Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
and the score is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

all that stuff, plus Harry Lime is one of the great villains/antiheroes in modern fiction. also, one of cinema's best closing shots.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Good film textbooks? For like, critical stuff

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hat Thoughts posted:

The Five Cs of Cinematography by Joseph Mascelli
Dan O'Bannon's guide to Screenplay Structure

i hear good things about Making Movies by Sidney Lumet as well.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Hat Thoughts posted:

Could you be more specific? Textbook as in a giant hardcover you use in a classroom? Do you mind it being dry or academic? Narrative film, documentary, experimental? Making film vs. watching film?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Did anyone else catch the Dune (1984!) reference in The Big Short? I think Vennett says, "His face is growing boils like the bad guy from Dune" in reference to Steve Carrell's character who is getting increasingly angry. It would've been funny, but I was left wondering if I had heard that right because you don't expect to hear a reference to a widely panned and largely forgotten scifi movie from 30 years ago in a major theatrical release. But hey, cool.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I think Dune is awesome and not forgotten, but I grew up in a house where my parents would go "he IS the kwisatz haderach !" like that little kid at the end every time I'd do something precocious.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Dune is enough of a cult film that references pop up from time to time.

("I WILL KILL HIM!" was especially popular on MST3K)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Maybe his name is a killing word.

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SubG posted:

Branagh's Hamlet didn't really get a wide theatrical release. Like The Hateful Eight (2015) has already been shown on more screens than Hamlet got in its entire theatrical run.

That same Hamlet was one of the last major releases shot on 70mm, just like The Hateful Eight as well!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Dune is enough of a cult film that references pop up from time to time.

("I WILL KILL HIM!" was especially popular on MST3K)

It sticks with you. Not a lot of people may have seen it but they remember it. They remember all of it jiggling as it flies.

tigerdriver82
Jun 15, 2009

Yo, you best
~Protect Your Neck~
Ah yeah, again and again!
This has been bugging me for years and years.

When I was a kid, late eighties, we had copy of The Terminator on video, it had been taped from...somewhere, I don't know. I watched it literally all the time. Now, I vividly remember that during the end when the Terminator is getting crushed in the hydraulic press the it starts to glitch out and repeats "I'll be back" over and over again. I remember this because I used go around repeating over and over again like the Terminator because I love that movie and I was a little kid and kids do stupid poo poo like that, plus I watched it all the time.
There were other scenes as well but they have been included on DVD releases or other people confirming that they remember the scenes I saw.

Does anybody else remember the Terminator repeating "I'll be back" while getting crushed?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

tigerdriver82 posted:

Does anybody else remember the Terminator repeating "I'll be back" while getting crushed?

He says that right before he's drives a car through the police station front door.

You might just be remembering the millions of people going around saying I'LL BE BACK after seeing the movie.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

tigerdriver82 posted:

This has been bugging me for years and years.

When I was a kid, late eighties, we had copy of The Terminator on video, it had been taped from...somewhere, I don't know. I watched it literally all the time. Now, I vividly remember that during the end when the Terminator is getting crushed in the hydraulic press the it starts to glitch out and repeats "I'll be back" over and over again. I remember this because I used go around repeating over and over again like the Terminator because I love that movie and I was a little kid and kids do stupid poo poo like that, plus I watched it all the time.
There were other scenes as well but they have been included on DVD releases or other people confirming that they remember the scenes I saw.

Either you're misremembering or you had a weird modified VHS, because what you're describing wasn't shot. I don't even think the exoskeleton model could open its mouth. Plus I doubt they knew how popular "I'll be back" would be once released.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I had a version of Terminator taped off of TV, so it was edited. No boobs, swearing, etc. So, I missed out on the great "gently caress You rear end in a top hat." line until much much later. Also, the end had a weird edit to the end where Sarah uses the hydraulic press where the line is "You're terminated, fucker" <beat> *hydraulic press noise* and it instead sped up to go "You're Terminated*hydraulic press noise*"

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Hockles posted:

I had a version of Terminator taped off of TV, so it was edited. No boobs, swearing, etc. So, I missed out on the great "gently caress You rear end in a top hat." line until much much later. Also, the end had a weird edit to the end where Sarah uses the hydraulic press where the line is "You're terminated, fucker" <beat> *hydraulic press noise* and it instead sped up to go "You're Terminated*hydraulic press noise*"
TV edits usually only alter dialog to remove swearing or cut gore as you mention; very rarely they may add some filmed scenes that were cut out of the movie for whatever reason. Adding in something completely new like the "I'll be back" loop would be very weird.

I watched taped TV versions of Aliens & T2 so much that a lot of the quirks of the edits I saw are burned into my memory. The chase scene at the end of rescuing Sarah from the mental institution just isn't the same without a scrolling list of snow school delays at the bottom of the screen.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

david_a posted:

TV edits usually only alter dialog to remove swearing or cut gore as you mention; very rarely they may add some filmed scenes that were cut out of the movie for whatever reason.
My favourite example of this is the TV edit of Re-Animator (1985), which includes about 20 minutes of material not in the theatrical version, including an entire subplot involving West being addicted to the reagent.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

SubG posted:

My favourite example of this is the TV edit of Re-Animator (1985), which includes about 20 minutes of material not in the theatrical version, including an entire subplot involving West being addicted to the reagent.

