Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

MussoliniB posted:

I have a quick question about getting started that I haven't been able to get answered in the books I've been reading (The four pillars of Investing and Real Money, I figure the best of both worlds). I am 28 years old and at the moment I am working 2 jobs for no reason other than surplus income, I really have no debt. I'm still living with the parents until the girlfriend finishes her graduate degree in 1-2 years so I really want to get involved in the market because I am up to my eyeballs in disposable income. I used to manage a bank and I'm a little familiar with the market, but I've never been courageous enough to get started, now I have a Roth with 10k in it rolled over from my Chase 401k, I have a 401k at both companies, one with 2k in it, and the other with 1k in it. I also have 5k in a savings account, there's absolutely no reason for me to not get started on the market.

Right now I have opened an ETrade account because I currently get stock options from one of the companies I work for, and they use Etrade. I can't exercise my options for another 4 months so I don't currently own anything. I have been throwing $20 in my etrade account every week, and right now I have $240 in it.

My question is this, how much money does one tend to start with? The books I've read say never let the purchasing fee be more than 2% of your investment, and that's nearly $500 dollars with the $10 processing fee from etrade. When it comes to diversifying your stock that implies to own 2 companies you'd need to buy $500 worth of stock of one company, and then another because ETrade won't let you trade from multiple companies at once, as far as I can tell. Other articles I've read say to just buy one individual stock of something you like, and just eat the $10.

Does one always tend to follow the 2% rule? Or to get started do you usually buy just to get money in the market and eat a whole lot of $10 fees? How much money did you all start with?

Anything would help as I am still learning.

Personally if I'm trading under £1000 I use a spread-betting account, and if I'm trading more than that then I use a broker with a flat £11.50/transaction fee. Don't forget you have to take the fee hit twice - once entering your position and once exiting it. If you start using strategies like top-slicing (where you sell part of the position in order to lock in profits) then you'll take the fee hit more times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Gamesguy posted:

It has begun.

Didn't see the new of another fire. I want to bail, but they're reporting earnings next Tuesday. Gotta tough it out through this tumult. :negative:

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Ugly break on charts.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

Leviathan posted:

There are a thousand firms whose 'near future' stock price has had jack poo poo to do with its profitability or growth prospects, and ignoring TA is as ridiculous as ignoring FA. Support and resistance levels in many ways become a self-fulfilling prophecy since everyone is using the past to parse the future to some degree or another, and since no fundamental information is released as frequently as price action there is really no other data for traders to go on that explains short term variation as accurately. If one thinks that a momentum stock like TSLA (which in the past year has been trading almost solely on momentum, sentiment, and the hope of a good ER) breaking clean through the 20d ema and closing under the 50 day is a good reason to go long now based on future fundamentals then hats off to you.

Why oh why didn't I just listen to myself 6 days ago, sack up, and go short...

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Leviathan posted:

Wait another 7 days for their earnings report on the 5th. Maybe we'll both feel better. :smith:

azreal
Sep 2, 2011

[quote="MussoliniB"post="421063854"]
I have a quick question about getting started that I haven't been able to get answered in the books I've been reading (The four pillars of Investing and Real Money, I figure the best of both worlds). I am 28 years old and at the moment I am working 2 jobs for no reason other than surplus income, I really have no debt. I'm still living with the parents until the girlfriend finishes her graduate degree in 1-2 years so I really want to get involved in the market because I am up to my eyeballs in disposable income. I used to manage a bank and I'm a little familiar with the market, but I've never been courageous enough to get started, now I have a Roth with 10k in it rolled over from my Chase 401k, I have a 401k at both companies, one with 2k in it, and the other with 1k in it. I also have 5k in a savings account, there's absolutely no reason for me to not get started on the market.

Right now I have opened an ETrade account because I currently get stock options from one of the companies I work for, and they use Etrade. I can't exercise my options for another 4 months so I don't currently own anything. I have been throwing $20 in my etrade account every week, and right now I have $240 in it.

My question is this, how much money does one tend to start with? The books I've read say never let the purchasing fee be more than 2% of your investment, and that's nearly $500 dollars with the $10 processing fee from etrade. When it comes to diversifying your stock that implies to own 2 companies you'd need to buy $500 worth of stock of one company, and then another because ETrade won't let you trade from multiple companies at once, as far as I can tell. Other articles I've read say to just buy one individual stock of something you like, and just eat the $10.

Does one always tend to follow the 2% rule? Or to get started do you usually buy just to get money in the market and eat a whole lot of $10 fees? How much money did you all start with?

