Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
Do any of you know if there's a way to get a student discount on Pages? Or is this not something they sell individually in stores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The student discount on Pages is the $100 App Store gift card that you get with a new Mac right now. Otherwise, no, there are no student discounts on the $20 word processor.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Though if you're really concerned about the money, there's a good chance iWork will go free I think... alongside this web app move they've made.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The student discount on Pages is the $100 App Store gift card that you get with a new Mac right now. Otherwise, no, there are no student discounts on the $20 word processor.

I need that for games :pcgaming:

EDIT: By the way, have any of you used Airmail? Is it any better than Sparrow?

Stumpus fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 23, 2013

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Stumpus posted:

I bought Airmail - nice design but too buggy by half. I've basically given up on third party mail clients and am sticking with Mail even thought I mostly hate it. Hopefully it'll be better in Mavericks. At least it'll get that lockscreen functionality thing.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Lexicon posted:

Though if you're really concerned about the money, there's a good chance iWork will go free I think... alongside this web app move they've made.
Speak of the devil, the beta is now open to everyone with an Apple ID. Just go to iCloud.com and sign in.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Speak of the devil, the beta is now open to everyone with an Apple ID. Just go to iCloud.com and sign in.

Indeed. It's a *super* nice web app. Numbers brought in an Excel file flawlessly... perfect formatting and everything.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Stumpus posted:

I need that for games :pcgaming:

I've been using Airmail on my mew MacBook Air and have had no problems with it whatsoever. Two email accounts on it, easy swapping functionality, etc.

I picked it up after I grabbed Sparrow and found it did not work.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Double posting is the best.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

vtlock posted:

Is it in your login items?
No.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Lexicon posted:

Though if you're really concerned about the money, there's a good chance iWork will go free I think
What makes you think that? I find it unlikely, especially when at WWDC they mentioned a new version of the suite was coming out this fall.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

What makes you think that? I find it unlikely, especially when at WWDC they mentioned a new version of the suite was coming out this fall.
There have been leaks of it being listed as one of the "free apps from Apple" to get the first time you go to the App Store on iOS in the future (it usually offers Podcasts, iBooks, etc.). Also the fact that it's a web app that's now open to everyone would kind of make it a dick move if they suddenly locked all the documents you're working on behind a paywall.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I don't know if its my own speculation or if I read it - but companies in the business of making money from native software generally don't implement the whole thing on the web and give away access. It seems like a good way to better entrench iWork, which is apparently a thing they have a renewed interest in.

Who knows though. Apple is one of the more easily understood companies out there... But they still mystify me half the time.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

There have been leaks of it being listed as one of the "free apps from Apple" to get the first time you go to the App Store on iOS in the future (it usually offers Podcasts, iBooks, etc.). Also the fact that it's a web app that's now open to everyone would kind of make it a dick move if they suddenly locked all the documents you're working on behind a paywall.
Oh, didn't know that. And yeah I guess on the second part.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Lexicon posted:

I bought Airmail - nice design but too buggy by half. I've basically given up on third party mail clients and am sticking with Mail even thought I mostly hate it. Hopefully it'll be better in Mavericks. At least it'll get that lockscreen functionality thing.

What bugs? I've been using Airmail since I picked up a Macbook Air this past Tuesday and haven't seen any issues.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

8-bit Miniboss posted:

What bugs? I've been using Airmail since I picked up a Macbook Air this past Tuesday and haven't seen any issues.

Occasional crashes and beachballs. Not frequently, but enough that I was compelled to stop using it.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

8-bit Miniboss posted:

The beta version is buggy (obviously) but from what I remember the app store version was quite stable.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there any way to have Firefox act as a Site Specific Browser, with its own icon and name in the menubar?

I use MediaHint + Chrome to watch BBC News from North America, but for some reason today the plugin stopped working. The Firefox plugin still works fine, inexplicably, so I'm just going to use Firefox to watch BBC News until they get this Chrome thing figured out. I'd like to put it in my dock with a BBC icon and ideally I'd like the menu to say "BBC" instead of "Firefox" but I'm seriously not picky about that at all if there's no easy way to do it.

