Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Suggestions for keeping two cats chill for a longish drive (2 hours or so)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Anyone have experience with vestibular disease? I'm kinda shaken up so I figured I'd share and get some input. I just got back from the emergency vet after a pretty shocking morning. My 6-year-old basset/lab mix and I got up, I took my shower and got ready to take him for his walk. Threw a ball a few times, he fetched it well... then suddenly he was unable to climb stairs and had a strange sideways gait. He was having trouble standing, wouldn't eat and was clearly nauseous.

So off to the emergency vet I went. After watching him try to pee on a tree and losing balance multiple times, the vet felt all over and came up with a diagnosis of neurological ataxia. She said his symptoms were most consistent with marijuana toxicity (not possible, I've been around him constantly and don't smoke or have marijuana in the house), but she really wasn't sure. Told me to take him home and watch him for the evening, and I'll take him to my normal vet tomorrow. He's drinking well, but hopefully he eats something before then.

Pretty terrifying stuff. One second he's fine, the next he's walking into a bush and pressing himself further and further in because he can't figure out how to turn right instead of left. Apparently most cases resolve themselves fairly quickly. I'm seeing a lot of people reporting similar symptoms with a more-or-less complete recovery in a week's time.

e: added bolding on the vet stuff just so no one thought I was an idiot who didn't seek medical help first :v:

TheGame fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 7, 2014

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

The big thing about vestibular disease is that it can be hard to know what caused it in the first place. Once you have an idea what caused it, you can have an idea of recovery times or need for future care or diagnostics.

It takes very little marijuana to get a dog symptomatic - someone could've dropped something at the park you were playing at. I have seen many cases of pot tox, and many people telling me adamantly there was nothing the dog could've gotten. Inevitably, they get better in 24 hours or so (longer if they had a lot) and that's that. That decision is partly based on local area - certain areas in California are hot spots of pot, which means more pets get into it (whether the client smokes or not).

Your regular vet can discuss with you the things that they suspect based on history and current signs - not trying to be unhelpful, but vestibular disease can be caused by...
- ingesting something (like marijuana)
- nasty ear infection
- stroke-like event
- unknown thing
- brain problems (cancer, swellings, etc.)
- ???

... and all of these things carry different prognoses, treatments, etc. Some things resolve on their own, some don't. I would wait for further information before trying to come to a conclusion just yet. As it sounds like he can still walk that is great - when they cannot stand up and they're constantly rolling is terrible.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Thanks for the tips! He's still wobbly this morning, but he's eating again and isn't falling over. The vet just took his bloodwork, and given that he's improving rapidly the prognosis looks good. Most of the symptoms lined up with vestibular disease, but one weird one got the vet interested-- he can still run. He saw a dog coming down the block and decided to sprint over to see it. Balance looked normal. When he tried to come back, he flopped over and had to slowly crawl back. It's like he still understands the running motion but completely forgot how to walk. He's calling a neurologist friend of his at no charge because he thought that would be interesting to him.

Anyway, he seems to be getting better every hour!

TheGame fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 7, 2014

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

That is definitely good to hear.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
Cat ripped out one of her back claws in a fight the night before last. It bled significantly when she came back in but we put styptic powder on it and she's meandering around as always now. The foot does smell unpleasantly sharp, sort of like a scrape does when you change out a band-aid. Is this a sign of it healing up or does it sound more like an infection? Should I put hydrogen peroxide or a bandage or something on it?

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Alopex posted:

Cat ripped out one of her back claws in a fight the night before last. It bled significantly when she came back in but we put styptic powder on it and she's meandering around as always now. The foot does smell unpleasantly sharp, sort of like a scrape does when you change out a band-aid. Is this a sign of it healing up or does it sound more like an infection? Should I put hydrogen peroxide or a bandage or something on it?

No peroxide, no bandage. You can clean it with warm water. Signs of infection, which would warrant a vet visit, include swelling or redness of the toe, increasing pain, and any kind of discharge/fluid/pus from the nailbed. A systemic infection seems unlikely, but any loss of appetite, lethargy, or increased hiding behavior could be caused by a fever and would also mean you should take her to the vet.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Can anyone give me pointers about how to go about getting a psychiatric service dog? My google fu is weak and all I can find is for veterans with PTSD. I'm not a vet, but I do have PTSD and my psychologist suggested looking into a service dog, but didn't actually know where to point me. Advice?