Anything would help as I am still learning.
[/quote]

Depends on your goal, IMO. I'd say buy what you want and eat the fee; if you are investing in solid companies for the long term, :10bux: on either side of the trade won't make much of a difference.

azreal fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 29, 2013

dogpower
Dec 28, 2008
Jump in BP stock price because they raise their dividend and possibly a stock buy-back. Is now the time to buy? Does anyone else think there now recovering from the oil spill?
Haven't yet looked at the company fundamentals but hoping to prompt some discussion. Are the lawsuits finally past them?

My understanding is that oil companies just print out money. Ill probably sit tight for now but may buy in within the month.

dogpower fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 29, 2013

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Leviathan posted:

Apparently there was another Model S fire in Mexico.

And apparently the market has remembered that gasoline is also flammable.

Cranbe
Dec 9, 2012

dogpower posted:

Jump in BP stock price because they raise their dividend and possibly a stock buy-back. Is now the time to buy? Does anyone else think there now recovering from the oil spill?
Haven't yet looked at the company fundamentals but hoping to prompt some discussion. Are the lawsuits finally past them?

My understanding is that oil companies just print out money. Ill probably sit tight for now but may buy in within the month.

The price of oil went up today. Oil stocks generally track the price of oil relatively closely, although there's more to it than that, obviously. The price of oil is unbelievably fickle day-to-day, although it's been really strong for some time. I don't know of another sector whose stocks track a single commodity so closely that is so volatile from day to day.* Keep that in mind if you want to invest in oil companies.

In any case I don't trade stocks anymore (don't have the time or inclination), but I will say this: Jumping on a stock because it has been or is going up is generally a very losing strategy.

*Obviously, I'm sure other such sectors exists, but none that I'm in tune with.

Lightning Zwei
Aug 7, 2013
I love stocktwits, thanks to all who alerted me to its existence. I haven't found a more entertaining site in years and I waste way more time on it than any other website. That being said, the $FB chatter is hilarious today, people want CNBC's head on a pike.

I'm gambling on $FB ER but I have a feeling I'm about to get burned - bought in at $48.70.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

Lightning Zwei posted:

I love stocktwits, thanks to all who alerted me to its existence. I haven't found a more entertaining site in years and I waste way more time on it than any other website. That being said, the $FB chatter is hilarious today, people want CNBC's head on a pike.

I'm gambling on $FB ER but I have a feeling I'm about to get burned - bought in at $48.70.

Gambling as well through earnings and long from 47. A small miss and it'll likely bottom in mid-low 40's. Bad miss and bad guidance, I'm guessing we touch the M* fair value which is around $34. Alas, that's the price of holding something that's 227 x earnings and 21 x sales.

Lightning Zwei
Aug 7, 2013

Leviathan posted:

Gambling as well through earnings and long from 47. A small miss and it'll likely bottom in mid-low 40's. Bad miss and bad guidance, I'm guessing we touch the M* fair value which is around $34. Alas, that's the price of holding something that's 227 x earnings and 21 x sales.

Yeah the past two weeks have been a beat down on the price. I feel like even if the ER blows away the expectations the upside is looking way less optimistic.

I wish all the paranoia about Market Makers and price manipulation was true :allears:

Good luck

dogpower
Dec 28, 2008

Cranbe posted:

The price of oil went up today. Oil stocks generally track the price of oil relatively closely, although there's more to it than that, obviously. The price of oil is unbelievably fickle day-to-day, although it's been really strong for some time. I don't know of another sector whose stocks track a single commodity so closely that is so volatile from day to day.* Keep that in mind if you want to invest in oil companies.

In any case I don't trade stocks anymore (don't have the time or inclination), but I will say this: Jumping on a stock because it has been or is going up is generally a very losing strategy.

*Obviously, I'm sure other such sectors exists, but none that I'm in tune with.

Yeah your right. Ill keep BP in the back of my mind for now. Also looking at Shawcor which is another play on energy but for now I still have a lot to learn about the energy sector.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

My account transfer to IB seems to be complete. All my average costs were reset to market price on the day of the transfer. Is an account transfer a taxable event?

