Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
So I'm looking to get back into making standard websites for local small businesses as a side gig. I'm mainly a designer, and more used to working in plain html/css/js and using CMS (Mostly Wordpress and Drupal). I'm familiar with and understand twig and other template stuff I've seen

Back when I used to do this it was you paid for hosting and installed wordpress on something, but I'm guessing maybe things have changed in the past decade+. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I was checking out Netlify with their Hugo+Decap CMS quickstart, but I'm not sure if Im heading in the wrong direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

Maleh-Vor posted:

So I'm looking to get back into making standard websites for local small businesses as a side gig. I'm mainly a designer, and more used to working in plain html/css/js and using CMS (Mostly Wordpress and Drupal). I'm familiar with and understand twig and other template stuff I've seen

Back when I used to do this it was you paid for hosting and installed wordpress on something, but I'm guessing maybe things have changed in the past decade+. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I was checking out Netlify with their Hugo+Decap CMS quickstart, but I'm not sure if Im heading in the wrong direction.

i can't speak for Netlify - i'm sure you're going down the right path, but some VPS services like DigitalOcean and Linode offer single-click servers that are pre-installed with an app you want (like Drupal or Wordpress for your case) and there's 0 setup besides for typing in the values you want like root password, database password, etc.

so that's just another option

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

teen phone cutie posted:

i can't speak for Netlify - i'm sure you're going down the right path, but some VPS services like DigitalOcean and Linode offer single-click servers that are pre-installed with an app you want (like Drupal or Wordpress for your case) and there's 0 setup besides for typing in the values you want like root password, database password, etc.

so that's just another option

Thanks, I'll check that out! I should note that these are your standard small business websites that will at most get a few thousand visits a month, and will be sold for a few hundred dollars, so cheaper solutions would be my best bet.
I heard a few years ago that just paying for Squarespace and a domain was more than enough for many small businesses, but I'm not sure if that's really a good option anymore, and also, I'd like to be able to leverage some of this into a portfolio, so using pre-existing themes isn't ideal, but might still help pay the bills.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
A lot of this kind of work has dried up since just about any idiot can cook up a decent website with Squarespace or Wix or whatever these days.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

prom candy posted:

A lot of this kind of work has dried up since just about any idiot can cook up a decent website with Squarespace or Wix or whatever these days.

I know, but I also live in Mexico where a lot of people are less tech-savvy or can't be bothered with making or managing their own website. I also used to just recommend businesses use social networks instead of trying to make websites until the algorithms got all hosed up and weird. I have a full-time job and kids, so I really only have time for a couple of these a month anyway.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Maleh-Vor posted:

I know, but I also live in Mexico where a lot of people are less tech-savvy or can't be bothered with making or managing their own website. I also used to just recommend businesses use social networks instead of trying to make websites until the algorithms got all hosed up and weird. I have a full-time job and kids, so I really only have time for a couple of these a month anyway.

drat this is furthering my desire to move to Mexico...

If I was making those kinds of sites these days I think I'd be using Astro.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
drat I just got laid off. I'm not really looking for advice or anything, I'll be alright. Just like... drat. This blows, I hate looking for a job.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Kind of a similar ask to the earlier question in the thread.

I am looking for a very un-opinionated framework that would allow me to quickly build a website with a very basic e-commerce backend - though I want to develop a rather advanced JS / React front-end to go with it (some kind of customiser).

I am very familiar with Wordpress and Woocommerce - which I know enough to know that it's not what I want to use.

What I know is that I really like the convenience of PHP - because I can just slap this thing on a shared host and it will just plow through. These NodeJS backends annoy me because I constantly have to make sure the backend won't just crash for some reason and create a linux service, etc. Not to mention cost of VPS. If I need SSL with Letsencrypt, my host provides a one-click solution for that - doing it in NodeJS requires me to mess with the certbot command and restarting the node backend when the cert changes every 3 months - and something always fails.

This is what's scaring me from using something like Astro - seems like it comes with a lot of maintenance. With my PHP based host I can just git pull on the server and I'm done.

