Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
The one pack of Dark Ascension waters down the consistency of the ISD strategies enough that they are a lot tougher to assemble. It also has several powerful b/w tribal enablers to make it the strongest color combo. And w/u fliers gets a lot of new fliers as well.

It does have Lost in the Woods which if you can do it makes it worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Bugsy posted:

The one pack of Dark Ascension waters down the consistency of the ISD strategies enough that they are a lot tougher to assemble. It also has several powerful b/w tribal enablers to make it the strongest color combo. And w/u fliers gets a lot of new fliers as well.

It does have Lost in the Woods which if you can do it makes it worth it.

I still don't quite get how that deck works. You're still drawing a card every turn, so you will deck out about as fast as they will. You lose if they have a single Mental Note or whatever.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Everblight posted:

I still don't quite get how that deck works. You're still drawing a card every turn, so you will deck out about as fast as they will. You lose if they have a single Mental Note or whatever.

You put more cards in their deck and aggressively mulligan til you have it in your hand. All your other cards are Forest (Go for broke, just scoop all the lands out of the land box) so it's FOOL PROOF

unless you dont draw it

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Telex posted:

the lore stuff going on is about a billion times more interesting than people discussing making pennies by spending dollars on cards.
I wouldn't call this plot a billion times more interesting than anything, up to and including staring at a completely blank white wall.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Alright, so if I'm going to :retrogames: and buy some old stuff to play draft and then build a cube out of, I should just do Innistrad by itself, correct?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Kylaer posted:

Alright, so if I'm going to :retrogames: and buy some old stuff to play draft and then build a cube out of, I should just do Innistrad by itself, correct?

Homelands (the spiritual precursor to Innistrad) has like 5 playable cards in it and is a flavor match. Though I'd just steal the art, mock 'em up in MSE and knock (2) off of everything's cost if I was gonna do that.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

So for removal in Rise

Common:
Bone Splinters: The only straight up destroy a creature spell to be had in the entire set. Decent chance of getting 2-0'd off this
Death Wind: -x/-x for Xb. Hey this is actually ok(drat YOU ELYV CALLING ME OUT ON MISSING THIS)
Necrobite: Not really removal, but it gives death touch and regen. you take what you can get
Searchlight Geist: Can gain death touch for 3B
Pillar of Flame: Holy hell, an actually kind of ok card. 2 for R and exiles. Sorcery though
Defang: lovely pacifism. It can still attack and block
Ghoulflesh: -1/-1 for B. Trememdous meeeeeeh
Spectral Prison: the bottom of the barrel for blue doesn't untap auras
Guise of Fire: well, it gives -1 toughness and costs 1 so we'll call it removal.

Uncommon:
Human Frailty: Probably alright, killing a human for B is ok with the amount of humans around
Holy Justiciar: Expensive tapper if your opponent is playing a good deck, reusable removal if your opponent has zombies
Lightning Prowess: An aura that costs as much as Prodigal Pyromancer/Sorceror to grant that ability+hast.
Thunderous Justice: Either a 6 mana or a 1 mana 5 damage burn spell. probably ok if not in your opening hand as long as they give you a decent target
Banishing Stroke: See above except it bottom of the libraries their creature and can't dome the opponent
Vigilante Justice: There are enough humans around to make 1 damage per human ETB alright but not consistent

Rare:
Gallows at Willow Hill: Requires 3 untapped humans AND they get a spirit afterwards
Angel of Glory's Rise: The nuclear option for all zombies+bonus human reanimation
Dark Imposter: This guy is a loving boss if useless til T6
Spirit Away: 7cmc Mind Control
Burn at the Stake: Provided you have guys you can kill just about anything for 5 mana and tapping 1-3 guys. Also can be a ginormous finisher
Terminus: Basically a Wrath for either 1 or 6 mana.

Mythic:
Bonfire of the Damned: HOLY poo poo

Also there is some scattered destroy target flyer/deal damage to flyer stuff.

