Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

T. Howard posted:

If you've ever looked at a development-stage world map for a game like Oblivion or Skyrim, you'll immediately notice that, frankly, it looks a lot like a maze. We've got all of the predicted routes plotted out, the anticipated player movements, the geographical plot progression. Eventually you realize that players are a lot like rats and the maps are a lot like mazes with cheese--some sort of tangible player reward--at the center. Once you understand that, it becomes really simple to build worlds and 'dungeons' that satisfy the player, because they are fundamentally a rat searching for that satisfying cheese. And our responsibility as developers is to funnel those players into the right directions so they can find that cheese faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Boogaleeboo posted:

That or the fact that every piece of random loot can be used in crafting means that Stimpacks will be more useful for barter, as you'll be using up every other drat fool thing in making poo poo.
It will all be worth the effort for manufacturing my Shawarma Spire Tesla Coil.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Magmarashi posted:

Following the vague, sometimes slightly incorrect journal entries to a quest objective in Morrowind was a goddamn nightmare of aimless wandering and quadruple checking poo poo then staring at rocks, especially with how the journal was arranged like a real loving journal. You can't even pretend that it was a better way of doing things.

Chests and crates in Morrowind were 90% candles, silverware, 1 gold coin and pillows with a chest occasionally of something really good but it was placed there intentionally, which it shares in common with Oblivion and Skyrim. A great deal of 'It was SO MUCH better!' is straight up rose-tinting. The only things that really set it apart were the crazy setting and the drug-tripped story, without those it has all the same pitfalls and shortcomings of the others.

You are insanely stupid.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
And the weird thing is, I even agree with you, you just seem like a complete moron.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Magmarashi posted:

without those it has all the same pitfalls and shortcomings of the others.

When a newer product made with newer technology has the same shortcomings of its predecessor, it is a failure. Especially if in the process it removes positive qualities.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

This owns. I like Elijah trashing the PipBoy in Dead Money too.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Nasgate posted:

When a newer product made with newer technology has the same shortcomings of its predecessor, it is a failure. Especially if in the process it removes positive qualities.

It's only a failure to Bethesda if it fails to meet their expectations and Bethesda's expectation is to make a shitload of money, which it continues to do obscenely.

I have no interest in discussing which games are or are not failures, merely pressing home that everyone has weird horse blinders and fickle double standards about one particular game in the series that really isn't different.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Magmarashi posted:

It's only a failure to Bethesda if it fails to meet their expectations and Bethesda's expectation is to make a shitload of money, which it continues to do obscenely.

I have no interest in discussing which games are or are not failures, merely pressing home that everyone has weird horse blinders and fickle double standards about one particular game in the series that really isn't different.

Yeah, we should critique media works only by the measure of how profitable they end up being.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, we should critique media works only by the measure of how profitable they end up being.

"to Bethesda". The implication being that Bethesda doesn't care so much about how much of a success or failure their latest game is to us as long as it makes them shittons of money and all the popular websites say it is GAME OF THE YEAR or whatever. Which is loving dumb and I really wish they gave their work a little more love and care in the story departments instead of coasting along on mediocre but I also keep buying their stuff so I am part of the problem.

Critique whatever based on whatever criteria you feel are most important to your personal experience.

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Sep 24, 2015

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Nasgate posted:

What exactly are the consequences for a game being a failure then? It hasn't seemed to affect the industry at large at all, despite this being repeatedly true for over two decades soon.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

steinrokkan posted:

You can critique it all you want but the immediate and driving force behind 'success' is money made.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Magmarashi posted:

Following the vague, sometimes slightly incorrect journal entries to a quest objective in Morrowind was a goddamn nightmare of aimless wandering and quadruple checking poo poo then staring at rocks, especially with how the journal was arranged like a real loving journal. You can't even pretend that it was a better way of doing things.
It was far from perfect but it led to a more interesting experience than "Follow the big arrow." Like with pretty much any of Morrowind's flaws I would rather they have tried to re-work it and make it better than just scrap it all together when they made the next game, while adding in other frustrating things and removing some of the best ideas the series had like the magic crafting. I liked having a reason to explore the game world other than being tired of looking at the NPC's ugly faces. Sometimes I was way off base with where I thought a quest wanted me to go and I'd wind up finding other places that were neat. In skyrim all I ever found were near identical caves and zombie caves.