Any suggestions?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Tippis posted:

That said, it's still a bit sad that many of OSX's really fancy UI trickery is as unintuitive and obscure as it is.
I guess it's a matter of hiding functionality in order to keep the base interface simple, just keep the necessary bits in there.

Some other random stuff off the top of my head, albeit more well known/discoverable/obvious stuff:
In open/save dialogs, you can drag stuff in to jump to that location (...this is something that fucks me up in Windows now and then).
Drag and drop in general works a lot of places, like drag a doc onto an app icon in the Finder, Dock, or app switcher to open it with that app.
You can also invoke window management stuff between drag and drop, like grab an image in Safari, go into Mission Control, go over to another space (or whatever miscellaneous actions) and drop into another app.
In single app Exposé you can use the app switcher to switch while remaining in Exposé, or just hit tab/tilde to cycle through.

And just a more general one, hold down modifier keys while looking at menus to see other hidden functions. Like in the Finder, Get Info turns into something like Show Inspector when you hold option.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

(E-mail chat) I'm still stubbornly sticking with Sparrow. I can't use Mail and I already paid for Sparrow ages ago so dropping more money on another app doesn't feel right. It's just annoying that Sparrow is more or less completely dead now after they were bought by Google (a fact they splattered all over their site in a fairly annoyingly celebratory manner) because it seems Google gives no fucks about it. It can be a memory hog at times (which a quick restart fixes) and beachballs on 100+ page Gmails and lacks a lot of customization options but otherwise it's not too bad.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

gmq posted:

The beta version is buggy (obviously) but from what I remember the app store version was quite stable.

Ah, I'm on the MAS version, that would make sense I suppose. :downs:

jototo
Sep 3, 2003

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new MBA 13". I'm pretty sure I'll need the 256GB SSD option as my computer habits are media heavy (big MP3 collection, lots of photos, always downloading video). I'm trying to decide if I should spend more for 8GB of RAM and/or the i7 processor. I'm a pretty general user, rarely use Photoshop or video editing software, but I'm buying this laptop and expecting it to last the next 4-5 years. Will 4GB run the current/future versions of iOS without getting bogged down? Will the bottleneck (if any) most likely be from the RAM or the processor?

The standard configurations on Amazon/Best Buy all have 4Gb RAM. If I want more, I'll have to buy directly from Apple. Best Buy has the $100 off coupon, so the 256GB would only be $1135 before tax, which is a great deal. I may buy this unless I'm better off in the long run spending up a bit and getting more RAM/processor. What do you guys think?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

jototo posted:

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new MBA 13". I'm pretty sure I'll need the 256GB SSD option as my computer habits are media heavy (big MP3 collection, lots of photos, always downloading video). I'm trying to decide if I should spend more for 8GB of RAM and/or the i7 processor. I'm a pretty general user, rarely use Photoshop or video editing software, but I'm buying this laptop and expecting it to last the next 4-5 years. Will 4GB run the current/future versions of iOS without getting bogged down? Will the bottleneck (if any) most likely be from the RAM or the processor?

The standard configurations on Amazon/Best Buy all have 4Gb RAM. If I want more, I'll have to buy directly from Apple. Best Buy has the $100 off coupon, so the 256GB would only be $1135 before tax, which is a great deal. I may buy this unless I'm better off in the long run spending up a bit and getting more RAM/processor. What do you guys think?
Definitely get the RAM. No question. As for the processor, it's faster but not quite as long battery life by a similar percentage. If you're buying for battery life stick with i5.

As for SSD, consider iTunes Match or another streaming audio service. If you have a desktop use that as a media server instead. If not, consider a USB 3.0 portable HD and/or high-capacity SD card/USB stick in your use case. Do you really need everything at your disposal 100% of the time?

jototo
Sep 3, 2003

Kenny Logins posted:

Definitely get the RAM. No question. As for the processor, it's faster but not quite as long battery life by a similar percentage. If you're buying for battery life stick with i5.

As for SSD, consider iTunes Match or another streaming audio service. If you have a desktop use that as a media server instead. If not, consider a USB 3.0 portable HD and/or high-capacity SD card/USB stick in your use case. Do you really need everything at your disposal 100% of the time?