Maybe I'm just out of touch and there are now better ways to run these kind of "monolithic" backends?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I would probably build something like that using Node/Typescript, one of the serverless or container-based platforms that papers over AWS (Vercel, Railway, Fly.io, SST) and Planetscale for my database. Rails is a popular choice for monolithic backends but I'd say it's a foolish choice in 2023 when there are statically typed languages with great DX and better performance available.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Something I've been wondering, why isn't there anything as simple as shared/managed hosting for Node.js stuff like there is for PHP? I can get a Wordpress PHP + MySQL installation running in a few minutes for under $10 a month, but Node.js stuff is much more expensive and time-consuming.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

LifeLynx posted:

Something I've been wondering, why isn't there anything as simple as shared/managed hosting for Node.js stuff like there is for PHP? I can get a Wordpress PHP + MySQL installation running in a few minutes for under $10 a month, but Node.js stuff is much more expensive and time-consuming.

I think it has to do with how php is run/interpreted. With PHP with the right nginx or apache modules installed you stick an index.php file into a www folder and then you run that index.php file and it executes. With NodeJS you need to actually be running a node server and then likely creating a reverse proxy from your web server to the node server. And if you want to make changes to the code you need to reboot the node server. I remember running into the same thing when I first started working with Ruby on Rails way back in the day. Like, what do you mean I can't just FTP my site up to the web host?

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
not even sure what this would be called so don’t know what to search for: are there any node packages that generate meta information about an app? im specifically interested in quantity and size of dependencies, but I’d also like things like test coverage and vulnerabilities (like dependabot). I know the latter two exist separately but I’m not sure about the former, and I’m not sure if there any kinds of frameworks that pull all of these “reporting” bits together. any suggestions?

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

Centrist Committee posted:

not even sure what this would be called so don’t know what to search for: are there any node packages that generate meta information about an app? im specifically interested in quantity and size of dependencies, but I’d also like things like test coverage and vulnerabilities (like dependabot). I know the latter two exist separately but I’m not sure about the former, and I’m not sure if there any kinds of frameworks that pull all of these “reporting” bits together. any suggestions?

we use statoscope at work which has nice visuals for seeing how your bundles all fit together

https://github.com/statoscope/statoscope

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

teen phone cutie posted:

we use statoscope at work which has nice visuals for seeing how your bundles all fit together

https://github.com/statoscope/statoscope

Neat thanks

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Apparently there are web frameworks for C out there, that's pretty cool if I say so myself.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
If I were going to start a small website building side business I would 100% use SquareSpace, convince me otherwise.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Anony Mouse posted:

If I were going to start a small website building side business I would 100% use SquareSpace, convince me otherwise.

I think it would depend on a few things. What kind of prices do you think you can fetch? The good old days are over, small websites are not fetching great prices anymore, and Squarespace is gonna end up costing you more than $10 for a domain and $0 to host a site on Vercel/Netlify. Secondly, what level of customization would you need to offer? For example if someone says "yeah that's great but I really need it to have X feature and I'll pay double for it" can you make that happen with Squarespace? I think those are the two major concerns I'd have with picking Squarespace vs. basing a business around something like Astro + free and low cost themes.

But yeah if I were going to start a small website building side business I would probably simply not start it because the amount of hustle required to make not very much money would be huge I think. If you have programming skills there are probably lower effort ways to make side money.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

prom candy posted:

I think it would depend on a few things. What kind of prices do you think you can fetch? The good old days are over, small websites are not fetching great prices anymore, and Squarespace is gonna end up costing you more than $10 for a domain and $0 to host a site on Vercel/Netlify. Secondly, what level of customization would you need to offer? For example if someone says "yeah that's great but I really need it to have X feature and I'll pay double for it" can you make that happen with Squarespace? I think those are the two major concerns I'd have with picking Squarespace vs. basing a business around something like Astro + free and low cost themes.

But yeah if I were going to start a small website building side business I would probably simply not start it because the amount of hustle required to make not very much money would be huge I think. If you have programming skills there are probably lower effort ways to make side money.

What are those lower effort ways? Asking for a friend

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

scam nft

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

LifeLynx posted:

What are those lower effort ways? Asking for a friend

I'd probably try to start some low-effort SaaS bullshit tool and try to grind up to like $1k MRR. The actual coding would be harder but I'd rather spend my time doing that and trying to build some kind of online marketing and sales strategy rather than cold calling local businesses that have made it to 2023 without needing a website yet.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
My least favorite kind of frontend interview is when they test you on your knowledge of a framework. I'm not the kind of person who reads the docs for fun. You can ask me "when do we need to use refs in React?" and my answer is "why do I need to know?" Is it really an interview if I can cram it?