Also several cards that can flicker. Cloudshift and Ghostly Flicker at common, Nephalia Smuggler at Uncommon, and Deadeye Navigator and Restoration Angel at rare.

But if you ever feel your removal is bad just be happy you aren't playing Avacyn Restored.

Alaan fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 10, 2016

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

To be completely fair, you forgot about Death Wind, one of the best common removal spells in the set.

Of course, if you were playing it, you were playing black and therefore probably losing to trusted forcemages and mist ravens anyway.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Kylaer posted:

There are definitely INNx3 cubes, you have to curate it a bit though (1x every rare, 3x every common or whatever)

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Or you could just proxy up some ISD packs with a draft generator and use those if you don't feel like spending more than some printer ink and about 5 bucks of printing paper.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Elyv posted:

To be completely fair, you forgot about Death Wind, one of the best common removal spells in the set.

Of course, if you were playing it, you were playing black and therefore probably losing to trusted forcemages and mist ravens anyway.

Yeah I searched destroy, exile, bottom, damage, and aura. so missed Death Wind

E: and sac effects. I am so off my game tonight. So add Barter in Blood, Killing Wave, and Rite of Ruin, and Ulvenwald Tracker fighting. Three of those are rare though.

Alaan fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 10, 2016

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
As bad as Green turned out to be in BFZ, Black in Avacyn Restored was worse.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Hellsau posted:

I don't know if I agree with that but they're both pretty bad.

You know what a fair card in limited is, by the way? Druid's Familiar. Turn 3 Trusted Forcemage, turn 4 Druid's Familiar, attack for 5. Turn 5 attack for 10, even with no 2 drop.

What a format.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Hellsau posted:

I mean it was the color of ANGELS and ANGELS are the color of WHITE and WHITE is the enemy of BLACK and thus this makes SENSE OR WHATEVER.

Why wasn't there a Black Angel anyway, Sorin's BW.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Count Bleck posted:

I mean it was the color of ANGELS and ANGELS are the color of WHITE and WHITE is the enemy of BLACK and thus this makes SENSE OR WHATEVER.

Why wasn't there a Black Angel anyway, Sorin's BW.

Griselbrand basically ate the black Angel slot. I still think Avacyn should have been BW though.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Calling it now, Tamiyo faked her own death because whatever she uncovered in the murder mystery was too dangerous for her to handle on her own and had to go into hiding until the Actually Important Characters came to handle it and save her.

Everblight posted:

My DKA release sealed pool was garbage so I played Four Color Trash and just hoped to get a game win before playing the dreaded 44 forest Lost in the Woods deck. Pretty sure I x-0'd that release

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Relevant to the discussion a few pages back about what a cool guy Caleb Durward is, the last video of his latest set on CFB has a guy with a foiled out Affinity deck who gets salty when Caleb starts dismantling him. It's pretty awesome.

rabidsquid posted:

Calling it now, Tamiyo faked her own death because whatever she uncovered in the murder mystery was too dangerous for her to handle on her own and had to go into hiding until the Actually Important Characters came to handle it and save her.

Is "Tamiyo is dead" an actual thing that we know about or have grounds to suspect, vs. her just having noped out of Innistrad regardless of how cool its moon is?

I love rabidsquidposting but I'm not sure what level of it I'm dealing with here.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Why do people need prizes to draft with friends? Isn't having fun the point of magic...nvm.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

JerryLee posted:

Is "Tamiyo is dead" an actual thing that we know about or have grounds to suspect, vs. her just having noped out of Innistrad regardless of how cool its moon is?

