Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
George Lucas is and has always been a weird dude that only ever succeeded because he happened to work with people who knew better and had final say on his poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Why did I mention it or why did George Lucas want to do that? I can't answer the later beyond he thought it'd be more interesting, for the former I just think it's funny that when some people complained about George Lucas raping their childhoods, they actually weren't that far off the mark.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Someday, hopefully, nerds will realize how incredibly creepy their preoccupation with the personal character of George Lucas is.

Gerard Jones was outed as a pedophile recently, yet it seems to have taught no comic fan any sense of perspective about creative types doing something wrong.

(by Finnish comic artist Petri Hiltunen)

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jan 14, 2017

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

nerdman42 posted:

I actually adore the Watchmen twist. Everyone tried so hard to recreate Watchmen with every comic under the sun go for uber-darkness and realism for far too long.

Making it canon that Manhatten made heroes cold and jackasses is exactly the kind of making GBS threads on Watchmen that I crave.

At the end of the day I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't end up making the DCCU ultimately follow bits of this idea at some point. The whole 'three jokers' thing is probably something they can use in future films if they don't want to be stuck with the Leto version of Joker for the new DCCU for the foreseeable future. A Watchmen movie tie-in to the current DC Films in about 6-8 years doesn't seem like it's as far out of the question as anything else at this point AND people who have been sort of critical of the grimdark direction of DCCU films might be turned around a bit if they ended up using it as a story point.

It'll turn out that Doctor Manhattan so hated the Green Lantern movie that he rebuilt the cinematic universe in such a way to erase it from DCCU continuity, entirely.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Someday, hopefully, nerds will realize how incredibly creepy their preoccupation with the personal character of George Lucas is.

Gerard Jones was outed as a pedophile recently, yet it seems to have taught no comic fan any sense of perspective about creative types doing something wrong.

See also: Gene Roddenberry.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

gently caress I love the spaceship and city designs.

Also there are some words but eh

Senior Woodchuck posted:

See also: Gene Roddenberry.

Nah Trekkies have mostly accepted that Roddenberry was a hypocrite and massive ridiculous perv with impossible ego issues who progressively went nuts and wrote like poo poo BUT also had some pretty drat cool and sometimes progressive ideas in the 60s. S'just how it was.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jan 14, 2017

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Dang you're right, recognizing huge shitlords as huge shitlords is the true creepiness.

makes u think

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Batman #181 (her first appearance)

Captain Oblivious posted:

Dang you're right, recognizing huge shitlords as huge shitlords is the true creepiness.

makes u think

Nerd preoccupation of George Lucas's character has nothing to do with him doing something bad, unless you seriously think his creative decisions are evil. It's just people trying to justify not liking a bunch of movies he made or re-edited. It's creepy how nerds have gone on for years and year about how he is a bad man and stupid and always sucked.

Even if he had done something bad, it would be used to merely feed existing hatred over movies. Their opinion of George Lucas is parsed through their opinions on the franchise. No nerd will care about the Hamill abortion scandal in the long run: even though it's worse than Lucas apparently wanting Indiana Jones to be a pedophile because real people were affected, it ultimately has nothing to do with a franchise.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 26, 2017

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

A real "politically correct" Flash Gordon would point out how planetary romances were frequently built on Orientalist and other flat stereotypes about other human beings, growing out of earlier "Boys' Own Adventure"-type stories about exploring the darker continents; I give this satire a 2/10 (2 points for spaceships)

For content:

I love Tintin and would probably buy Tintin in the Congo if it wasn't so expensive.

The Dagda fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 14, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Skwirl posted:

This is also a decent time to point out that George Lucas' original idea for Indiana Jones had his backstory with Marion being that Indy was in college and hosed his favorite professor's 12 year old daughter.

Iirc Spielberg was also in the meeting for that- I can't remember which one of them was responsible for it, or why it was axed.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Too much concern over the appropriate response to movies, not enough casual murder.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Discendo Vox posted:

Iirc Spielberg was also in the meeting for that- I can't remember which one of them was responsible for it, or why it was axed.