I prefer something more collaborative like doing a design or building out UI. Perhaps because I was interviewing for a senior position, they wanted to see that I had that deep experience where I just know the framework like the back of my hand.

Also, I can understand why you wouldn't want to do it but it would cool if they said at the end of the interview "nah, you didn't get it" instead of waiting for HR to say it.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
E: Moved this question to Working in Dev thread, sorry for double post.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Hope this is the right place to ask this but I am trying to install Snipe IT (I run WIndows 10) so I can run it on a test environment before deploying it for the company I work at. Or even Partkeepr. But I'm having trouble understanding how to host and install it. According to Snipe IT's documentation I need to set up a web server on a LAMP.

Is this something that I can do if I already have a hosting account with Lithium Hosting? Or is this a totally different procedure? I'm familiar with installing and launching Wordpress on a website but really need a dummy's guide on how to do this other stuff. Really don't know where to start.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Apr 7, 2023

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

melon cat posted:

Hope this is the right place to ask this but I am trying to install Snipe IT (I run WIndows 10) so I can run it on a test environment before deploying it for the company I work at. Or even Partkeepr. But I'm having trouble understanding how to host and install it. According to Snipe IT's documentation I need to set up a web server on a LAMP.

Is this something that I can do if I already have a hosting account with Lithium Hosting? Or is this a totally different procedure? I'm familiar with installing and launching Wordpress on a website but really need a dummy's guide on how to do this other stuff. Really don't know where to start.

Been a while since I looked, but DigitalOcean used to have really good documentation on setting up a LAMP (as well as other stuff) and IIRC it was available even if you were not a DO subscriber. It should be applicable to any hosting service that provides a raw VM.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I'm pushing to add Storybook to an open source project I work on, but I'm getting some pushback because the lead maintainer says they "tried to use it before and decided not to". I interviewed with a startup the other week and they said something similar.

From my perspective, Storybook is nothing but gain because you can develop UI components by themselves. You don't have to load up the whole app to develop, and it encourages developers to make reusable components. You can make prototypes and have UX review them before they go into the app. Right now people are spinning up the whole app for development and hot reloading takes a non-trivial amount of time.

What are the pain points or things that really suck about Storybook?

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 8, 2023

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

LongSack posted:

Been a while since I looked, but DigitalOcean used to have really good documentation on setting up a LAMP (as well as other stuff) and IIRC it was available even if you were not a DO subscriber. It should be applicable to any hosting service that provides a raw VM.

Their docs are such a great resource. I was sad to hear the teams responsible for the tutorials were let go in the recent layoffs :( :(

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

America Inc. posted:

I'm pushing to add Storybook to an open source project I work on, but I'm getting some pushback because the lead maintainer says they "tried to use it before and decided not to". I interviewed with a startup the other week and they said something similar.

From my perspective, Storybook is nothing but gain because you can develop UI components by themselves. You don't have to load up the whole app to develop, and it encourages developers to make reusable components. You can make prototypes and have UX review them before they go into the app. Right now people are spinning up the whole app for development and hot reloading takes a non-trivial amount of time.

In my experience there was a lot of extra overhead in maintaining it. And we had to do kind of a lot of weird dev ops-y stuff to make it useful—i.e. deploying it to a password protected server while still making the components accessible for our production repo, etc. And even when we DID get it setup well, our UX and other designers still preferred to just do everything in Figma.

I don't know how large the app you're working on is, but not really sure why hit reloading in 2023 should be a major barrier.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

America Inc. posted:

The downsides of Storybook are having to mock things you might not need to mock for tests; but in the new version you can use your storybook components as the `render` for many testing libraries / frameworks. If you host it for non-devs, you have to spin that up and so on (as mentioned above) and as also stated, if people are looking for a design source of truth, it may muddy the water a bit, as the designers will live in Figma / Sketch and so what they produce will not look like what you produce all the time. That said, I don't think the latter is a big deal; Storybook is what the app _currently__ looks like. Figma and so on are what it _might_ look like once implemented.

We use Storybook and I'm of the opinion that it's well worth it. Developing components in isolation can be a big time-saver not because of hot reloading taking a while or whatever, but because you don't have to plumb them in anywhere to work on them. Being able to see what components are available, what they look like, and implementation notes and so on is really nice in a team environment esp. when on board new people.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

America Inc. posted:

It's one more thing to maintain and one more thing to consider when making decisions.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

fletcher posted:

Their docs are such a great resource. I was sad to hear the teams responsible for the tutorials were let go in the recent layoffs :( :(

Wow that's sad, their docs have been my go-to for most server tasks for years.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

kedo posted:

Wow that's sad, their docs have been my go-to for most server tasks for years.