No desktop now, this would be my primary machine. I've thought about getting the 128Gb, but I've heard that SSDs work best when there's ~15% free space on the drive, is that still true? If so then it would only leave me ~90gigs to play with after the OS takes its share. I've also read the 256 drives in the new Airs are made by Samsung and are significantly faster than the 128s made by SanDisk (although I'm sure both are screaming fast compared to my current 5400 rpm platter.)

I'm leaning towards 8Gig and leaving the i5.

Edit: I'm also okay with upgrading components in a year or two. My 2008 MacBook has had a new HDD, RAM upgrade, and new battery in it's lifetime. I was under the impression that the new MacBooks, especially Air and Retina, aren't user upgradable though? Is the SSD soldered on? Google shows upgrade videos for the 2012 model, but not this one. I don't know if that's because they aren't upgradable or if that type of SSD isn't available yet.

jototo fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 24, 2013

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

jototo posted:

No desktop now, this would be my primary machine. I've thought about getting the 128Gb, but I've heard that SSDs work best when there's ~15% free space on the drive, is that still true? If so then it would only leave me ~90gigs to play with after the OS takes its share. I've also read the 256 drives in the new Airs are made by Samsung and are significantly faster than the 128s made by SanDisk (although I'm sure both are screaming fast compared to my current 5400 rpm platter.)

I'm leaning towards 8Gig and leaving the i5.

Edit: I'm also okay with upgrading components in a year or two. My 2008 MacBook has had a new HDD, RAM upgrade, and new battery in it's lifetime. I was under the impression that the new MacBooks, especially Air and Retina, aren't user upgradable though? Is the SSD soldered on? Google shows upgrade videos for the 2012 model, but not this one. I don't know if that's because they aren't upgradable or if that type of SSD isn't available yet.
If it's a primary machine and your upgrade cycle is 4-5 years then the 256GB is justifiable I suppose. Theoretical manufacturer-linked speed of the drive and optimal free space shouldn't be your primary decision-making factors if you ask me, it's how much time/energy you want to put into having your needed apps/files at your fingertips. If I had $200 burning a hole in my pocket I would've gotten the bigger SSD but I invested it towards a desktop instead.

There's really no question on the RAM though, do it. That should be a given before considering processor and SSD size. Your off-the-rack big-box desktop towers are starting to come with 8GB stock. Generally speaking you should look at the Air as not upgradable although I don't think it's 100% impossible, just exceedingly inconvenient and difficult at the current time. Not sure though. But RAM will probably be your first bottleneck in the next 4-5 years.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
RAM is soldered, so for that and other reasons already mentioned, definitely get the 8GB if you can.

I think the SSD is still replaceable, albeit changed for 2013 (if nothing else it's PCIe based now vs SATA). Whatever the case the SSD upgrades haven't really been all that competitively priced (not exactly a mass market product), so I figure you might as well buy it with the machine, especially as a primary machine. Even if you can work around it it's nice having enough space to not have to think about it too much.

jototo
Sep 3, 2003

Kenny Logins posted:

If it's a primary machine and your upgrade cycle is 4-5 years then the 256GB is justifiable I suppose. Theoretical manufacturer-linked speed of the drive and optimal free space shouldn't be your primary decision-making factors if you ask me, it's how much time/energy you want to put into having your needed apps/files at your fingertips. If I had $200 burning a hole in my pocket I would've gotten the bigger SSD but I invested it towards a desktop instead.

There's really no question on the RAM though, do it. That should be a given before considering processor and SSD size. Your off-the-rack big-box desktop towers are starting to come with 8GB stock. Generally speaking you should look at the Air as not upgradable although I don't think it's 100% impossible, just exceedingly inconvenient and difficult at the current time. Not sure though. But RAM will probably be your first bottleneck in the next 4-5 years.

Thanks for the advice. I am planning on building a gaming rig in the next year or two, but if I have to have one computer for now it's going to be a laptop.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

jototo posted:

Get RAM, not sure about SSD space, I've found that OSX only takes ~10 gigs so calculate based on that.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

What are the performance hits like on a modern Mac with FileVault 2? I imagine with the PCIe-based SSDs you won't really notice a difference now.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

What are the performance hits like on a modern Mac with FileVault 2? I imagine with the PCIe-based SSDs you won't really notice a difference now.

