Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Amazing things are happening in China

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1781615402134770009?t=kgY4vDvL10Ip1IraXFRggw&s=19
https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1781621281689059520?t=cJsTCqTTKa5Nj7hnf5Ijvw&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Huh... getting communist governments elected...

God its so simple, I never even thought of that before, wow. Has anyone else looked into trying this?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
"Neither Washington nor Moscow/Beijing" always favors Washington because that is just solidifying the status quo.

As far as "how terrifying the world will be without the US," I actually rather skeptical.. The Russians, if anything were desperate to stay out of a war, and when they initially had to go in, they went in with a half effort at best. (I think others can address what the Russians actually have been doing in Ukraine.) China building on some atolls in disputed water is a relative non-issue.

Ultimately, Russia/China/India/Iran etc are not individually going to overpower each other, and while China specifically will be at head of the table, Eurasia is simply too tightly packed, with too many powers on it, for one power individually to just run roughshod over the others. If China tried,, India/Iran/Vietnam/Russia etc would be forced to unite against them just like Russia/China/Iran have united against the US now.

In addition, you have the issue of climate change, and eventually it is just going to force countries to work together for humanity to make it. If anything, without the US being such a disruptive presence, Eurasia and Africa would be more not less peaceful. It won't be the end of human conflict, but honestly, it is going to take generations for humanity to clean up the US' mess.

---------

Anyway, the biggest real issue is just that many Westerners, especially white males, will probably not be able to emotionally accept that they won't be on top of any more, and the psychological side effects of this are already clear. I would expect that white male loneliness, depression, suicide to continue to skyrocket and there to be a further turn to revanchist and far-right politics (if not eventually Nazism). It is just that the West won't have the material base to make work on those dreams because they already dismantled it.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 11:45 on Apr 20, 2024

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Calling out China for the South China Sea is the lamest poo poo because news flash bucko everyone is trying to claim it.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

suck my woke dick posted:

if you wanted to make that point without being a weird obsessive, you'd make the point that we need to change material conditions (plus build political power to make use of those conditions), which happens to involve the end of America being #1. not that America being #1 is special and present it like it's the only thing that needs to change

This isn't D&D. Everyone here can extrapolate from incomplete information that the death of America is not the end point of global change, except you

Perhaps because you're a loving moron

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Also to be honest, these are almost all un-inhabited outcroppings and atolls and it is unclear why a PRC flag is so much worse than a Philippine or Malaysian flag.

That said it is also ignored that much of the Chinese (which includes the ROC's) claim is based on the Parcel islands and which honestly were mostly closer to Hainan than the Vietnamese coastline, and that Spratley islands are a shitshow with everyone trying to take a piece. Everyone's broader claims also overlap each other. (Also most of the Chinese bases are in north/central portion of the Spratley islands anyway).

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 11:56 on Apr 20, 2024

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Homeless Friend posted:

what reading too much about the romans does to a mf

This is not a person who has read too much, believe me.

indeed it did not

but that's why ancient Rome didn't do 21st century things, not because humans functioned differently back then

This is a loving dancing R interpretation of history, goddamn.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Its also important to note that the reason it suddenly became an imperative to seize those atolls was American imperialism encroaching on Chinese shores and the ratcheting up of America's rhetoric that China is the new enemy of humanity who must be contained and fought at all costs

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

gradenko_2000 posted:

Calling out China for the South China Sea is the lamest poo poo because news flash bucko everyone is trying to claim it.

that is because all countries are the same and evil. I assume that all countries and humans suffer the same fundamental flaw of being dumb, evil pieces of poo poo, since as a solipsistic narcissist I am the model all things in the universe formed around.

I have, however, developed the ideal World Order in my head. If you would stop slandering the good name of the Fourth Reich for just a moment I may deign to tell you about it.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

lmao

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

To be entirely earnest for a bit. China building some naval jerk-off station on a coral reef does not help proof the claim that a Chinese/USSR/neuromance style alt-hist Japan dominated world system would be just as bad as the current US one. That's just silly.
If on the other hand you claim that a Chinese hegemony that somehow resulted from the exact same historic process and had the same material basis as the current US hegemony then, obviously, that's true, but it already assumes the conclusion.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

if you wanted to make that point without being a weird obsessive, you'd make the point that we need to change material conditions (plus build political power to make use of those conditions), which happens to involve the end of America being #1. not that America being #1 is special and present it like it's the only thing that needs to change

China has massively changed the material conditions over the last 30 years, and continues to do so every day. The greatest obstacle to the progress of humanity bar none is the existence of the US (western/cybernetic/continuation of the UK) empire. A full sixth of humanity is building communism every day, and you choose to stand in the way. Why is that? Why do you choose to betray your class?