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Sociopastry posted:

Can anyone give me pointers about how to go about getting a psychiatric service dog? My google fu is weak and all I can find is for veterans with PTSD. I'm not a vet, but I do have PTSD and my psychologist suggested looking into a service dog, but didn't actually know where to point me. Advice?

http://www.canines4hope.com/post-traumatic-stress-disorder-dogs-ptsd-dog-training-florida.htm

http://usdogregistry.org/information/information-on-service-dogs/
http://usdogregistry.org/information/information-on-emotional-support-dogs/
http://usdogregistry.org/faqs/

You can buy a dog that's already trained (very expensive) or get a puppy and raise it to be a service dog or adopt a good candidate dog and hope it's trainable as a service dog by yourself (luck/gamble/hard work) or someone else/service/trainer (expensive)

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

In my experience, people who use service dogs are very willing to chat about their experiences, etc online. This may be a good resource: http://servicedogcentral.org/forum/ but I don't have any personal experience with it.

As pizzadog mentioned, you can train a current dog, raise a puppy or purchase one. There is no regulatory body in most areas and my impression is that it's sort of hit/miss when it comes to purchasing service dogs -- especially PSDs -- and can be very expensive.

My suggestion is to make a list of things which you would want/need the dog to do for you. That'll be your starting point when looking at possible candidates. PSDs certainly help many people who suffer from disabilities, but they are not a cure-all. They're a huge responsibility, their training can be lengthy and it's not uncommon for prospects to wash out due to physical or temperamental limitations.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Thanks for the info, duders. Seriously helpful. I think I'll go the adopt/train route. Honestly it wouldn't have even occurred to me if my therapist hadn't said that she thought it'd benefit me.

an expert
Jul 18, 2011

a life less posted:

In my experience, people who use service dogs are very willing to chat about their experiences, etc online. This may be a good resource: http://servicedogcentral.org/forum/ but I don't have any personal experience with it.

As pizzadog mentioned, you can train a current dog, raise a puppy or purchase one. There is no regulatory body in most areas and my impression is that it's sort of hit/miss when it comes to purchasing service dogs -- especially PSDs -- and can be very expensive.

My suggestion is to make a list of things which you would want/need the dog to do for you. That'll be your starting point when looking at possible candidates. PSDs certainly help many people who suffer from disabilities, but they are not a cure-all. They're a huge responsibility, their training can be lengthy and it's not uncommon for prospects to wash out due to physical or temperamental limitations.

This is a hella good post. I have a service dog for PTSD. He was pulled from a shelter, had started copying the rescuer's PSD's tasks, and seemed to meet all my physical requirements, so I took a chance and flew him across the country to me. I got extremely, ridiculously lucky and he's pretty much perfect for me.

Despite having done it myself, I'd strongly caution you to stick to adopting a dog you can see in person. Fostering-to-adopt through a good rescue might be even better, because then you would have a better idea of how the dog reacted to your stress signals in the actual environment you'll be living in. It's important to remember that while a service dog may start out as a pet, the vast, vast majority of pets do not make good service dogs so even if you find a dog you love, it might not be cut out for it and you'd need to rehome it. For PSDs, especially PTSD service dogs, they need to be super smart and in tune with their owner- a dog that can make it's own decisions based on what you've taught it and how you are acting, rather than quick obedience. I'm having trouble articulating this so I'll provide an example: I've had someone unhook Otis's leash and try to send him away while I was disassociating (which, for me, outwardly manifests as extreme agreeableness and obedience). So even though he was off leash and I was telling him to go away, he recognized that it wasn't appropriate for him to leave me, so he did the correct thing and barked at the guy and kept getting between us until I was able to get him back on lead, then he lead me to a bus stop since he knows those are safe places. If he'd simply been like "Oh, Boss says go away so yay I'm going to go sniff a thing!" who knows what would've happened. This is why PSDs are often breeds that people wouldn't usually recognize as being a service dog, border collies, poodles, and smart mutts, instead of german shepherds or labs.

You'll want to find a trainer, too. I managed to make due mostly on my own but with goons as support, primarily because I bugged them about every little thing and had spent years researching and reading and did a ton of planning about what I could practice and what I would need help with and all that. This isn't something you can overthink, imo. After over a year of working together, I'm still refining both mine and Otis's skills.

