Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
I am way less impressed by the 5x5 MX90 than i thought i would be.
I attribute this to the fact that fire support assaults dont work out in pub drops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I attribute this to the fact that fire support assaults dont work out in pub drops.

The Mauler is huge, the torso is super wide and it sticks out like a sore thumb on the battlefield. It is a good mech but yeah, it is hard to use without support from your team.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Alright bought a Timberwolf instead after the feedback. loving :pgi: adding my favorite mech thinking I would actually spend cash on anything but mech bays in this game and then making the mech poo poo.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

TjyvTompa posted:

The Mauler is huge, the torso is super wide and it sticks out like a sore thumb on the battlefield. It is a good mech but yeah, it is hard to use without support from your team.

Also the guns fell very low mounted although theyre higher than most heavy mechs heads.
I was planning to have fun with this ffs!

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Also the guns fell very low mounted although theyre higher than most heavy mechs heads.
I was planning to have fun with this ffs!

Same, I bought 3 maulers straight up to elite them, my first, and only, assault mechs. I noticed pretty quickly that it was going to be a real grind. No other mech has taken me that long to even basic them and so far I haven't even bothered to master one of them.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Jack2142 posted:

Alright bought a Timberwolf instead after the feedback. loving :pgi: adding my favorite mech thinking I would actually spend cash on anything but mech bays in this game and then making the mech poo poo.

I only bought my thrid Timberwolf last week (I'm still more comfortable in a Hellbringer). But the Timber is a VERY good mech. Wether as Brawler, PokeBear or mid-range DPS. The next chassis I'm toying with are: Executioniers. After having some fun with Kodiaks. Though the idea of a MASC using Assault, while also having jump jets appeals to me.

Personally I'd dare say that I do prefer the KDK-2 with 6x MPL, 1x UAC/10 and a 400XL over the KDK-3 with Quad UAC/10s. Does anyone know if a 70/75 ton Mech with ECM/MASC and JJs would be possible (from Mechs in the sourcbooks)?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Jack2142 posted:

Timberwolf is still solid. Not the murderdeathmachine it used to be but its fast and versatile

How do you have yours set up???

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jul 28, 2016

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Yeah the Night Gyr will be "interesting". As in 37.5 tons for weapons interesting. Twin UAC/10s with a side order of UAC/20.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Yeah the Night Gyr will be "interesting". As in 37.5 tons for weapons interesting. Twin UAC/10s with a side order of UAC/20.

Yeah it's going to be the instant go-to for heavy mechs when it comes out, generally speaking.

I imagine the Huntsman will do the same again for mediums since it packs so much pod space.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Tank Boy Ken posted:

DancingShade posted:

Yeah it's going to be the instant go-to for heavy mechs when it comes out, generally speaking.

I imagine the Huntsman will do the same again for mediums since it packs so much pod space.

The fixed slots all over the place are going to be a big problem. For example, all of the fixed slots all over the place mean you can't even fit a UAC20 in a Night Gyr, because there's seven fixed slots in each torso and six fixed slots in each arm. Same with the Huntsman, although it's less important in a medium: six fixed slots per torso, six fixed slots per arm (and that's with the lower arm actuators stripped).

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jul 28, 2016

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Cease to Hope posted:

The fixed slots all over the place are going to be a big problem. For example, all of the fixed slots all over the place mean you can't even fit a UAC20 in a Night Gyr, because there's seven fixed slots in each torso and six fixed slots in each arm. Same with the Huntsman, although it's less important in a medium: six fixed slots per torso, six fixed slots per arm (and that's with the lower arm actuators stripped).

It's only 4 fixed per arm (upper and shoulder), so an UAC/20 fits into the arms. The downside is: The Night Gyr doesn't have access to lower and hand actuators. So you can't do the robofisting thing. And the arms will have be "torso locked". And the crit space available is 29 slots in total (same as any Timber Wolf with both -S RT/LT).

