Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Most likely they had the name picked, and recorded fairly early in development, but didn't know that the movie was using a different name and it was too late to change it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Mustach posted:

Yeah, and in P4A his Yu voice is almost the same as his Adachi voice, while it's a little harder to tell in P4 since it's mostly grunts. But I have a feeling Adachi won't show up in PQ, based on the timeframe in which it takes place.

Chances are, they might just dub Adachi the same way they did in the anime and give him more of a higher pitched and scratchier voice.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ugh, that was the worst decision they could've made in that scenario, even if Bosch's comedic timing as Yu is hysterical.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Just bought P3P finally and plan to do a FeMC run on hard or maniac mode. I feel weird having played all of the Persona games (and pretty much the rest of the SMT franchises) out of order but, meh.

I also have been location testing the new P4A at my local arcade (We have machines in Kumamoto, if people are seeking them) and the game plays... differently but its not so bad. Mitsuru and Labyrs have been really heavily changed, and I feel like everyone has gotten "a little more Yosuke", to phrase it like my buddy does. The game is a lot quicker and more flashy now, specifically with the broken-rear end new character (Minazuki Sho? I think is his name) who doesn't have a persona/can't be move limited. I unfortunately can't play the story on Arcade cabinets but the arcade dialogue itself is somewhat interesting, mainly dealing with Sho's introduction and mystery.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Ugh, that was the worst decision they could've made in that scenario, even if Bosch's comedic timing as Yu is hysterical.

I'm pretty sure when they were casting for Persona 3 & 4 they couldn't even imagine its popularity and the number of spin offs it would have. I mean JYB and Yuri Lowenthal were probably asked "Hey, can you do this character too? All you need to do is grunt a few times and yell 'PERSONA!'"

I think Yuri is going to have it worse. His P3 Protagonist sounds exactly like Yosuke, and Ryoji sounds like a calmer version of Yosuke. They actually did the same thing in Japan in the case of Persona 3, with the Japanese VA voicing Ryoji Pharos and the MC.

Yosuke
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyOaqTcvSZ0

Minato/Sakuya/Makoto
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbnj-C4ktb4

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dehry posted:

I'm pretty sure when they were casting for Persona 3 & 4 they couldn't even imagine its popularity and the number of spin offs it would have. I mean JYB and Yuri Lowenthal were probably asked "Hey, can you do this character too? All you need to do is grunt a few times and yell 'PERSONA!'"

That's not what I'm talking about. In the Persona 4 Anime they recast JYB as the main character, but the main character actually talks in the anime so scenes where he and Adachi talk to one another would be awkward. SO to resolve this, they just had JYB do his normal voice for the main character, but Adachi sounds higher-pitched and raspy and it's annoying as gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_vG3siytoo

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Speaking of English VA troubles, I started and finished and restarted Persona 4 Golden recently, and Final Fantasy XIII has ruined Kanji for me. All I can hear is Snow, and that is enough for me to not have him in the party unless I'm playing on mute.

I'm pretty sure I played FFXIII before Catherine too though, so I'm not sure why I wasn't bothered by Vincent at all...

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Dehry posted:

At least with JYB, that's pretty much exactly what happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9qDeqIodBQ

CandyCrazy fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 22, 2013

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Armor-Piercing posted:

Speaking of English VA troubles, I started and finished and restarted Persona 4 Golden recently, and Final Fantasy XIII has ruined Kanji for me. All I can hear is Snow, and that is enough for me to not have him in the party unless I'm playing on mute.

I'm pretty sure I played FFXIII before Catherine too though, so I'm not sure why I wasn't bothered by Vincent at all...

This is a loving travesty because Kanji is the best character in the game. :colbert:

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

MrAristocrates posted:

This is a loving travesty because Kanji is the best character in the game. :colbert:

Next to the fox.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Next to the fox.

No no, Kanji is superior to the fox.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

MrAristocrates posted:

He is pretty cool, and I like his story arc, which is why it bothers me that he is Snow. If he was just another bad character I would ignore him and be okay. This is what I did with Teddie until I remembered that I could change him out of the bear costume.

