Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

WrenP-Complete posted:

Some scientists respond to Google Memo Man: https://archive.is/z6xxP

what

Please someone help me contextualize this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Discendo Vox posted:

what

Please someone help me contextualize this.

a google engineer wrote a pissy memo about how women don't belong in tech and sent it over company email to trusted friends. it was leaked, he got fired, the internet is freaking out about PC liberalism and censorship run amok

it pops up on page 348 itt

http://gizmodo.com/exclusive-heres-the-full-10-page-anti-diversity-screed-1797564320/amp

e: or are you asking for context on the obscure "free speech magazine that isn't scared of dangerous ideas"

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 8, 2017

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

boner confessor posted:

and the rockefellers, fords, vanderbilts are largely gone. if the best success you can hope for is that your children live lives of idle luxury by trusting their assets to someone more competent, welp

like you don't typically see excellent business skills three or four generations deep, despite it being a teachable skill. look at the trumps
I think we're in violent agreement. Dynasties survive financially, but more rarely does a company remain family-run for generations. Don't overlook that the third generation may simply not care about newspapers/hotels/fabric stores/steel mills. It isn't just about business skills -- although I'd like cites that those are teachable -- it's about interest. Bill Gates came from a wealthy family, but he didn't make his own mark in the family law firm.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
From all I hear, programming anything tends to be a super lovely workplace with everything wrong with other industries turned up to 11 and very poor oversight, wouldn't be surprised if endemic sexism is another aspect of that. Companies want young, compliant, fresh-faced nerds with no personal lives they can burn out and discard for the next generation. Even the biggest tech companies often have horrible internal culture. (Microsoft is apparently still completely hosed from stack ranking's legacy)

And of course it's especially bad in 'startups' that are expected to be 'innovative' and 'disruptive', and thus not obliged to follow rules or common sense. Especially when they can present a vaguely 'progressive' trendy front contrasting stodgy grumpy men in suits.

It's not a problem that's going to be fixed just by firing executives (though that probably helps) or yelling at nerds, the whole culture's a rotten facade for capitalism's ugly mug.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Inescapable Duck posted:

From all I hear, programming anything tends to be a super lovely workplace with everything wrong with other industries turned up to 11 and very poor oversight, wouldn't be surprised if endemic sexism is another aspect of that. Companies want young, compliant, fresh-faced nerds with no personal lives they can burn out and discard for the next generation. Even the biggest tech companies often have horrible internal culture. (Microsoft is apparently still completely hosed from stack ranking's legacy)

And of course it's especially bad in 'startups' that are expected to be 'innovative' and 'disruptive', and thus not obliged to follow rules or common sense. Especially when they can present a vaguely 'progressive' trendy front contrasting stodgy grumpy men in suits.

It's not a problem that's going to be fixed just by firing executives (though that probably helps) or yelling at nerds, the whole culture's a rotten facade for capitalism's ugly mug.

So to be clear this screed is based entirely on "all you've heard" and no actual personal experience at all ?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Inescapable Duck posted:

What a bizarre opinion. I can't speak to sexism, or racism really, but working as a coder for Big Tech has been pretty awesome for me. Work hours are normal in size and extremely flexible, coworkers are smart, pay is amazing. Google's culture is particularly great, I love that there's an internal meme site that frequently lambasts executive decisions, how many companies permit open mockery on company resources like that?

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

jre posted:

So to be clear this screed is based entirely on "all you've heard" and no actual personal experience at all ?

Cicero posted:

What a bizarre opinion. I can't speak to sexism, or racism really, but working as a coder for Big Tech has been pretty awesome for me. Work hours are normal in size and extremely flexible, coworkers are smart, pay is amazing. Google's culture is particularly great, I love that there's an internal meme site that frequently lambasts executive decisions, how many companies permit open mockery on company resources like that?