I saw a looooong cut of David Lynch's Dune one night/early morning on some UHF station.

Nothing I haven't seen now but it put the VHS copy to shame. Must have been 4 hours with commercials.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I like how in the TV edit of Total Recall "Get your rear end to Mars!" becomes "Get yourself to Mars!"

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Does anything really beat "Yipee Ki-Yay, Melon Farmer"?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Slowhanded posted:

Mister Falcon.

Melon Farmer is from something else

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Slowhanded posted:

I like "get yourself to mars" because it's a still a good sentence that makes perfect sense.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Slowhanded posted:

"This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!"

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Hockles posted:

Mister Falcon.

Goodfellas

What are you still doin here I thought I told you to go farm a melon

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

syscall girl posted:

I saw a looooong cut of David Lynch's Dune one night/early morning on some UHF station.

Nothing I haven't seen now but it put the VHS copy to shame. Must have been 4 hours with commercials.

Yeah, that's the Alan Smithee cut which adds in a long opening where the movie gives a ton of exposition explaining the setting.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, that's the Alan Smithee cut which adds in a long opening where the movie gives a ton of exposition explaining the setting.
it also has lot of cut scenes, or longer shots, many of which really help the film breathe. Of course they didn't do effects like the blue eyes for those shots either, and the timing looks different, but watching it on VHS/NTSC this didn't hurt much.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Hockles posted:

Mister Falcon.

Zeus refers to McClane as a "racist melon farmer" in Die Hard 3.

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

Which version of The Big Gundown should I watch? 95 minute English language version, or 110 minute Italian one?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
In Room, near the end when Jack points to Ma's shirt and she says "There's nothing left, sorry" what did she mean by that?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

less laughter posted:

In Room, near the end when Jack points to Ma's shirt and she says "There's nothing left, sorry" what did she mean by that?

I assumed breast milk

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Ah, that explains it, thanks!

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I just watched Oblivion. Is it just me or does that movie kind of have a lot of imagery of a man leaving his wife for someone else? The idyllic home life of Jack, Victoria saying "We are an effective team" repeatedly to the mission's 'mother', Jack leaving the base for Julia over Victoria's protests, Jack being locked out of his house when he returns with Julia and Victoria admitting that they are no longer an effective team.

I can see them using it to evoke the right emotions as the movie develops, but at some points it felt like I was watching a science fiction movie about an apocalyptic future straight out of a book, and then I was watching a movie about a man leaving his wife (in terms of what it felt like). It felt like two movies in one somehow. What were they trying to go for with that?

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SubG posted:

Used to be that when movies aired on TV, they'd get a whole lot of extra material added. Made the airing special compared to the theatrical release (and this was often before the proliferation of home video). The first couple of Superman movies got a whole lot of deleted scenes re-inserted, and they aired almost like miniseries. Plus there's The Godfather Saga, or whatever it was called, which not only put in cut scenes but also re-ordered the whole thing to be in chronological order. That aired on TV but never got a home video release, I think.

morestuff posted:

I assumed breast milk

Apparently in the books there's more allusions to Joy breastfeeding Jack in the room, even when he's far outgrown it. Something to do with getting him nutrients he's otherwise missing, as well as lactation providing a natural birth control which she needs whilst still captive...just in case the story wasn't harrowing enough!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

tenniseveryone posted:

Plus there's The Godfather Saga, or whatever it was called, which not only put in cut scenes but also re-ordered the whole thing to be in chronological order. That aired on TV but never got a home video release, I think.

Funnily enough HBO just got the rights to that, it's up on GO.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

tenniseveryone posted:

Plus there's The Godfather Saga, or whatever it was called, which not only put in cut scenes but also re-ordered the whole thing to be in chronological order. That aired on TV but never got a home video release, I think.
There was a made-for-television cut that presented the material from the first two films `chronologically' and included a bunch of material not in the theatrical releases, and then there was a home video release that included the chronological ordering of the scenes but which lacked most (all?) of the additional content. There was also a revised version after the third film was released. I'm sure there's a wiki somewhere that will enumerate the differences in rather more detail than anyone actually cares about.

As morestuff says, HBO has apparently made the 7 1/2 hour version with the additional content available. I don't recommend it unless you've really got a completionist itch you need scratched.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I'm still waiting for Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair to get an actual release. It exists and Tarantino has done some screenings of it but that's it.

Also the DVD for Scarface had a feature about the making of the TV version and it makes you appreciate how much work goes into editing something down like that. Even if (or maybe because of) it leads to hilarious substitutions like "this town is a chicken, just waiting to be plucked" and "how'd you get that scar, eating pineapple?"

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Am I the only person who thinks that Kill Bill is almost certainly better in two parts than it would be as one long one?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Snak posted:

Am I the only person who thinks that Kill Bill is almost certainly better in two parts than it would be as one long one?
I dunno its kind of hard to see the long version to judge.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Snak posted:

I think a single ~3 hour version has the potential to be better than 2 slow 2-hour movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Should I watch the Lord of the Rings movies? It took me two tries to get through 30 minutes of the first one because I was insanely bored and had to turn it off. Is this a common complaint or are these movies just not for me?