Spielberg's exact words were "She better have been older than 12"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Context: Tilly and Kate were crime kingpins (queenpins?) in Sydney, Australia.
http://www.rejectedprincesses.com/princesses/kate-leigh-and-tilly-devine

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Phy posted:

Context: Tilly and Kate were crime kingpins (queenpins?) in Sydney, Australia.
http://www.rejectedprincesses.com/princesses/kate-leigh-and-tilly-devine

That was fantastic! Thanks for the new site to add to my bookmarks.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Lol at them trying to write Isabella of France into a feminist hero though.

She lost her happy ending.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SomeMathGuy posted:

Too much concern over the appropriate response to movies, not enough casual murder.

If you're not familiar with that old-timey gesture of pushing your hat towards the front of your face, I wonder what you would think Donald's doing in that last panel.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
New One Punch Man.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Say Nothing posted:

New One Punch Man.

I find it amusing how many 'tank top' heroes are in the series, but knowing there are so many tank top hero wannabes makes it even better.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Blackchamber posted:

I find it amusing how many 'tank top' heroes are in the series, but knowing there are so many tank top hero wannabes makes it even better.

They're basically the O'Doyles from Billy Madison

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Blackchamber posted:

That's Tanktop Master talking to Mumen Rider, who was getting his poo poo pushed in stopping monsters from invading a hospital

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Onmi posted:

That's Tanktop Master talking to Mumen Rider, who was getting his poo poo pushed in stopping monsters from invading a hospital

In the purest sense of the word "hero", Mumen Rider is the greatest hero in the One Punch Man universe.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

flosofl posted:

In the purest sense of the word "hero", Mumen Rider is the greatest hero in the One Punch Man universe.

Absolutely, which is why this chapter's other plot worked so well. But that's for badass moments.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

By recommendation I decided to read through Marvel's Cosmic/Annihilation line:

Thanos #3, what a glorious rear end in a top hat :allears:

flosofl posted:

He wrote that thank you note to Saitama :unsmith:

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Onmi posted:

I wasn't talking about that particular panel. I believe theres a part where some c-list heroes are considering switching to the tank top gimmick. I'll double check when I get home.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

While we're on the topic of OPM, I just got the vol 10 collection. For some reason this panel made me laugh like crazy

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Lobok posted:

If you're not familiar with that old-timey gesture of pushing your hat towards the front of your face, I wonder what you would think Donald's doing in that last panel.

He's doing that thing where he pats himself on the head while rubbing his belly.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

By recommendation I decided to read through Marvel's Cosmic/Annihilation line:

Thanos #3, what a glorious rear end in a top hat :allears:

Is that the current Thanos book?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SilverSupernova posted:

Is that the current Thanos book?

From the 12 issue series back in 2005/06 just before the big Annihilation storyline.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Something that cracks me up in One Punch Man

Here you can see Fubuki enjoying a delicious chocolate cookie:

I'm not 100% sure, but since she doesn't have one in ONE's original version it sure looks like Murata just misinterpreted Geno's shoulder pad thing at first then decided to just roll with it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Say what you will about the art in Squirrel Girl (hopefully you say nothing), but if you don't think the title of Vol.2 is hilarious I don't know what to tell you

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

a kitten posted:

Something that cracks me up in One Punch Man

Here you can see Fubuki enjoying a delicious chocolate cookie:

I'm not 100% sure, but since she doesn't have one in ONE's original version it sure looks like Murata just misinterpreted Geno's shoulder pad thing at first then decided to just roll with it.

Why is the dialogue more natural and better translated in this lovely-looking old version?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Wow, loving the Flatman scarf callback.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

probably because they were translated by different people, mike

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Why is the dialogue more natural and better translated in this lovely-looking old version?

Different translators.

Here's the Viz version.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Alaois posted:

probably because they were translated by different people, mike

Yeah but you'd think they'd just reuse the old one given it's clearly better? Ah well, never mind.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I dont think fan translators collaborate much.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh, okay, I didn't know they were fan translated.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Such is the way of these japanese man gas

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rhyno posted:

Say what you will about the art in Squirrel Girl (hopefully you say nothing), but if you don't think the title of Vol.2 is hilarious I don't know what to tell you

I just got the first two trades, and holy poo poo is it hard to read the little jokes at the bottom of the pages. They're so small and faint. :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Rhyno posted:

I don't get it.