Magmarashi posted:

Chests and crates in Morrowind were 90% candles, silverware, 1 gold coin and pillows with a chest occasionally of something really good but it was placed there intentionally, which it shares in common with Oblivion and Skyrim. A great deal of 'It was SO MUCH better!' is straight up rose-tinting. The only things that really set it apart were the crazy setting and the drug-tripped story, without those it has all the same pitfalls and shortcomings of the others.
I seem to remember Morrowind having a lot of its unique items hidden somewhere in the world, accidentally finding some incredibly powerful arrows hidden somewhere weird was always a treat. Maybe that bit is nostalgia talking, but in skyrim there's never really any reward or reason for exploring it seems. You're not likely to run into any quest givers outside of the towns, you're not really going to find any unique or interesting dungeons and at best you'll find a piece of randomly enchanted treasure because pretty much anything worth getting is a quest reward.

Morrowind wasn't a perfect game, but like someone else pointed out. When later entries in a series have the same problems an earlier one does while removing the best parts of it and adding very little, there's a problem.

Mordaedil posted:

What exactly are the consequences for a game being a failure then? It hasn't seemed to affect the industry at large at all, despite this being repeatedly true for over two decades soon.
Given that Gearbox got away with stealing the Colonial Marines money and no one did anything. There isn't any. Everyone's in a rush to try and say gaming is serious now and everyone should pay attention to it, but no one gives a poo poo about anything that goes on behind the scenes or about the quality of the products people are expected to pay for.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Sep 24, 2015

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

KakerMix posted:

You can critique it all you want but the immediate and driving force behind 'success' is money made.

But we're geeks (and/or geeky-ish folk) comparing videos games (3am in my timezone too). You can keep your money, it won't buy you the posts. Can't stop the posts.

I just pre-ordered Fallout 4 for PS4 tonight for the record, along with Transformers Devastation.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Sep 24, 2015

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Pwnstar posted:

This owns. I like Elijah trashing the PipBoy in Dead Money too.

Taking the piss out of the conventions of your own medium is pretty important. Elijah calling your PipBoy a leash that tells you what to do and where to go was a great attack on the necessary evil of objective markers in giant open worlds. I loved it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Magmarashi posted:

"to Bethesda". The implication being that Bethesda doesn't care so much about how much of a success or failure their latest game is to us as long as it makes them shittons of money and all the popular websites say it is GAME OF THE YEAR or whatever. Which is loving dumb and I really wish they gave their work a little more love and care in the story departments instead of coasting along on mediocre but I also keep buying their stuff so I am part of the problem.

Critique whatever based on whatever criteria you feel are most important to your personal experience.

The guy said "it's a failure because from my point of view as a consumer it's a step down", which you shut down with "well, it isn't a failure for Bethesda :smug:" which was weirdly defensive. Is all.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

the great deceiver posted:

Can't wait to play this game on my PS4 with a controller. Hope they dumb it down enough for me at the expense of all the crybaby nerd PC players

Historically, Bethesda hasn't done right by PlayStation when it comes to Fallouts. Weren't 3 and NV unplayable due to memory bloat?

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Can't wait for the mod that lets me replace the idiot dog with a cool cat.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Peztopiary posted:

Can't wait for the mod that lets me replace the idiot dog with a cool cat.

How many dicks will it have though?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Fallout Shelter chat:
Don't like what you got from a lunchbox? Reload your save! (assuming you are making backups)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Moridin920 posted:

Morrowind's setting was way more unique than Skyrim's imo.

Skyrim's is hella viking/north fantasy generic.

Okay sure, but when you say Skyrim is "Viking generic", which other games have that setting? I can't think of any.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Generic and Viking are hardly something you put in one sentence

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

oh sure, it's a bearskin cloak, but he got it off the rack

Is there a list for the monsters your dwellers encounter in Shelter? I haven't broken 4 days yet, but I figure there's more than Super Mutant Behemoths and Overlords out there.

slicing up eyeballs fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Sep 24, 2015

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Speedball posted:

Taking the piss out of the conventions of your own medium is pretty important. Elijah calling your PipBoy a leash that tells you what to do and where to go was a great attack on the necessary evil of objective markers in giant open worlds. I loved it.

Personally, I like how Phantom Pain does it. They give you a radius on your map, and then you can do stuff in-game to get actual tagged objective markers (interrogation, finding documents, following context clues, just getting lucky with the binocs).