I love rabidsquidposting but I'm not sure what level of it I'm dealing with here.
It comes from the flavor text on Pour Over the Pages:
"I'm certain that the fate of Markov Manor is connected to these cryptoliths...' This Tamiyo was on to something."
That said it could just be that she left the plane at some point.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
hopefully she left to go study some other cool moons, and we'll catch up with her on one of the cooler planes from planechase

E: That said, I don't think current wotc creative is willing to use one of the 5 planeswalker slots in a block for a side character who doesn't really flesh out the block's story/background

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

GeneX posted:

E: That said, I don't think current wotc creative is willing to use one of the 5 planeswalker slots in a block for a side character who doesn't really flesh out the block's story/background

This interpretation assumes that Innistrad's Weird As gently caress Moon isn't even a tiny part of why we're back.. which is probably right and definitely disappointing :smith:

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

GeneX posted:

They do this in basically every block though?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Niton posted:

This interpretation assumes that Innistrad's Weird As gently caress Moon isn't even a tiny part of why we're back.. which is probably right and definitely disappointing :smith:

The second set of the block is literally named Eldritch Moon.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Yeah BFZ is the first block in quite a while without some new schlub just showing up and being like "Yo I'm the new walker in town." because basically 10 walkers had a reasonable excuse to be on Zendikar at this point.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Elyv posted:

The second set of the block is literally named Eldritch Moon.

And they somehow couldn't figure out how to get small, low-cmc dragons into Dragons of Tarkir. Less than half a year later, Battle for Zendikar, filled with small, low-cmc versions of an iconic large creature, was released. Creative is terrible beyond words, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they thought the name of the second set wasn't enough of a connection to "Moon Mage" to include her.

Niton fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 10, 2016

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Niton posted:

And they somehow couldn't figure out how to get small, low-cmc dragons into Dragons of Tarkir. Less than half a year later, Battle for Zendikar, filled with small, low-cmc versions of an iconic large creature, was released. Creative is terrible beyond words.

They also couldn't find a way to put a dragon at common in Dragons of Tarkir... two months after they put a dragon at common in Fate Reforged.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I mean at least the flavor text means they haven't forgotten her entirely. I can imagine they would want her to return on a different plane just to emphasize that she moves around :shrug:

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
I hope Ashiok shows up in Eldritch Moon. Nightmares becoming reality would be the perfect theme for an Innistrad set. It also helps that Ashiok was a fantastic design even though they did gently caress-all storywise the only time they showed up in Theros.

Granted I doubt it would actually happen, having a Blue/Black walker in a set where a Blue and a Black walker are heavily promoted is very unlikely to happen.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Alris posted:

I hope Ashiok shows up in Eldritch Moon. Nightmares becoming reality would be the perfect theme for an Innistrad set. It also helps that Ashiok was a fantastic design even though they did gently caress-all storywise the only time they showed up in Theros.

Granted I doubt it would actually happen, having a Blue/Black walker in a set where a Blue and a Black walker are heavily promoted is very unlikely to happen.

Um Ashiok hosed up Duck Faygo Greatest Thief in the Multiverse whilst he rolled some random town on Theros.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

JerryLee posted:

I am just dropping spoilers for the overarching Shadows over Relentless Rats story.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Chris Pikula just made the hugest punt in tutoring for a tinker into blightsteel with 2 extra turns lined up against a 2/2 defender

He cast chain of vapor to remove the defender (even though he had tons of turns to get the kill) which let Randy sac a land to re-cast chain to bounce the blightsteel

But then Chris managed to timetwister into Dark Ritual, Tendrils

Apparently he was trying to be entertaining in not just Tendriling.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The shadow over Innistrad is actually being cast by a giant groundhog.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think he also made multiple major punts earlier in that turn and was bailed out by Time Twister, Time Walk and Yawgmoth's Will.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think he also made multiple major punts earlier in that turn and was bailed out by Time Twister, Time Walk and Yawgmoth's Will.

much better faerie godmothers than arcbound ravager

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I actually can't think of a better detective than an infinite number of tireless workers.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Um Ashiok hosed up Duck Faygo Greatest Thief in the Multiverse whilst he rolled some random town on Theros.

What is Dock up to right now anyway?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Ramos posted:

What is Dock up to right now anyway?

