Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

TheRealestMatt posted:

I'm playing it with Liam. I went in super blind, as in, I knew the game was named Undertale and it was good.

So I just played like, whatever, experimenting and doing different things, so I killed some stuff.

I was told by the internet this was the wrong way to play.

So I started over the save file, and played the correct way the internet yelled at me about. So we'll be continuing our LP from there.

Yeah I've felt bad when recommending to a couple people trying to reinforce "hey maybe decide ahead of time whether you want to do pacifist or kill everything" because Undertale has a ton of small variations on the neutral path that are cool and it's interesting to see how the game handles that stuff but it's simply a matter of a lot of people just don't have the patience for a second playthrough to get a different, more "canonical" ending so I try to steer them toward the way that lets them see the coolest stuff in a single playthrough. Also yeah having to replay the entire game is kind of detrimental to an LP I would think, you'd just wind up doing it all offscreen or leaving it be with the neutral ending (which again, is fine, but...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TheRealestMatt posted:

I'm playing it with Liam. I went in super blind, as in, I knew the game was named Undertale and it was good.

So I just played like, whatever, experimenting and doing different things, so I killed some stuff.

I was told by the internet this was the wrong way to play.

So I started over the save file, and played the correct way the internet yelled at me about. So we'll be continuing our LP from there.

I watched the first episode on vessel (signed up for a free month). Not going to say anything about the video itself outside that I can see how some would have complaints, I think you didn't quite have a handle on the mechanics right away, as far as I know (I've never played it). There were definite hints on good/evil playstyles there though that I think you might not have picked up on, I've heard UT inspires "outside the box approaches" to battles and stuff so hopefully you caught that the second go round.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm still lost on how they somehow impressed 'you're doing it wrong' here as opposed to anytime anyone ever posts anything on the internet.

Also I'm glad your point is a gigantic spoiler that I can't look at! That certainly helps!

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

Ruggington posted:

I got to the end of undertale feeling like absolute poo poo about the two kills I had made and I wouldn't have it any other way

My first run i had two kills as well toriel and undyne which is probably what you had as well then i replayed and got the pacifist ending, i might do THAT other ending as well but i dont think i want to

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

RareAcumen posted:

I'm still lost on how they somehow impressed 'you're doing it wrong' here as opposed to anytime anyone ever posts anything on the internet.

Also I'm glad your point is a gigantic spoiler that I can't look at! That certainly helps!

There's a very good reason, leave it at that then?

Post above mine is basically what I said though

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

RareAcumen posted:

It's a bit hard to tell you why without spoiling anything, dude.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Depths posted:

My first run i had two kills as well toriel and undyne which is probably what you had as well then i replayed and got the pacifist ending, i might do THAT other ending as well but i dont think i want to

it was actually Toriel and Doggo because I went in completely blind and hadn't quite realized what exactly I was doing/what was expected of me. killing Toriel made for some really strong moments and I'm really glad I stopped myself from reloading

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

There's a very good reason, leave it at that then?

Post above mine is basically what I said though

is a pacifist run an actual thing or a dumb challenge run like Nuzlocke?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

RareAcumen posted:

It's a actual story path.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

RareAcumen posted:

The game encourages you to solve your conflicts peacefully whenever possible.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh so it's Infamous.

Yet, I'm also fairly sure it's a JRPG soooo kill the monsters and who cares?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Oh so it's Infamous.

are you being this dense on purpose

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Oh so it's Infamous.

You shouldn't post about games you don't know about.

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.

RareAcumen posted:

Oh so it's Infamous.

Both statements are super wrong.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Undertale is basically if you made JRPG version of Alpha Protocol and took out the jank of Alpha Protocol and that's rad.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

RareAcumen posted:

Oh so it's Infamous.

Please buy the game and kill all the monsters. :allears:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

OneDeadman posted:

Undertale is basically if you made JRPG version of Alpha Protocol and took out the jank of Alpha Protocol and that's rad.

Oooh, now it's sounding interesting.

Dias posted:

Please buy the game and kill all the monsters. :allears:

Planned on it since someone mentioned 'pacifist run.'

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Undertale is awesome, I'm still playing it but I accidentally did the right thing and just didn't kill anything just for a challenge, turns out it's a legitimate path so I'm going pacifist all the way through. I like it a lot!

Also Matt, You should play the way you want to play, I watch SBF so I can see what dumb funny decisions stuff you take, if you let the Internet decide how to play then you'll end up with being on the 'straight and narrow' of things. As long as your decisions are genuinely coming from you and the gang and not a troll LP then it's fine.