Bigntasty
Oct 15, 2003
I am heavily invested in BP as they are still severely discounted for uncertainty related to the gulf spill. My original investment thesis (near the time of the spill) was dependent on them being litigious. But instead they crumbled to public pressure and put themselves in a lovely position in terms of paying people that weren't damaged by the spill in order to achieve a "global peace" or some poo poo. Although they are buckling down now I fear they waited too long. The legal victory they are touting as a major development is at best a stall. The judge that wrote the majority opinion of the court did mention that the people not harmed by the spill shouldn't be able to make claims. But the trial was about a certain accounting rule not the validity of claims and thus this part of the opinion is meaningless. They have a separate trial in a different fifth circuit court for the frivolous claims. So this hasn't been decided on yet but they are acting like it has. Additionally the other 2 judges disagreed with that part of the opinion so its not like its open and shut when it goes up for review by a different court on Nov 4th. Basically the legal team is trying to dig themselves out of a hole they put themselves in and claiming victory before they should because it appeases investors.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Seeking Alpha has an email list that, every morning around 7am, sends a short summary of the 10 big stories from the previous day/coming day, along with a list of companies releasing earnings. This is really nice, but I'd rather avoid Seeking Alpha whenever possible. Is there anything comparable?

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

Josh Lyman posted:

Seeking Alpha has an email list that, every morning around 7am, sends a short summary of the 10 big stories from the previous day/coming day, along with a list of companies releasing earnings. This is really nice, but I'd rather avoid Seeking Alpha whenever possible. Is there anything comparable?

Barchart.com is much better. Very informative summary around 7:45 AM on the global markets.

Billcara.com is another great site. His is mostly after the close and Sunday but lots of info.

evilwaldo fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 30, 2013

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

DNova posted:

My account transfer to IB seems to be complete. All my average costs were reset to market price on the day of the transfer. Is an account transfer a taxable event?

Nope. You will have to track the ACB yourself.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Kal Torak posted:

Nope. You will have to track the ACB yourself.

Turns out they will (or so the chat lady claimed) adjust the cost basis and acquisition dates for me manually. I submitted the data for them in a ticket. It'll be much nicer that way.

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
I decided to gamble on some FB calls. This probably means Zuckerberg is going to announce his retirement and the site will start 404'ing after hours.

edit: yum

nebby fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 30, 2013

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
MRK took it on the chin this month, relative to other big pharma companies, and their dividend yield is up to 3.8%.

I'm nowhere near knowledgeable on the new healthcare laws, but I don't see them going anywhere, despite a lackluster Q3. Once all the wrinkles get ironed out in the ACA, more people will be getting more drugs, even if they're less profitable for the drug companies.

Doubled down on my moderate position in MRK today.

Am I being horribly naive? Anyone else watching pharmaceutical companies?

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

nebby posted:

I decided to gamble on some FB calls. This probably means Zuckerberg is going to announce his retirement and the site will start 404'ing after hours.

edit: yum

I guess you might say... you made a great call

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ugh, I was looking to make options plays on Expedia, Facebook, Visa, and Weight Watchers. I definitely would have done Facebook, not sure about the others. Regardless, I was working on something else, forgot, and now FB is up 10% after hours and EXPE is up 18%. At this point, I can't even get mad. :sigh:

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
I just read a bunch of the beginners tutorials on Investopedia and a lot of this thread. The main thing I take away is that there are a ton of different approaches to investing and aside from a handful of well established facts and notions, no one can really agree upon the "best" or "right" way to do anything and that a certain amount of it really does just come down to timing, luck and some intuition? Is that too far off?

Because I don't want to get overwhelmed and in over my head, I was planning on focusing on three things, historical trend, P/E ratio and general research about the company. Is this a decent place to start?

Off the tops of your heads, what would you guys say are the one or two things to pay attention to or focus on as noob?

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
hah, FB is having a 15% swing back down in after hours, told you guys I was bad luck! people on stocktwits are slitting their wrists. i bet some of them already bought a new car.

edit: from up 15% to now in the red! this loving market

kind of amazing my thesis was that ad revenue would blow it out and hence earnings. and i was right yet will still eat a loss on this trade.

edit: 20% swing in AH. Remember: if I post I am making a short-term trade, go in the other direction.

nebby fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 30, 2013

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Anyone have any insight on the TTWO drop after reporting good earnings? Earnings were non GAAP, sell on news, one trick pony, etc. Just wondering when/if the time to buy a little more is coming.

Lazy Broker
Jul 9, 2013

Whatcha gonna do? When they come for you?
drat...that move in Facebook.

I am scalping in this market put some shorts today but it is hard to go against the tape.

Let's see what happens tomorrow.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

nebby posted:

hah, FB is having a 15% swing back down in after hours, told you guys I was bad luck! people on stocktwits are slitting their wrists. i bet some of them already bought a new car.

