Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I can't believe Frank West was the Iblis Trigger all along

Thanks for this rad episode, friends! I've had a rough Christmas weekend (misgendered and deadnamed by my family and such), and this was a great balm for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

fit em all up in there posted:

Hello F Plus thread. I just wanted to say how thankful I am for the podcasts. My mom passed away Tuesday from Covid and pneumonia complications and the show is really helping me be distracted, even if it’s just one or two episodes.

poo poo, man. I am really, really sorry to hear this.

Please be well, goon.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I love Nier Automata :neckbeard:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ewe2 posted:

I love Nier Automata :neckbeard:

the running count of 'machine' was really good

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

Would love to hear more lore episodes.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

i finally listened to i don't even own a tv and i like it. do more series of unfortunate events

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

T-man posted:

i finally listened to i don't even own a tv and i like it. do more series of unfortunate events

you don't say

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

T-man posted:

They hit a slump for a while this year but their newest episode is really good. JW Friedman has done a few F Plus spots and those are all fun as well.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

miniscule12 posted:

Would love to hear more lore episodes.

yea this and the star wars wiki F Plus were great, as a big nerd for a lot of these I adore hearing relatively normal people try to figure out why they even bothered doing poo poo like 'Luuuke Skywalker'.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The best lore episodes are the dozerfleet ones.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I still have no idea what dozerfleet is?

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

"Someone called me a bulldozer and I'm like, gently caress you I'm a hundred bulldozers" is still one of my favorite lines to come out of Lemon's mouth in an episode.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Dozerfleet is a fictional universe in which a Midwestern shutin is the most important media creator and leader of a global media conglomerate. Every idea he's ever had has become a multi million dollar franchise.

I don't know why he keeps up that fantasy, but that's the elevator pitch.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

bony tony posted:

Dozerfleet is a fictional universe in which a Midwestern shutin is the most important media creator and leader of a global media conglomerate. Every idea he's ever had has become a multi million dollar franchise.

Delusional megalomania. It's this or he gets on meds. Or becomes yet another mass shooter.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea it's fairly normal 'what if in my world I was actually the most important person in my field' fantasy stuff but, ya know, painstakingly written out by someone who should have outgrown it an just absolutely chock full of insane nonsense like 'WOMEN WHO WEAR THAT SHIRT DIE BECAUSE THEY'RE WHORES'

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

sexpig by night posted:

yea it's fairly normal 'what if in my world I was actually the most important person in my field' fantasy stuff but, ya know, painstakingly written out by someone who should have outgrown it an just absolutely chock full of insane nonsense like 'WOMEN WHO WEAR THAT SHIRT DIE BECAUSE THEY'RE WHORES'

Mixed in with stuff that’s like, normal stuff a kid would come up with while playing with his toys but painstakingly catalogued online by a grown man next to his stuff for a series where a gay Latino gives people AIDS by licking them.

The sheer volume of it is also some :stare: stuff, the wiki is probably longer than War and Peace.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The sheer volume of it is also some :stare: stuff, the wiki is probably longer than War and Peace.

If memory serves, the longest written work in the English language is currently some Harry Potter fanfic.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
The funniest (and probably most revealing) part of the Dozer Fleet Universe is how he wrote extensive, lengthy TV Tropes articles for most of his make-believe franchises, such as QBasic Gorillas

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
And the spoilers are in spoiler tags!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Really annoyed that the 17 new posts in the F+ thread aren't an intactivist meltdown. Serious blue balls here.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

T-man posted:

speaking as an uncircumcised woman,

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Midjack posted:

If memory serves, the longest written work in the English language is currently some Harry Potter fanfic.

It’s a Super Smash fanfic. It’s something insane like 3 million words.

Five times the length of War and Peace. It’s something that might make for a fun doc but trying to find the gold in that mine seems like it would be... difficult.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I remember actually finding Dozerfleet back in one of the TV Tropes mock threads way back when. At one point I think I had a shoutout on the episode page because Cheapskate credited me for discovering it?

But the TV Tropes articles was where I first found him because I had noticed one of his creations constantly showing up on TV Tropes pages and the descriptions being like little tidbits, then finding the pages for the works themselves, and from there the links to the wiki. It was a wild time.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Djeser posted:

I remember actually finding Dozerfleet back in one of the TV Tropes mock threads way back when. At one point I think I had a shoutout on the episode page because Cheapskate credited me for discovering it?