I recently enabled it on my rails development machine, and honestly can't tell the difference. Works great.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
I have a client with one particularly "interesting" user who flat-out refused to allow anyone to turn on FileVault 2 (their corporate policy says all laptops need encryption), because he read on some blog that it's the slowest thing ever. We had his computer in for repair once, reset his password, enabled it then, and he has yet to notice. He even asked what was up with the different login screen; we said it was an update.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Should be fine if Apple isnt slipping Sandforce drives in some machines still

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Is there any way to have Firefox act as a Site Specific Browser, with its own icon and name in the menubar?

I use MediaHint + Chrome to watch BBC News from North America, but for some reason today the plugin stopped working. The Firefox plugin still works fine, inexplicably, so I'm just going to use Firefox to watch BBC News until they get this Chrome thing figured out. I'd like to put it in my dock with a BBC icon and ideally I'd like the menu to say "BBC" instead of "Firefox" but I'm seriously not picky about that at all if there's no easy way to do it.

Any suggestions?

Edit: That was dumb.

- Open BBC site page you want to open to in Firefox.
- Drag the Favicon (little image to the left of the web address in the address bar) to your desktop.
- command+i for get info
- Change "Open with" to Firefox (you'll have to select "All Applications" from the dropdown)
- Check "Always Open With."
- Do not click "Change All..." in get info window.
- Google image search for an icon you like and drag it onto the safari bookmark icon on the top left of the get info window.

Pilfered Pallbearers fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 24, 2013

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

I don't notice a difference at all on a 2012 Macbook Pro

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Kingnothing posted:

Edit: That was dumb.

- Open BBC site page you want to open to in Firefox.
- Drag the Favicon (little image to the left of the web address in the address bar) to your desktop.
- command+i for get info
- Change "Open with" to Firefox (you'll have to select "All Applications" from the dropdown)
- Check "Always Open With."
- Do not click "Change All..." in get info window.
- Google image search for an icon you like and drag it onto the safari bookmark icon on the top left of the get info window.

Beauty! Thanks :)

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

jototo posted:

I opted for the i5/8GB/256GB MBA myself. Comin' up to a full week of ownership so far and I'm pretty much sold on it and going to keep it. My uses are a little bit different than yours, but the extra RAM definitely helps since it's not replaceable/upgradeable. I went with 256GB because I'm going to run a VM or two. The processor isn't too much of a performance loss since the Turbo Boost will make up some of the difference.

Edit: Also, Apple proper isn't the only place that sells BTO models. I bought mine from B&H Photo (no tax outside of NY), there's also MacMall.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Aug 24, 2013

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Is the air 2013 screen really good? I'm waiting on finding out if there's a Haswell 13'' Retina update coming soon, but the Airs have been getting lots of love. That retina screen though...

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

SRQ posted:

Is the air 2013 screen really good? I'm waiting on finding out if there's a Haswell 13'' Retina update coming soon, but the Airs have been getting lots of love. That retina screen though...

It's the same screen from the 2012 model. I haven't really pored over the difference in quality between the Retina and non-Retina screen. I honestly wanted a thin machine with great battery life. It looks fine to me to be honest.

SeventySeven
Jan 18, 2005
I AM A FAGGOT WHO BEGGED EXTREMITY TO CREATE AM ACCOUNT FOR ME. PLEASE PELT ME WITH ASSORTED GOODS.
Anyone tried ReadKit for RSS (feedly in particular)? I'm curious about how it stacks up to "dedicated" RSS apps as I'm angsty about Reeder not being updated yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

SeventySeven posted:

Anyone tried ReadKit for RSS (feedly in particular)? I'm curious about how it stacks up to "dedicated" RSS apps as I'm angsty about Reeder not being updated yet.
Well I'm using it as a dedicated RSS app...took me a while to figure out what you meant by that before remembering it did a bunch of other stuff. I'm using it with Feedly and it seems fine I guess. I had some weird initial bugs before where the app locked up but those seemed to be one time things.

Reeder had some annoying quirks about the way it worked that I never liked and ReadKit's way of doing things works better for me, and I imagine there's stuff the other way around as well. There's a decent amount of settings to tinker with to hopefully get it working to your liking in one way or another.