Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Dessel posted:

I got the Moondrop Arias and...

I do like the sound, but I think these are the most uncomfortable IEMs I've dealt with, specifically for my right ear. I've tried all their tips, and bunch from my RHA MA750i. I had best luck with the smallest RHA tips I had, large foam tips from Comply with shallow insertion (and not squeezing them not to go deep) and RHA's double flanged tips, though they honestly risk getting...stuck inside the ear canal. I guess my concha is fairly small compared to average. I think the Anthelix/ridge next to the concha towards the back of the head is more pronounced on my right ear and the Aria has fairly sharp edges and it tends to dig towards it. :sigh:

It's definitely better than at the start with the tips I chose but still nowhere perfect. I've also tried different angles for insertion etc. I bet Starfields would actually fit better for me, it looks like the outer edge of the Starfields is rounded instead of being so sharp.

I also tried wearing them reversed as someone has done so with the Starfields but no way am I getting them inside with the front/back of the IEMs swapped.

Id send them back and try the HBBxTripowin Olina for $100. They smash the Arias and really everything else in the under 100 bux catagory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Xabi posted:

Thank you! Is 150 and 120 ohms respectively not a problem? Doesn't ohm itself mean much these days, or are modern devices powerful enough by themselves?

Impedance doesn't mean much without knowing the sensitivity, at least as far as volume goes. There's a handy website for figuring out exactly how loud your headphones will be: https://www.headphonesty.com/headphone-power-calculator/

So, for example, the 58x at 104db/mw sensitivity at 150ohms needs 4 milliwatts to hit 110db (the average human pain threshold,) which most things will be able to push.

Dec 30, 2008
I'm looking for some wireless over-ear headphones to connect to my computer. The problem I'm running into is that I'd rather avoid bluetooth headphones (since I've had issues with the range and reliability of bluetooth headphones in the past), which seems to exclude pretty much everything that isn't a bulky gamer headset that looks like it'd be super uncomfortable over long sessions. If I just want a regular pair of headphones that use a wireless dongle, am I basically looking for a product that doesn't exist?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Guest posted:

I'm looking for some wireless over-ear headphones to connect to my computer. The problem I'm running into is that I'd rather avoid bluetooth headphones (since I've had issues with the range and reliability of bluetooth headphones in the past), which seems to exclude pretty much everything that isn't a bulky gamer headset that looks like it'd be super uncomfortable over long sessions. If I just want a regular pair of headphones that use a wireless dongle, am I basically looking for a product that doesn't exist?

when was the last time you tried Bluetooth? Pretty much everything currently on the market worth getting is going to use it.

Dec 30, 2008

Ok Comboomer posted:

when was the last time you tried Bluetooth? Pretty much everything currently on the market worth getting is going to use it.

It's been a while since I've tried using it with a PC, but I get random interference between my bluetooth earbuds and my phone when it's in my pocket. I'm really struggling to think of a single positive experience I've had with bluetooth, that didn't involve it occasionally just dropping out.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I can listen to the same song on my PC and my phone through spotify, and my phone sounds way better. I don't think it's a power issue (how would the PC have less power than a phone?) So I guess I need a DAC?

I have a pair of Tanchjim Hana's and I love them.

e: I don't want to spend more then 50-100$ unless that's ridiculously low for something good.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 5, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Boba Pearl posted:

I can listen to the same song on my PC and my phone through spotify, and my phone sounds way better. I don't think it's a power issue (how would the PC have less power than a phone?) So I guess I need a DAC?

I have a pair of Tanchjim Hana's and I love them.

e: I don't want to spend more then 50-100$ unless that's ridiculously low for something good.

spend $9 on an Apple USB DAC, or $20 on a Behringer, and then put $100 into a headamp like a JDS Atom or Magni. Or get something like a Fulla for $109 that combines DAC+amp and gives you a mic in.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Ok Comboomer posted:

spend $9 on an Apple USB DAC, or $20 on a Behringer, and then put $100 into a headamp like a JDS Atom or Magni. Or get something like a Fulla for $109 that combines DAC+amp and gives you a mic in.

I'll get the Fulla then.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Boba Pearl posted:

I'll get the Fulla then.

👍 just be aware that the new Fulla dropped the analog input, if that matters to you. It has USB and optical now, along with the analog out for speakers/etc.