But the TV Tropes articles was where I first found him because I had noticed one of his creations constantly showing up on TV Tropes pages and the descriptions being like little tidbits, then finding the pages for the works themselves, and from there the links to the wiki. It was a wild time.

When and how did you realize, exactly, that his various works do not actually exist? Take me inside that moment.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Arrhythmia posted:

When and how did you realize, exactly, that his various works do not actually exist? Take me inside that moment.

To be fair, when it came to people posting trope examples from their own work on TVTropes, "the work doesn't actually exist beyond an idea/outline or maybe like two chapters of a planned fantasy epic" was pretty standard. It was a rich vein of people talking about their masterwork they were definitely gonna write at some point, they swear, look at all these things it'll have in it!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I believe there's even been at least one whole episode about it. Lot of people who like the idea of writing but not the act of it so they concern themselves with everything around it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Antivehicular posted:

To be fair, when it came to people posting trope examples from their own work on TVTropes, "the work doesn't actually exist beyond an idea/outline or maybe like two chapters of a planned fantasy epic" was pretty standard. It was a rich vein of people talking about their masterwork they were definitely gonna write at some point, they swear, look at all these things it'll have in it!

Didn’t they have to move a bunch of those projects into a sub part of the site because there were so drat many of them?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

bony tony posted:

The most bizarre thing is, I don't even think it's supposed to be a fictional universe where he's a big shot - it's just a matter of fact catalogue of bullshit he came up with / which happened to him, with no claim to broader cultural relevance. It just... exists, without explanation why it should be extensively documented. Like the newsletter about his dog eating tomatoes is treated with the same gravitas as Stationery Voyagers.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Arrhythmia posted:

The strange thing is that a lot of his works do exist. They just don't always exist in the format you think they do. Most of the time they exist as Sims machinima comics. One of the bits that they never covered in the episodes because it's very boring and interesting mainly if you're a webdev type, is that he applies his systematic obsessive record-keeping to the format of his webcomics. Like he bumps the version number of his cumbersomely-titled "webcomic format" (which is literally just what if a webcomic...had navigation buttons) when he switches the aspect ratio of his Sims webcomics. I think at one point he was even doing "remasters" (i.e., re-posing the sims and taking new screenshots) to update them from one version of his "format" to another.

Also as AV pointed out, the default assumption for "original works" on TV Tropes is that they are largely speculative in nature anyway. I don't think I ever thought he really was the media conglomerate that he roleplays as, because the crazy is so immediately evident even in tiny slices. My response to finding it was mostly "holy shiiiit, I gotta tell goons".

Also, I knew people like him in real life. Not exactly like him but like, nerdy guys with vague, likely-undiagnosed spectrum disorders who would hyperfocus on specific phrases and obsess with the trappings of things, raised by socially conservative parents so they wind up adopting a bunch of heinous views so you end up with poo poo like "the Crooked Rainbow is the evil gay supervillain coalition run by a gay latino who licks people to give them AIDS" because that's the only way they can wrap their brains around all the hateful rhetoric? That was a thing I saw in people I knew growing up and as soon as I clocked it in Dozerfleet, I understood. He still absolutely sucks and I don't have much sympathy for him, but it clicked and I nodded and said "ah, you're That Guy."

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

steinrokkan posted:

The most bizarre thing is, I don't even think it's supposed to be a fictional universe where he's a big shot - it's just a matter of fact catalogue of bullshit he came up with, with no claim to broader cultural relevance. It just... exists, without explanation why it should be extensively documented. Like the newsletter about his dog eating tomatoes is treated with the same gravitas as Stationery Voyagers.

I think where it gets interpreted like that is because of the matter of fact way he talks about things like Stationery Voyagers being cancelled after four seasons

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I want to be a fly on the wall in the classrooms where he showed off the many school projects

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Djeser posted:

The strange thing is that a lot of his works do exist. They just don't always exist in the format you think they do. Most of the time they exist as Sims machinima comics. One of the bits that they never covered in the episodes because it's very boring and interesting mainly if you're a webdev type, is that he applies his systematic obsessive record-keeping to the format of his webcomics. Like he bumps the version number of his cumbersomely-titled "webcomic format" (which is literally just what if a webcomic...had navigation buttons) when he switches the aspect ratio of his Sims webcomics. I think at one point he was even doing "remasters" (i.e., re-posing the sims and taking new screenshots) to update them from one version of his "format" to another.

