Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

of loving course

yeah I was bummed during the primary to find that when their guy was coerced to drop out to prop up Biden, they were all basically ecstatic that about it giving Pete a shoe-in somewhere in Biden's cabinet. You can't troll these people, their expectations are so much lower than any of us would believe. I bet the Pete subreddit still gets hundreds of new posts a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

gradenko_2000 posted:

the lmaocrats

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Stringent posted:

i don't know who nix panicus is, but this is a drat fine post

What a maroon! Double is a bald-faced lie; everyone knows it was only reduced by 31%, so this represents up to a 45% increase from the temporary low.

-Person who insisted it was halved

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

0 rows returned posted:

remembering two months ago is traumatic though

Its doxxing, helldumping, and even arguing in bad faith. Instant permaban imo

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

gradenko_2000 posted:

if you define being in poverty as "has an income of less than X dollars per day", then giving people more money, such that they're brought over that line, no longer makes them impoverished by definition

criticisms over this form of discourse tend to revolve around the fact that the line drawn to define poverty is usually way too low, combined with the fact that we now count people in poverty as a percentage rather than as an absolute number (because the latter will almost assuredly demonstrate that progress is going backwards in that respect), but that's not even the problem with the claims being laid out with regards to the bill

to say that a bill will "cut child poverty in half" as a function of their families being given enough money through the bill to drag them over that line that defines poverty would be technically just fine if they'd actually be getting that kind of money, but:

* it's only for a year

So in a year, Joe Biden plans to double child poverty.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Look if child poverty was bad we would have gotten rid of it. We really need to get more child cages and you're worried about poverty? Get a clue you leftists, there could be a dang cheeto in the white house right now.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
do you have any idea how hard it would be for me to go into my job sending emails for 3 hours a day without seeing some story of a child selling lemonade for a relative's medical care?

besides, if we get rid of child poverty, what the hell are democrats going to run on???

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
ending 100% of child poverty? GUESS YOU LIKE TRUMP!!!

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

the lmaocrats

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

they latched on to "cut child poverty in half" SO HARD you knew there had to be something in there

but this?

:lmao:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

democrats will cut the number of kids in cages at the border by 31% for one year and call Biden the most progressive president of all time on immigration

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

silicone thrills posted:

One thing that Biden offered is his deep experience with grief and loss. He lost a wife and a son, so he understands emotional loss in a way that few presidents have. The psychic wound to this country caused by Covid (and really the last four years) is deep, and we do need someone to be the consoler-in-chief. That he can engage retail politics mode while standing at a WH lectern is probably his greatest asset as a politician.

in a way, we should be thankful his idiot wife and bound to be lovely baby died, as they saved america through their empowerment of joe biden

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Mike the TV posted:

So in a year, Joe Biden plans to double child poverty.

pretty impressive

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

if you define being in poverty as "has an income of less than X dollars per day", then giving people more money, such that they're brought over that line, no longer makes them impoverished by definition

criticisms over this form of discourse tend to revolve around the fact that the line drawn to define poverty is usually way too low, combined with the fact that we now count people in poverty as a percentage rather than as an absolute number (because the latter will almost assuredly demonstrate that progress is going backwards in that respect), but that's not even the problem with the claims being laid out with regards to the bill

to say that a bill will "cut child poverty in half" as a function of their families being given enough money through the bill to drag them over that line that defines poverty would be technically just fine if they'd actually be getting that kind of money, but:

* it's only for a year
* it's going to be handled by the IRS, which so many poor families do not interact with that there's guaranteed to be millions falling through the cracks
* the study that argues that it will cut child poverty in half assumes that it was partnered with a minimum wage hike, which didn't happen

like, if the Dems passed a bill that was to the effect of "every person in America gets 300 dollars mailed to them by the Post Office, every month, in perpetuity", and then they use that to claim that so many million people are no longer in poverty just from the statistical effect of a person receiving 300 bucks a month is no longer underneath the poverty line, that would be far more credible even if you don't tackle all the issues of "is the line defining poverty high enough to begin with?", or "what if your landlord just raises the rent?"