For my first playthrough I used Yukiko and Chie the whole game, switching from Yosuke to Naoto once I unlocked her. Swapping people around more this time through because I'm trying to get that Hardcore Risette Fan trophy - I'm at ~175 lines so far, and not enjoying that part at all.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
So... what bothers you is that among the numerous characters his voice actor played, there's one that's bad? I mean, really?

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

I should play through Saints Row as Kanji.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Iceclaw posted:

So... what bothers you is that among the numerous characters his voice actor played, there's one that's bad? I mean, really?
No, that's not what bothers me. Like I said, I had no problem with Vincent, who is also voiced by Troy Baker.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'
Despite having loved both FES and Nocturne (as well as the little bit of Eternal Punishment that I've played), P3P is the only PSP game I have ever seriously regretted spending money on. I have literally zero reason to ever play it on the PSP instead of my PS2.
I guess what I'm trying to ask is, what is it about P3P that people say is so good?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The FEMC story and ability to control the other characters is commonly cited.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Armor-Piercing posted:

No, that's not what bothers me. Like I said, I had no problem with Vincent, who is also voiced by Troy Baker.

Every voice actor has turned in a bad performance and been part of a bad show/movie/game, this is a really weird hang up

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

subhelios posted:

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, what is it about P3P that people say is so good?

You can control your teammates, the female MC has better S. Links, more interesting things to say giving her a more unique character, and you can romance Shinjiro in one of the better S. Links which gives him a lot of character.

The downsides being the cutscenes no longer have the 3D Models to act them out and Ken's S. Link.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Dehry posted:

Yeah, and there's a few extra personas added too; mostly in the early levels for stuff where they'd be useful (like Neko Shogun at level 19 for the Star arcana). All the changes made to portable are worth way more than FES' contribution of the bland dungeon crawler that was The Answer.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

subhelios posted:

Despite having loved both FES and Nocturne (as well as the little bit of Eternal Punishment that I've played), P3P is the only PSP game I have ever seriously regretted spending money on. I have literally zero reason to ever play it on the PSP instead of my PS2.

P3P includes a new version of the story with better social links, more content, improved mechanics, the option to manually control your party, a bunch of little minor additions that make several of the game's frustrating elements better and fast travel. It is, aside from having more simplistic graphics, a better game in every way.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Dehry posted:

Sex_Ferguson posted:

You can control your teammates, the female MC has better S. Links, more interesting things to say giving her a more unique character, and you can romance Shinjiro in one of the better S. Links which gives him a lot of character.

The downsides being the cutscenes no longer have the 3D Models to act them out and Ken's S. Link.

ImpAtom posted:

P3P includes a new version of the story with better social links, more content, improved mechanics, the option to manually control your party, a bunch of little minor additions that make several of the game's frustrating elements better and fast travel. It is, aside from having more simplistic graphics, a better game in every way.

P3P confirmed as being a waste of cash, as I don't play video games for the story. I also leave my party behind whenever I can, so the ability to control people I won't be taking with me doesn't interest me at all.
Thanks for answering my question though!

subhelios fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 22, 2013

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
About the only thing FES has over P3P is Yukari losing her loving mind and Erebus.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

subhelios posted:

P3P confirmed as being a waste of cash, as I don't play video games for the story. I also leave my party behind whenever I can, so the ability to control people I won't be taking with me doesn't interest me at all.

Hahaha, what? Playing Persona 3 as a single character RPG where you skip all the story is like the most ridiculous thing I can imagine. Persona is built around the social elements and they are integrated into the gameplay. Play a more dedicated dungeon crawler instead if that is what you want.

Edit: Honestly, even in this case, you get new mechanics and Persona and the actual dungeon crawling hasn't been changed plus it is faster to go through the story moments since they're just visual novel sequences instead of animated so... still should be an improvement. The graphics (which largely impact the story sequences) are the only thing it does worse and if you don't care about the story then... this should be better than FES for you.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 22, 2013

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

subhelios posted:

These are not the games for you

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

subhelios posted:

I don't understand what you were expecting.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I'd say 'play Etrian Oddyssey if you don't want a story-heavy JRPG', but I can't imagine a solo of *that* working out well.

As an aside, how the heck did you beat The Answer with an Aegis solo?

subhelios
May 26, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Hahaha, what? I'm assuming you're trolling because playing Persona as a single character RPG where you skip all the story is like the most ridiculous thing I can imagine.