First step: Figure out what you need in the dog (big dog or small dog? long fur, short fur? fur texture?) and what you need it to do (things that you can't safely do for yourself, this is a good list to help you pin down things)
Second step: Figure out where to look (petfinder, google local rescues, google local breeders of breeds that meet your physical requirements, local pound.) Contact them, tell them what you're looking for. If they aren't poo poo, then even if they don't have something, they'll keep an eye out for an animal coming in that meets your needs, or point you to other resources.
Second-and-a-half step: Figure out training (talk to local trainers, research online and in books, practice click+reward, etc)

Imma stop here because this post is already hella long and honestly the above will probably take you at least a couple months. I was prepping for about 6 months before I got him, iirc. Feel free to PM me with specific questions or for advice and stuff, though fair warning that part of my challenges are memory-related, so if I don't reply within a week just send me a second and be like "dude check your pms" and I will be like "oh oops my bad"

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
I haven't seen anything about posting advice for moving pets, so here's a long question for you all:

My girlfriend and I are moving from Phoenix, AZ to Pittsburgh, PA in August. She / we have a ~50lb Chinese Shar-Pei / Pitbull (we think, we're not positive) mix. I am using an assisted corporate move which will reimburse me up to $600 to move her. That's all well and good, until you consider the fact that we are moving from Phoenix.

Most airlines will not take snub-nosed dogs when the temperature is over 75 degrees (F), and the ones that will refuse to take any animals when the temperature is over 85. Even in the dead of night in Phoenix, the temperature barely drops below that (it's 84 tonight, for example, and it's both cloudy and rainy).

We both ran Google searches to find both flight and driving options to get her to Pittsburgh, with mixed results. Most airlines will ship her for $300 to $400, but then we run into the temperature problem. "Full service" pet flyers will do it for about $800, but then we don't know if we still run into the temperature issue. We got one quote back from a place that will drive her, but for $1,000.

Does anybody know of safer (and preferably cheaper) methods to get her to Pittsburgh in the summer?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

My god, the story of Duke's last day thing floating around Buzzfeed :cry:

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Hey guys, anybody know anything about taking care of a very young squirrel? We found three baby squirrels on our lawn today, their nest having fallen out of the tree due to a bad storm. Normally we would try to return them to their parents but two of them were already dead and covered in bugs when we found them so we suspect the parents are gone. The last one is a couple days old tops, he has no fur and basically looks like a big fat jellybean. He doesn't appear to have any bugs and is currently nestled safely in towels, in a box on top of a heating pad. We also got him some pedialyte and some puppy milk replacer mix.

We've actually raised squirrels before (we found some after their mother got hit by a car) but they weren't nearly this young. If anybody has any suggestions, it'd be really helpful.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

CuwiKhons posted:

Hey guys, anybody know anything about taking care of a very young squirrel? We found three baby squirrels on our lawn today, their nest having fallen out of the tree due to a bad storm. Normally we would try to return them to their parents but two of them were already dead and covered in bugs when we found them so we suspect the parents are gone. The last one is a couple days old tops, he has no fur and basically looks like a big fat jellybean. He doesn't appear to have any bugs and is currently nestled safely in towels, in a box on top of a heating pad. We also got him some pedialyte and some puppy milk replacer mix.

We've actually raised squirrels before (we found some after their mother got hit by a car) but they weren't nearly this young. If anybody has any suggestions, it'd be really helpful.

Do you have any wildlife rehab centers in the area? I'd look to take them in if you do. If not, keep them warm and a mixture of pedialite and Gatorade should be good (I would ask the net for the ratio, but this is what we gave baby squirrels when I did rehab).

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
This is something I've been struggling with lately, but how do you guys deal when your good friends simply do not care for their pets besides the basics of food, water, shelter? My friend has three young cats and despite their scabs from scratching and the fleas that actually crawled on me the last time I visited, she just won't buy flea prevention. I mention it and she agrees but does nothing. I tell her about vaccinations and parasites and testing for FIV/FeLV. Still, nothing. She has two females and one male and when I tell her about spaying/neutering, she just says she'll do a low-cost clinic when they're older.