Critspace of the NTG:
LA/RA: 8 each
LT/RT: 5 each
CT: 2
Head: 1
LL/RL: 0

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Also it will be really loving slow due to fixed small engine?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Big engine or loads of pod space, choose one.

The linebacker is available for preorder if you prefer the reverse mech, where it's all the speed and none of the pod space.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Yolomon Wayne posted:

No slower than a marauder, warhammer, or hunchback with their default engines, plus it gets the benefit of 4 jumpjets. It'll be fine for a gunboat style mech.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

DancingShade posted:

Big engine or loads of pod space, choose one.

I dont see why those two exclude each other.
Weight yes, space no.

if we compare it to the timber, what benefits does the Night Gyr have?
Mind you, you guys advised against preordering one.
If it turns out awesome ill be very very mad at you!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I dont see why those two exclude each other.
Weight yes, space no.

if we compare it to the timber, what benefits does the Night Gyr have?
Mind you, you guys advised against preordering one.
If it turns out awesome ill be very very mad at you!

You can just compare the publicly available stats. The Night Gyr has more pod space.
Specifically it has 10 tons more than a Timber Wolf.

Just watch a YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ_bjeGsvhg

People tell you not to preorder mechs because you can wait and get it for c-bills instead of realbucks. If you're patient. The Night Gyr is absolutely going to be the superior chassis though.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I would have gotten another warhorn.
That i now dont have.

Im mad.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

No slower than a marauder, warhammer, or hunchback with their default engines, plus it gets the benefit of 4 jumpjets. It'll be fine for a gunboat style mech.

Who in their right mind runs default engines in those though?

I'm not super concerned about the Gyr being too slow, but the Huntsman on the other hand. It's the same speed as the Nova, which only works because of its low profile and the fact that it's quirked to hell and back. It's even slower than Cents/Forcers/Hunches, which are already not speed demons.

Omnimechs are always going to be a bit too slow or a bit too fast, because they have tabletop engines and most non-Omni builds in MWO use engines somewhere in between full squares of movement in TT terms. Clan XLs mean you'd probably rather overshoot than undershoot, as long as it's not something completely ludicrous like the Linebacker.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jul 28, 2016

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Ah, i see.
Its got 5 slots free in the 2B torso omnipods, that means you cant run 2xuac5 in those.
That sucks, i was already planning out a quad uac5 that uses only 1 torso and an arm.

Still, you can make a Wirbelwind on those.

e: you can run 3xuac5 + 3xuac2 on that thing with the hero/reinforcement pods. Can you actually buy hero pods without buying the hero mech?

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 28, 2016

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Ah, i see.
Its got 5 slots free in the 2B torso omnipods, that means you cant run 2xuac5 in those.
That sucks, i was already planning out a quad uac5 that uses only 1 torso and an arm.

Still, you can make a Wirbelwind on those.

e: you can run 3xuac5 + 3xuac2 on that thing with the hero/reinforcement pods. Can you actually buy hero pods without buying the hero mech?

Of course not. :pgi:

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Ok, so to run 6 ballistics youd have to not only buy the 15$ hero, but the 20$ reinforcements too?

I keep telling myself this game is not p2w, but sometimes i have a hard time believing myself.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Ok, so to run 6 ballistics youd have to not only buy the 15$ hero, but the 20$ reinforcements too?

I keep telling myself this game is not p2w, but sometimes i have a hard time believing myself.

The only way to truly win MWO is not to play.

It's very zen.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
^^^^
This

Yolomon Wayne posted:

The secret to F2P games: Claim to be not P2W - offer good stuff behind a paywall for a certain period of time. So your only PartTimeP2W. PTP2W.
Though once it's available for C-Bills you can do 4x Ballistics. I mean 6x AC/2 is certainly possible, but might not be that efficient. 4x UAC/5 will probably more "sensible".
And every tournament does "ban" non-C-Bill Mechs. So it's not like you're going to have a competitve advantage. I mean some people have argued that the Yen-lo-Wang is a sign for P2W. Especially since :pgi: removed the CN9-AH before the Wang was released. I own a Wang. It's me, I'm the horror.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
MWO is a pay to sidegrade and advance quickly game.