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

The guy said "it's a failure because from my point of view as a consumer it's a step down", which you shut down with "well, it isn't a failure for Bethesda :smug:" which was weirdly defensive. Is all.

It was expressed less like his opinion and more like it was a universal given that they are failures, which seems to be a thing a lot of people do when leveling criticism at Oblivion and Skyrim in comparison to Morrowind.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Peztopiary posted:

Historically, Bethesda hasn't done right by PlayStation when it comes to Fallouts. Weren't 3 and NV unplayable due to memory bloat?

It took nearly 12 patches to finally make Skyrim properly playable on PS3, and we got the DLC's in reverse order because of all the troubles they had implementing them, Dragonborn was released first, followed by the House Building DLC and Dawnguard last.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

https://bethesda.net/#en/events/game/fallout-4s-character-system/2015/09/24/31
beth made a video about the character system

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Please don't link to stuff on Bethsoft's website where you have to select country and confirm age, just link to the YouTube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsFpH4jm-QI

sout
Apr 24, 2014

sector_corrector posted:

Please don't link to stuff on Bethsoft's website where you have to select country and confirm age, just link to the YouTube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsFpH4jm-QI

Good point, the twitter link I used didn't require it I think (or cookies helped me) but there's some extra writing on beth's page.
That arm texture looks kinda crummy but oh well who cares i'm dumb

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Huh, it turns out that character creator site that someone mocked up a few weeks ago was fairly accurate. I guess they let you up your SPECIAL every one or two levels? Also noticing a lot of +X% to damage stuff in there. Typical Bethesda.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah, it's a shame there isn't like a CHA 7 perk for Make Your VA British or something
e: it works like the sex perk in F2

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

sector_corrector posted:

Huh, it turns out that character creator site that someone mocked up a few weeks ago was fairly accurate. I guess they let you up your SPECIAL every one or two levels? Also noticing a lot of +X% to damage stuff in there. Typical Bethesda.

No, you get a Perk each level. You can spend a Perk to up one SPECIAL stat.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
A 10 Cha build sounds great for ordering lovely npc's around. I hope it means also robbing people at (laser) gun point.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Their idea of a "focused and exotic" perk is +25% damage to an enemy. Bethesda sure is creative :jerkbag:

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

sector_corrector posted:

It seems like SPECIAL is its own set of perks, so you can either increase your own SPECIAL or pick a perk.

Talkc posted:

A 10 Cha build sounds great for ordering lovely npc's around. I hope it means also robbing people at (laser) gun point.
I hope they're hiding the Fulton extraction perk until release.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bholder posted:

Generic and Viking are hardly something you put in one sentence

For real? There's all kinds of generic viking themed games out there.

computer parts posted:

Okay sure, but when you say Skyrim is "Viking generic", which other games have that setting? I can't think of any.

Just the first two that popped up when I entered 'viking game steam' into Google. The landscape are basically the same.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/234530/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/211160/

Look I liked Skyrim's landscapes and setting but lol come on they weren't very unique. Mountains, forests, snow, etc. Riften was the most interesting just because it was different. Compared to something like Morrowind it's generic setting as hell.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
So that Character system video had Lady Killer as a base Charisma perk. Either Confirmed Bachelor is within Lady Killer's own perk tree, or it's not in the game by the looks of it.
If it is, you could be straight or bi. Doesn't seem to be a logical way to get a gay perk in there. Unless of course when you first pick the Charisma perk it asks you "Yo, wanna bang dudes or chicks?" and then gives you the appropriate perk.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SunAndSpring posted:

Their idea of a "focused and exotic" perk is +25% damage to an enemy. Bethesda sure is creative :jerkbag:
I really want rope kid to head another Fallout game just so we can have perks worth a gently caress again.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

SunAndSpring posted:

At least it's better than 3's "+10 to a skill" perks.

Speaking of are skills still in? Haven't been paying attention.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I like the sound of the new perk system, since the article says that each additional rank has something unique to add besides just 20% damage or whatever. I am curious if the perk poster will be easy to mod though. I'm reminded of Skyrim's constellation menu and how terribly built it was, in as much as I think modders were hard-coded out of adding additional skill trees to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I like how the perks are animated now. It's a nice touch. Also hooray for being able to pick my fav perks right off the bat.

• Locked thread