Her last cat recently disappeared. She lives in the country and it was indoor/outdoor so we're thinking a coyote got it. Does she keep her new cats indoors only? Nope.

I really have been wanting to hang out with her less and less because of her cats. It's just irritating that she can't care for them properly. And these are young, healthy cats that require very little. It just pisses me off that they have fleas for no reason but she's lazy and cheap. Does anyone have experience in friends like this?

I don't even have pets because I can't afford to properly care for one, this poo poo just makes me crazy.

IdeoPhanthus
Oct 22, 2004

I find it a little crazy that the fleas apparently don't bother her at all. Maybe you should bring it up in a way that frames it as something that should bother her and does bother guests in her home, if she won't do it for the sake of the cats.

If I was good friends with someone like that, I'd just be blunt about the whole thing. If not, then I'd probably be put off to the point where I visit less and less (honestly, who would want to visit someone knowing they'd have fleas bugging them). I'm sure eventually I'd just stop spending time with them altogether. If they can't bother to be responsible for cats they took on, and keep ignoring or excusing suggestions, they would probably be someone I wouldn't naturally gravitate towards for long anyway.

What does she plan to do if she doesn't get them fixed before they start to mature. Then she could be dealing with cats in heat and spraying all over the house, and litters of more kittens she can't/won't care for. Maybe she is one of those people who doesn't see the bigger picture at all, and needs it repeatedly spelled out for her.

IdeoPhanthus fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jul 18, 2014

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

IdeoPhanthus posted:

I find it a little crazy that the fleas apparently don't bother her at all. Maybe you should bring it up in a way that frames it as something that should bother her and does bother guests in her home, if she won't do it for the sake of the cats.

If I was good friends with someone like that, I'd just be blunt about the whole thing. If not, then I'd probably be put off to the point where I visit less and less (honestly, who would want to visit someone knowing they'd have fleas bugging them). I'm sure eventually I'd just stop spending time with them altogether. If they can't bother to be responsible for cats they took on, and keep ignoring or excusing suggestions, they would probably be someone I wouldn't naturally gravitate towards for long anyway.

What does she plan to do if she doesn't get them fixed before they start to mature. Then she could be dealing with cats in heat and spraying all over the house, and litters of more kittens she can't/won't care for. Maybe she is one of those people who doesn't see the bigger picture at all, and needs it repeatedly spelled out for her.

All these problems will be solved by simply never letting the cats inside again and it won't be her problem.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

empty sea posted:

This is something I've been struggling with lately, but how do you guys deal when your good friends simply do not care for their pets besides the basics of food, water, shelter? My friend has three young cats and despite their scabs from scratching and the fleas that actually crawled on me the last time I visited, she just won't buy flea prevention. I mention it and she agrees but does nothing. I tell her about vaccinations and parasites and testing for FIV/FeLV. Still, nothing. She has two females and one male and when I tell her about spaying/neutering, she just says she'll do a low-cost clinic when they're older.

Her last cat recently disappeared. She lives in the country and it was indoor/outdoor so we're thinking a coyote got it. Does she keep her new cats indoors only? Nope.

I really have been wanting to hang out with her less and less because of her cats. It's just irritating that she can't care for them properly. And these are young, healthy cats that require very little. It just pisses me off that they have fleas for no reason but she's lazy and cheap. Does anyone have experience in friends like this?

I don't even have pets because I can't afford to properly care for one, this poo poo just makes me crazy.

If the fleas aren't gross enough for her, you can try pointing out that cats infested with fleas end up with tapeworms and soread tapeworm eggs all over the place.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

At the end of the day, you can't make someone else care about something.

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
I have an almost four year old great dane who sometimes gets in our bed in the morning. Recently we discovered a rather large (in diameter) ring of liquid had soaked into the bed from where she lays. I do not recall her licking excessively (she sometimes does this in the summer -- I have been told it is likely allergy related) so I am assuming she drooled it out or she has some fluid draining from her anus or vagina.

The ring exhibits the 'coffee ring' effect where the outer edge has a concentration of color -- yellowish in this case.

She had a yeast infection in her ear about two years ago and it has recently returned. We are treating her for it.

She is spayed. The smell is awful but not the sickly sweet smell I tend to associate with anal gland discharge.

Anyway she was in our bed this morning for ~ 1 hour and I have discovered another liquid patch which I am cleaning up -- what could this be (yeast infection?) and should I take her to the vet?

