Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

BEARSLOOKOUT posted:

Sorry, that did come off pretty ambiguous. It looks like I'm going to Windsor if I don't see any waitlist movement in my favor at other schools. I just meant in terms of studying, exam prep. Important things anyone knows now that they wish they knew when starting out.

EDIT: I should add, other than not going, dieing alone, and all that. It's too late for me now :(

Play sports with your classmates and make sure you have a good place to park. If you handwrite your notes, start typing them up loving early. Get outlines from upperclassmen. Go to office hours if you have any questions. If you don't have questions, try to find one of those decks of flashcard questions by subject and start trying to answer them. Do this anyway, I guess. Don't skip class. Don't date girls/boys in your section. Don't hit on them, either. If you sleep with them, be cordial. Don't stop exercising. Start exercising if you don't exercise. All of your hobbies and connections to the outside world are going to disappear and resistance is probably futile but just try to be cognizant of what a horrible loving nerd you're turning into. Find practicing attorneys that're alums/working in your chosen field/from your hometown as soon as possible and ask them for advice. Don't try to make them like you (but be likeable) and don't try to get jobs; literally ask them questions you have about the profession because Career Services doesn't know poo poo and your professors' experience was entirely different to the one you face. Try to figure out what you want to do early, and be willing to change your mind, but learn as much as you can about particular fields as early as you can (spring at the latest, I think). Make some upperclassmen friends and friends at different grad schools. Maybe get a pet. Try to work in some good eating habits because they're going to deteriorate. Come up with a good answer for "why did you choose to go to law school" because you're going to get asked it a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
^^That needs to be set to the Sunscreen Song.

Cordyceps
May 16, 2011

quote:

In an effort to tackle this growing issue, Senators Dick Durbin (D-Ill.), Al Franken (D-Minn.), and Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.) have introduced the Fairness for Struggling Students Act of 2011 in the U.S. Senate. Representatives Steve Cohen (D-Tenn.), Danny Davis (D-Ill.), John Conyers (D-Mich.), and George Miller (D-Calif.) introduced the related Private Student Loan Bankruptcy Fairness Act of 2011 in the House of Representatives. Both bills would restore the ability to discharge commercial student loans in bankruptcy proceedings, reversing a 2005 change to the law for borrowers who find themselves unable to make payments on their loans.
Don't kill yourselves just yet unemployed bros, on the 0.01% chance this passes there may be hope for us yet

Slobjob Zizek
Jun 20, 2004

Carooe posted:

Don't kill yourselves just yet unemployed bros, on the 0.01% chance this passes there may be hope for us yet

Lol, now that all student loans originate from the Dept. of Education, there is zero chance that very serious deficit hawks (most of Congress) will vote for something like this.

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Yep! One advertisement even plainly stated that it pays so poorly you need to have a very supportive partner.

That sucks. I'm definitely counting my lucky stars that criminals are running wild in Alberta. Apparently, they're expecting a new wave of oil and gas workers since the market is going back up. You know what that means: An increase in impaireds, drug possession, and assaults!

This was not a good article to see in my email during articling week: http://www.lawtimesnews.com/201106068480/Headline-News/Articling-crisis-set-to-grow

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

Sulecrist posted:

Play sports with your classmates and make sure you have a good place to park. If you handwrite your notes, start typing them up loving early. Get outlines from upperclassmen. Go to office hours if you have any questions. If you don't have questions, try to find one of those decks of flashcard questions by subject and start trying to answer them. Do this anyway, I guess. Don't skip class. Don't date girls/boys in your section. Don't hit on them, either. If you sleep with them, be cordial. Don't stop exercising. Start exercising if you don't exercise. All of your hobbies and connections to the outside world are going to disappear and resistance is probably futile but just try to be cognizant of what a horrible loving nerd you're turning into. Find practicing attorneys that're alums/working in your chosen field/from your hometown as soon as possible and ask them for advice. Don't try to make them like you (but be likeable) and don't try to get jobs; literally ask them questions you have about the profession because Career Services doesn't know poo poo and your professors' experience was entirely different to the one you face. Try to figure out what you want to do early, and be willing to change your mind, but learn as much as you can about particular fields as early as you can (spring at the latest, I think). Make some upperclassmen friends and friends at different grad schools. Maybe get a pet. Try to work in some good eating habits because they're going to deteriorate. Come up with a good answer for "why did you choose to go to law school" because you're going to get asked it a lot.

