Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

euphronius posted:

Part of what you are buying when you buy an attorney is access to power.

A 2L could write the motions.

Truth.

In my small corner, anyone can perform the technical work with an hour of instruction. But I'm nice to the judge's secretaries and they accept my stuff nearly sight-unseen, whereas they toss everyone else into the burning pit, cackling with delight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

woozle wuzzle posted:

Truth.

In my small corner, anyone can perform the technical work with an hour of instruction. But I'm nice to the judge's secretaries and they accept my stuff nearly sight-unseen, whereas they toss everyone else into the burning pit, cackling with delight.

Getting to know, and being friendly with the clerks and court coordinators has the highest rate of return on any social capital expended in litigation.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
What sort of requirements need to be fulfilled to obtain a restraining order against a non family member?

My wife quit a job after a co worker and her, who were friends, had a falling out.

Recently this girl has been sending emails of audio recordings from the previous job to her new employers, pretty clearly in an effort to get her fired.

I have evidence of this, there's also been some vandalizing to cars but I can't prove anything.

Is there anything I can do to stop this girl?

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

RaoulDuke12 posted:

:zaeed:

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

RaoulDuke12 posted:

What sort of requirements need to be fulfilled to obtain a restraining order against a non family member?

My wife quit a job after a co worker and her, who were friends, had a falling out.

Recently this girl has been sending emails of audio recordings from the previous job to her new employers, pretty clearly in an effort to get her fired.

I have evidence of this, there's also been some vandalizing to cars but I can't prove anything.

We can't answer this question without knowing what state you're in.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

RaoulDuke12 posted:

1) If her conduct rises to the level of criminality, then you should call the police. If you're not sure, don't do it. Filing a false police report can get you in a ton of trouble.

2) I don't know much about family/criminal restraining orders, but I understand that they are generally reserved for domestic issues and cases where you are asking the court to order the person to stay away from yourself. Someone else in this thread can answer better than I.

3) If you came to my office and said "a former, disgruntled employee is trying to cause 3rd parties to breach their contracts with me" then I would tell you that you may have a civil cause of action, and access to an injunction against the bad actor. This is very expensive.

4) Unless the girl is disclosing private facts, or false information, your wife may have quite an uphill battle to stop the conduct.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

quote:

We can't answer this question without knowing what state you're in.

Oops, sorry. California.

blarzgh posted:

1) If her conduct rises to the level of criminality, then you should call the police. If you're not sure, don't do it. Filing a false police report can get you in a ton of trouble.

2) I don't know much about family/criminal restraining orders, but I understand that they are generally reserved for domestic issues and cases where you are asking the court to order the person to stay away from yourself. Someone else in this thread can answer better than I.

3) If you came to my office and said "a former, disgruntled employee is trying to cause 3rd parties to breach their contracts with me" then I would tell you that you may have a civil cause of action, and access to an injunction against the bad actor. This is very expensive.

4) Unless the girl is disclosing private facts, or false information, your wife may have quite an uphill battle to stop the conduct.

Yeah that's the thing I keep telling her, I don't know if what the girl is doing is technically illegal. She's disclosed medical conditions (mental health related), but I assume she's not legally bound to keep them private like a doctor would be. It's just a lovely loving thing to do when all she's trying to do is move on with her life. Civil action is not something either of us are really interested in. I just want it to stop and I was hoping there was some legal way of doing so.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Definitely absolutely not in any way related to the above specific and actual situation, but hypothetically, is there anything wrong with threatening someone with the action of attempting to get a restraining order against them, even if it's not realistic? i.e. sending someone a certified mailing with some scary sounding letter about how if the current harassment/violation of privacy/etc. isn't immediately stopped, a court-ordered restraining order will be sought and yadda yadda.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
That happens all the time, but lots of people wouldn't give much weight to a letter that's not from a lawyer (and even then...) or accompanied by a court summons. On the other hand, it might intimidate, uh, less sophisticated folks.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

the milk machine posted:

On the other hand, it might intimidate, uh, less sophisticated folks.