but this bill that the Dems just passed has so many caveats to it that you can't even make that simple claim

lol I didn't know this bit that it includes a hypothetical minimum wage increase that didn't happen

jesus christ

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

gradenko_2000 posted:

* it's only for a year
* it's going to be handled by the IRS, which so many poor families do not interact with that there's guaranteed to be millions falling through the cracks
* the study that argues that it will cut child poverty in half assumes that it was partnered with a minimum wage hike, which didn't happen

like, if the Dems passed a bill that was to the effect of "every person in America gets 300 dollars mailed to them by the Post Office, every month, in perpetuity", and then they use that to claim that so many million people are no longer in poverty just from the statistical effect of a person receiving 300 bucks a month is no longer underneath the poverty line, that would be far more credible even if you don't tackle all the issues of "is the line defining poverty high enough to begin with?", or "what if your landlord just raises the rent?"

but this bill that the Dems just passed has so many caveats to it that you can't even make that simple claim

Can I have a citation on the third bullet point, if you have one, to save for later?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Lol oops dems did a fucky wucky and forgot the important wage boost to make the child poverty actually happen

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
TIL that the power lobbiests have comes not from money or the interests they represent, but from the amount they get to talk to politicians. They're the only ones politicians hear, but if we all band together to call our fantastic democrat representatives, thank them for their service, and offer kindly words of encouragement, the amount of speech from constituents will exceed the speech of lobbiests and they will be defeated. I'm glad d&d is here to light the path forward, I thought electoralism was dead but it's actually as easy as clapping for tinkerbell to bring her back to life.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Wait a minute... If tragedy is necessary to make someone a good, empathetic president, is anyone concerned that the parents of all those kids Obama, Trump, and now Biden locked up might all run in the 2028 Democratic primary and steal Kamala's destiny away from her?

Oh dear god... what about the parents of all the children we killed abroad? They might come to America en masse and totally take over our political system. :ohdear:

Nichael has issued a correction as of 15:03 on Mar 12, 2021

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

TIL that the power lobbiests have comes not from money or the interests they represent, but from the amount they get to talk to politicians. They're the only ones politicians hear, but if we all band together to call our fantastic democrat representatives, thank them for their service, and offer kindly words of encouragement, the amount of speech from constituents will exceed the speech of lobbiests and they will be defeated. I'm glad d&d is here to light the path forward, I thought electoralism was dead but it's actually as easy as clapping for tinkerbell to bring her back to life.

lol

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

'Child poverty' is a great target for dems because they can play definition games to make it to where whatever they are doing also solves child poverty without any material change to the people involved

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

galenanorth posted:

Can I have a citation on the third bullet point, if you have one, to save for later?

https://twitter.com/JerryBuchko/status/1370027264029515777

So this is the page linked in that tweet:

https://www.povertycenter.columbia.edu/news-internal/2021/presidential-policy/biden-economic-relief-proposal-poverty-impact

if you go to the PDF, you'll find this:

so I used the Wayback Machine and picked out a snapshot from March 2, 2021: http://web.archive.org/web/20210302...-poverty-impact

On the second page of the paper, we find this:

But if you go back to the live version of the paper:

???

no minimum wage!

EDIT: To be clear, the note does make it clear that they updated the paper to reflect the effects of only the things the bill is actually doing. I'm not accusing the authors of necessarily trying to HIDE the minimum wage point. I'm saying they had to revise the numbers downwards once they took it out.

gradenko_2000 has issued a correction as of 15:17 on Mar 12, 2021

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

I'm so glad its settled that 50% of kids were pulled out of poverty because some loving douchebag with a star two towns over says so.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

look we created a program where people can engage in gladitorial combat to the death for the chance to win exactly enough income to meet the poverty line

child poverty reduced by 100%

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://www.povertycenter.columbia.edu/news-internal/2021/presidential-policy/biden-economic-relief-proposal-poverty-impact

so I used the Wayback Machine and picked out a snapshot from March 2, 2021: http://web.archive.org/web/20210302...-poverty-impact

???

no minimum wage!

goddamn this is some lol

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Nichael posted:

I really don't get how they're arriving at the "cut childhood poverty in half" number. To actually do that would require a massive restructure of American society. Did that happen?

