Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Grimarest posted:

Photography is a fun hobby, even though it looks like it's going to be expensive. :argh:

You have no idea, this hobby will completely bend your idea of "expensive". I believe it's probably cheaper to get a serious coke and hooker habit than some genres of photography.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Grimarest posted:

I got mad water stains, how do you get rid of 'em, photoflow? I tried editing them out as best as I could.

Yes, and consider using deionized water for the very last rinse.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

8th-snype posted:

You have no idea, this hobby will completely bend your idea of "expensive". I believe it's probably cheaper to get a serious coke and hooker habit than some genres of photography.

I actually flinched when I realised how much I spent on all my MF kit last year.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Can someone describe their process for processing black and white negatives scanned via DSLR? I've been mostly playing with brightness/contrast sliders and tweaking the ends of the tone curve, not sure what else is good to try.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Grimarest posted:

I just developped my first film. hp5+ with ilfotec hc pushed to 800.
I got mad water stains, how do you get rid of 'em, photoflow? I tried editing them out as best as I could.

Taken with a Nikon FE2 with a lovely 35-105mm f3.5-4.5 nikkor zoom.
Photography is a fun hobby, even though it looks like it's going to be expensive. :argh:

These portraits are great. I use photoflo, and I have hard water but don't get any water spots. Photoflo is probably the cheapest out of all the dev chemicals, so you might as well get some.

Grimarest
Jan 28, 2009
Thanks for the tips, I'll get a photoflow bottle and try with distilled water since I have some laying around.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

Pham Nuwen posted:

Can someone describe their process for processing black and white negatives scanned via DSLR? I've been mostly playing with brightness/contrast sliders and tweaking the ends of the tone curve, not sure what else is good to try.

I'd love a link to that youtube video about processing negatives also (You know which one I'm talking about). Thought I had bookmarked it...

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Primo Itch posted:

I'd love a link to that youtube video about processing negatives also (You know which one I'm talking about). Thought I had bookmarked it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_qeZOWqchM

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
Shot HP5 for the first time. So flat. So pretty. Never buying Tri-X again.

Jan & Michelle's by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

voodoorootbeer posted:

Shot HP5 for the first time. So flat. So pretty. Never buying Tri-X again.

Try it in Rodinal 1+75 at EI 200 it's sweet (at least it is on 4x5).

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
I also shot some HP5 yesterday and was really happy with how it looks, these are 120 film developed in Rodinal 1:50 for 12 minutes.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

8th-snype posted:

I definitely will. My previous attempts at non-stand dev with Rodinal came out with some kind of gnarly grain but I was also shooting Foma so that could explain it.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

voodoorootbeer posted:

I definitely will. My previous attempts at non-stand dev with Rodinal came out with some kind of gnarly grain but I was also shooting Foma so that could explain it.

I don't agitate very much so YMMV. I generally do 5 inversions spaced out over the entire time to a total of 3 or 4 agitation cycles.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

_DSC7729 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

ape
Jul 20, 2009

ape fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 3, 2014

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
So i've been shooting a buttload of foma 200 and hp5+ and tmax 400 with this red 29 filter. I've been metering it as +3 exposure as per the recommendations and I just tested it yesterday (yes I know I should have tested it sooner) and apparently it's a 5 stop filter.
So...
Should I develop the films any differently? A few of you saw that midlands 8x10 shot with the insane contrast and gave some positive feedback but I'm wondering if if would be worth developing them differently with the extra 2 stops of exposure accounted for? I kinda liked the look of the last batch but I'm not sure what to do with it? WWJD?

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Sounds like you need to push two stops... could just stand develop everything in rodinal for 1 hour and 20 minutes?

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Cheers, i'm honestly not super keen to try stand developing them especially the 8x10s seeing as i'm positive they're going to get royally raped im the CL81, that and i've never had a lot of success standing sheet film (because i'm me). Any other dilutions i can try?

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Ah well I can't speak from experience for 8x10. Ive also had good results with Rodinal 1:50 for 9-12 minutes, depending on what the film manufacturer recommends then adding one minute for each stop you want to push, that is with 120 and 135 though.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I haven't developed my own film in a long time. I may soon have access to an :siren: unused bathroom :siren: that can be very easily sealed against light.