That was my thought. Hypothetically.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
On the other other hand, a threatening letter could also make a fixable situation into a lawsuit if the recipient lawyers up and beats you to the courthouse.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
It could also piss them off and intensify their efforts / obsession.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

All absolutely true, really depends on the recipient.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

She just mentioned that the recording in question is between her and a different friend, and that the third person who recorded it was not present in the room. Isn't that, like, illegal?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
This link may have some helpful information, but it's just the first google result, so...: http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/california-recording-law

Edit: I didn't mean to sound snarky, I meant it in the sense of "you get what you pay for."

the milk machine fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 25, 2014

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

Ok ok point taken, sorry.

Edit: gotcha, no worries, we lawyered up so we will see how things go. Thanks for the link regardless, it was good to see the entire law.

RaoulDuke12 fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 25, 2014

CheeseKate
Feb 13, 2004
I'm hoping I'm not out of place in posting this here as opposed to a whole new thread. I'm hesitant that it's deserving of its own thread so I'd rather let others be the judge on that. Any advice or guidance on this matter would be greatly appreciated as I'm starting to pull my hair out in frustration after a million and one Google searches have yielded 0 results. This question would relate to Virginia employment law.

My Question: I was able to find some (very limited) information after doing Google searches on who I can contact (before lawyering up) if a former employer violates COBRA processes. However, I wasn't really able to find anything on if a former employer violates Virginia Continuation Plan processes. I got the impression that because the continuation plan is state-based, the same agency doesn't apply or assist. Is there an agency that I can get involved that will actually do something if a former employer fails to cash the initial check and submit the paperwork for healthcare to be continued after an employee resigns, or if the former employer fails to cash payment checks in a timely manner thereafter, resulting in cancellation of the coverage due to non-payment of premium? Or is my only real option to just consult with a lawyer and see if I have a case if either of those things happens?

[ EDIT: Back story removed in case I do need to lawyer up and because question has been answered. ]

CheeseKate fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 25, 2014

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Only registered members can see post attachments!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Send me $100 Cheesekate and I will read your novel.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Oh man it is always so fun to see someone just blindly post in this thread without reading in the least.

So lawgoons let me ask a dumb question. I mentioned a few months ago being pulled over I was pretty mad about it. I have never received a ticket in the mail. Can I assume that I was not in fact cited? I feel like if I call I'm asking for a problem but at the same time I don't want a surprise warrant for a ticket that I never received or some similar bad thing.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Ask your local courthouse if there's anything outstanding for you? Worst case scenario you end up with the ticket, as opposed to having a warrant out for your arrest. I'm not a lawyer but I understand that's annoying.

When I was in college the local provincial police station would do a free computer check on you whenever you wanted (We had to get a paper saying "We don't have a criminal record on file for this guy" once a year); I don't know if a similar service would be available in your area. Or if you'd get arrested on the spot if you have an outstanding warrant.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

CheeseKate posted:

sweet fancy moses

Here's a thing about it, and there's phone numbers and stuff...

http://www.tfabroker.com/folders/1322062489.pdf

[I think that was first google hit on "virginia continuation"]

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

jassi007 posted:

Oh man it is always so fun to see someone just blindly post in this thread without reading in the least.

So lawgoons let me ask a dumb question. I mentioned a few months ago being pulled over I was pretty mad about it. I have never received a ticket in the mail. Can I assume that I was not in fact cited? I feel like if I call I'm asking for a problem but at the same time I don't want a surprise warrant for a ticket that I never received or some similar bad thing.

Is your DOT address up to date? People often forget to update it when they move a lot (young people.)

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

euphronius posted:

Is your DOT address up to date? People often forget to update it when they move a lot (young people.)

Understandable but it is. I am not so young anymore sadly. It was a state trooper so I assume I should call the local state police barraks? PA

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

jassi007 posted:

Understandable but it is. I am not so young anymore sadly. It was a state trooper so I assume I should call the local state police barraks? PA

Oh hey PA I know about PA!!

Look for your name here http://ujsportal.pacourts.us/DocketSheets/MDJ.aspx

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

euphronius posted:

Oh hey PA I know about PA!!