Tom Guycot posted:

Huh... getting communist governments elected...

God its so simple, I never even thought of that before, wow. Has anyone else looked into trying this?

I hear Chile ran an experiment. Let's not examine what the US did in response.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 12:16 on Apr 20, 2024

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Nix Panicus posted:

Its also important to note that the reason it suddenly became an imperative to seize those atolls was American imperialism encroaching on Chinese shores and the ratcheting up of America's rhetoric that China is the new enemy of humanity who must be contained and fought at all costs

Yeah, and even then the PRC had control of the Parcels from the 1970s sort of knocks out almost all of Vietnam's claims and then it really depends on the Philippines and Malaysia and then then it is fairly marginal.

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

So what you are saying is that if you stopped the bad country from doing all the bad things that would be good? You are dead wrong, that would be just as bad.

Evidence: Submental ruminations on philosophy and history derived from a coloring book on the Incan civilization I completed as an adult.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
The United States is helping the Philippines guard its territorial integrity and national sovereignty.

LOL and furthermore LMAO forever.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

debatable if communist at all. also starting to do annoying great power poo poo

How the gently caress is "China is not communist" an argument of "therefore US is not so bad"??? What do you care what system China's is operating under? You want to talk about which system is better you compare country A directly to country B, not "A is not properly -ism".

Do I say US is not good because its not longer following Thomas Jefferson's blueprint? gently caress that US is no good because its doing evil things in 2024.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It's their sea! They're supposed to be there!

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

shut up kraut

lmao are they german? makes this line very funny in the german context….

meet the new boss, same as the old boss. unless you have a plan beyond "what if new boss???"

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Also, how is any successful communist country not going to have to do "great power poo poo" eventually unless they are just going to constantly being pushed around?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
the inscrutable germanic

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Ardennes posted:

Also, how is any successful communist country not going to have to do "great power poo poo" eventually unless they are just going to constantly being pushed around?

After recognizing the legitimate national aspirations of the ancient hebei people your moral purity allows you to levitate over mount tai and manifest world communism

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

China is not communist, therefore it is directly equivalent to the US.

Also, exerting influence on neighbors and defending your borders is exactly the same as building nearly a thousand military bases on foreign soil across the world in an attempt to fence in any potential geopolitical rival with coerced 'allies'

E: And, given the chance, China would build a thousand military bases around the world. Please ignore China's actual international outreach programs

Nix Panicus has issued a correction as of 12:45 on Apr 20, 2024

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
thought zelensky musta got shot at or something, but its just some westoid/person of eastern european persuasion fighting the good fight

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

speng31b
May 8, 2010

if Rome had robots

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's their sea! They're supposed to be there!

The seas are the rightful domain of Atlantis and Lord Poseidon, tankie

Hell yeah

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Not particularly looking forward to a country the size of China buying such ridiculously big cars

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018

Big guns go: *Pao Pao Pao*
Little guns go: *PiuPiuPiu Pipipiu*

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Leandros posted:

Not particularly looking forward to a country the size of China buying such ridiculously big cars

i am

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Leandros posted:

Cars are cheap in the Orient

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

only one country has used nuclear weapons.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The irony is that Haval is actually selling more and more overseas (in particular Russia and the Middle East)while its Chinese sales have radically declined.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

fits my needs posted:

thought zelensky musta got shot at or something, but its just some westoid/person of eastern european persuasion fighting the good fight

I don't know how it's related to Ukraine but I've been enjoying everyone working together in solidarity against the feckless utterings of the interloper.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

4 pages of shrieking that better things aren't possible.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Just the weirdest unfunniest loving nazi weirdos
https://twitter.com/PoulsenSnorre/status/1781221374985466263?s=19
https://twitter.com/PoulsenSnorre/status/1752651433139126480?s=19

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

genericnick posted:

After recognizing the legitimate national aspirations of the ancient hebei people your moral purity allows you to levitate over mount tai and manifest world communism

I did the land acknowledgement but I'm having some trouble with the manifesting

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Well, what if new boss??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Minenfeld! posted:

Well, what if new boss??

it wont be any better. dont even try.