Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I stored my first bike at a (riding) friend's house because I didn't have a good place to park it. He wanted to take it for a spin and since it was a used beater (EX 500) I didn't care. I was going out on it and asked him "how's the gas?" He told me it was fine. 2 miles down the road, it sputtered and died. He was with me on the ride and I'm like, "Gas is fine, huh?" Flipped it to reserve, went to the gas station and fueled it.

Once I saw a guy pushing a Harley FLTJG(HEAVY) down the side of the highway. Had to stop; he was completely out. An older gent; I think he would've given himself a heart attack trying to push it up the onramp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
When it's over 90 with mesh gear, as long as you're moving it's enough to dry the sweat. As soon as you stop anywhere you're done for though.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

I've got a mesh jacket, jeans with kevlar panels, alpine stars mesh shorty gloves and a helmet that vents OK (wanna get an Icon Variant though, I hear they vent really well). Summertime is the best time. I have to admit though, I'm a skinny guy who loves the heat.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

M42 posted:

Incidentally, how the hell do you VA/DC/MD people ride in full gear in the summer?

Learn to enjoy your Everglade-status pits and crack.

Bead seats help immensely with evacuating rear end moisture, but you're going to be fighting a losing battle with the humidity and they're really only effective while in motion.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Underarmor is a godsend.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
In a small, previously shown to have mental bureaucrats, part of Indonesia... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-20896966

Story highlights posted:

A city in the Indonesian province of Aceh which follows Sharia has ordered female passengers not to straddle motorbikes behind male drivers...Under the new regulation, the mayor says that women passengers are only allowed to sit "side-saddle" because straddling the bike seat violates Islamic values.

"When you see a woman straddle, she looks like a man. But if she sits side-saddle, she looks like a woman," Suaidi said. He added that passengers who sat side-saddle rarely fell off.

"How to ride a motorbike is not regulated in Sharia. There is no mention of it in the Koran or Hadiths"

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
What if she's on a step-through scooter?

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Wootcannon posted:

In a small, previously shown to have mental bureaucrats, part of Indonesia... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-20896966

Side saddle on 3rd world roads.

Sure, that could never end poorly.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Side saddle on 3rd world roads.

Sure, that could never end poorly.

Imagine I just posted like 20 pictures of West Asian bikes with like whole families hanging off them as semi-ironic proof that people make do

M42 posted:

Incidentally, how the hell do you VA/DC/MD people ride in full gear in the summer? I can barely take DC summers with shorts and a tshirt. Also, how do you not die from psychotic drivers? I've lived in Boston + NYC, and DC drivers are worse than those two combined.

Ride early morning / late evening / night. Depending on where you work you'll see people hanging around till 7p or later just to avoid the Beltline parking lot anyway. Rack up the overtime. If you're close enough to the city (as applicable), use public transit for basic commuting. You also get used to the heat fairly quick and during the summer business attire tends to skew towards golf clothes anyway.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Mesh is the best way I've found to deal with the heat, drink often and have a job where you're going to get sweaty anyway, so no one gives any fucks about your funk since they're in the same boat.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Wootcannon posted:

"How to ride a motorbike is not regulated in Sharia. There is no mention of it in the Koran or Hadiths"

And hear ye, my children, also the vision which I saw. Do ye thereforth, my children, observe the commandments of the Lord, and honour Levi and Judah; Also, chicks need to ride motorcycles side-saddle.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Went to the SuperShow in Toronto this afternoon. Much like a music store, it's not a good idea to leave me alone at a motorcycle show. Without any friends or family to question my actions, I bought a disc lock, brake pads, heated gloves, heated vest, waterproof pants, two pairs of sunglasses and an arai helmet. :v:

epswing fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 6, 2013

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Well, Arai does make really nice helmets. No regrets for splurging on my RXQ.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah, I really regret not having an Arai head because they do make some sweet-rear end helmets

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Wootcannon posted:

That's actually already semi-normal in Southeast Asia, even the non-Muslim countries.

edit: women choosing to ride side-saddle, not laws forcing women to do so.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Pompous Rhombus posted:

That's actually already semi-normal in Southeast Asia, even the non-Muslim countries.

edit: women choosing to ride side-saddle, not laws forcing women to do so.

Yep, that's how they do it in Thailand. I thought it was a little mental but whatever.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
It's embarrassing having to go "yes, I took a right turn when I shouldn't, the damage to the taxi is entirely my fault" to the insurers, but I figure probably safer doing that than arguing the toss, should the damage I saw to the other vehicle mysteriously increase in their claim. And y'know, it was.

Wootcannon fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jan 7, 2013

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Why does philips still exist? Even flathead is pretty dumb. Why isn't every screw robertson by now?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

epalm posted:

Why does philips still exist? Even flathead is pretty dumb. Why isn't every screw robertson by now?

Robertson >>>> Philips > Flat

At least Philips automatically centers, and cams out when you overtorque. Flat head screws don't center the screwdriver and are just terrible.

e: My girlfriend called me a dork when I noticed that the new coffee place used Robertson drive screws for their bar, and then went on for a few minutes about the advantages of Robertson drive screws.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
I can't say I've ever seen a robertson on a bike before? Plenty of hex/allen screws though.

The first thing I do when I get a new bike is spend $50 on a SS kit from this guy or other vendor depending on model of bike. It covers 90% of the bike with a replacement polished stainless rust free fasteners and he only uses allen screws or hex head bolts. I just keep the bag in the garage and replace them as I go, but if you wanted you certainly could make a project out of purposely replacing every fastener on your bike with non Phillips screws.

