Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Had to google that, seems like a US thing? In Sweden and can’t recall any similar recommendations.

It doesn't have anything to do with what country you are in, camping at least a few hundred feet from bodies of water is generally good practice because ecosystems at the edge of the water tend to be more delicate. Though it looks like there was a picnic table there so maybe you were on a developed site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Had to google that, seems like a US thing? In Sweden and can’t recall any similar recommendations.

It's seriously a protip and has allowed me to sleep under a tarp without a bugnet for most of the season, also in Sweden. Old, somewhat elevated and drafty pine forests are usually best. Eg:

Dry pine needles on the ground is a great sign since it means the ground is very well drained, no water for bugs to breed in.

This was in the middle of a bog and surprisingly bug free considering.

Another advantage of staying away from the water is that you get less condensation and higher temperatures in the morning.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I just did two real dumb hikes Friday and Sunday and I feel like dying. Maybe 6 years ago I could do fairly lengthy ones on back to back days but I was also running about 25 miles a week. Now I feel dead even with a day of rest

I got the strava tracks

https://www.strava.com/activities/4024187673

https://www.strava.com/activities/4024187755

On the first one I went down the west side of the mountain and had to walk all the way back around to the trailhead. Was not a great time

Hotel Kpro fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Sep 7, 2020

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Alamoduh posted:

I don’t know how this happened but I won the lottery for the half dome cables at Yosemite for Tuesday. Do I need to do anything special to prepare or bring anything unusual? I’m super hyped. Weather looks like it will be completely clear.

Bring gloves with some grip. I used cheap gardening gloves. Some people use carabiners to clip onto the cables but it isn't required.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Hiked in with the kiddo to Chapel Beach. Weather was pretty amazing, wind gusts up to 40 mph on Superior made the shoreline a bit brisk. We arrived early and had no issues with parking but saw a lot of people arriving at noon on our way out that had to walk a mile or so to the trailhead.

The only bummer was the kiddo stepped in human poop. He, being 10, thought this was as funny as whoever poo poo on the toilet seat lid at the trailhead. 10 minutes of stomping and tromping in a pine forest/sugar sand took care of it. We saw lots of toilet paper piles just off the trail.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Spent a night at Echo Lake in the Catskills. The trails that get there are pretty meh and it’s a bit far from anything interesting but the lake itself is gorgeous and I love it. There’s a lean-to and seven official campsites with fire pits and chairs made out of stones piled up around it and all of them were taken that night. Luckily everyone was pretty quiet.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
This has probably been covered in the thread already, but what are some small container suggestions for carrying olive oil?

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I’ve had luck with transporting all sorts of small liquids using small Nalgene containers. I can’t seem to find them on their website, but at REI there were a bunch of bins that had varying sizes. They were near the GoToobs and other stuff you might throw in a Dopp kit or something.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Small nalgene containers are pretty much the best for everything. They make a huge variety of sizes for lab use that work great for hiking. https://www.amazon.com/Nalgene-Kitchen-Storage-Jar/dp/B00XISIQ02

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I favor this design, to me the lid seems more secure. Plus, lots of size options.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P88NGU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just be aware if you put sriracha into one of them, that will be the sriracha container for the rest of human history.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
For the sake of reducing waste a touch I'll note I use Kirkland vanilla bottles for olive oil or any other liquid I want to bring with me. Never experienced any seepage and they've held up well over the years. They come with a poo poo load of vanilla in them so they don't make themselves available to me super often.. but hey, might inspire a couple people to look in their cabinets before buying more plastic.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Koth posted:

This has probably been covered in the thread already, but what are some small container suggestions for carrying olive oil?

My wife and I do blue apron meals which come with little condiment bottles perfect for backpacking. I just wash them out and fill them with whatever I need: salt and pepper, seasonings, hot sauce, olive oil ...

They work great, no leaks and I think they hold an ounce each.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Koth posted:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZT6FK52/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_n88vFbV771GT6

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Wife and I did the High Sierra Trail over 5 days (9/2 --> 9/6).

Got super lucky with smoke from all the fires. First day hiking in from Crescent Meadow to Hamilton Lake it was a bit smoky, but cleared up that night.

Night two at Morraine Lake was the smokiest -- it started blowing in as we arrived and got pretty bad when we went to sleep.

When we woke up in the morning though, clear blue skies! We dropped down into the Kern the next day and stayed north of all the smoke. Slept like babies at Junction Meadow Trail Camp.

Got up early on morning four and climbed up to the east to Guitar Lake. Again, clear skies.

Woke up at 2am and made the Mt. Whitney summit in time for sunrise. Didn't hit smoke until we got down to Lone Pine Lake, about an hour before getting to our car at Whitney Portal.

A++ would recommend our luck.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
People need to stop "reverse commuting" on the trails right now. They aren't wide enough to support good social distance (and I didn't want to see anybody anyway).

