Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I got Return to Arkham and have been playing through it. I like how when you use a ladder, if you're not on the right side, Batman will just swing around to the correct side so you can go up and down. Also, no falling damage is pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Danaru posted:

Anthony Burch said outright that new u stations don't exist in the game world only in the metagame, despite his own characters loving acknowledging them.

Anthony Burch is a pathetic hack

To his credit he actually said he wished he didn't make them part of the universe because of all the complications it caused on the storytelling end.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Feonir posted:

Nier: Automata is a platformer by Platinum games with Taro Yoko at the helm.

People are going to be curious about its origins and play Nier...people are going to be playing Drakengard because of Nier. People are going to be attempting Ending E on Drakengard in 2017.

I feel like this post also needs go to the Schadenfreude thread because the levels of suffering are going to spike into infinity and I cannot wait.

The first Drakengard is a terrible game filled with amazing little things.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

well, there's a word I haven't seen in a while

Can't say I've particularly missed it, myself.

Edit: Content: Saints Row 4: Roddy Piper's cameo.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

WickedHate posted:

There is a quite real possibility someone will go from Wonderful 101 another platinum game right into a Taro Yoko driven Nier:Automata.

You would need to HALO jump into the Mariana Trench to act as an example of the kind of tone shift those players will be experiencing.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Feonir posted:

There is a quite real possibility someone will go from Wonderful 101 another platinum game right into a Taro Yoko driven Nier:Automata.

You would need to HALO jump into the Mariana Trench to act as an example of the kind of tone shift those players will be experiencing.

That would require someone to have actually played Wonderful 101.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Nohman posted:

That would require someone to have actually played Wonderful 101.

Fight me irl

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Digirat posted:

Well borderlands was mentioned in a thread so I guess it's time to read the exact same creepy hate wank about anthony burch I've read probably fifteen times on the forum already.

Its funny cause nobody brought that up but you, guess you really don't like him huh...

Really everyone's just talking his writing which is just not very good.

quote:

To his credit he actually said he wished he didn't make them part of the universe because of all the complications it caused on the storytelling end.

A good writer could have fit them or found a way to make Roland's death actually mean something.

quote:

Drakengard is amazing game for the simple fact that the character you play has 0 redeeming qualities, he's not someone with a heart of gold, he's not some anti-hero, he is the most hosed up, evil rear end in a top hat in the entire game surrounded by a motley crew of even more hosed up people than you, and this is the guy you're supposed to root for as murder child soldiers by the thousands. More games need a reprehensible rear end in a top hat as the main character.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Alteisen posted:

Drakengard is amazing game for the simple fact that the character you play has 0 redeeming qualities, he's not someone with a heart of gold, he's not some anti-hero, he is the most hosed up, evil rear end in a top hat in the entire game surrounded by a motley crew of even more hosed up people than you, and this is the guy you're supposed to root for as murder child soldiers by the thousands. More games need a reprehensible rear end in a top hat as the main character.

Hey, give him some credit, he rejects his sister's incesty love for him. That should technically count as a redeeming quality, aside from it resulting in her suicide and as a result of that the apocalypse.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I dunno I just shot man's and when Roland didn't respawn assumed Hyperion had something to do with it. Y'all put way too much thought into the intricate story of Loot Treadmill FPS edition.

The problem is the loot treadmill is broken and gives you junk 99% of the time.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

WickedHate posted:

Hey, give him some credit, he rejects his sister's incesty love for him. That should technically count as a redeeming quality, aside from it resulting in her suicide and as a result of that the apocalypse.

The giant baby one or the one that ends with you getting poo poo down by F-16's in the modern day?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Rimworld is so good. I have a pretty advanced colony right now, and decided to try building a transport pod launcher since I hadn't really screwed around with the world map stuff since the update. As it gets completed, a raid happens, and these assholes from a rival faction managed to land a lucky headshot on one of my better colonists before getting turned into mulch by my sizable array of security turrets. The colonist survives, but her headshot injury becomes permanent, dropping the HP of her head low enough that she passes out all the goddamn time and eats up a lot of time getting treatment. She's also old with a lot of age-related conditions, an expert level shooter, and mad as hell about that whole "permanent crippling brain injury thing".

So I load her up in the transport pod with an LMG, a belt of frag grenades, and a psychic animal pulser. I choose as my destination the nearby hostile faction town that the raiders came from. The game asks if I want to aim her at the edge of the map or the center - I go with center.

The transport pod crash-lands in the middle of the enemy barracks (apparently through the roof?). There's nobody in the barracks right now but there's like 15 heavily armed motherfuckers in the rest of the compound and outside. So she activates the psychic animal pulser, and suddenly it's like Noah's Ark as directed by James Wan. Hundreds of animals of every variety swarm the enemy compound, shredding the soldiers who barely have time to realize what's happening. A few guys armed with molotov cocktails get some shots off against the animals, starting a massive firestorm on the map. The few enemies that were inside rushed out to either beat the fire out or try to rescue their comrades, but were quickly torn apart by the animals.