Yeah, I think it’s super short sighted. I don’t think I would’ve been a DogitalOcean customer had it not been for their docs. They just threw away their biggest differentiator 😕

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Is it just flat out impossible to install the necessary files from a 3rd party SSL cert on Network solutions?

I’m using Cloudflare, and I now have a file for an origin certificate and private key. On Network Solutions, I see no way of generating a CSR. There is no documentation I can find out this, except for NS’s partner program, which looks to do nothing with how an ordinary customer’s NS works. The SSL button in their control panel does absolutely nothing, literally when clicking on it. I’ve called support and they are just clueless.

When I ftp, I see a backup, cgi-bin and htdocs folder. The cgi-bin just has 3 files: global.dat, php.dat and fileman.cgi.

I should also add that there seems to be no way to SSH for Network Solutions.

I feel awful because I assured my client I’d be able to get them a simple SSL cert working without paying Network Solution’s ridiculous $80/year cost.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Is there an easy way to do the following (with JavaScript/TypeScript/React):

Click a photo and add a red line directly to the horizontal center of the photo, and then save that photo with the red line in place.

The situation:

Users are looking at photos of cameras and trying to see if they're aligned horizontally (they're photos from stationary cameras, so they could be misaligned). A red line down the horizontal center of the photo would show this fairly easily. However, currently they're downloading the photo, using a snippet tool and a ruler tool to manually add the red line. Then they save the edited image, and send it to the Account bearer.

I want to create a tool that can automatically display a red line, then save the image with the red line in place. It doesn't need to be high-def, there doesn't need to be any additional functionality, it just needs to save this image with a red line going through the center.

I'm thinking perhaps using CSS to add a red line to the image container with position absolute, and then using some kind of canvas thing to download the contents of the container, but I don't know if that's doable of what kind of packages/tools would be able to do that.

Any help would be appreciated!

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Verisimilidude posted:

Is there an easy way to do the following (with JavaScript/TypeScript/React):

Click a photo and add a red line directly to the horizontal center of the photo, and then save that photo with the red line in place.

The situation:

Users are looking at photos of cameras and trying to see if they're aligned horizontally (they're photos from stationary cameras, so they could be misaligned). A red line down the horizontal center of the photo would show this fairly easily. However, currently they're downloading the photo, using a snippet tool and a ruler tool to manually add the red line. Then they save the edited image, and send it to the Account bearer.

I want to create a tool that can automatically display a red line, then save the image with the red line in place. It doesn't need to be high-def, there doesn't need to be any additional functionality, it just needs to save this image with a red line going through the center.

I'm thinking perhaps using CSS to add a red line to the image container with position absolute, and then using some kind of canvas thing to download the contents of the container, but I don't know if that's doable of what kind of packages/tools would be able to do that.

Any help would be appreciated!

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/CanvasRenderingContext2D/drawImage

+

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/CanvasRenderingContext2D/lineTo

+

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/HTMLCanvasElement/toDataURL

should do it I think

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I eventually came to this conclusion and spent a few hours building it only for the images to have some kind of security measure to prevent this from happening. :(

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Verisimilidude posted:

I eventually came to this conclusion and spent a few hours building it only for the images to have some kind of security measure to prevent this from happening. :(

lol what

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

???

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you're loading these images from your own website, then you shouldn't have any security issues.

If you're loading them from some other website then you'll need to make sure CORS is set up properly on that other site to allow your site to see the image content. By default you're not allowed to do anything with the image beyond just drawing it onto the screen.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jabor posted:

If you're loading these images from your own website, then you shouldn't have any security issues.

If you're loading them from some other website then you'll need to make sure CORS is set up properly on that other site to allow your site to see the image content. By default you're not allowed to do anything with the image beyond just drawing it onto the screen.

Yeah I use canvas to provide downloads from source host content and it will need CORS setup for the website.

I also add in '?cacheblock=true' to the src.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Hi so I don't do web development in any kind of serious way but I've tinkered a little bit. Why did my friend get upset when I told him I do collapsible lists like this?
code:
<html>
	<head>
		<style>
			input.collapsible {
				display:none
			}
			div.collapsible.content {
				display:none
			}
			input.collapsible:checked + div.collapsible.content {
				display:block