• What's the best way to dry film at home? Dust is a major hazard.
  • Do I have any chance at doing color dev in the bathtub without a recirculating heater, or is that likely to produce too unstable a temperature?
  • How can I use the toilet in my efforts

8th-snype posted:

Or at EI 1600 or EI 3200 in Rodinal 1+100 stand developed one hour. It's sweet on 35mm :unsmigghh:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

atomicthumbs posted:

• What's the best way to dry film at home? Dust is a major hazard.
  • Do I have any chance at doing color dev in the bathtub without a recirculating heater, or is that likely to produce too unstable a temperature?
  • How can I use the toilet in my efforts

- Steam up the bathroom before hand to get the dust out of the air while drying.
- You can do c41 at room temp if you want, especially with the digibase kit, but even just a tub of hot water to get the chemicals up to temperature is more than enough. You only need to be accurate with the first step (Dev) and the following steps require less and less accuracy with temperature.
- Throw your film in there when you see what you've developed and flush.

Spedman fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Oct 3, 2014

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Spedman posted:

- Steam up the bathroom before hand to get the dust out of the air while drying.

gently caress. That is awesome. Thankyou. I'm pretty sure that's where most of my dust has been coming from. I've tried everything to eliminate dust. Didn't know about this, though. Cheers.

E: also

quote:

- Throw your film in there when you see what you've developed and flush.

lol

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Oct 3, 2014

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

I've only ever developed Rodinal as a 1:100 stand development for an hour (occasionally a semi-stand with agitation at the 30min mark). Does 1:50 increase the concentration enough that 9-12 minutes is sufficient? I haven't noticed huge amounts of grain at 1:100, and I'm thinking the longer development would get more out of the shadow areas, right?

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Baron Dirigible posted:

I've only ever developed Rodinal as a 1:100 stand development for an hour (occasionally a semi-stand with agitation at the 30min mark). Does 1:50 increase the concentration enough that 9-12 minutes is sufficient? I haven't noticed huge amounts of grain at 1:100, and I'm thinking the longer development would get more out of the shadow areas, right?

The time would depend on your film, for example TMX in Rodinal 1+50 is 12 minutes.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Stand development and regular development are two completely different processes with different uses. You really can't use one to judge the time for the other.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
That sprocket rocket is pretty neat.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

stand development's lack of agitation turns Rodinal into a compensating developer and basically becomes a universal process (one time for all film speeds). agitation changes things.

one more film question: is there any solid info on whether it's alright to put used developer down the drain? I know fixer's bad, but how about Rodinal or Xtol?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Developer is fine to go down the drain, unless it's something exotic like Pyro.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

atomicthumbs posted:

stand development's lack of agitation turns Rodinal into a compensating developer and basically becomes a universal process (one time for all film speeds). agitation changes things.

one more film question: is there any solid info on whether it's alright to put used developer down the drain? I know fixer's bad, but how about Rodinal or Xtol?

The only thing that makes Rodinal need to be shipped ORM-D is that the concentrate is very basic. Diluted is no problem. Xtol's even more benign, since it doesn't even have hydroquinone.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Baron Dirigible posted:

Yeah like others said it's not just the concentration but amount of agitation e.g. I have had good results with Tmax for 12 minutes with 5 inversions at the start then one per minute after that. When doing semi stand it is 2 inversions at the start and two very gentle ones at 30 minutes.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Spedman posted:

Developer is fine to go down the drain, unless it's something exotic like Pyro.

However I would recommend that you not put it down a septic field just to be certain.

City sewer - usually no problem. It's not liquid mercury, one liter mixed into a thousand gallons of sewage isn't going to hurt anything.

