Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

Fungah! posted:

olympos might be one of th worst books ive ever read lol, just absolutely stupid top to bottom

I tricked myself into trying to read it twice because I really liked Ilium and hated Olympos enough to stop, then years later thought my memory must have been faulty

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

got halfway into a weird fiction collection recently and was like, wow, lot of short stories about necrophilia! and then later, ohh, thats why the book's called Kissing Carrion :doh: which was cute

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

I just finished going through the four current books of the Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson. I enjoyed them, couldn't put them down at times. the appeal is more about discovering how the world fits together and characters' internal journeys than just a traditional quest, though there are epic battles and stuff. the worldbuilding is sick. they feel very contemporary for high fantasy, obviously working to be inclusive and with a focus on mental health and overcoming adversity that hooks into the worldbuilding and works better than I'd expect. not gritty at all, if you need that in your fantasy. I'd recommend for high fantasy likers.

started up Our Share of Night on a friend's rec, cool so far

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Arch Nemesis posted:

I just finished going through the four current books of the Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson. I enjoyed them, couldn't put them down at times. the appeal is more about discovering how the world fits together and characters' internal journeys than just a traditional quest, though there are epic battles and stuff. the worldbuilding is sick. they feel very contemporary for high fantasy, obviously working to be inclusive and with a focus on mental health and overcoming adversity that hooks into the worldbuilding and works better than I'd expect. not gritty at all, if you need that in your fantasy. I'd recommend for high fantasy likers.

started up Our Share of Night on a friend's rec, cool so far

My daughter just cranked through all 4000 pages of those in a couple weeks. Being a kid and reading giant dragon books ftw. Up there with being a kid and watching 4 hours of anime after school

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The more i read by/about Dan Simmons the more I go from thinking he's one of those authors whose brain was completely broken by 9/11 to thinking he was always retarded and Hyperion was an accident.

Just finished Gideon the Ninth and I think a lot of ppl here would hate it because the characters all talk like tumblr posts but it somehow didn't bother me, enjoyed it immensely after a pretty rough first act

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Currently audiobooking Nuclear War: A Scenario by Annie Jacobsen. Really gripping + stressful, despite knowing from the outset that everyone’s in for a real bad time. Good stuff

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i loved dan simmon’s “the terror” so much that i started reading the aubrey maturin books

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

i loved dan simmon’s “the terror” so much that i started reading the aubrey maturin books

lol. loving dog food so much you try that steak thing out

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Just watched Paprika for the first time. Pretty wacky

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
what if satoshi kon was named satoshi bong

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

I got the tude now posted:

what if satoshi kon was named satoshi bong

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

scary ghost dog posted:

They're amazing. I'm halfway through the series and will be sad when it's over.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

HolePisser1982 posted:

Currently audiobooking Nuclear War: A Scenario by Annie Jacobsen

finished this in record time whilst having a shellshocked look on my face + thousand yard stare. supposedly villeneuve is adapting it once he finishes dune, which im looking forward to, as i will be able to finally be the "hrm, coulda been a lil more faithful to the books" guy

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

big recommend if you want a super scary page turner and also enjoy anti-nuke polemics [all the MGS heads salute at once]

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

HolePisser1982 posted:

big recommend if you want a super scary page turner and also enjoy anti-nuke polemics [all the MGS heads salute at once]

lol

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Rewatched My Cousin Vinny last night, still a god tier court movie.

Had a dream afterwards that my wife refused to have sex unless I signed a written affidavit using my "lawyer name" saying she was objectively better looking than Marisa Tomei is in the film, which was funny but I had to take great precision in my description of it

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

My Cousin Vinnie is awesome. I work with aot of lawyers these days and all of them love it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

My Cousin Vinnie is awesome. I work with aot of lawyers these days and all of them love it.