The volume of liquid isn't that big of a deal, but it is difficult to clean and I have a foam mattress... (so any tips on this would be appreciated as well).

Thanks.

Here is a picture of her sitting on her favorite near-the-dinner-table chair.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
Could be urinary incontinence, which is something she should see a vet for. They may want to test for a UTI or other urinary condition, and if that all comes back negative, try her on incontinence meds.

Panzer Attack
Mar 9, 2013

girl, take it easy
I've had my ex-puppy farm dog since February and she's going really well except for some (to be expected) seperation anxiety. The only part of it that bothers me is that she barks when I go out sometimes, and I live in an apartment so my old neighbour complained a couple of times. I mentioned this to a FB friend who has a dog who is similar and asked if a barking collar would be a good idea. She ripped into me and (I'm guessing) told the rescue group on me, as the co-ordinator called me today.

Long story short, she wants me to give my dog back. She thinks going to a vet behaviourist is a bad idea, medicating is a bad idea, going to a trainer is a bad idea, barking collars are a bad idea, hiring a pet sitter is a bad idea, crating is bad etc because puppy farm dogs are so far removed from every other dog ever that nothing works except the rescue group taking her back and fixing her themselves (how? I don't know cos she wouldn't tell me anything that WOULD loving work). I was on the phone with her for almost an hour (she made me cry FFS) and offered no solution except "giving" her back even though I'm a "fantastic owner who has done nothing wrong".

What the actual gently caress. Can they even do this. She's in my name, microchipped to me etc so legally I'm thinking they can't take her, especially since I've paid for her. All I want is for her to be happy when I've gone away. I love this little dog (and my other one!) with all my heart, they come to work with me every day and she's come soooo far and is so happy and confident compared to how she was, her hair's all grown back, her diet is sorted out, she's nice and lean so hopefully her heart murmur (grade 4 which rescue vet didn't pick up?) doesn't bother her for a long time to come.

Honestly as someone who has worked with dogs for a long time she's just a dog with a bit of anxiety problem who has had a poo poo life. She's booked in with a vet behaviourist on Tuesday but the rescue lady wants me to call her back with my decision (which I guess is to say yes they can take her) tomorrow. :( Help me goons. She used to be SO much worse but I mean this poo poo doesn't just magically go away, right?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
They almost certainly can't legally force you to hand your dog over, no. Can't really offer any advice wrt barking I'm afraid. Good luck!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Ugh some rescues/rescue ladies are insane, especially it seems the little dog ones. Whether they can make you give her back depends on what contract you signed at the adoption. Some contracts are very strict and basically say they can take the dog back at any time no matter what. Some lay out things that can cause them to come confiscate the dog. I'm not a lawyer so I can't say how legally binding they are but I imagine it would take some work to defend yourself or get the dog back even if the contracts don't hold water in court. If you didn't sign any contract like that the dog is yours to do what you want.

No matter what, don't let these people bully you into giving up the dog because you have done nothing wrong. Asking about options to help keep you and your dogs in your home is not a crime! A vet behaviorist is always a good idea and will give you the resources you need to continue to help with the SA. No anxiety gets magically better overnight but I know lots of dogs with SA that can now be left alone safely without fear of enraging neighbors with help from a vet behaviorist and in some cases meds. It sounds like you're willing to put in the effort (and have been working hard!) so don't feel like you NEED to give her up for her to ever get better.

Edit:
Also gently caress your "friend" who tattled on you, wtf is up with that?

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta
Take a look at your copy of the adoption contract that you signed and see what it says about their ability to recover the dog.

Panzer Attack
Mar 9, 2013

girl, take it easy
Thank you everyone! I've had a look at the contract, which is just a completed exchange of ownership form and some "now you have your new dog" information. It says if I have a problem to ask the rescue for help, and if my circumstances ever change not to hesitate to give the dog back. That's it. So there's absolutely nothing legally binding in there. What a relief! :)

The FB friend (not a real friend) has a dog who has had SA for a number of years and has gotten worse over time, which is why I asked her if she thought something she hadn't tried would help. She went on a massive tirade about how she'd rather rehome her dog rather than put a barking collar on it and that if her dog isn't happy for her to leave, her or her partner will stay home and that's it. This woman works from home and has a support network in her partner, I work in a salon and live alone, as well as being single so basically in her eyes I should be housebound, which is totally normal and would not at all contribute to the anxiety getting worse.