Look for your name here http://ujsportal.pacourts.us/DocketSheets/MDJ.aspx

Cool I'm not on there guess it's no biggie. Just curious do they send tickets with some way for them to prove delivery? If not why not? Just curious at this point

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They usually hand them to you at the time of citation.

Or, if you are too drunk or whatever, they mail it to your home address. Regular mail. If it gets there late you can argue for an extension from the 10 days you get to make a plea / pay the fine.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

euphronius posted:

They usually hand them to you at the time of citation.

Or, if you are too drunk or whatever, they mail it to your home address. Regular mail. If it gets there late you can argue for an extension from the 10 days you get to make a plea / pay the fine.

Short answer he was in a hurry to get somewhere else.

CheeseKate
Feb 13, 2004

woozle wuzzle posted:

Here's a thing about it, and there's phone numbers and stuff...

http://www.tfabroker.com/folders/1322062489.pdf

Thanks, woozle. Appreciate the help regardless of how silly of a question it might have seemed to others. For some reason, none of my Google searches on my iPad pulled this result up but when I searched from my desktop just now I do see where it was the top result. Or maybe I just missed it during my initial searches as I got more and more frantic to find an answer. Anyway, thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
This isn't a question, just a rant about a co-worker I thought people here might appreciate/be just as annoyed by as I am. He's getting a divorce, but he doesn't want to spend money on a lawyer, so he's just working with a paralegal to get the filings right. He refuses to understand that with a house and child support on the line, he really needs someone negotiating on his behalf, and that he stands to lose so much more than the cost of a lawyer. When he got his last paycheck, which included a large travel reimbursement so was much larger than normal, it auto deposited to their joint account and she drained the account. In her latest filing, she's asked for sole custody of the kids- he's already ceded the house to her and the kids because he wanted to disrupt the kids' lives as little as possible.

Watching this happen is just painful. There's no way he doesn't come out better paying a lawyer for help, but he just sees it as an expense he can't afford.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
You can do a divorce pro-se. I did. It just needs to be completely free of contested items and you need to still be on decent speaking terms with your soon-to-be-ex spouse. Which is not most divorces.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Sefer posted:

This isn't a question, just a rant about a co-worker I thought people here might appreciate/be just as annoyed by as I am. He's getting a divorce, but he doesn't want to spend money on a lawyer, so he's just working with a paralegal to get the filings right. He refuses to understand that with a house and child support on the line, he really needs someone negotiating on his behalf, and that he stands to lose so much more than the cost of a lawyer. When he got his last paycheck, which included a large travel reimbursement so was much larger than normal, it auto deposited to their joint account and she drained the account. In her latest filing, she's asked for sole custody of the kids- he's already ceded the house to her and the kids because he wanted to disrupt the kids' lives as little as possible.

Watching this happen is just painful. There's no way he doesn't come out better paying a lawyer for help, but he just sees it as an expense he can't afford.

the common law latin phrase for his specific situation is this: est fuckedo

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Child Support is usually automatic.

The house poo poo yeah he needs a lawyer. This is why I tell people not get married.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Or marry a lawyer! Then when you get divorced, you, uhhh...oh.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
Divorce is still typically about dividing the house... except nowadays that means playing hot potato with the liability on the underwater mortgage.

buttcoin smuggler
Jun 25, 2011

buttcoin smuggler fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 27, 2014

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
Sure doesn't look like it. Sounds like they charge you to send threatening letters to your landlord; otherwise they're flirting with unauthorized practice of law.

buttcoin smuggler
Jun 25, 2011

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

buttcoin smuggler posted:

Yes, that's why I asked. Oh well.

What's the best way to recover a deposit from a landlord? Since the amount at stake is relatively small, I doubt hiring a lawyer is cost effective. However, I'm poor enough that the amount is still meaningful to me, and I'm willing to invest significant time to get it back. Is small claims court the only option, then?

IANAL but where I live there is a group called the Tenancy Claims Tribunal who exist to basically mediate any and all disputes between landlords and tenants.

Why is the landlord withholding the deposit? For repairs or damage you did to the place? Because if so, you might not have any luck getting it back (unless you can prove the damage was there before you)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buttcoin smuggler
Jun 25, 2011