Choose law school... But why would I want to do a thing like that?

Forever Zero
Apr 29, 2007
DUMB AS ROCKS
http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2011/06/21/law_schools_shrink_enrollments_in_face_of_poor_job_market_fewer_applications

Well it seems the lower ranked schools are finally taking some responsiblility.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Forever Zero posted:

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2011/06/21/law_schools_shrink_enrollments_in_face_of_poor_job_market_fewer_applications

Well it seems the lower ranked schools are finally taking some responsiblility.

A while back in a previous thread, I (I think it was me, please see my ego post a page ago) made the modest proposal of Goon Law School. Staffed entirely with law school thread lawyers, for the affordable sum of $30k/yr. Probably with a correspondence program. Definitely an international environmental law of the seas focus program. Also, ALCU law.
With this news, I see a niche. Those not accepted to Touro and Creighton.

What do you say? Smells like full employment for this thread to me. 9-5? Hell no! 10-whenever that class is done; roughly six-figure salaries (before of counsel positions); you get to tell pompous big law lawyers that you're a law professor with a big smug smile. Free tweed jacket.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Do we have to publish?

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

nm posted:

Definitely an international environmental law of the seas focus program. Also, ALCU law.

Brilliant idea. Trick careless and dyslexic people into thinking we teach ACLU law, and then it turns out they're learning about Association of Local Colleges and Universities law, but they're already in law school so it's not like cutting their losses and leaving is an actual option. Too embarrassing! And they can't sue us for misleading them.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

commish posted:

Do we have to publish?

We could call the Law and Order people and see if we could sell them some script drafts. But we wouldn't have to publish scholarly articles unless we wanted to.

Also, dibs on teaching Homesteader Law 101 and History of the History of Criminal Law History Classes.

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

I will teach Adverse Possession for Fun and Profit.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

commish posted:

Do we have to publish?
No, but we'll have a vanity journal. Profs get to publish free. Everyone else is $5k/article.

I will teach Dumptruck Law (Which will cover being a solo DUI attorney who takes felonies to pre-lim but no further as well as actual dump trucks) and be the Dean of Financial Aid and Collections (Forceful).

nm fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 23, 2011

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I don't know a fuckin thing about anything which I feel uniquely qualifies me for a prestigious & powerful position within a law school's administration

nm
Jan 28, 2008

hypocrite lecteur posted:

I don't know a fuckin thing about anything which I feel uniquely qualifies me for a prestigious & powerful position within a law school's administration
Dean of Students and Career Services

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Dibs on teaching students how to commit white collar crime.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So Craigslist now has a "Resume" section, which is basically filled with the most desperate people putting their resumes (or descriptions of themselves) online. I imagine that the success rate for this part of Craigslist is 0% - I really, really doubt that employers of any size or in any field will offer an interview to some random person who puts their resume up on Craigslist.

After a little searching:

quote:

MY NAME IS EDWINA MONTAGUE AND I AM A PARALEGAL IN WASHINGTON, DC. I HAVE APPROXIMATELY 25 YEARS WORKING FOR SOME OF THE MOST PRESTIGIOUS LAW FIRMS IN THE CITY. I CURRENTLY WORK FOR MYSELF, AND CAN OFFER YOU LEGAL ASSISTANCE AT REASONABLE RATES. I WILL PROVIDE MY RESUME UPON REQUEST. I HAVE EXTENSIVE EXPERIENCE IN ALMOST ALL FACETS OF LAW, INCLUDING LANDLORD TENANT AND BANKRUPTCY, TO NAME A FEW. I AM FAMILIAR WITH THE DISTRICT AND UPPER MARLBORO COURT SYSTEMS AND CAN PREPARE ANY PAPERWORK NEEDED FOR COURT FILINGS ALONG WITH FILING THE ACTUAL PAPERWORK. I CAN DO ANYTHING AN ATTORNEY DOES FOR YOU WITH REGARDS TO THESE MATTERS. IF YOU ARE IN NEED OF REASONABLE LEGAL ASSISTANCE, PLEASE CONTACT ME AT 202/421-8913. LOOKING FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU.

