Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

zedprime posted:

Ben Franklin published his cave dwelling dwarf friend's abolitionist pamphlet which makes him basically even.

born undersized, live in a cave
breaking the chains is all that I crave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008

3D Megadoodoo posted:

A decent person has never owned a person.

Grant owned a slave for little longer than it took to free said slave. (His in-laws gifted him a slave, which Grant quickly granted freedom).

Yeah, doesn't really refute anything you said, I just like Grant.

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer

Soul Dentist posted:

Wow that's rough, but he plays a pretty tight bass line tho

I mean, dying choking on your own vomit in a Paris apartment sounds pretty on brand for a 70s rockstar. And I guess the same would go for, uh, some of the other things mentioned also. :gonk:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

PharmerBoy posted:

Grant owned a slave for little longer than it took to free said slave. (His in-laws gifted him a slave, which Grant quickly granted freedom).

Suddenly his in-laws were blowing up his phone, saying he was an rear end in a top hat. What do you think? AITA?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly trying to apply modern standards of decency and/or morality to anyone born before 1950 is kind of dumb and the further back in time you go the dumber the attempt becomes

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly trying to apply modern standards of decency and/or morality to anyone born before 1950 is kind of dumb and the further back in time you go the dumber the attempt becomes

Idk, can you hold anyone to any standard of decency at all? Look at all the racists who approve of slavery irl right now (prison labor etc): is that not a mainstream belief, therefore how can we judge them for holding it?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

drrockso20 posted:

John Brown (and a lot of other abolitionists) existed though so everyone could’ve done better.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

InediblePenguin posted:

Idk, can you hold anyone to any standard of decency at all? Look at all the racists who approve of slavery irl right now (prison labor etc): is that not a mainstream belief, therefore how can we judge them for holding it?

Yes you can, my stance is more a matter of practicality than anything, it's just too exhausting to bother trying to hold all of human history up to exacting modern standards, but little Jimmy Skinhead of Huntington Beach being a racist shithead is someone I can get behind mocking(and maybe pummeling with a tire iron if the opportunity comes up)

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Sure, we all have to draw our own lines. My own feelings are that there were active, open abolitionists throughout the entire period of modern Western chattel slavery and it's fair to judge people for owning people even in 1793 because plenty of their contemporaries were telling them they were wrong and they chose profit anyway

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Except for all of the posters who have owned you

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

drrockso20 posted:

Even back then there were people that knew and understood that slavery was wrong. There have always been people that understood that

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

christmas boots posted:

Even back then there were people that knew and understood that slavery was wrong. There have always been people that understood that

Technically most of them didn't count as people

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Grant was given a person by his in-laws. Prior to this he had been working alongside and with his in-laws slaves on their property. In real poverty, selling firewood so his family can eat poverty, he frees that slave.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

Before 1950, good people generally did not know how to read or write. There is a reason historical uprisings have generally included the widespread destruction of documents.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Whooping Crabs posted:

Except for all of the posters who have owned you

Snap.

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

St. Kilda is also the source of one of the oldest breeds of sheep in the world, the Soay sheep!

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Brawnfire posted:

Welp, guess I'm booting up Sid Meier's Pirates!

That game has one of my favourite anachronisms in it. One of the things that the game draws from for random ship names is major cities from the country the ship is sailing for. You can encounter a Dutch ship named Lelystad, the provincial capitol of Flevoland, the province that got created in the twentieth century by draining parts of an inland sea. The city of Lelystad wasn't incorporated until 1967.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Re: civil war talk I'm fond of Brennan Lee Mulligans take on the confederate soldier who has had some time to think
(posting from my phone so apologies if I gently caress up embedding this)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAZJVkelgcg

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

ok fair enough

him and afaik John Adams get to be the exceptions that prove the rule

everyone else is a rogues gallery of the worst people

This is the John Adams that had people imprisoned for questioning the great President John Adams, right?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

just lmao if you're still trying to make the "well you can't really judge them by modern standards" argument about fuckin chattel slavery

there were people back then who knew that slavery and genocide and racism were wrong, people like the aforementioned John "the crimes of this guilty land shall not be purged except by blood" Brown

relativism was developed as an academic framework to analyze historical societies within a contemporary context and absolute fuckin dweebs on the internet turned it into "well actually you can't judge people for doing things that we now know are bad" like homie yes tf we can, that's what progress is

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

venus de lmao posted:

just lmao if you're still trying to make the "well you can't really judge them by modern standards" argument about fuckin chattel slavery

there were people back then who knew that slavery and genocide and racism were wrong, people like the aforementioned John "the crimes of this guilty land shall not be purged except by blood" Brown

relativism was developed as an academic framework to analyze historical societies within a contemporary context and absolute fuckin dweebs on the internet turned it into "well actually you can't judge people for doing things that we now know are bad" like homie yes tf we can, that's what progress is
At a certain point it kind of shades into "everyone born before a certain date, with certain saintly exceptions, was a wretched bigot and despicable monster," which I don't think is a very useful way to look at history, even on a casual/fun-facts basis.

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

This is the John Adams that had people imprisoned for questioning the great President John Adams, right?
He was a mod??

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

venus de lmao posted:

The slaves were presumably pretty vocal about it too I'm guessing

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Nessus posted:

At a certain point it kind of shades into "everyone born before a certain date, with certain saintly exceptions, was a wretched bigot and despicable monster," which I don't think is a very useful way to look at history, even on a casual/fun-facts basis.
is really funny to me how people just repeatedly over and over respond to "specifically, the topic of chattel slavery was in fact acknowledged as evil by an awful lot of people while it was going on" with slippery slope bullshit about how unfair it is to say that EvErYoNe In AlL HiStOrY wAs EvIl and poo poo..................

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I'm sorry bros but these pyramids gotta get built

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

venus de lmao posted:

I didn't say you can't judge them, just that it's too exhausting to do that all the time for all of history

Nessus posted:

He was a mod??

Exactly

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean in the end they are dead so judge them, don’t it honestly doesn’t matter.

Unless you want to Cadaver Synod them I suppose

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Both John Adams and Alexander Hamilton would be forums mods

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean in the end they are dead so judge them, don’t it honestly doesn’t matter.

Unless you want to Cadaver Synod them I suppose

The Diet of Worms

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

I didn't say you can't judge them, just that it's too exhausting to do that all the time for all of history

Exactly
We're not doing it all the time for all of history we are talking about ownership of human beings during the modern period of chattel slavery. Specific and limited topic. The goalposts are clearly marked. Why are you and nessus determined to move them rather than acknowledge that owning people was bad even 200 years ago

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Stop it with the moral relativism or take it to D&D or something.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Soul Dentist posted:

I'm sorry bros but these pyramids gotta get built

The pyramids weren't built by slaves

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Barry Foster posted:

Duh, you can't enslave aliens, they would just fly away.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They paid the aliens in beer.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

christmas boots posted:

You can go even further back in time. There's accounts from monks in 870 who were appalled by the viking slave trade and spent all their money trying to buy the slaves' freedom back.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Barry Foster posted:

Not the ancient ones, now get to work!

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Barry Foster posted:

Think you fell for a pretty obvious troll there. It's almost a meme at this point that the pyramids weren't built by slaves.

yes we all know it's aliens obviously

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

wheatpuppy posted:

Duh, you can't enslave aliens, they would just fly away.

You don't enslave the aliens, the aliens enslave you. Haven't you watched Stargate?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kassad posted:

You don't enslave the aliens, the aliens enslave you. Haven't you watched Stargate?

*Stargåte

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

A weather report from Horsens, Denmark 1826 (I was looking at health dept records & this one doctor had noted the summer temperature)

It was a hot one: 22–25° Ré = 27.5–31.25° C

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 10:17 on Jul 14, 2023