It's so dishonest. Does anyone actually believe that giving families 3K per kid is "lifting them out of poverty"? $3,000 is a couple month's rent, a car repair, a trip to the ER. After the money is spent, people will still be working for starvation wages. They still won't have good health insurance. They'll still owe on their student loans and credit card debt.

Not to mention that this bill is supposed to be pandemic relief, compensating people for what they've lost due to massive unemployment and the economy going in the shitter. And it's not even adequate for that. I'm sure there are people who've been unemployed for a year who are in the hole way more than $3,000 even with unemployment, right? This is a band-aid, and of course it's better than nothing, but "ending poverty" lol come the gently caress on.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

gradenko_2000 posted:

???

no minimum wage!

lol so they just took out the minimum wage which was used in their study and didn't change the calculations at all.

so basically the 50% reduction is just made up and not based on anything

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The Pussy Boss posted:

It's so dishonest. Does anyone actually believe that giving families 3K per kid is "lifting them out of poverty"? $3,000 is a couple month's rent, a car repair, a trip to the ER. After the money is spent, people will still be working for starvation wages. They still won't have good health insurance. They'll still owe on their student loans and credit card debt.

Yeah that's sorta the whole point of these criticisms, it's a very temporary boost. Dems are claming this is a historic win by just selectively playing games with the time axis.

Cuomo recently cut nursing home deaths by over 90%, you have to support someone with data that good!

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The Pussy Boss posted:

It's so dishonest. Does anyone actually believe that giving families 3K per kid is "lifting them out of poverty"?

They want to believe. And that's all that matters.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Uh the economy is booming, dow never higher. How dare you suggest people aren't making enough money to live!

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol so they just took out the minimum wage which was used in their study and didn't change the calculations at all.

so basically the 50% reduction is just made up and not based on anything

It was "in half" before they added the minimum wage change in February, after which they changed it to "by more than half". The percentages from the three versions are -51.1%, -57.8% (after inclusion of the minimum wage raise and child tax credit expansion), and -56.0%. However, it's suspicious that each change in the study includes "to account for small adjustments in our simulation model", yet somehow even if they realized the model needed adjusting, it only needed adjusting when the law itself changed.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
gently caress the haters i'm still glad i was all in on bernie

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2021/03/12/sanders-amazon-union-bezos/

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/sirDukeDevin/status/1370357900997238784?s=20

got him

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

galenanorth posted:

It was "in half" before they added the minimum wage change in February, after which they changed it to "by more than half". The percentages from the three versions are -51.1%, -57.8% (after inclusion of the minimum wage raise and child tax credit expansion), and -56.0%. However, it's suspicious that each change in the study includes "to account for small adjustments in our simulation model", yet somehow even if they realized the model needed adjusting, it only needed adjusting when the law itself changed.

the 1.8% drop is the removal of 2 bucks an hour (2-4k a year depending on hours) and 400->300 on ui. while apparently adding the child tax credit is 5%. not really sure if I buy that poo poo even under the timeframe of 2021 and not a second longer

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Every one of these non media guys doesn't have a clue that they didn't care about child poverty before last Tuesday and how weird it is they are regurgitating the exact same phrase.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

so when people ask why Joe hasn't sent out the 2k checks yet, they say it's up to Congress

but when Congress passes a bill that "cuts child poverty in half", it's Joe Biden that's behind that???

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lol you didn’t cut poverty in half because you gave up on the min. wage

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Poverty is over!

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/djrothkopf/status/1370354783719194631

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

This needs to retweeted/posted absolutely every time someone here or on twitter uses the "cuts child poverty in half" talking point.

I was thinking "how do these checks cut poverty in half??" and then the punchline is this study.

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
they could have ended child poverty entirely but it was too expensive. krysten sinema did a little dance while voting to keep child poverty. Joe's bros from delaware did a tag team thumbs down at the thought of parents being able to buy new clothes for their kids.