It still might be a bit poisonous on a local scale. If you're out in the sticks, go pour it on a gravel road - somewhere it isn't gonna end up in your well, somewhere it isn't gonna poison some grass or flowers.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 4, 2014

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

deaders posted:

Yeah like others said it's not just the concentration but amount of agitation e.g. I have had good results with Tmax for 12 minutes with 5 inversions at the start then one per minute after that. When doing semi stand it is 2 inversions at the start and two very gentle ones at 30 minutes.
Yeah, I was just a bit confused by 8th-snype recommending 1+75 at EI200 with only 5 inversions across the whole time, which I took as an exposure metered at 200 and a semi-stand development, but I'm assuming he actually meant a regular development at EI200?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Baron Dirigible posted:

Yeah, I was just a bit confused by 8th-snype recommending 1+75 at EI200 with only 5 inversions across the whole time, which I took as an exposure metered at 200 and a semi-stand development, but I'm assuming he actually meant a regular development at EI200?

No, I always use semistand development unless I need to add contrast to a scene and even then I'm more likely to heat the developer than to increase the frequency of agitation. Semistand allows the developer in the highlights to exhaust and gives the shadows some more time to open up. So I do 30 seconds of agitation at the beginning and then usually if the dev cycle is less than 20 mins I do 5 inversions 3 or 4 times at regular intervals. I up that to 5 times if it's going to be 30 mins or longer in the soup.

I always like to point out stuff like that when giving recommendations because my method of developing has been tuned to the kind of photos I shoot over the ten years or so I have been doing it. Use the Massive Dev Chart for base times and then adjust based on your notes for future development. I shoot 4x5 HP5+ metered for 200 and use that agitation cycle in 1+75 for 18 minutes which is 1 minute longer than the chart lists.

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 4, 2014

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I was with a professional landscapist who only hand develop/prints for the last few decades the other day who has worked a lot in chemistry and infrastructure industries. He broke down dev/stop/fixers going down the drain in a typical urban environment and explained to me the chemical breakdown and ecological ramifications and said it's basically a drop in the ocean and many of the chemicals we use end up disappearing anyway?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Sludge Tank posted:

I was with a professional landscapist who only hand develop/prints for the last few decades the other day who has worked a lot in chemistry and infrastructure industries. He broke down dev/stop/fixers going down the drain in a typical urban environment and explained to me the chemical breakdown and ecological ramifications and said it's basically a drop in the ocean and many of the chemicals we use end up disappearing anyway?

Used fix has silver in it. Yes it's a drop in the ocean but if everyone puts one drop in eventually we get a whole new ocean. Don't dump stuff that's bad down a drain please. I can't stop some loving huge chemical company from making GBS threads on the planet but I don't have to contribute either.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Sludge Tank posted:

yeah well i work with professional chemists, geologists, and biologists, and they all loving hate you and your professional landscapist friend

it's not even that hard to precipitate most of the silver out of spent fixer, jfc

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Mr. Despair posted:

yeah well i work with professional chemists, geologists, and biologists, and they all loving hate you and your professional landscapist friend

it's not even that hard to precipitate most of the silver out of spent fixer, jfc

I'll see if I can get him to relay exactly what he told me in text and get back to you on it. I've always been really conscious of disposal. But he went into excruciating detail of it all. Anyway, i'll get back to you...

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Sludge Tank posted:

I'll see if I can get him to relay exactly what he told me in text and get back to you on it. I've always been really conscious of disposal. But he went into excruciating detail of it all. Anyway, i'll get back to you...

If it was just you and him dumping it, it wouldn't matter.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

8th-snype posted:

No, I always use semistand development unless I need to add contrast to a scene and even then I'm more likely to heat the developer than to increase the frequency of agitation. Semistand allows the developer in the highlights to exhaust and gives the shadows some more time to open up. So I do 30 seconds of agitation at the beginning and then usually if the dev cycle is less than 20 mins I do 5 inversions 3 or 4 times at regular intervals. I up that to 5 times if it's going to be 30 mins or longer in the soup.

I always like to point out stuff like that when giving recommendations because my method of developing has been tuned to the kind of photos I shoot over the ten years or so I have been doing it. Use the Massive Dev Chart for base times and then adjust based on your notes for future development. I shoot 4x5 HP5+ metered for 200 and use that agitation cycle in 1+75 for 18 minutes which is 1 minute longer than the chart lists.

I tried semistand once and ruined my vacation photos with almost unusably high contrast so I probably did it wrong :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

atomicthumbs posted:

I tried semistand once and ruined my vacation photos with almost unusably high contrast so I probably did it wrong :shrug:

Yes, you did.