Henceforth:

In and back, you must start between sunrise and sunrise+4hr. Those starting before sunrise are free to return at any time. Others must wait until the end of the incoming, unless the destination has limited space, then it's 1-for-1.

Loop trails shall be hiked counterclockwise unless posted directions say otherwise.

One way journeys shall be traveled from lower to higher elevations, in the direction of greatest ascent. Getting back... who knows.

:razz: :phoneline: :corsair:

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

People need to stop "reverse commuting" on the trails right now. They aren't wide enough to support good social distance (and I didn't want to see anybody anyway).

Henceforth:

In and back, you must start between sunrise and sunrise+4hr. Those starting before sunrise are free to return at any time. Others must wait until the end of the incoming, unless the destination has limited space, then it's 1-for-1.

Loop trails shall be hiked counterclockwise unless posted directions say otherwise.

One way journeys shall be traveled from lower to higher elevations, in the direction of greatest ascent. Getting back... who knows.

:razz: :phoneline: :corsair:

Did the half dome cables today. I think I got started a little late, because when I got the the cables, literally everyone was leaving and nobody was coming, so I got to the top with three other people there (4 total). There was literally no one on the cables when I was coming down, so I got to do a stupid two hand rappel kind of thing all the way to the bottom in my motorcycle gloves.

I talked to two girls who had done the sunrise start from the backpacker camp and they said it had been packed for them.

Maybe the best time to get there during Covid is noon?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

In Finland like 1/3 of surface area is bogs. 2/3 of the bogs have drainage dikes to whatever closest body of water. Paper mills drain to lakes. Fields are next to lakes, rivers etc and the fertilizers from forests and fields etc drain to them.

So, some guy camping next to a body of water is probably the smallest problem while all that other poo poo gets drained to lakes in massive amounts. Most of the waters were quite clear 100+ years ago but today most lakes are different shades of brown, visibility being generally poor. Previously clean sand beaches have grown full of weeds etc.

---

Anyways, does anyone carry monoculars/binoculars while hiking, to look at stuff? On my last trip there were multiple situations where I wish I could have seen reindeers, landscape, trees, rock formations etc. closer. So I bought some 13oz/365g 6x32 Opticron compact binoculars...

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 9, 2020

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I will carry binoculars on a day trip but never backpacking. I have two sizes, both 10x. One small and one a traditional big rear end pair.

Looking at stuff is cool.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah, I'd like to get a scope to bring for bird watching. My binoculars are too heavy. Last backpacking trip I woke up surrounded by red-eyed vireos and wished I could see them better.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

I have a growing pile of optics and the smallest I personally bring anywhere is a pair of Zeiss Terra ED 8x25 binos. They weigh 316 grams, have excellent glass, and are solid as hell. I would not really recommend anything else from their Terra line, but they knocked it out of the park performance/value wise with this particular model.

But most of the time it's the Swarovski SLC 8x30 binos that come along. Around 2x the weight but they are my "do everything" binoculars.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Ihmemies posted:

Anyways, does anyone carry monoculars/binoculars while hiking, to look at stuff? On my last trip there were multiple situations where I wish I could have seen reindeers, landscape, trees, rock formations etc. closer. So I bought some 13oz/365g 6x32 Opticron compact binoculars...

Birding is at least 50% of my reason for being out hiking so I drag my full size Bushnell Legend M 8x42, which are heavy (~750g) and bulky even compared to other 8x42 roof prism models. I'm looking at getting a lighter 8x32 though, because it's just too big and heavy.

I find 8x to be the sweet spot for birds, but the wider field-of-view of 6x should be nice for some of the larger objects you mentioned. It looks like they also have a very good minimum focus distance, so don't forget to use them to enjoy butterflies, flowers, checking to see if your shoes are tied, etc.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I did some silly mountain I had been trying to climb for like 6 years. I'd go back every year around this time and try again. This was the nasty part up

The views were alright

Then I did this other mountain that had the second or third worse slog on rocks I can remember

Sometimes I wonder what it's even worth when it's that much of a crap march

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Birding is at least 50% of my reason for being out hiking so I drag my full size Bushnell Legend M 8x42, which are heavy (~750g) and bulky even compared to other 8x42 roof prism models. I'm looking at getting a lighter 8x32 though, because it's just too big and heavy.

I find 8x to be the sweet spot for birds, but the wider field-of-view of 6x should be nice for some of the larger objects you mentioned. It looks like they also have a very good minimum focus distance, so don't forget to use them to enjoy butterflies, flowers, checking to see if your shoes are tied, etc.

Opticron sells the same Traveller BG Magnesium 32mm lens model in 6x, 8x and 10x versions. They all weigh about the same 13oz/under 400g. They are not optically the best, for better image quality they sell ED versions but they have a plastic housing instead.

6x and 7x models have not been popular for a long time. There are like thousands of 8x and 10x models and only a couple of shorter ones. Finland doesn't have views like posted above, unless you drive far north to Lapland (the drive takes a full day).