You guys, I just posted a while back a bunch of links talking about how gross and hostile the tech industry is, including with the Big Guys. Did you just ignore all the stuff coming out this year regarding sexual harassment?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

boner confessor posted:

a google engineer wrote a pissy memo about how women don't belong in tech and sent it over company email to trusted friends. it was leaked, he got fired, the internet is freaking out about PC liberalism and censorship run amok

it pops up on page 348 itt

http://gizmodo.com/exclusive-heres-the-full-10-page-anti-diversity-screed-1797564320/amp

e: or are you asking for context on the obscure "free speech magazine that isn't scared of dangerous ideas"

Yeah, the latter. When I have more time I'll dig into the science being asserted in the article and post it in the pseudoscience thread. Me and the other usual suspects are all too busy/stressed to do so atm. I'd be grateful if someone could give a rundown on this "Quillette" and its founder in the meantime.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 8, 2017

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Shirec posted:

You guys, I just posted a while back a bunch of links talking about how gross and hostile the tech industry is, including with the Big Guys. Did you just ignore all the stuff coming out this year regarding sexual harassment?

So yes, you're just parroting third hand hearsay

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Shirec posted:

Did you not notice how I said I couldn't speak to sexism? The person I was replying to was saying dumb crap about big tech companies' culture far beyond sexist or racist hostility.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
IMHO the fireable offense is writing a thesis that goes from research that says "women are on average less interested in CS" to arguing a case based on "the women who are interested in CS are less capable"

It's not just sexist, it's bad statistical practice.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Buffer posted:

Do boot camps normally cover CS math fundamentals?

"CS math fundamentals" is a pretty broad subject area. Boot camps will certainly cover logical branching statements, but they're not likely to go De Morgan's law. Linear algebra and number theory is right out.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

jre posted:

So yes, you're just parroting third hand hearsay

I am talking about actual studies and interviews that were done on why people leave the tech industry. And I currently work in more of a finance role, but I work with other women who have told me some skeezy rear end poo poo that has happened to them. I've been lucky in that regard, but I trust what my friends have told me.

Just gonna quote from the actual survey so you see it http://www.kaporcenter.org/tech-leavers/

quote:

Nearly 40% of employees surveyed indicated that unfairness or mistreatment played a major role in their decision to leave their company, and underrepresented men were most likely to leave due to unfairness.
1 in 10 women experienced unwanted sexual attention, while LGBT employees were most likely to be bullied and/or experience public humiliation.
78% of employees reported experiencing some form of unfair behavior or treatment; Women from all backgrounds experienced/observed significantly more unfairness than men and unfairness was more pronounced in tech companies than non-tech companies.
Underrepresented men and women of color experienced stereotyping at twice the rate of White and Asian men and women; 30% of underrepresented women of color were passed over for promotion.
Experiencing and observing unfairness was a significant predictor of leaving due to unfairness, and the more bullying experienced, the shorter the length of time that employees remained at their previous company.

Cicero posted:

Did you not notice how I said I couldn't speak to sexism? The person I was replying to was saying dumb crap about big tech companies' culture far beyond sexist or racist hostility.

Apologies then, but you can't really divorce culture from those things either

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Klyith posted:

IMHO the fireable offense is writing a thesis that goes from research that says "women are on average less interested in CS" to arguing a case based on "the women who are interested in CS are less capable"

It's not just sexist, it's bad statistical practice.

This is why I'm finding that quillette article so bizzare.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
isn't quillette supposed to be jacobin for libertarians

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It will drat well improve the lives of women at Google who don't like hearing their coworkers agree that they are biologically unfit to do their jobs.

e: Dudebro's previous claim to fame: applying for lab assistant jobs while refusing to assist in the lab. No, really.

http://twitter.com/swagitda_/status/894308181618429953

I dont want to defend this guy but this is the correct thing to do. Too many undergrads are just trying to get in a lab so they can toss it on their resume and PIs have wised up to this. Now (good) professors will start asking about what your scientific contributions were to the group you worked for if you're interviewing for a graduate spot.

Lab chores are everyone's responsibility not just some undergrads.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What makes CS more hostile to people than like, pure math?