I'll keep the behaviourist appointment since she's going to be doing Pen's normal checkup (she needs her heart checked every few months) and it can't hurt to get some information. Rescue lady seems to think she's going to be put on drugs and that it will break her little brain. Through vet nursing and grooming I've met a bunch of dogs (and cats) on anti-anxiety meds and in most cases it seemed to have helped a lot, but what would a vet know!

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Does anyone have any experience with dogs with panosteitis? Vecna got diagnosed with it about a year ago (confirmed via x-rays) and it's still giving him hell. I just had his blood work done and he's okay to continue taking Rovera but while it helps, he still limps really badly some days and I can tell he's still in a lot of pain. Is there anything a pain PRN I can ask my vet about next time we get his meds refilled? Supplements? Anything? The vets said not to be terribly shocked if this continues all the way into adulthood because his case is pretty severe but I hate to think about another year of my bud in constant pain :(

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Triangulum posted:

Does anyone have any experience with dogs with panosteitis? Vecna got diagnosed with it about a year ago (confirmed via x-rays) and it's still giving him hell. I just had his blood work done and he's okay to continue taking Rovera but while it helps, he still limps really badly some days and I can tell he's still in a lot of pain. Is there anything a pain PRN I can ask my vet about next time we get his meds refilled? Supplements? Anything? The vets said not to be terribly shocked if this continues all the way into adulthood because his case is pretty severe but I hate to think about another year of my bud in constant pain :(
When you say it's still giving him hell, I assume you mean he still has waxing and waning pain that shifts from leg to leg like classic panosteitis. If he is having long-term pain/lameness in a particular limb, or anything else that doesn't seem typical for panosteitis, I would re-radiograph and make sure there isn't something else going on. Similarly, if he was diagnosed with pano on x-rays of only a front leg, and he's lame sometimes in the rear now (or vice versa), I'd go ahead and get x-rays of his hips and knees if that hasn't been done before. It's totally possible that this is all panosteitis, but with a GSD, especially one that's active to the degree Vecna is, I think you need to be sure you've ruled out other orthopedic problems.

As for your actual question, there are lots of other drugs to try. Different NSAIDs (like the Rovera) work better in some dogs than others, just like different NSAIDs work better for some people than others, so if the Rovera doesn't help much, ask your vet about trying a different NSAID. A lot of vets only have one or two NSAIDs on their shelves because of the overhead, but there are several worth trying that you should be able to get a prescription for (to fill online or at a human pharmacy). There are also opiate pain meds like tramadol, and neuropathic pain meds like gabapentin. All three types of drugs can be used together, too. I'd definintely ask about tramadol to combine with the Rovera or another NSAID for when he's limping. I don't think supplements or diet are going to do much of anything unfortunately.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
It's pretty much only his left front leg. It does wax and wane and for a while it went away entirely and I thought he might be over it but it came back a few months ago and seems to be hurting him a lot more than it did before. We've had multiple sets of x-rays done on on his legs, hips, and elbows and gotten a second (and third) opinion on his x-rays from an orthopedic vet and they all agree it's an unusual case of pano. He has minor arthritis in one hip joint but the orthopedic vets agreed that it wasn't causing the lameness and that in all likelihood it wouldn't bother him until he was a senior if that and gave us the okay to continue doing sports with him. Regardless, I've pulled him out of bitework, stick to tracking and swimming as his primary form of exercise, and am considering retiring him from Schutzhund.

I'll ask about tramadol when I pick up his refills this week, thanks

pomme
May 8, 2013
I have a six year old shepherd mix. In general, he is in good health and I've never had to take him to the vet outside of vaccines. Two days ago I gave him a raw cow bone. He munched on it for a bit, and I took it away. It's still mostly intact (no large pieces missing.) I'm not sure what it was, maybe just the sheer size, but something upset his stomach. Yesterday I took him out to poo at about 9am. I was gone from 11am-6pm. When I came home there was two piles of about 75% solid, 25% liquid poops. He hasn't pooped in the house in years so obviously the bone I fed him didn't agree with his stomach. Anyway, last night no poops past that (which is normal) and bathroom breaks were also normal. This morning unfortunately, he pooped some blood. His poop was mostly solid but there was about half a teaspoon of fresh (not coagulated) blood. There is no wounds around his anus itself, so I'm sure its internal.

