Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That's an FCC violation anyway. You don't want to piss off the Federal Crapper Commission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Inspector_666 posted:

The difference between my suggestion and most of the ones that come out of sales is that the built-in bidet is actually something you need but just don't know it yet.

Yep, this is exactly like what someone from sales would say. Kudos on really getting into character.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 19, 2015

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Toshimo posted:

Twitter Integration

Twoots?

Twoops?

Twarts?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Inspector_666 posted:

Didn't you just get into IT like a year ago? How are you already doing interviews.

idk just lucky I guess :cheers:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Kashuno posted:

That's where I'm at; idk why we had considered Simplivity as an option, and I just sat through the most embarrassingly bad sales meeting ever with them. Trying to narrow down some storage options to put in front of upper management. Comparing Tintri and Tegile is next.

Simplivity isn't particularly impressive, even in the hyperconverged space, which is still fairly niche. We sell both Tintri and Tegile and I've got a fair amount of experience with both if you've got questions.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
On-prem toilets are an obsolete model of toilet implementation. The future of the toilet is placing it in the cloud.

Poop in the great Azure waters of the ocean. Place the security of your companies poop and poop-based rear endets in Microsoft's hands.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Three Seashells DLC!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Methanar posted:

On-prem toilets are an obsolete model of toilet implementation. The future of the toilet is placing it in the cloud.

Poop in the great Azure waters of the ocean. Place the security of your companies poop and poop-based rear endets in Microsoft's hands.

I thought the point of toilets was to get the poop out of the butt.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

There is no cloud, just other people's toilets.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

NippleFloss posted:

Simplivity isn't particularly impressive, even in the hyperconverged space, which is still fairly niche. We sell both Tintri and Tegile and I've got a fair amount of experience with both if you've got questions.

one of the big things my boss is looking at is statistics and replication on a per VM level, rather than a per volume level. From what I've read, it doesn't seem possible/easily doable on Tegile especially compared to Tintri. Does that sound accurate?

(also thanks I'm really new to this stuff and some of it is definitely going over my head)

slartibartfast
Nov 13, 2002
:toot:
What y'all need for Office Toilet 2.0 is a collaborative brownspace to more effectively leverage the synergistic creativity generated by communal evacuation.

Basically this with a whiteboard.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
This thread is fantastic right now. Also bidets really are the answer.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

This thread is fantastic right now. Also bidets really are the answer.
why are toilets round

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Vulture Culture posted:

why are toilets round

because mens rights are being trampled

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Methanar posted:

But enough about Exchange

mewse
May 2, 2006

slartibartfast posted:

What y'all need for Office Toilet 2.0 is a collaborative brownspace to more effectively leverage the synergistic creativity generated by communal evacuation.

Basically this with a whiteboard.

By leveraging an open concept bathroom stall area we not only save costs on capital expenditures, we also promote collaboration and a positive office environment

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

There is no cloud, just other people's toilets.

I'm already ahead of the curve with using the cloud to butt extension!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

CloFan posted:

Whoa now, don't want to incite a riot

The Cisco Mobility Express user guide has an AP called 'RESTROOM' on it. Those guys know what's up.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
fart

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Sep 23, 2018

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
In my town I'd be looking at community colleges.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Yeah, get in touch with the CS/CIS department secretaries at all your local colleges and trade schools, and they'll let you know which faculty members you should talk to. They're eager to place their new graduates, so most of them run job boards/lists; the better placement numbers for their grads help their school's numbers look better besides.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If I was a recruiter, I'd be working with every community college to set up LinkedIn Groups for their IT programs.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Chickenwalker posted:

Any recommendations on where to go to hire entry level IT nerds? My current flaky assistant decided the IT life wasn't for them and gave notice, I doubt they'll even stay the full two weeks. Haven't even been here 6 months.

Echoing the others sentiments. Get with the teachers at your local CC and ask for their best and brightest. They might not know everything but they'll get up to speed quickly.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Chickenwalker posted:

Any recommendations on where to go to hire entry level IT nerds? My current flaky assistant decided the IT life wasn't for them and gave notice, I doubt they'll even stay the full two weeks. Haven't even been here 6 months.

Is there a bus depot nearby?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I was just thinking it'd be funny if there was an equivalent to day laborers hanging out in front of Home Depot for Tech workers out in front of Fry's electronics.

You'd pull up in your Prius and yell out "ASP! Three! Powershell? No? You? Powershell? Get in!"

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Kashuno posted:

one of the big things my boss is looking at is statistics and replication on a per VM level, rather than a per volume level. From what I've read, it doesn't seem possible/easily doable on Tegile especially compared to Tintri. Does that sound accurate?

(also thanks I'm really new to this stuff and some of it is definitely going over my head)

Tegile can provide some per VM metrics through their VCenter plugin, but it isn't as detailed as the Tintri metrics. It can't do any of the per VM replication, snapshots, clones, or QOS.

The Tegile array will support non-virtual hosts, block storage and CIFS, if you need that. The Tintri will be very low touch and probably perform better if they are sized similarly, but it's virtual storage only, NFS only.

I like Tintri more fwiw. It's probably the closest thing to "set it and forget it" storage out there.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

Is there a bus depot nearby?

Home depot is probably a better solution.

Just roll up and yell "ANY ONE OF YOU WETBACKS KNOW HOW TO SETUP A NETWORK?"

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Chickenwalker posted:

Post in the job thread to, might snag a goon. I'd almost consider if it were even remotely in my area (It's probably not).