Wow, I am tempted to report this poor desperate woman to the DC Bar Counsel for unlicensed practice of law, but I'm not that much of a douchebag.

quote:

Accomplished and resourceful professional seeks opportunity in law and/or business. Law background includes successful tenures as in-house general counsel, corporate secretary, and corporate director for several companies in different industries. Have advised companies in electronic media, entertainment, telecommunications, financial services and technology businesses. Have completed billions of dollars of transactions. Significant experience as attorney, and in both advisory and principal sides of private equity and venture capital businesses. Core legal competencies involve M&A, corporate, commercial, financial, employment, real property, intellectual property and regulatory matters, with substantial transactional experience across a broad range of contracts and licenses. Business background includes sales, operations and executive management experience, in addition to role as lawyer. Simultaneously focused on risk/expense management and value creation. Can also telecommute or work remotely, depending upon opportunity. Please contact me to discuss ways we can work together.

Really? You think that someone in your position is going to find a new job through the resumes section of craigslist?! Jesus that speaks loads about your credibility.

And then we got this guy:

quote:

I AM LOOKING FOR A VA BARRED ACTIVE ATTORNEY FOR AT LEAST 10 YEARS OR RETIRED FOR NO MORE THAN FIVE YEARS TO MENTOR ME. (IF YOU HAVE A PRACTICE THAT YOU NEED SOME HELP IN, I CAN ASSIST YOU AS WELL FOR FREE). I AM CURRENTLY ATTENDING AN ON LINE LAW SCHOOL BECAUSE I CANNOT GET INTO A TRADITIONAL LAW SCHOOL BECAUSE OF FUNDS AND FAMILY DEMANDS. I AM LOOKING TO PARTICIPATE IN WHAT THEY CALL A LAW READER PROGRAM FOR AT LEAST 2 YEARS (BECAUSE I AM ELGIBLE FOR THE ADVANCED STANDING OPTION). IF YOU NEED TO KNOW MORE ABOUT THIS PLEASE RESPOND TO THIS EMAIL ON CRAIGSLIST AND WE CAN DISCUSS THIS FURTHER

Yes, Virginia still does the law reader program, but wow if this guy thinks he's going to find an attorney mentor through craigslist. Yeeeeeesh.

Trolling through craigslist makes me feel so sleazy.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

nm posted:

No, but we'll have a vanity journal.

"Reasons CaptainScraps is Pretty Swell: An introspective look at the use of color in Scraps' well-tailored pants and also why he should be out of them." BigHead & nm, Neckbeard Law Review, Vol. 74 (2012)

commish
Sep 17, 2009

entris posted:

Trolling through craigslist makes me feel so superior.

Me too!

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
I call Admissions. "Unfortunately, as I'm sure you've heard, the economy isn't that great these days. It's definitely had a negative impact on our students' ability to find jobs. Our average starting salary has decline to $140,000 and our at-graduation employment rate slipped to 93%."

By the way, did any of y'all know that Regent University used to be named the Christian Broadcasting Network School of Law? Because holy loving lol.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

entris posted:

So Craigslist now has a "Resume" section, which is basically filled with the most desperate people putting their resumes (or descriptions of themselves) online. I imagine that the success rate for this part of Craigslist is 0% - I really, really doubt that employers of any size or in any field will offer an interview to some random person who puts their resume up on Craigslist.