Last seen he was breaking into the Underworld for Reasons. I'm hoping he breaks out Elspeth and steals the hero role from Ajani.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Pauper is a lot of fun to brew in. Trying an eldrazi scion/spawn deck with morbid (tragic slip too good) and nantuko husk. Then throw in rancor and vines because why not I'm in green. So far its working pretty well.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The Lord of Hats posted:

I am going to throw words at you now!

Decks to Be Aware Of:

G/W Aggro: This is nominally human tribal, except the only real payoff for that is Hamlet Captain (who is pretty sweet imo, but not exactly something you force humans for). The card that really makes this deck tick is Travel Preparations. Travel Preparations is really goddamn good. You play a lot of 2/2 and 2/3s and the like in this deck, and Travel Prep is frequently enough to push them over the edge of your opponents (2/3) blockers. The equipment is good, especially Butcher's Cleaver.

W/U Fliers: It's a skies deck, there are spirits that are good, pretty straightforward. Butcher's Cleaver is good, especially when you stick it on Invisible Stalker. Invisible Stalker + equipment (*especially* cleaver) was pretty much the Pack Rat of Innistrad. Silent Departure is probably the best blue common. Grasp of whatever that puts it on top of their library is also good, but pretty expensive.

U/B Zombies: This is about milling yourself (good ways to do this are Deranged Assistant, who ramps you, and Armored Skaab, who's a 1/4 with ETB self-mill). Using the creatures milled this way, you put out otherwise grossly-undercosted cards like Stitched Drake, which is a 3/4 flyer for 3 holy poo poo (except you have to exile a creature from your graveyard to cast it).

B/R: this is supposed to be vampire aggro, but... it's just not really that great. Doesn't really add up to a ton, and you'll mostly just be playing Good Cards (like Brimstone Volley, which is a *very* Good Card, or Victim of Night or Tribute to Hunger). The 4 mana 2/2 flyer (I think) that drains your opponent for one every time any creature dies is goddamn absurd.

R/G: Woofs and werewoofs! Not as much of a Deck as GW, WU, or UB, but more of one than RB. Generally, you're gonna do aggressive things, play various flavors of woof and attack. Be prepared to skip a turn to flip your werewoofs--it's not doing nothing, it's making all your creatures ginormous. If the front side is garbage (specifically thinking of Village Ironsmith and the 4 mana 3/2), the backside probably isn't enough to make it a great card, but if it's reasonable on the front, the back is great. Love me some Villagers of Estwald.

G/U/B: I've got GU and BG wrapped up here because they're both about the graveyard synergies. Spider spawning is a thing but honestly, as sweet as that deck is and as much as I love it, I would advise against it. Lots of people want it real bad. But if you just do it for value with things like Gnaw to the Bone or Graveyard Wurm (or even Spider Spawning purely for value, you don't have to combo for it to be good), you're in a good spot.

U/R: BURNING VENGEANCE. This is a sick control deck. Burning Vengeance is a sweet, sweet uncommon, and the more you can trigger it the better this deck is. You'll probably hide behind fortress crabs and burn them out with Vengeance and maybe the 6 mana 4/2 that burns them for two whenever a creature dies. Geistflame is good! Silent Departure is good! Every flashback is a free shock holy wow!

W/R: CRAP.

W/B: Tokens! This deck got a lot better with Dark Ascension with Lingering Souls and the human sacrifice theme, but you still get a sweet anthem and some good token makers here.

Kind of late but BR can be really good if you just go balls deep and chain a ton of Bump in The Nights. One of the funniest drafts I did in triple was RB with 3 bumps and 2 brimstone volleys.

E: Oh yeah and pitchburn devils. Its certainly not the best but it can work.

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Feb 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Kind of late but BR can be really good if you just go balls deep and chain a ton of Bump in The Nights. One of the funniest drafts I did in triple was RB with 3 bumps and 2 brimstone volleys.

If red is so wide open you're getting double brimstone volley, then yeah, RB can work sure.

• Locked thread