I'll have to see if the magnification is enough or not... Winter is coming (or whatever is left of it because of climate change) and days will be short and sun doesn't rise very high. So brightness should be more useful than reach in those conditions.

Reindeers seemed to be quite tame, in one small.. peninsula? There were a couple of reindeers foraging lichen.. or something like that. I could get to maybe 10 meters before they started to move further away.

Usually at least in southern Finland views are lakes, wet bogs without trees, or rare hills from where you can see around a bit. So I thought needing a long reach would not be that necessary.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I have some 8x25 ED Hawke's, I don't think they are that great optically but they are definitely good enough for most things, and fold down nicely to a good size.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I use this monocular and it was the MVP of my last trip - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OD7Z36
Only weighs like 6 ounces, and its great for scoping out distant trails or looking at birds or marmots.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Hotel Kpro posted:

I did some silly mountain I had been trying to climb for like 6 years. I'd go back every year around this time and try again. This was the nasty part up

I'm terrified of and avoid these kinds of climbs because it looks like one step on those rocks would create an avalanche

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

ROFLburger posted:

I'm terrified of and avoid these kinds of climbs because it looks like one step on those rocks would create an avalanche

Sometimes it happens. You have to judge how secure those rock slides are before you get to far into them. Some are more grounded than others. It helps if there is a mix of big rocks that are secure into the ground. The hard part is the rock is always more firm towards the bottom where the angle isn't as extreme and the rock had settled which encourages people to go higher where the rock becomes less stable and more likely to slide. As you go up just pay attention to how loose it is. If it's loose and falling as you go up, it's going to be way worse going down. Also never go straight up above someone, and never go up directly beneath someone in fear of falling rocks.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
loving scree slopes.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah those rocks were fairly stable. It's the areas without rocks that create the problems because it's usually hard packed dirt. You get zero traction so you have to go around and avoid it completely. This was the area that was much more prone to rock slides

Going up kinda sucks, but coming down is the real dangerous part since you push into every rock pile with your full weight. I've found facing the mountain and essentially going down on all fours to be the best method to get down from poo poo like that.

Also closer to the trailhead is this cool feature, which is the only reason there were other cars at the trailhead cause practically no one else climbs these mountains

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

All packed up for a week in the Badlands/Black Hills and one more day of work tomorrow is going to be so loving hard :negative:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Hotel Kpro posted:

The views were alright

Then I did this other mountain that had the second or third worse slog on rocks I can remember

Sometimes I wonder what it's even worth when it's that much of a crap march

going down can be fun though

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
What was the air temperature? This is either a :cool: sunny day in the mountains, or a stroll across devil's anvil :flame:

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

What was the air temperature? This is either a :cool: sunny day in the mountains, or a stroll across devil's anvil :flame:

The day I camped out at the trailhead it was 97F. Day of the hike 91F in town. Somewhere between 60-70 given the elevation. I ended up buying a shirt in town that says "I like big mountains and I cannot lie" confirming that I'm definitely a bit of a dork

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE APARTHEID ACADEMIC

It's important that institutions never take a stance like "genocide is bad". Now get out there and crack some of my students' skulls.
My partner and I got super sick of being cooped up in my apartment in Toronto this summer, so last month we packed up my car and drove to the Rockies to get a change of scenery. We ended up spending four weeks along the AB and BC border, hiking every other day or so. We capped the trip off with a backpacking trip along the Rockwall in Kootenay NP, which was incredible. If I had to pick a single highlight, though, I would definitely choose the Abbott Ridge trail in Glacier NP (of Canada!). It blew everything else away---Banff, Yoho, Kananaskis country, even the Rockwall. I got a ton of great photos from everywhere, though, and I thought I'd share:

Abbott Ridge, Glacier NP

Rockwall, Kootenay NP

Yoho NP

Kananaskis

Banff NP

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Those are all simply spectacular

This one :eyepop:

Do you have the raw version of this? I want it as my desktop background now

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 16, 2020

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008

THE APARTHEID ACADEMIC

It's important that institutions never take a stance like "genocide is bad". Now get out there and crack some of my students' skulls.
I have the RAW and the hi-res processed jpeg. Which one do you prefer? For RAW you will need a lens profile as well I suppose (I used a Sigma lens with a Sony alpha a6000 body).

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Fuuuuuck. Ive been enjoying CO of course but I had to scrap my Montana trip again and this ain't helping. Great pics.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Oakland Martini posted:

I have the RAW and the hi-res processed jpeg. Which one do you prefer? For RAW you will need a lens profile as well I suppose (I used a Sigma lens with a Sony alpha a6000 body).

Oh just the hi Rez jpg would be fine.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

That is stunning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008

THE APARTHEID ACADEMIC

George H.W. oval office posted:

Oh just the hi Rez jpg would be fine.

Try this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/58ptpjex622g2hz/DSC04764.jpg?dl=1