Something like an Atom or Magni will have 2 analog ins + stereo analog out.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
These are the same exact price but on Amazon Prime so I can get them in one day, (I hate waiting for poo poo)

Thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E10K-Headphone-Amplifier-Black/dp/B00LP3AMC2/

https://www.amazon.com/FiiO-Headphone-Amplifier-Computer-Balanced/dp/B07KR3RF4H/

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Boba Pearl posted:

These are the same exact price but on Amazon Prime so I can get them in one day, (I hate waiting for poo poo)

Thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E10K-Headphone-Amplifier-Black/dp/B00LP3AMC2/

https://www.amazon.com/FiiO-Headphone-Amplifier-Computer-Balanced/dp/B07KR3RF4H/

those aren’t really as polished or as desktop friendly as my suggestions, IMO.

I’d wait for some other people to chime in. Maybe they have better suggestions that you could get faster. Maybe an Apple DAC straight to headphones is enough? IDK how it would work with software volume control in your specific case

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I can't really think of a downside for the E10K offhand.

That should tell a lot.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
FWIW I really like all the FiiO gear I’ve owned. If you’re ok with the ergonomics (the small size can be a bonus) it’ll perform well. No mic input and the knob is way smaller tho

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
The only problem with the e10k is that it's so small that you kinda need to stick it down with some velcro or blue tak or something if it's strictly a desktop amp. Otherwise, it's a fine little amp, there's a reason they haven't messed with it much since 2014.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Drive by posting to also endorse the E10K. Or the K3, it's successor. I quite like Fiio's value offerings and I consider the K3 my primary wired IEM source.

Also yeah an amp the size of a matchbox car is going to move around when you yank on the cables no matter what you do. Physics in action.

(the K5 pro isn't bad either if you want more headphone juice for not much outlay)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If you want to skip the upgrade tree and just buy your "good enough" full sized headphone amp for any potential future needs, get the Topping X Shenzenaudio EX5 and be done with it. Then you can focus on your music collection more than the amp side of things.

If you can't find a local supplier buy direct from Shenzenaudio. Chi-fi best-fi.

(Fiio's K9 is almost definitely better but will cost you about double the money)

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Feb 6, 2022

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So the Shuoer S12 15mm Planar driver IEM. Stock form, boosted treble, weak bass, meh. I nearly gave them away. I was testing some bass stuff on the Sony Z1R and added in 8DB of bass at 40hz. Just to see you know? Well I forgot and plugged the S12 in and shat my pants.
I think its possible I like the S12 bass more than the Z1R?!!! I can say a few things for drat sure. The Planar driver can go down to 22hz with a massive amoun of energy. No other IEM has been able to do this. In fact the Z1R rolls off down there and you can hear the driver flapping around but not producing much air. S12 on the other hand, FULL EAR DRUM SHORT OUT.

Basshead set of the year and beyond!! Shuoer S12. Also, once you do add in 8+db of bass (LOL I KNOW), the mids and treble land actually much better and you end up with a basshead V style tuning that is probably the best of all time. It's got all the planar mojo, gigantic staging, incredible imaging and very deep sound.

I do love bass.

[edit]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRHfx6Ngt-k

That track shorts my eardrums out fully with no distortion. It's the best bass experience I've ever had with any iem ever.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 6, 2022

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just bought a Scarlett Solo USB audio interface to record podcasts with. The monitoring output is weak as hell with my headphones. Is there a recommended set of monitoring headphones for this situation? Would I be better off getting an amplifier, if so, what's a good budget one?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

I just bought a Scarlett Solo USB audio interface to record podcasts with. The monitoring output is weak as hell with my headphones. Is there a recommended set of monitoring headphones for this situation? Would I be better off getting an amplifier, if so, what's a good budget one?

The interface has an amp in it. I have the 2i2 and have had no issues with the monitor volume, but I also have the Scarlett headphones.

Are you recording with a dynamic or condenser mic?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm using an SM7B connected to a Cloudlifter. The monitor volume is cranked up all the way and I can barely hear anything. It's a noted issue in other reviews I've seen.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm using an SM7B connected to a Cloudlifter. The monitor volume is cranked up all the way and I can barely hear anything. It's a noted issue in other reviews I've seen.