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Motherfucker, my boss just started getting emails from some Indian dude at Microsoft asking to get into a SAM engagement with us. The thing is, we are as busy as gently caress right now (ironically much of it is because of Office 365 being such a shitshow, for example the huge Sharepoint outage today), but still, it couldn't be any more clear cut:

- We have developers all at one site all with Macs and up-to-date MSDN licenses.

- We have sales people at another site, every last one has a company owned, admin-locked-down laptop with genuine OEM Win 8/10 Pro.

- No Windows servers whatsoever, no CALs to worry about.

- Just started an EA subscription for enough Office365 E3 licenses to cover everyone, two months back.

There is absolutely no dirt they are going to find on us, I'm a huge cheapskate but I run the place squeaky clean. I just really really don't want to deal with more spreadsheets and paperwork right now, especially with MS who come up with just about the worst of it. What is the quickest way out of this? I'm thinking some combination of getting our company lawyer in on it, calling the 1st-party Microsoft sales rep I bought the EA from (who clearly owes me a favor for that fat commission), explaining the situation honestly and that it's going to waste their time and ours and that he should tell his buddy to screw... that's my knee jerk reaction and I'm not sure I can muster anything more diplomatic than that.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Well, it would take you not much longer than that to fill out the spreadsheet they sent you with the same info in that post. Got through my last one with <5 hours invested.

You can escalate your way out of it sometimes. You can also easily delay it by three months.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

- Just started an EA subscription for enough Office365 E3 licenses to cover everyone, two months back.

What if you just email the person "This is our official headcount, your own documentation says we have that many licenses, I certify there are no windows servers anywhere. Can we just call this done?" (Only research being the headcount.)

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

Motherfucker, my boss just started getting emails from some Indian dude at Microsoft asking to get into a SAM engagement with us. The thing is, we are as busy as gently caress right now (ironically much of it is because of Office 365 being such a shitshow, for example the huge Sharepoint outage today), but still, it couldn't be any more clear cut:

- We have developers all at one site all with Macs and up-to-date MSDN licenses.

- We have sales people at another site, every last one has a company owned, admin-locked-down laptop with genuine OEM Win 8/10 Pro.

- No Windows servers whatsoever, no CALs to worry about.

There is absolutely no dirt they are going to find on us, I'm a huge cheapskate but I run the place squeaky clean. I just really really don't want to deal with more spreadsheets and paperwork right now, especially with MS who come up with just about the worst of it. What is the quickest way out of this? I'm thinking some combination of getting our company lawyer in on it, calling the 1st-party Microsoft sales rep I bought the EA from (who clearly owes me a favor for that fat commission), explaining the situation honestly and that it's going to waste their time and ours and that he should tell his buddy to screw... that's my knee jerk reaction and I'm not sure I can muster anything more diplomatic than that.

Didn't someone in this or another thread here say they just replied back that they'd be happy to go over it with them but they were slammed for this next quarter?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

frogbert posted:

Didn't someone in this or another thread here say they just replied back that they'd be happy to go over it with them but they were slammed for this next quarter?

My manager told MS they were gonna have to wait until next year when they called about an audit.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Methanar fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Aug 6, 2016

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

Kashuno posted:

We just deployed ~300TB of Tintri for a customer's ESXi environment. This is on top of ~150TB they already had and they seem to like them a lot.

We had one deployed in our lab and I love it because I hate storage and find it the most boring thing ever. Tintri is great because you don't really need to worry about managing it and it can bombard you with all kinds of useful information.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

1000101 posted:

We just deployed ~300TB of Tintri for a customer's ESXi environment. This is on top of ~150TB they already had and they seem to like them a lot.

We had one deployed in our lab and I love it because I hate storage and find it the most boring thing ever. Tintri is great because you don't really need to worry about managing it and it can bombard you with all kinds of useful information.

NippleFloss posted:

Tegile can provide some per VM metrics through their VCenter plugin, but it isn't as detailed as the Tintri metrics. It can't do any of the per VM replication, snapshots, clones, or QOS.

The Tegile array will support non-virtual hosts, block storage and CIFS, if you need that. The Tintri will be very low touch and probably perform better if they are sized similarly, but it's virtual storage only, NFS only.

I like Tintri more fwiw. It's probably the closest thing to "set it and forget it" storage out there.

I think these seal the deal for me tbh. Until we get someone new in, our IT dept now consists of just my boss and myself, and I'm still pretty inexperienced. A set and forget storage solution that still lets me get some good info is exactly what I need

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

If you tell them you need to postpone for a while, they'll absolutely accept that and give you a new due date for the spreadsheet.

Alternatively, since you seem to have a pretty good grasp on it already, just fill out the spreadsheet and call it done.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Haven't you been proudly posting for months and months about ebaying literally everything in your business, making frankenservers, and scamming hp warranties? This might not be as simple of a process as you are expecting

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Roargasm posted:

Haven't you been proudly posting for months and months about ebaying literally everything in your business, making frankenservers, and scamming hp warranties? This might not be as simple of a process as you are expecting

My two frankenservers run Xen and all Linux VMs, and my eBayed laptops and switches are all HP. The laptops are all the same one model with the Win 8 Pro license baked into the Bios and we use produ-key to extract and log those all. The HP warranties aren't even a scam, they are explicitly transferable.

As far as Microsoft is secured our asses are covered, I haven't given them an inch. Probably the shadiest thing I do as an IT guy is if I have some network device with no support contract I might search the internet for a mirror to the newer firmware. But I don't gently caress with the 800-pound gorilla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's not a confrontational process. As other people have said either take the 2 hours to fill out the spreadsheet or tell them you are busy and to check back in in 3 months. It's not a full blown Microsoft audit. They won't even scan your network.