Besides when they very first released clan mechs that were totally pay to win and completely loving broken, the closest thing to a game winner locked behind the paywall has been the kodiak 3. The KDK3 was pretty easily countered and could be beaten by its contemporaries without many problems. It also apparently had some pretty huge benefits from UAC10s not ghost heating properly.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Try this. Blap mans. :siren:MAL-1R:siren:

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Commoners posted:

MWO is a pay to sidegrade and advance quickly game.

Besides when they very first released clan mechs that were totally pay to win and completely loving broken, the closest thing to a game winner locked behind the paywall has been the kodiak 3. The KDK3 was pretty easily countered and could be beaten by its contemporaries without many problems. It also apparently had some pretty huge benefits from UAC10s not ghost heating properly.

Actually the UAC ghost heated more than they should (on double tap). :pgi: just increased the penalty by a factor of 15. Which brought the double tap bug into the light. And yes Clan Mechs were P2W.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Random Number posted:

Try this. Blap mans. :siren:MAL-1R:siren:

Hows the heat?
Do you survive 2 alphas?

Zyphoid
Mar 5, 2015

Yolomon Wayne posted:

It's really, really slow. Especially with the advent of the Kodiaks. It can be a great mech, but you really need a partner or a quad to make it shine. Pair it with an atlas and you can finish everything close range and still use your range for suppressing fire when your squad moves through open spaces.

Zyphoid
Mar 5, 2015

A.o.D. posted:

Agreed. The 10 extra podspace on a heavy takes it from "oh look an NG" to the same feeling as coming around a corner face to face with a KDK3. The speed will be "good enough". It's kinda the direct opposite of the linebacker.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Light mechs on sale.
All of them.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Light mechs on sale.
All of them.

this will be an exercise in predicting which ones will be downsized once PGI realizes no one plays anything but Locusts, Cheetahs, and Oxides anymore

Zyphoid
Mar 5, 2015

Pattonesque posted:

this will be an exercise in predicting which ones will be downsized once PGI realizes no one plays anything but Locusts, Cheetahs, and Oxides anymore

Totally not true! Sometimes people play the Jenner IIC if they don't have an oxide. :gitgud:

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Pattonesque posted:

I call spiders, they are way too small (they arent) and pesky.

e: oh wait, DOWNsized.
Firestarters?

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 28, 2016

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Oh gently caress the Night Gyr is going to be a goddamn nightmare to fight isn't it?

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Artificer posted:

Oh gently caress the Night Gyr is going to be a goddamn nightmare to fight isn't it?

It's probably going to be similar to an Orion-IIC, with maybe better hitboxes, Jump Jets and better hardpoints. So basically yes. Or not.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Metamechs dude thinks the Night Gyr will be very strong, second to the Kodiak in terms of new mechs

http://www.nogutsnogalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=4034.0

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
It will be the direwolf of heavies.

A metric shitload of weapons, but relatively slow.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Cease to Hope posted:

Who in their right mind runs default engines in those though?

I'm not super concerned about the Gyr being too slow, but the Huntsman on the other hand. It's the same speed as the Nova, which only works because of its low profile and the fact that it's quirked to hell and back. It's even slower than Cents/Forcers/Hunches, which are already not speed demons.

Omnimechs are always going to be a bit too slow or a bit too fast, because they have tabletop engines and most non-Omni builds in MWO use engines somewhere in between full squares of movement in TT terms. Clan XLs mean you'd probably rather overshoot than undershoot, as long as it's not something completely ludicrous like the Linebacker.

Marauders do very well with 300 std engines. The 300 is a good engine class in general.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

It will be the direwolf of heavies.

A metric shitload of weapons, but relatively slow.

Potentially better hitboxes too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Someone who got the viper please tell me what build is it that uses 6 small lasers (non-pulse) and nothing else for weapons?
Thats 3 tons of weapons on 40 tons of mech.
Wheres the weight?

• Locked thread