What headphones are you using? Bus powered interfaces in general tend to have weak headphone output, you'll either want something sensitive or you can plug a headphone amp into the line out or stereo return or whatever.

I assume your mic levels look good in the meter, yes? The SM7B is wildly power hungry.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Right now I'm using a AKG k240.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSgzF79ivd0&t=606s

I guess maybe a higher impedance headphones? Other than that, I'd maybe use a small headphone amp in line.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 7, 2022

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
This is how it starts, you get some better headphones and you're like "oh wow" then you buy a dac/amp and you're like "hmmm ok, but more maybe?" and then that's it, your brain is broken and you spend millions of dollars on nothing, watching it evaporate like you just invested in a new restaraunt.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Boba Pearl posted:

This is how it starts, you get some better headphones and you're like "oh wow" then you buy a dac/amp and you're like "hmmm ok, but more maybe?" and then that's it, your brain is broken and you spend millions of dollars on nothing, watching it evaporate like you just invested in a new restaraunt.

No actually most interfaces do not do well with 'normal' headphones. I have a Motu MK5 Ultralight that does decently but even then I run a separate amp for headphones.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
How do headphone amps compare to just using an integrated speaker amp, anyway? I have a pair of Alesis Elevate 3s on my computer desk and I’ve just been using their headphone jack rather than buying an amp. Similarly, if I want to use headphones while watching TV I just use the jack on my receiver. Would I be getting higher quality sound if I bought a dedicated headphone amp?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Boba Pearl posted:

Oi.

A restaurant feeds people. Have you ever eaten an AirPod?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

redeyes posted:

Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSgzF79ivd0&t=606s

I guess maybe a higher impedance headphones? Other than that, I'd maybe use a small headphone amp in line.

Thanks. What's considered high impedance for headphones? This pair is rated at 55ohms. I think I'm leaning towards buying a mini amp.

Amazon brings up the Douk Audio U3 Mini as the first result.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Im not entirely sure the headphone jack just doesn't suck entirely. Yeah either higher impedance which I doubt I'd personally try. I haven't heard of Douk but I have heard of Fiio: https://www.amazon.com/FiiO-A3-Port...s%2C121&sr=8-41

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

endlessmonotony posted:

Oi.

you ever try to cook for your family on a hot vacuum tube?

or on the transformer box of a Darkvoice?

me either

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Detective No. 27 posted:

Thanks. What's considered high impedance for headphones? This pair is rated at 55ohms. I think I'm leaning towards buying a mini amp.

Amazon brings up the Douk Audio U3 Mini as the first result.

Impedance alone doesn't mean anything, you're looking for sensitivity. I think older k240s are pretty hard to drive.

Those little nobsound / douk / fosi / whatever things are okay but tend to be noisy and the QC is nonexistent. If you want something less generic, I'd go with a schiit magni or jds atom.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

endlessmonotony posted:

Oi.

Yeah but if you spend a quarter million on a restaraunt, you'll just have a half million dollars of debt in 5 years. At least the audio equipment doesn't produce negative monies.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Think I should get a Scarlett 212 over the Solo? I got the Solo second hand for a pretty good deal but I'm thinking the 212 would pair better with the SM7B.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
SM7B? Yikes, you should definitely buy something Julian Krause recs.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0HrD4cTsQpAZ8KK9jPzzGg

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
You already have a Cloudlifter for the SM7B, no? If so, the Solo should be enough unless you need the additional input and outputs of a 2i2.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So I had the gain set to maybe 50%, figured it was good enough. So I cranked it up and the monitor sounds a lot better.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Detective No. 27 posted:

So I had the gain set to maybe 50%, figured it was good enough. So I cranked it up and the monitor sounds a lot better.

I think Julian said you need to crank it to max gain?! whoa.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
You really, really need to meter your input. You shouldn't have to guess if it's too loud or quiet, you should know where it clips and be under that always.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
The DAC made a huge difference which makes me think my onboard sound card or dongle was kind of garbage, but holy poo poo, I thought I liked music, but actually I really really really love listening to music now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Boba Pearl posted:

The DAC made a huge difference which makes me think my onboard sound card or dongle was kind of garbage, but holy poo poo, I thought I liked music, but actually I really really really love listening to music now.

It's really actually not the DAC itself, its the amp circuit. Just to make that point.