Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pentaro posted:

A particularly powerful gorilla.

Donkey Kong 94 is apparently pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Love that Fingerporri.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

hellyeah

Somebody has a new favorite as of 05:39 on Sep 7, 2019

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

By popular demand posted:

Love that Fingerporri.

IDGI Is the joke that he was using a knife as a phone?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Yes, the statement would usually be read as "He called you, before he was stabbed with your knife" but could be seen as "He called you with your knife, before he was stabbed".

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Slimy Hog posted:

IDGI Is the joke that he was using a knife as a phone?

Based on this, you really do not want to try to understand the "vuokralainen on lukkiutunut huoneeseensa".

EDIT:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Der Kyhe posted:

Based on this, you really do not want to try to understand the "vuokralainen on lukkiutunut huoneeseensa".

EDIT:

I'm responsible for the air duct.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

I'm responsible for the air duct.

You're the type of comedian who buys viperless milk.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Der Kyhe posted:

EDIT:

I unironically want you to try to explain this, I don’t care that it won’t be funny

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

World War Mammories posted:

I unironically want you to try to explain this, I don’t care that it won’t be funny

There's got to be some Finnish wordplay that isn't translating. That's the only possible explanation.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

To become locked [in] and to become like unto a daddy longlegs are both lukkiutua. The former from the noun lukko "lock" and the latter from the word lukki "Opiliones". It's not 100% cromulent as to lock oneself [in] would rather be lukittautua, not lukkiutua but it works.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

To become locked [in] and to become like unto a daddy longlegs are both lukkiutua. The former from the noun lukko "lock" and the latter from the word lukki "Opiliones". It's not 100% cromulent as to lock oneself [in] would rather be lukittautua, not lukkiutua but it works.

Yes, lukittautui would be the perfect grammar but lukkiutui is something most people would say since it would not matter in the context and most regional dialects are more or less just different ways to streamline the language which by itself is very vanhakantainen.

Basically Lukko = lock, Lukki = Opiliones, or more commonly a archaic word for arachnid, and what Jerry Cotton said.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

How even can you have a word that means "become like unto a daddy long legs?" That is next level.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

How even can you have a word that means "become like unto a daddy long legs?" That is next level.

Agglutination, dude!

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Same way "kyytön maito" can be "viperless milk" or "milk from a certain type of cows (Itäsuomenkarja)".

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

daddy long legs own.

do you, non-spider arachnid

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

finnish isn't a real language and is just an elaborate joke that the finns have thought up to confuse everyone else

if you listen to a group of finns talking when they think no one else can hear them they just speak hungarian

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I love Finnish, the great thing about it is that it's so different from any language I'm familiar with that I haven't the slightest idea whether facts like that are 100% true or made up on the spot.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

cock hero flux posted:

finnish isn't a real language and is just an elaborate joke that the finns have thought up to confuse everyone else

Vittuilemattomuus kannattaisi.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

I love Finnish, the great thing about it is that it's so different from any language I'm familiar with that I haven't the slightest idea whether facts like that are 100% true or made up on the spot.

My personal favorite, being native to the language, is that mutsiis, can be both "anyhow" and "into your mother". It takes some grammatical liberties but what in Finnish doesn't. :D

Mutsiis, aloitetaan. == "Anyhow, lets start."
Työnnä se vaikka takaisin mutsiis. == "Why don't you push it back into your mother."

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Der Kyhe posted:

My personal favorite, being native to the language, is that mutsiis, can be both "anyhow" and "into your mother". It takes some grammatical liberties but what in Finnish doesn't. :D

Mutsiis, aloitetaan. == "Anyhow, lets start."
Työnnä se vaikka takaisin mutsiis. == "Why don't you push it back into your mother."

:haw:

I was fortunate enough to stay in Helsinki for a while as a student, I loved it but never had time to learn more than some words for basic greetings/shopping/etc, but I figured there'd be a lot of traps like that if I were to learn it conversationally.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

You've never seen someone get spiderized?

Dude, have you even lived

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

I read the whole thing and second this recommendation, it's great

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

verbing weirds language

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Martian posted:

Is it done yet?

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Slimy Hog posted:

Is it done yet?

nope, and it ends as the story appears to be reaching its climax.

I also enjoyed this, and I have filed away the link to re-examine in a year or so in hopes that it will be complete.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Martian posted:

"Are you by chance a gun for hire?"
"No, I'm a gun for a higher calling."

That's a really good line!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

What's with the shaded eyeballs

Looks weird as gently caress

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
His eyes are half-full

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The dream police, they're inside of my head.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

What kind of weirdo dreams about pastries?

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

you do that enough times you just become an active dreamer

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Insects don't have red blood.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ChubbyChecker posted:

Insects don't have red blood.

Some do but not in their circulatory system. (Or whatever.)

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

World War Mammories posted:

Finns are just weird in general:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7RP6JqZgQ8

yes I know the discussion's been over a while but I want to post that video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

a good comic