Women major in math to become math teachers. Count the number of female math grad students instead.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

boner confessor posted:

and the rockefellers, fords, vanderbilts are largely gone. if the best success you can hope for is that your children live lives of idle luxury by trusting their assets to someone more competent, welp

like you don't typically see excellent business skills three or four generations deep, despite it being a teachable skill. look at the trumps

If you inherit a billion dollars you don't need business skills, you can pay someone to do that for you and spend your energy on vanity projects like producing documentaries on wealth inequality and the 1%

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmlX3fLQrEc

All those families you listed have tons of rich as poo poo descendants kicking around. The Rockefeller family voted recently to divest their fossil fuel assets because as they said in their joint statement it was immoral in light of climate change, lol.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Squalid posted:

If you inherit a billion dollars you don't need business skills, you can pay someone to do that for you and spend your energy on vanity projects like producing documentaries on wealth inequality and the 1%

All those families you listed have tons of rich as poo poo descendants kicking around. The Rockefeller family voted recently to divest their fossil fuel assets because as they said in their joint statement it was immoral in light of climate change, lol.

my point is they're not really doing anything or have any actual power anymore aside from giving chunks of their dividends to charity and participating in rich elite social events that nobody cares about. like the rockefellers aren't really making any news anymore unlike gates, musk, bezos, thiel etc. the most visible face of business oriented billionaires is in silicon valley. there's no david rockefeller IV out there making waves in the tech world. the most famous vanderbilt today is anderson cooper, the carnegies are all but gone, and the rockefellers just sort of sit around in idle luxury. meanwhile the richest families in america today are the walton, koch, and mars families - all 20th century, and likely to be eclipsed in the next century. it's just difficult to have tycoons raising tycoons, and it seems there's a natural impulse for children who grow up in unimaginable wealth, even if they are well adjusted, to turn to pursuits other than business - likely because the demands of business make you a lovely parent

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

sarehu posted:

Women major in math to become math teachers. Count the number of female math grad students instead.

Oh, I didn't know you posted here, Mr. Damore.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Irradiation posted:

I dont want to defend this guy but this is the correct thing to do. Too many undergrads are just trying to get in a lab so they can toss it on their resume and PIs have wised up to this. Now (good) professors will start asking about what your scientific contributions were to the group you worked for if you're interviewing for a graduate spot.

He literally said he didn't want to do /any/ chores though. That's different to 'don't make me just do chores'.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
My experience with bootcamps and CS industry is there is a huge gulf of between beginner and professional skill that is almost impossible to quantify. So you end with absolute beginners going to mixers and code groups with people that write fortune 500 apps. It is really hard to break into it without connections. I've seen it over and over. Some guy working 60 hours a week doesn't have time to show a new person the ropes and I don't blame them. But it makes the community really difficult to contribute to. CS tends to breed a weeder culture than discourages many people. Usually, young white male is the only connection devs have with others and the few atypical people are stretched thin.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
The guy's a bit bad at seeing how others would read his writing, yes.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Irradiation posted:

Lab chores are everyone's responsibility, but that doesn't include the graduate who is applying for a laboratory assistant job? As far as we can tell from the article, he wasn't willing to do lab chores at all.
e:f,b

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

boner confessor posted:

the carnegies are all but gone,
Andrew Carnegie is the guy who said "The man who dies rich, dies disgraced." His only child spent her life running the Carnegie Trust, the philanthropic organization Carnegie himself set up. The Carnegies aren't "all but gone", they just put most of the money into charity.

e: see here.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Inescapable Duck posted:

I've been a programmer for 20 years and ive generally enjoyed it? I can't speak to sexism either I guess but you are seriously reaching here in the general case.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Andrew Carnegie is the guy who said "The man who dies rich, dies disgraced." His only child spent her life running the Carnegie Trust, the philanthropic organization Carnegie himself set up. The Carnegies aren't "all but gone", they just put most of the money into charity.

and i think that's a great thing! i'm just saying there's royal families and other noble dynasties that go back centuries or millennia and, even though capitalism as we recognize it is only a few hundred years old, it's my opinion that business dynasties tend to flame out and collapse much quicker

