Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
i had a big rubbery one for Tcl for a while because of how simple the language is, and how easy it is to throw together a UI with Tk. there isn't anything majorly wrong with Tcl, but theres so many little annoyances with it

Tcl is still my go-to for prototyping stuff that interfaces with sqlite tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

is it just me that is very stupid or are academic papers describing algorithms impossible to implement?

every single time i try i hit a brick wall

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Snapchat A Titty posted:

is it just me that is very stupid or are academic papers describing algorithms impossible to implement?

some are easier than others, and sometimes yeah there are just plain bugs in the pseudocode, and you either gotta guess what they meant or find their reference implementation (<-- had to do this last month)

whatcha coding up

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Snapchat A Titty posted:

yeah, it's the worst

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

fritz posted:

whatcha coding up

looking at handwriting recognition papers (basically just winners of ICDAR or ICFHR competitions) but i feel super outclasssed

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i even wrote the authors of one paper and also a guy who did a phd using their algorithm and nobody wrote back :(

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

you found one with pseudocode?

lucky

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

if the paper doesn't have := in it somewhere, move on

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Subjunctive posted:

if the paper doesn't have := in it somewhere, move on

every single goddamned time, i convince myself that reading the algo and understanding the broad strokes means that i will be able to implement it also

yeah

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Snapchat A Titty posted:

every single goddamned time, i convince myself that reading the algo and understanding the broad strokes means that i will be able to implement it also

yeah

I've gone back to papers I helped write after a couple of years and tried to implement from them, and have had to go check the actual implementation to remember how things worked.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

The Leck posted:

thanks for the input. web stuff is out, since this is happening within my office and lol at getting support for running a server or something, especially one that touches stuff on local file shares.

jfyi you can do it in a web framework without Running A Server (technically you would be running a server but it would only be on the local box) but please dont do this

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Subjunctive posted:

I've gone back to papers I helped write after a couple of years and tried to implement from them, and have had to go check the actual implementation to remember how things worked.

thx, from the heart

i gotta figger a buncha nobody cares. but thaks.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Snapchat A Titty posted:

looking at handwriting recognition papers (basically just winners of ICDAR or ICFHR competitions) but i feel super outclasssed

that looks like it's soemthing thats gonna have a real steep learning curve

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
it's kinda funny to watch some lectures by professors on youtube and they're like "this is C code" and it actually BARELY MAKES SENSE AS PSEUDO C CODE so I can only guess how it's like in actual papers with nontrivial algorithms

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I've managed to implement algorithms from a few papers here and there before, but it's usually easier if there are many papers describing it on their own side because otherwise it's hard to find anything particularly clear.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i think i have an interview with redhat. i'm scared.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
nice

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
good luck, hope you get it 😇👌

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

2015 year of yosposters on linux jobs :getin:

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i thought you had a good thing going with current job, youve not been there that long right?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Valeyard posted:

i thought you had a good thing going with current job, youve not been there that long right?

yeah i definitely do. but a recruiter for redhat contacted me and i might as well get the experience of the interview. if they actually offered me a job (which seems unlikely) I'd have to think very hard about it.

my company is really awesome to work for, to the point that even significantly higher pay would not really be enough to entice me to leave. but on the other hand, working for redhat would open a ton of doors for me.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

always be interviewing

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

yeah i definitely do. but a recruiter for redhat contacted me and i might as well get the experience of the interview. if they actually offered me a job (which seems unlikely) I'd have to think very hard about it.

my company is really awesome to work for, to the point that even significantly higher pay would not really be enough to entice me to leave. but on the other hand, working for redhat would open a ton of doors for me.

yeah, i've come to realize i really like my job more than i'd like a pay bump

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

always be interviewing

interviews are stressful af

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

my stepdads beer posted:

i've never gotten this feeling but it could be that i've had a few v good interviews, and then i started giving interviews and realized how bs they are

basically don't stress about interviews because if you're a good candidate, it'll show through any mistakes you might make

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Interview stress factor also depends a whole lot about how badly you need or want it. If you've got a decent job already and are just shopping for something nicer, the stress levels you have are pretty guaranteed to be lower than if you're going for the "last resort" interview before your family gets in trouble and poo poo, for example, regardless of interviewing skill or whatever. There's just a lot more at stake and not a lot of people know how to properly deal with that in a manner that shows up as "is the perfect interviewee for a tech job"

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Im just very light on data structures / algos, which seem to be really important for interviewing. I went through ctci before I got this job but I haven't used any of that stuff since interviewing.

Which is funny because I have a lot of aptitude for them but rustyness combined with my terrible nerves makes those questions really hard

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

my stepdads beer posted:

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

Im just very light on data structures / algos, which seem to be really important for interviewing. I went through ctci before I got this job but I haven't used any of that stuff since interviewing.

Which is funny because I have a lot of aptitude for them but rustyness combined with my terrible nerves makes those questions really hard

i just bombed a couple of these recently. i mainly did myself in by trying to shoehorn stuff i'd been studying in preference of stuff i actually knew. so my advice would be to stick to what you know and if they tell you to gently caress off then you know what to work on. nerves are going to do you worse than knowledge.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

my stepdads beer posted:

they get less stressful if you do them more often

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

also they arent stressful at all if you're not planning on leaving your current job

like who cares if you bomb an interview in that situation

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

i need to take this advice tho

Subjunctive posted:

always be interviewing

but i'm lazy and my current team leadership basically did a hero dive the minute i even mentioned in passing that i was bored and might want to do something new

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

i then proceeded to totally gently caress up the production environment the very next week

you wanted me? you got me, fuckers :kheldragar:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i'm still nervous despite having a job but tthat's why i need to keep doing this

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

so i have a git repository, in that repository i have a submodule and in that submodule is another submodule, the top layer submodule clones fine but the second layer just contains nothing whatever i do
tried git submodule foreach git pull and it just says im up to date

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
stop using git

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i interview better when i have the pressure on me. fear of failure and desperate need turns me into a smooth operator

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Shaggar posted:

stop using git

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Awia posted:

so i have a git repository, in that repository i have a submodule and in that submodule is another submodule, the top layer submodule clones fine but the second layer just contains nothing whatever i do
tried git submodule foreach git pull and it just says im up to date

git submodule update --recursive

and then swear at it a bit

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

just finished writing a thing that scrapes data from an external application using managedwinapi then sends said data of for a credit check and displays the result

its the first time ive done anything more complicated than just farting out a database ui and i feel like ive risen from abysmal dumbass programmer to being a plain old terrible programmer

of course now i know how it's done it seems like a dumb babby thing that shouldn't have taken all week and yeah im still a abysmal dumbass after all

thats my own tale of imposter syndrome thanks for reading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

St Evan Echoes posted:

of course now i know how it's done it seems like a dumb babby thing that shouldn't have taken all week and yeah im still a abysmal dumbass after all

everything i understand is so simple that i'm worried that people will find out i'm not doing anything special :ohdear:

• Locked thread