Yeah I can't really say I know much about the Alabama legal system but if it is anything like UK law it's extremely realistic up until the finale while still being incredibly funny

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

two of the lawyers I work with are Southern and they're it's biggest fans lol

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

two of the lawyers I work with are Southern and they're it's biggest fans lol

That reminds me of my Roman Law professor, who was from Louisiana (for some reason I can't remember, Louisiana law and Scots law are both closely based in Roman Law) and looked and acted exactly like you would expect. Often seen standing outside the uni smoking the biggest and most ridiculous pipe you've ever seen and somehow making it work

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

From a criminal defense lawyer standpoint, it's probably the best representation of a criminal jury trial on film. The only difference is there's no way the sheriff helps Vinnie at the end in real life. Also, Louisiana is the only state to resemble the Napoleonic Code system of law. The other 49 follow the common law system from England. I believe that's because Louisiana kept most of its French roots when it became a state.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

learning that half of imp zone are practicing lawyers

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

not to reveal too much but my job has slowly morphed into basically just reviewing and negotiating contracts, so I basically work with lawyers all day. but my only trial experience was serving on a jury once, so people who lived that for years sit next to me and I'm dying to watch all the court drama movies with them, lol.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

That’s the half that gets to ride the fated bus to ImpCon.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In Training posted:

learning that half of imp zone are practicing lawyers

Wormskull posted:

lol

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Wormskull posted:

lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

moms looking at the imp zone smiling at the commentary on my cousin vinnie but lamenting that nobody seems to be assessing the realism of medical dramas.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

herculon posted:

From a criminal defense lawyer standpoint, it's probably the best representation of a criminal jury trial on film. The only difference is there's no way the sheriff helps Vinnie at the end in real life. Also, Louisiana is the only state to resemble the Napoleonic Code system of law. The other 49 follow the common law system from England. I believe that's because Louisiana kept most of its French roots when it became a state.

Ahh that sounds familiar, I'm going back... 15 years here. Christ when did that happen.

Yeah dipped my toes in some criminal law but eventually decided I wanted to make above minimum wage and also not work 80 hour weeks, so I do employment instead and I'll probably never see a serious courtroom again. The finale definitely stretched it a bit with the sudden surprise witnesses and assistance but w/e it still works. I think his wife explaining how disclosure works to him after the hunting trip is one of the funniest law jokes I've ever seen, which is in fairness not a very high bar. My Cousin Larry

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I agree, the third act suffered from a bit of movie magic. Furthermore,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ8RUwy7RQc

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
law is one of my fantasy professions, intellectual property law in particular is genuinely interesting to me. like if i just could drop everything and commit to going to school and stuff i'd try that maybe. the other one is librarian because libraries are cool

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

mycophobia posted:

law is one of my fantasy professions, intellectual property law in particular is genuinely interesting to me. like if i just could drop everything and commit to going to school and stuff i'd try that maybe. the other one is librarian because libraries are cool

IP law is fuckin nuts dude, especially now. there are a lot of ways you can dip your toes into it in industry if you want.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

WHEREAS the Something Awful Forums LLC ("SA") wishes to train some of its members ("posters") in the legal profession and

WHEREAS the users in the Imp Zone subforum ("Imps)...

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

mycophobia posted:

My wife dropped out of being a lawyer like two months into her traineeship and became a law librarian, which sounds like the coolest job when you're able to just get on with it, but nobody cares about what you do until they've driven you out or made you redundant and then they realise you were vital to the company.

I have a friend who does IP law and it seems incredibly frustrating because the profession just cannot keep up with the insane speed stuff like AI is developing lol

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

WHEREAS the Something Awful Forums LLC ("SA") wishes to train some of its members ("posters") in the legal profession and

WHEREAS the users in the Imp Zone subforum ("Imps)...

powerful...

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

mycophobia posted:

fungahs in school for library stuff and he's a cool guy and my friend

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the dude who told myco that bows were the same as guns made me think of why I love contracts, lol. like reasonable people can totally get by on a handshake and if there's an issue where they remember things differently, it's almost always semantics and you just move past itm. simple as.

but defining terms and clearly laying out all the things an rear end in a top hat might do and preempting them is necessary because of all the freaks out there. it only works in the real world though, Koos will never get d&d to knock it off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Also becoming a librarian, here at least, involves getting a Masters in Library Science which is just an excellent sounding qualification to have