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

boner confessor posted:

and i think that's a great thing! i'm just saying there's royal families and other noble dynasties that go back centuries or millennia and, even though capitalism as we recognize it is only a few hundred years old, it's my opinion that business dynasties tend to flame out and collapse much quicker

Royal families change more often than you might think actually. There's a reason the Plantagenets, Tudors and Stuarts have different last names.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Yeah, the latter. When I have more time I'll dig into the science being asserted in the article and post it in the pseudoscience thread. Me and the other usual suspects are all too busy/stressed to do so atm. I'd be grateful if someone could give a rundown on this "Quillette" and its founder in the meantime.

I posted the response in the pseudoscience thread this morning, but way too busy to do a point-by-point analysis right now.

Evil Robot posted:

Who are these scientists? They seem fairly supportive of James Damore.

Sorry, I don't have any information on them that isn't in that link.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

boner confessor posted:

Royal heirs are raised from birth with "this is your God-given job" in a way that is hard for most business dynasties to duplicate. (Maybe the Waltons will do it; I dunno.) It is also true that most European dynasties, at least, have switched hats many times. The connection between the last Plantagenets and the first Tudor is way tenuous (which is why Henrys VII and VIII spent a lot of effort on killing the remaining Plantagenets) and the connection between the last Stuarts and the first Hanovers can barely be said to exist. The first Hanoverian king didn't even speak English.

e:f,b AGAIN.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Royal heirs are raised from birth with "this is your God-given job" in a way that is hard for most business dynasties to duplicate. (Maybe the Waltons will do it; I dunno.) It is also true that most European dynasties, at least, have switched hats many times. The connection between the last Plantagenets and the first Tudor is way tenuous (which is why Henrys VII and VIII spent a lot of effort on killing the remaining Plantagenets) and the connection between the last Stuarts and the first Hanovers can barely be said to exist. The first Hanoverian king didn't even speak English.

otoh the japanese emperor goes back into the very mists of the dawn of time itself (allegedly) and they just had to change the law allowing the emperor to abdicate because he doesn't want to emperor anymore

the fact that it's easier to raise someone to be a figurehead rather than a captain of industry speaks to the longevity of these dynasties versus those with a more business oriented mindset. especially when you can appeal to a person to take on the mantle of hundreds of years of tradition, which is easier than appealing to them to take on the burden of adding further billions to the family's already fat portfolio

like despite the french monarchy being abolished centuries ago there's still a louis XX head of the house of bourbon kicking around (and he's a stud too)

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

I was an usher at the Goldman awards (the Goldman in Goldman-Sachs) in 2015 at the San Fran opera house. it was extremely lol worthy when they gave the prize to Berta Caceres, an anti-dam activist from Honduras, and she stood up to declare her win a blow against predatory capitalism and step towards the triumph of socialism, right there in front of all those smiling banking magnates. It was less lol worthy when she was murdered the next year by right wing paramilitaries.

That was a really weird scene, very San Fran. There were slick guys in tuxes mingling with buff dudes in tight shorts and high-top sneakers and hippy chicks looking like they just got back from six months of backpacking in Bhutan. When you're that rich though rules like dress codes rarely mean anything, at least not in the Bay Area.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Youre welcome! :sun:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Sure is interesting how all of the people who say "I haven't had major problems in programming" also say "I can't speak to sexism".

Did any of you saying that poo poo even stop to think why that matters?

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Evil Robot posted:

Who are these scientists? They seem fairly supportive of James Damore.