Also, I got a new iPhone so I'm now subscribed to the cast rather than manually downloading each episode. voting 5. it's a crime that scrub podcasts like IGN and the Indoor Kids are over you in the charts.

In fact a lot of dumb bullshit occupy the top spots like a PlayStation only podcast and a destiny podcast, what kind of cretins listen to stuff like that? More than even the bombcast?! Really?

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 30, 2015

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

RareAcumen posted:

Oh so it's Infamous.

The difference is that Undertale has the best moral choice system ever put in a video game. Those systems in other games have always had various problems: pacifism being boring, being way too preachy, inconsequential results ("the player always gets something fun"), etcetera. Undertale deals with all of that, including other things that are hard to describe.

One of the best things is that the most enjoyable part of the battles is avoiding enemy attacks via bullethell-esque sections that are unique to every enemy, so a pacifist run is just as fun as a more violent one. I wish more RPGs would make dodging enemy attacks entertaining; the only other one that comes to mind is Mario & Luigi. Some RPGs make attacking fun with timed hits and stuff but they often make dodging attacks a QTE. M&L had more fun with it.

RareAcumen posted:

Oooh, now it's sounding interesting.

Planned on it since someone mentioned 'pacifist run.'

Honestly just go with what feels right. The game's pretty good about telling you what to do, and there are basically just three endings; none of Chrono Trigger's "end the game at this bizarre point for a secret ending".

The most important thing is that you find the game funny, though. If it doesn't make you laugh than that's a dealbreaker.

e: To clarify, it doesn't have a mega-complex branching story like Deus Ex or Alpha Protocol, it's more straightforward. Sorta.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Sep 30, 2015

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Pigbuster posted:

One of the best things is that the most enjoyable part of the battles is avoiding enemy attacks via bullethell-esque sections that are unique to every enemy, so a pacifist run is just as fun as a more violent one. I wish more RPGs would make dodging enemy attacks entertaining; the only other one that comes to mind is Mario & Luigi. Some RPGs make attacking fun with timed hits and stuff but they often make dodging attacks a QTE. M&L had more fun with it.

Now this is really selling me on it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Friend of mine did some work on undertale, told him about the LP and he went ahead and made this :v:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Ruggington posted:

are you being this dense on purpose
So much for trying to solve all your conflicts peacefully, eh?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

The Kins posted:

Sometimes being nice isn't the path to solving conflicts peacefully. Buttface.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Friend of mine did some work on undertale, told him about the LP and he went ahead and made this :v:

That rules

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Matt, I hope you eventually figured out that yellow name means you can spare them.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

wow this owns

sounds like matt didn't get any new messages or anything while starting over and getting to where they left off, so that's a good sign. if he's doing it right we get to see them stumble through the true lab

Tae posted:

Matt, I hope you eventually figured out that yellow name means you can spare them.

sounds like he reset and got back to the point they were at because the internet told him not to kill anyone. i guess we'll see in the videos.

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

I always watch fnf as a Friday night ritual, but with vessel and being impatient I guess it's Tuesday night fisticuffs for me from now on. Don't know how I feel about that lol but I can get used to having early content

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dias posted:

Sometimes being nice isn't the path to solving conflicts peacefully. Buttface.

What're you gonna do, stab me? :smuggo:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Small but notable news, FF15 changed a lot of stuff including removing the auto-battle system that's in the demo.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

The Kins posted:

*heckle

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Funny, during that kid prisoner rescue mission in MGSV, I was thinking the same thing as Pat and Liam.

"Why the gently caress would you use child soldiers, that's terrible!

I mean, they can't listen to poo poo or follow orders, ugggh please stay still"

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It's like Pokemon, the lower level makes them better if you min-max.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

This is why you use child soldiers.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I can't believe baby armor actually happened.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

That NIghtcrawler trivia was really cool but now I'm having no luck in finding extra information about it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

HGH posted:

I can't believe baby armor actually happened.

Yeah, Monster Hunter got dark.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Undertale stuff posted:

If Pat ever changes his mind on playing it, tell him that there's a binary good/evil morality system. If he always plays as the evil choice, he's in for a bad time. :allears:

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Oh god, it looks like that mission is so much easier if you just shoot down the helicopter.

I think Pequod died like 6 times when I ran that mission. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The mission's a hell lot easier and simpler if you get rid of the Anti-air radar before starting the mission, so you can just walk to the much closer LZ like 3 feet from the cave and dump the kids one by one after tranqing them.