The fire burned open a wall and the animals got to my colonist, but she had a heroic last stand lobbing grenades at everything that moved as the world burned down around her. The enemy outpost was killed so hard it disappeared from the map.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

WickedHate posted:

He also kills a man so hard that it kills Death itself.

Alteisen posted:

The giant baby one or the one that ends with you getting poo poo down by F-16's in the modern day?

Cannibal babies.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Calaveron posted:

Giant salt woman. And then drakengard 3 was against five giant flower women

The clearest memory I have of the entire game is running down to the campus computer lab to print out a guide where someone had painstakingly typed out all the X and O's or whatever button presses for the last boss and then just mashing off of that instead of looking at the screen.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The flower woman one could eat a dick cause the last 2 notes happened while the screen was dark, I knew actual musicians who had trouble with that part.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Alteisen posted:

The flower woman one could eat a dick cause the last 2 notes happened while the screen was dark, I knew actual musicians who had trouble with that part.

Miss one and redo the 4? 5? Minute long sequence all over again. It is definitely one of the cruelest challenges in a game.

For things i actually do like in FFXV, Ramuh, the lightning summon, has a staff with the a carving of Ixion, an alternate lightning summon used in one game that replaced Ramuh.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Barudak posted:

Miss one and redo the 4? 5? Minute long sequence all over again. It is definitely one of the cruelest challenges in a game.

For things i actually do like in FFXV, Ramuh, the lightning summon, has a staff with the a carving of Ixion, an alternate lightning summon used in one game that replaced Ramuh.

Nier continued the trend with an ending that deletes your save game from the system.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Feonir posted:

Nier continued the trend with an ending that deletes your save game from the system.

It's probably not a little thing, but I loved that ending D required a significant sacrifice, not from the characters, but from the player.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

ro5s posted:

It's probably not a little thing, but I loved that ending D required a significant sacrifice, not from the characters, but from the player.

God help you if it was the save where you did Life in the Sands. Doubly so if you did not abuse the system clock to do that quest.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I honestly can't think of a game series that made such a jump in quality between editions as Resident Evil. 6 is dog poo poo while 7 is loving amazing.
The chainsaw battle is the raddest loving thing in a game I've played in a long time.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Feonir posted:

God help you if it was the save where you did Life in the Sands. Doubly so if you did not abuse the system clock to do that quest.

That was the only quest I couldn't bring myself to finish. I do like that there's a quest that sends you to every town in the game and then you get absolutely nothing for it. It was too funny for me to actually be angry at the game.
Automata isn't going to be the same without Weiss arguing with people and scaring away the fish.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

scarycave posted:

That was the only quest I couldn't bring myself to finish. I do like that there's a quest that sends you to every town in the game and then you get absolutely nothing for it. It was too funny for me to actually be angry at the game.
Automata isn't going to be the same without Weiss arguing with people and scaring away the fish.

Bring back Boar Drifting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d1mFfFxiVw

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

OldTennisCourt posted:

I honestly can't think of a game series that made such a jump in quality between editions as Resident Evil. 6 is dog poo poo while 7 is loving amazing.
The chainsaw battle is the raddest loving thing in a game I've played in a long time.

RE6 is one of the best co-op action games I've ever played.

I would say that 5 was the poo poo one, but that was mostly because I played the PC version on a spotty connection, and RE5 has kinda poo poo netcode.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm reading through the FF15 thread but I think some piece of comon knowledge may be wrong, or there was a patch I didn't know about between Dec 29th and Now, as I have definitely got Sturdy Helixhorns from normal Spiracorns. During the Last Spiracorn hunt the first thing I hit was the face of the Spiracorn and I got the sturdy horn, then I got another from a group that was entirely Spiracorns. Was there a patch to make getting them easier, or was I just obscenely lucky?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Twitch posted:

I would say that 5 was the poo poo one, but that was mostly because I played the PC version on a spotty connection, and RE5 has kinda poo poo netcode.

5 was great, I even got a rando friend out of cooping on gfwl. the steam version has Steamworks now.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

well, there's a word I haven't seen in a while

never forget

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Oh my god they forgot the L, this is great.

Also yeah, jeeze I didn't think I'd ever see wigger past middle school. Time to see if anyone still calls people they don't like emo.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Leal posted:

Also yeah, jeeze I didn't think I'd ever see wigger past middle school. Time to see if anyone still calls people they don't like emo.

emo got replaced with hipster, and its still goin strong

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Twitch posted:

As someone who only plays single player, I quite liked 6 and never bought 5 because the partner AI and inventory managed to piss me off just in the demo.

Does Leon's suplex in 4 count as a little thing for this thread? Because I loved that for about a third of the game, his stun attack was a suplex instead of the more restrained kick.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Sunswipe posted:

As someone who only plays single player, I quite liked 6 and never bought 5 because the partner AI and inventory managed to piss me off just in the demo.

Does Leon's suplex in 4 count as a little thing for this thread? Because I loved that for about a third of the game, his stun attack was a suplex instead of the more restrained kick.