Well for starters, this is from the Wiki entry on the main guy, Lee Jussim, which he absolutely wrote himself.

quote:

His early work in social psychology began as a doctoral student at the University of Michigan where he collaborated with Lerita Coleman (assistant professor) on data from two lab studies that conflicted with the popularly endorsed concept of self-fulfilling prophecy and racist hiring practices of White employers.[citation needed] Their data indicated that students’ self-concept is not shaped by teacher feedback and that White employers evaluate African-American job applicants more favorably than White applicants.[citation needed] These results were unpopular in the academic sphere but he did not see this reception as reason to abandon them.[citation needed] On the contrary, it motivated him to stand by his findings as a matter of principle.[citation needed]

He focused his dissertation on the well-researched area of teacher expectancies and was encouraged to conduct observations in the real world instead of the laboratory. The data he generated did not conform to popular opinion at the time that supported the pervasive effect of teacher expectancies. It suggested that teacher expectations did not have a significant effect on student performance and that teachers’ expectations predicted student achievement because they were accurate. He graduated with a doctorate in social psychology in 1987 and assumed a teaching position at Rutgers University that same year.

Today, Jussim continues to go against the grain. He acknowledges the influence of D.A. Carson's book Intolerance of Tolerance on his perspective. Among many other things, he runs the Social Perception Lab at Rutgers University, Livingston Campus. The lab studies how people perceive, think about, and judge others. He is a leader in the fields of person perception, stereotype accuracy and bias and has been integral in the initiative for viewpoint diversity which advocates to correct the inaccuracies in the field of social psychology research. In support of the latter, he helped start the website hertodoxacademy.org[sic], a collection of academics pushing for improvements in their academic fields. Dr. Jussim also runs Rabble Rouser, a blog that identifies errors in social psychology research and practice, suggests ways to improve it and discusses societal implications.[6]

He has published and spoken extensively on scientific integrity and distortions in science motivated by politics, stereotype accuracy, prejudice, bias, self-fulfilling prophecy, and social constructionism.

Bolding mine. Basically his work seems to boil down to "racism doesn't exist because stereotypes are true and accurate," "you should tolerate my intolerance," and "actually it's about ethics in game journalism scientific research."

aware of dog fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 8, 2017

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

aware of dog posted:

Well for starters, this is from the Wiki entry on the main guy, Lee Jussim, which he absolutely wrote himself.

Bolding mine. Basically his work seems to boil down to "racism doesn't exist because stereotypes are true and accurate," "you should tolerate my intolerance," and "actually it's about ethics in game journalism scientific research."

Thank you! I quoted you in the other thread too!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

fishmech posted:

Sure is interesting how all of the people who say "I haven't had major problems in programming" also say "I can't speak to sexism".

Did any of you saying that poo poo even stop to think why that matters?

The original statement, by a non programmer, was that programming uniquely sucked in all ways, including but not limited to sexism. When it comes to the parts I can speak to from my own experience, I can say this is untrue.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

boner confessor posted:

like despite the french monarchy being abolished centuries ago there's still a louis XX head of the house of bourbon kicking around (and he's a stud too)
There are three different Pretenders to the French throne. There are Legitimists, Orléanists, and even Bonapartists. Similarly, Spain had a massive set of 19th-century civil wars over who was the real heir to their throne. And for much (most?) of the history of Japan, the Emperor was a puppet who reigned but did not rule. See Wikipedia: ":There have been six non-imperial families who have controlled Japanese emperors: the Soga (530s–645), the Fujiwara (850s–1070), the Taira (1159-1180s), the Minamoto (and Kamakura bakufu) (1192–1333), the Ashikaga (1336–1565), and the Tokugawa (1603–1867). However, every shogun from the Minamoto, Ashikaga, and Tokugawa families had to be officially recognized by the Emperors, who were still the source of sovereignty, although they could not exercise their powers independently from the Shogunate."

Point being, the longevity of a royal title does not equate to the longevity of the flow of power. There is (almost always, not counting the Interregnum) a King/Queen of England/Britain; that doesn't mean there's an uninterrupted passage of power from one generation to the next. There are backskips where King A is succeeded by his fourth cousin, or King Y actually dies in combat.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
yes that is how dynasties work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

There are backskips where King A is succeeded by his fourth cousin, or King Y actually dies in combat.

Names of things can mislead.The kind of king who could die in combat probably has more in common with the kind of capitalist who could go bankrupt than either's inheritor.