That spike was very cringe worthy since the upper leg of my earnings IC was at 55.5/57.5. I've had decent returns on earnings plays from LNKD, AAPL, and FB(so far) being relatively non-events and made up the hit I took on AMZN.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sanky Panky posted:

drat...that move in Facebook.

I am scalping in this market put some shorts today but it is hard to go against the tape.

Let's see what happens tomorrow.
Gotta trade the underlying if you want to lock in AH gains :smith:

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

dogpower posted:

Yeah your right. Ill keep BP in the back of my mind for now. Also looking at Shawcor which is another play on energy but for now I still have a lot to learn about the energy sector.

My current energy plays include TOT, STO, SU, APA, CVX, UGP, and XOM stock and calls (how could anyone not have bought these, when it hit 85ish there was a strong bounce off support going back to mid 2012). I'm pretty bullish on TOT and UGP in the days to weeks timeframe, but CVX and XOM are core holdings for me considering I've had some XOM common stock inheritance to my name since the mid 90s.

PBR is also looking very interesting with a breakout and nice closes above the 200d with volume...may initiate a position tomorrow.

Leviathan fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 31, 2013

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Leviathan posted:

My current energy plays include TOT, STO, SU, APA, CVX, UGP, and XOM stock and calls (how could anyone not have bought these, when it hit 85 there was a bounce off multiyear support). I'm pretty bullish on TOT and UGP in the days to weeks timeframe, but CVX and XOM are core holdings for me (I've had some XOM common stock inheritance to my name since the mid 90s).

PBR is also looking very interesting...a couple more up days with volume and we may be looking at a monthly reversal soon.
That's a shitload of energy. As far as I can tell, there aren't any short term catalysts, so is this a long-term growth story?

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

Josh Lyman posted:

That's a shitload of energy. As far as I can tell, there aren't any short term catalysts, so is this a long-term growth story?

I like(d) CVX, XOM, STO due to their moats, dividends, and their valuations, especially at times when they have been dogs over the past couple years. I initiated TOT, SU, APA, UGP mostly based on technical screening and I wouldn't have a problem cashing in my trade in the short term if/when the momentum evaporates.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Anyone have any insight on the TTWO drop after reporting good earnings? Earnings were non GAAP, sell on news, one trick pony, etc. Just wondering when/if the time to buy a little more is coming.

There is just something about TTWO which I fundamentally don't understand. I managed to lock in some gains with short term common stock trades in the past two months but got slaughtered on my calls today after a beat and decent guidance. I'm definitely missing something.

Leviathan fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 31, 2013

Lightning Zwei
Aug 7, 2013

nebby posted:

kind of amazing my thesis was that ad revenue would blow it out and hence earnings. and i was right yet will still eat a loss on this trade.

edit: 20% swing in AH. Remember: if I post I am making a short-term trade, go in the other direction.

I'm not even surprised at this point, ER was a sucker bet and the way this stock has been manipulated this month is just ridiculous. A blow out ER beat and mobile ads revenue was through the roof and the stock freaks out over tweens allegedly losing interest. I'm long on this till early 2014 at least, can't wait to see holiday season ad spend now that the numbers are in and companies start to increase the FB ad budgets.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.
FB and NFLX after hours. Crazy moves.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Can someone explain after hours trading? How can people make money on after market movements if they aren't executing trades? Is it all based on queued up trades?

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

cowofwar posted:

Can someone explain after hours trading? How can people make money on after market movements if they aren't executing trades? Is it all based on queued up trades?

They are executing trades. You can too.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Kal Torak posted:

They are executing trades. You can too.
I thought trades were only settled during market hours. So if trades are still being executed then what's the point of having the market open and close each day?

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

cowofwar posted:

I thought trades were only settled during market hours. So if trades are still being executed then what's the point of having the market open and close each day?

Well it used to be that after hours trading was just open for institutions and those with high net worth. That's not the case anymore. But to answer your question, I think the reason the equity market opens and closes each day is simply due to liquidity. If it were open 24 hours, it wouldn't be as liquid and an illiquid market is a bad market. But I'm no expert.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

At least on my broker you can apply for after-hours and premarket access. I think they have some capital requirement or number of trades requirement or something, but like Kal Torak said it used to only be open to HNW and institutional investors. I think the extended-hours trading tends to happen on other exchanges than NYSE and the other well-known ones. They have a lot less volume and are a lot less liquid than the actual trading day, and generally speaking the price at the end of premarket is not necessarily the price of the opening trade in regular trading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Jesus SNE, PS4 can't come soon enough I guess.