Also as AV pointed out, the default assumption for "original works" on TV Tropes is that they are largely speculative in nature anyway. I don't think I ever thought he really was the media conglomerate that he roleplays as, because the crazy is so immediately evident even in tiny slices. My response to finding it was mostly "holy shiiiit, I gotta tell goons".

Also, I knew people like him in real life. Not exactly like him but like, nerdy guys with vague, likely-undiagnosed spectrum disorders who would hyperfocus on specific phrases and obsess with the trappings of things, raised by socially conservative parents so they wind up adopting a bunch of heinous views so you end up with poo poo like "the Crooked Rainbow is the evil gay supervillain coalition run by a gay latino who licks people to give them AIDS" because that's the only way they can wrap their brains around all the hateful rhetoric? That was a thing I saw in people I knew growing up and as soon as I clocked it in Dozerfleet, I understood. He still absolutely sucks and I don't have much sympathy for him, but it clicked and I nodded and said "ah, you're That Guy."

what version of the sims tho, because doing so in sims 1 would be very funny

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

I think where it gets interpreted like that is because of the matter of fact way he talks about things like Stationery Voyagers being cancelled after four seasons

As Djeser wrote above, he definitely has a folder of terrible The Sims screenshots or MS Paint drawingsthat in his mind constitutes 4 seasons worth of storytelling.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Imagine being such a hardass producer that you cancel your own show

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

steinrokkan posted:

As Djeser wrote above, he definitely has a folder of terrible The Sims screenshots or MS Paint drawingsthat in his mind constitutes 4 seasons worth of storytelling.

Definitely, but if you’re only getting a “best of” through the F Plus or an atrocity tourism thread, I can totally see how someone could read that as him RPing as having a successful media conglomerate.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

To me, the way that he used terminology like that felt like that's how he knew to describe creative projects. He is, in a technical sense, a 'creative' individual but despite going through all sorts of media arts community college classes he still seems to treat creative works the way someone would who can tell you all about the plot of an obscure Marvel side series from the 1980's but who doesn't know what a letterer is. So while someone else, who's been part of a creative community before, might say "I shelved that pens project I was working on, yeah I'd worked out a couple seasons of plot but it wasn't going anywhere", he understands creative works from the perspective of a consumer of creative works, so it's not that he stopped working while in the planning phase, it's that it was cancelled after four seaons

T-man posted:

what version of the sims tho, because doing so in sims 1 would be very funny

Sims 2, although:

quote:

The first true Proto Gerosha could be described as an experiment that was conducted in a copy of The Sims Deluxe in December of 2004. This work established the first Triangulum; and produced the earliest-known versions Stan and Shalia Flippo, Marissa Hood, and Reily Flippo. Test Gerosha was an early attempt to re-create these characters in The Sims 2. With it came the creation of the earliest-known version of Tobey Flippo.

Also, please have this link to his tedious explanation of "webcomics":

https://dozerfleet.fandom.com/wiki/DVD-Storybook_Hybrid_Webcomic_format

And because on the page where I found the Sims 2/Sims Deluxe quote, I saw that "Hyper-Uber-Proto Gerosha" was a blue link of course I clicked it.

quote:

Hyper-Über-Proto Gerosha is one of many narrative universes that comprise the Gerosha multiverse in Dozerfleet Comics. It is said to be the primordial predecessor of all currently-understood Gerosha continuity, having pre-existed the term "Gerosha" itself. It also goes by such nicknames as the Initial Gray Champion Fanfic Standalone Universe, the Dozerfleet Hawthorne Fanfic Universe, and the Gray Champion Proto-Universe. It first existed in September of 2001, and was succeeded by Über-Proto Gerosha in October of 2002.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I am closing all Dozerfleet wiki tabs now. You cannot touch Dozerfleet without getting sucked further into Dozerfleet. It was as true in 2013 as it is today.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Djeser posted:

I am closing all Dozerfleet wiki tabs now. You cannot touch Dozerfleet without getting sucked further into Dozerfleet. It was as true in 2013 as it is today.

If I ever have free time anytime soon a new Dozerfleet doc is on the to do list. That and r/retconned.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Goddamn if Dozerfleet isn't the gift that keeps on giving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

why isn't there a somethingawful document