Obviously I'm concerned about this. Theres a 24 hour emergency vet one block from my home. I think for now I will watch him closely, and in 3-4 hours take him back outside to see if I can prompt a second poop. Besides the poo issues, he is in great shape and has been his happy, high-energy self. No lethargy or anything. Does anyone strongly disagree with waiting a few hours?

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
I've called my vet about that exact same thing with my GSDs and he told me to feed chicken and rice for a couple days and see if works itself out. If there was marrow in the bone the richness might have given him some digestive upset, shepherds are notorious for having sensitive stomachs. Cow bones in general are pretty hard even for a big dog so there's a decent chance some of it got passed and could have scraped him up a bit coming out. IANAV but you're probably fine to wait a while to see if it improves on it's own (if it gets worse you obviously wanna take him in though)

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
Hey so we've had a dog for several months who we got from the shelter who has been remarkably free of behavior issues, but who developed a habit of licking when she was stuck in a concrete box for 2ish years. She doesn't give herself hotspots and seems to just be what she does when she's on her own (she'll lick for 10 minutes or so when we go to bed, for instance, and is licking her paw right now), and it makes her smell bad really fast. We bathe her and take her to the groomer pretty reasonably often, but she ends up smelling like her own rear end kind of startlingly quickly afterwards, and last time we were shopping for food I noticed a lot of doggie breath freshener type things.

Does any of that stuff work? Does anyone have any experience with anything like the treats vs the water treatment? Is there a better way to get her to stop smelling bad so fast? She doesn't eat anything but Taste of the Wild and occasionally fresh fruit when we're feeling indulgent.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Are you sure it's her breath? Does she tend to lick only certain areas or does it seem random? Do the licked areas look really red and irritated all the time? It could well be just a self-soothing habit, or it could be allergies.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Skizzles posted:

Are you sure it's her breath? Does she tend to lick only certain areas or does it seem random? Do the licked areas look really red and irritated all the time? It could well be just a self-soothing habit, or it could be allergies.

She isn't causing irritation, she used to have a few hotspots when she was still at the shelter, but now she just licks her front paws or her knee if she's curled up, and we only bathe her with hypoallergenic stuff. We're pretty sure it's the licking because she'll occasionally hit a blanket or chair collaterally and the spots are always terribly stinky. It's possible it's just her habit of licking her butt after she goes and then spreads it around, and we really just wonder if there's a countermeasure to that.

The habit is likely a toned done version of what she did when she was bored 24 hours a day, and isn't destructive in itself.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
My parents' dog licks her feet incessantly when she's having an allergy attack. It might be worth getting the dog some doggy claritin or at least talking to the vet.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
I'm looking into adopting a pit/corgi mix puppy (6 months) from someone on Craigslist. Can anyone offer any advice on red flags I should watch for, behaviour wise (in the dog or the owner)?

Also, does anyone have experience with this particular mix?

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Coldforge posted:

I'm looking into adopting a pit/corgi mix puppy (6 months) from someone on Craigslist. Can anyone offer any advice on red flags I should watch for, behaviour wise (in the dog or the owner)?

Also, does anyone have experience with this particular mix?

Those are two difficult breeds. My guess is that worst case scenario you may have a high energy, high-alert, barky, dog aggressive dog. It's possible that this dog will be awesome (sounds like a fun mix too) but when getting a dog I always advise to plan for the worst. Would you be able to deal with dog aggression when/if it arises when the dog hits maturity?

General red flags would be dog aggression now, shyness/anxiety, refusal of food, human aggression, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

a life less posted:

Those are two difficult breeds. My guess is that worst case scenario you may have a high energy, high-alert, barky, dog aggressive dog. It's possible that this dog will be awesome (sounds like a fun mix too) but when getting a dog I always advise to plan for the worst. Would you be able to deal with dog aggression when/if it arises when the dog hits maturity?

General red flags would be dog aggression now, shyness/anxiety, refusal of food, human aggression, etc.

Thanks for the tips. He was a bit too much pit bull terrier in his size (low slung, but hugely muscular), and I had to pass on him. Cute dog, though.