You can actually do the suplex through the whole game. Shoot out a person's legs and when they're on their knees you use the melee prompt from behind them. It's also crazy useful cause it always destroys the person's head.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Poops Mcgoots posted:

You can actually do the suplex through the whole game. Shoot out a person's legs and when they're on their knees you use the melee prompt from behind them. It's also crazy useful cause it always destroys the person's head.

I'm pretty sure you can't until around when you reach the castle.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I'm pretty sure you can't until around when you reach the castle.

Or rather, the suplex works on zealots and soldiers, but not villagers. Something like that.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Digirat posted:

This is some sort of weird thing that gets spread around by people who have never played it. When it started coming up repeatedly about a year after the game came out, I thought it seemed odd that it didn't match my experience with the game it all so I looked it up. There's a big list of references the game makes on its wiki and the actual meme section is this tiny part at the bottom which almost entirely consists of challenge names and short enemy lines you're pretty unlikely to even hear. None of it is in quest dialogue.

There was certainly plenty of that, but I'm also pretty sure I've see posts calling out specific jokes as forced memes or something because...they wrote a line into the game and hoped you would laugh at it and I guess that's what a meme is now. Though like you said, maybe they didn't actually play the game so they just jumped to a bizarre conclusion when some nerd on the internet somewhere mentioned it.

I mean, if unfunny nerds referencing something ad nauseum reflects poorly on the source material, then Portal must be the worst piece of media in human history.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Sunswipe posted:

Best little thing in 4 was the neck break in Mercenaries mode. the wiimote makes a very satisfying crunching sound.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Leal posted:

There's a Wigger Law Firm in my area and I always think it's slightly unfortunate that someone actually has that last name.

Content: I started Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney this past weekend and this game's primary prosecutor, as others had informed me of before, has a really kickass sprite animation sequence where he does this sick air guitar move. It looks mighty complex and I appreciate the spritemakers' work in all that detail.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Action Tortoise posted:

5 was great, I even got a rando friend out of cooping on gfwl. the steam version has Steamworks now.

I played it last year, so well after Steamworks was implimented. There was just something with either my connection or my co-op partner's connection (I played with the same friend through the whole game) where boss AI would occasionally bug out, QTEs would have time limits of less than a second, or button-mashing QTEs would last like 30 seconds. Also we would have to try to create the session twice before it would work, every time. Still a good game, but it clearly doesn't handle connection problems as well as many other games, such as RE6.

Since this is the little things in games thread, I'll add that locking up a big enemy by shooting them in the leg then spinkicking them repeatedly never got old in Resident Evil 4, 5, or 6.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

WickedHate posted:

That's basically yoko taro games .txt though. Nier isn't terrible so much as it is mediocre gameplay-wise and great in the story and music department though. Hopefully Automata is better in the gameplay by virtue of being worked on by Platinum.

:negative: now to wait for the PC version. I really, really hope they make a PC port of the original nier.

Twitch posted:

I played it last year, so well after Steamworks was implimented. There was just something with either my connection or my co-op partner's connection (I played with the same friend through the whole game) where boss AI would occasionally bug out, QTEs would have time limits of less than a second, or button-mashing QTEs would last like 30 seconds. Also we would have to try to create the session twice before it would work, every time. Still a good game, but it clearly doesn't handle connection problems as well as many other games, such as RE6.

Since this is the little things in games thread, I'll add that locking up a big enemy by shooting them in the leg then spinkicking them repeatedly never got old in Resident Evil 4, 5, or 6.

Does modding still work for 5? Now that Gold Edition is on steam I can finally live my dream of Barry and Barry saving the world from Barry and his nefarious plot. Model/character swapping in the original PC version was super unstable but could be hilarious.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

It's funny that RE5/6 just came up, I bought both of them in the steam winter sale because my friend loved playing RE5 back in the day and wanted to play it again. It was actually a ton of fun, we went through the game a bunch of times even beating it on the hardest difficulties and going for 100% steam achievements (that didn't require doing the pvp multiplayer anyway).

I definitely got the impression that the game would be garbage playing it solo, and while we haven't beat RE 6 yet I get the same impression there. They're both fantastic co-op experiences for people who really love a co-op campaign.

For a favorite little thing: Spamming the partner button to yell at your friend when you're waiting for them to push their button or something. It reminded me of the 'annoy your friends' button in the mario party games.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Agent355 posted:

For a favorite little thing: Spamming the partner button to yell at your friend when you're waiting for them to push their button or something. It reminded me of the 'annoy your friends' button in the mario party games.

Duck Game's designated Quack button is the best for this, whether for mass-spamming quacks or doing a single passive-aggressive quack at the end of a round.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bmJpnhHlDs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

RE5 was a magical experience. It probably isn't an intentional moment, but I'll always remember beating the final boss with my buddy. We wasted all our ammo on his invincibility phase, so instead we pulled out our shock batons and wailed on Wesker for like 15 minutes before he finally went down. We just kept picking each other up when we went down and eventually clobbered his rear end to death.