I'm actually not. The only character who doesn't annoy me to the point of hatred is Mitsuru. So if I do bring anyone along, it's her.

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

These are not the games for you

I like them because they're fun. It's the only reason why I'd play ANY game, let alone these ones.

Endorph posted:

I'd say 'play Etrian Oddyssey if you don't want a story-heavy JRPG', but I can't imagine a solo of *that* working out well.

As an aside, how the heck did you beat The Answer with an Aegis solo?

Haven't gotten around to beating the Answer yet, playing a lot of Borderlands 2 and Oblivion these days.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

subhelios posted:

I'm actually not. The only character who doesn't annoy me to the point of hatred is Mitsuru. So if I do bring anyone along, it's her.

Then I have no idea what to say. Why the hell would you enjoy Persona? Without other party members the combat system is lessened, without S. Links you have to grind more, without doing the social stuff you have tons of periods of pounding X through cutscenes you don't care about and nothing to fill up the empty days... there's like nothing to it without the stuff you're ignoring, it's a bare-bones random dungeon crawler where you can't use half the mechanics in the game.

Seriously, play Etrian Odyssey or something.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oh, so you solo because you hate all the characters? In that case yeah, play Etrian Odyssey, all the party members are blank ciphers with no dialogue at all. If you just like dungeon crawling and don't give a poo poo about anything else you'll love it.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Then I have no idea what to say. Why the hell would you enjoy Persona? Without other party members the combat system is lessened, without S. Links you have to grind more, without doing the social stuff you have tons of periods of pounding X through cutscenes you don't care about and nothing to fill up the empty days... there's like nothing to it without the stuff you're ignoring, it's a bare-bones random dungeon crawler where you can't use half the mechanics in the game.

Seriously, play Etrian Odyssey or something.

I DID do the S. Links (all of them even) on the first playthrough, but that was mostly so I could get the best Personas rather than for their own sake.

Endorph posted:

Oh, so you solo because you hate all the characters? In that case yeah, play Etrian Odyssey, all the party members are blank ciphers with no dialogue at all. If you just like dungeon crawling and don't give a poo poo about anything else you'll love it.

I just might do this, thanks!

Edit: You didn't mention it's on the DS only :mad:

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

You're free to think whatever, it's your opinion. I just can't say I really understand it. Even if you just like Persona for the gameplay, P3P still has a lot of new additions, with being able to play it on the go and a slew of new optional bosses.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Butt Ghost posted:

You're free to think whatever, it's your opinion. I just can't say I really understand it. Even if you just like Persona for the gameplay, P3P still has a lot of new additions, with being able to play it on the go and a slew of new optional bosses.

This point interest me greatly. I might have to give it another go after all (sometime after my 100+ Steam backlog is cleared anyway).

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

subhelios posted:

I just might do this, thanks!

Play Wizardry instead then.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
The Answer is 90% dungeon crawling so I guess play that if you already have FES and you want to crawl some more dungeons.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

subhelios posted:

Buy an old DS on the cheap, there's an asston of good games for it.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I'm no doctor but *pushes up glasses, shifts in chair* the guy who can't listen to Kanji because he played FF13 and Snow exists and the guy who plays Persona games solo for the dungeon crawling should probably be institutionalized.

That said, I actually think playing the dungeon parts of Persona 3/4 solo would be kind of an interesting challenge now.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I'm no doctor but *pushes up glasses, shifts in chair* the guy who can't listen to Kanji because he played FF13 and Snow exists and the guy who plays Persona games solo for the dungeon crawling should probably be institutionalized.

That said, I actually think playing the dungeon parts of Persona 3/4 solo would be kind of an interesting challenge now.

See? I'm not insane, I'm a visionary.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's really not, unfortunately. Aside from the very early points of the game, it mostly just involves focusing on AoE destruction for mooks and either grinding or setting up a super-defense for bosses. You level really fast and so it feels kind of boring in the long run because it's mostly just longer and less engaging, mixed with a few annoying one-shot deaths you couldn't have avoided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Well, solo-character challenges have existed since FF1 on the NES. :v:

Shame that the main character dying is a game over in these games, a solo with one of the non-MC party members would be even more interesting due to their limited moveset.

EDIT: ^ Or not, apparently. Thinking about the mechanics in these games, that makes sense.