You ever work out a partially stripped Phillips only to put it back in place when you're done and regret the hell out of that later? I have, and I'm not the type to stop mid-task and chase down a replacement fastener... having a bag like that around prevents me from doing dumb things like that again and is well worth it.

Halo_4am fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 7, 2013

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Winter unemployment means plenty of time for reading. Went to the library yesterday:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hey Illinois riders, sit down and keep both wheels on the ground: http://www.bikebandit.com/community/articles/new-illinois-wheelie-law?WT.mc_id=2204300#.UOr7aXdPNvI

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

While I don't have ape hangers that go past my head, or pop wheelies on my cruiser, I think the severity of this law is kind of insane. Six months in jail for the second offense? The article even says that people who text and drive don't have to spend time in jail, and that was proven to be as dangerous as drunk driving. I also don't like the part in here that says you have to have both hands on the handlebars while it is moving. If I'm riding down to visit my parents I'll sometimes take my left hand off the handlebar to move it around and get some blood flowing in it.

I guess this means goodbye to the wave :smith:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

One of two things will happen with the two hands thing. Either they will never enforce it and it wont matter, or they will enforce it constantly and quickly find out that its crazy and back off. Taking at least one hand off the bars is par for the course in motorcycle riding, and if this was given any sort of sanity check by an actual rider, they would have found that out.

Both hands off the bars, I can see, there really isn't much need for that.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

One of two things will happen with the two hands thing. Either they will never enforce it and it wont matter, or they will enforce it constantly and quickly find out that its crazy and back off. Taking at least one hand off the bars is par for the course in motorcycle riding, and if this was given any sort of sanity check by an actual rider, they would have found that out.

Both hands off the bars, I can see, there really isn't much need for that.

The law prohibits "no-hands" riding and says you must keep at least one hand on the bars at all times while in motion.

The wave is safe.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Illinois SB 3452 posted:

A person operating a motorcycle shall ride only upon the permanent and regular seat attached thereto

I ride standing a lot, I guess I'm staying out of Illinois.

Riding on a temporary saddle cover is ticketable?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
Seems like an aftermarket seat is also technically illegal, too.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
Riding standing and riding with 1 hand on the bars are both acceptable. The law is targeting riding on pegs and other stunting stuff. It does appear it might also target the fender covers/temporary seats, but those are typically for pillions and they're not riding on that while also operating the bike so they can't be targeted by it. You can, but from the way the law reads it's more for riding with a passenger standing on pegs or sitting on a bare fender.

Just watch a youtube stunt vid and look at the 18 page law. It's pretty much describing a typical stunt routine and saying 'any of this poo poo on public streets and kiss $1000 goodbye.' Jail time is pretty harsh, but I'm reasonable sure it's just there for the 10th offense sort of guy. Illinois prisons are beyond capacity, and even repeat drunk drivers are not often held to the prison clauses because there's simply no room. You'll have to be doing something in this law and get somebody seriously hurt to have a judge even consider it.

Illinois bikers got the right to blow red stop lights after a reasonable amount of time last year. This year we get this. Maybe next year we'll get cheaper tolls or god willing a lane splitting law.

Halo_4am fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 7, 2013

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Does anyone really expect someone stunting on city streets to stop for the cops in the first place?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

Does anyone really expect someone stunting on city streets to stop for the cops in the first place?

Maybe the 2nd + offenses are so high because of the improbability of actually getting caught.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

No, but the cops will meet up with stunters at the hospital after the EMTs give them a heads up.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Wow. Riding standing up is almost a requirement. Heck the MSF tells you to stand up to go over big bumps. How are they going to reconcile that?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
No one is ever going to get cited for just standing on the pegs so don't worry. It's a stupid law that's already covered by reckless driving so they're just sending stunters a message.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Whoops, sorry dudes, definitely did not read that correctly. I'm guessing I saw the can't take one wheel off the ground and can't have both hands off the handlebars and somehow read it as can't take one wheel off the ground and can't have one hand off the handlbars.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

epalm posted:

to be fair, most "phillips" heads on Japanese bikes are actually JIS screws.
JIS are awesome but not so much when you try to use a phillips driver on them.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

epalm posted:

Well, it existed in the first place because it used to be pretty hard to limit torque at the driver, so limiting torque at the screw (by camming out) made sense. Robertson got screwed (har) by the first people he licensed his patent out to, so he got pissy and clamped down on it and they never became really popular outside of Canada, despite being superior in every way to Philips.

Going beyond the patent issue, I don't have any idea why people still use philips when far better things like allen (which was invented to solve exactly the same problems as Robertson without infringing on his patent) and Torx exist. I know that socket hex heads are marginally harder to make than Philips heads, though, so I suppose the 1/3 cent you save on each screw adds up enough to make it worth pissing off shadetree mechanics everywhere.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Does robertson screws have any significant advantage over hex or torx screws, except ease of manufacture?

I'm personally a big fan of torx, largely because it neatly sidesteps the whole ISO/ANSI issue by disconnecting torx sizes from real world measurements.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

Does robertson screws have any significant advantage over hex or torx screws, except ease of manufacture?

I'm personally a big fan of torx, largely because it neatly sidesteps the whole ISO/ANSI issue by disconnecting torx sizes from real world measurements.

Robertson screws are shaped, if I recall correctly, such that they hang on the screw driver unless a little bit of force is applied.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Collateral Damage posted:

They're theoretically capable of applying more torque than a hex key without stripping (though assuming a proper match between driver and head it's kind of moot), and because of the tapered design the drivers are much more interchangeable than hex. I don't think Robertson has any advantage over torx beyond being cheaper to make, no. I like torx.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

I like torx.

Every third bolt on my Jeep was torx. I hate torx.