Wow, I am tempted to report this poor desperate woman to the DC Bar Counsel for unlicensed practice of law, but I'm not that much of a douchebag.

Really? You think that someone in your position is going to find a new job through the resumes section of craigslist?! Jesus that speaks loads about your credibility.

Yes, Virginia still does the law reader program, but wow if this guy thinks he's going to find an attorney mentor through craigslist. Yeeeeeesh.

I should totally post on that.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

entris posted:

It's a given that anyone that uses the Caps Lock function in lieu of punctuation is someone you don't want in charge of anything detail oriented.

srsly posted:

I will teach Adverse Possession for Fun and Profit.

I know enough about the Rule Against Perpetuities to sound as though I know what I'm talking about.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 23, 2011

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005
Deleted because I clearly don't know what I'm doing.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

entris posted:

I'm teaching ethics to my paralegal intro class in a couple of weeks, so this gives me a real-world example of what not to do. You'd think someone who claims to have so many years of experience in a law firm would know by now what she can and cannot do. Yikes.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday
I'd like to teach a seminar in strip club law, if you please.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Solomon Grundy posted:

I'd like to teach a seminar in strip club law, if you please.
Only if you agree to do a clinic as well.

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

The cross-pollination opportunities here are staggering.

IANAL
Apr 18, 2008

FUSC

Omerta posted:

I call Admissions. "Our average starting salary has declined to $140,000 and our at-graduation employment rate slipped to 93%."

What miracle of mathematics did they employ to ever get these numbers?

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

He's talking about Goon Law School, so I don't really see anything wrong with those numbers.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.
I can teach LRW. Make them buy a Blue Book, give them Lexis and Westlaw access with a load of old documents in Word and Word Perfect format, write "Ctrl+C" and "Ctrl+V" on the board, then cut them loose.

e: Ideally, where would this Gooniversity be located?

e2: vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv Jesus loving Christ. :(

IrritationX fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 24, 2011

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!
Mid Year reviews today (even though I have been there for almost a year). I am apparently "adequate" in everything that I do and not good at anything. And my work ethic is "questionable." Apparently I should be putting in more than 12 - 18 hours a day as a staff attorney, good to know.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
I'd like to be in charge of merit scholarships. :twisted:

e: Jesus, HooKars. :glomp:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

HooKars posted:

Mid Year reviews today (even though I have been there for almost a year). I am apparently "adequate" in everything that I do and not good at anything. And my work ethic is "questionable." Apparently I should be putting in more than 12 - 18 hours a day as a staff attorney, good to know.
You want to be our ethics prof?

Save me jeebus posted:

I'd like to be in charge of merit scholarships. :twisted:
Only if you agree to pull them from everyone with a GPA below 3.95

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

nm posted:

Only if you agree to pull them from everyone with a GPA below 3.95

That was the plan.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

nm posted:

You want to be our ethics prof?

Will probably edit this out in a day or so so don't fully quote the above review

HooKars fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 26, 2011

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

HooKars posted:

Perfect.

To quote:

REDACTED

I have never been so happy to be in a union as I am right now. The world would pretty much end if I got a review like that and a single word in it was even arguable.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

HooKars posted:

To quote:

Blah blah blah, we give everyone bad performance reviews so we can fire them later if need be.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

HooKars posted:

Will probably edit this out in a day or so so don't fully quote the above review

I really wish this profession was less about keeping bridges unburned so you could burn this one in the spectacular way it deserves to be :(

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

MaximumBob posted:

I have never been so happy to be in a union as I am right now. The world would pretty much end if I got a review like that and a single word in it was even arguable.
The union is the reason I have to sign in/out at the start and end of my work day, like some sort of minimum wage food service worker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

10-8 posted:

The union is the reason I have to sign in/out at the start and end of my work day, like some sort of minimum wage food service worker.

I've been a minimum wage food service worker, the system usually involves carding in or keying in. It's much more advanced than a mere sign-in book. So you're actually signing in like a food service worker from the 70s.