Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Political Vote 5 (Clovis Lestrade):
C3) Don’t marry Jenna Clay.

Political Vote 5 (Red Corsair):
R4) gently caress it, let’s find that Castle Brian already.

Political Vote 5 (Takashi Kurita):
T5) Allow the Yakuza to serve as ‘Mechwarriors, create the Ghost Legions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chicken Slayer
Nov 7, 2009
C1) Marry Jenna Clay on Summer. C2) Marry Jenna Clay on Tharkhad.
R3) Assist the Free Worlders in repelling the fake Red Corsair pirates.
T5) Allow the Yakuza to serve as ‘Mechwarriors, create the Ghost Legions

Also, gently caress Yeah! Political votes are the best.

EDIT: Very subtle poll edit.

Chicken Slayer fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Aug 18, 2011

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it
C1) Marry Jenna Clay on Summer.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

T3) Enter negotiations with Hanse Davion to free up troops to serve on the Clan front.

You guys seriously think the Snakes would let their pride fall so much to let the Yakuza be sen as more then dirt :v:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Clovis Matter:
C2) Marry Jenna Clay on Tharkad

The Red Corsair Affair:
R3) Assist the Free Worlders in repelling the fake Red Corsair pirates

The Kuritan Catalyst:
T5) Allow the Yakuza to serve as 'Mechwarriors, create the Ghost Legions

Frankly, any idea Uncle Chandy has must be a great idea. Thing is, if he's anything like the canon Chandrasekar then any ideas he gets would be designed to make Theodore look good so Theodore's suggestion must be what he's really trying to push. The shame of ceding worlds to the hated Davion enemy would be unbearable to a man so sincerely concerned for the fate of his homeland.

I want to see a Lyran/FWL alliance against the clans, and possibly see the Good Thomas start to win greater power and influence against the man who would call himself "The Master."

And about Tharkad... I don't know exactly if rushing the wedding is the greatest of ideas, but at least the Home Guard's there and they're friends. Wouldn't want to go to Summer, since that's where Aldo Lestrade is the strongest. Sure it's a break from plans and Aldo might grow suspicious of his son's rush for marriage, but I think it's a better shot than walking into the lion's den. Of course, er, Jeana getting outed early would be bad, too.

W.T. Fits posted:

Hey, if Clovis and Jenna get married on Tharkad, will the ceremony be covered by Star Colonel Lyran 'Mech Reporter Bethany Cochraine?

You know...

PoptartsNinja posted:

and Aldo Lestrade—”

“—has given away his nation’s entire battle plan to the Clans,” Tiepolo finished as he stood.

... it's entirely possible that she didn't gently caress off as thoroughly as she would have the Lyrans believe.

Runa fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 18, 2011

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

T.G. Xarbala posted:

... it's entirely possible that she didn't gently caress off as thoroughly as she would have the Lyrans believe.

Everything is coming up Milhouse Steel Vipers!!!!!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

C1

R4

T5

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

C1
) Marry Jenna Clay on Summer.

R3
) Assist the Free Worlders in repelling the fake Red Corsair pirates.

T2
) Allow Hanse Davion control of every contested world to send every possible unit at the Clan front.
Even though Kurita doesn't really want this, it's the strongest move the Combine can make. We already know that the Fox is not planning on attacking on this front, but negotiations could take forever. There is nothing the Fox is better at than diplomacy and he will squeeze for the best deal possible. Freeing up these units for redeployment immediately is huge. These are the best, most experienced units available to the Combine. There has been no Edo Bay Bombing or other disaster to bring the Yakuza the acclaim they'd need to get the logistical support they'd need to be effective Mech Warriors.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
:stare:
Wow, Comstar certainly is spooked if they're calling EVERYTHING back to Terra and going to effectively nuke a significant portion of the HPG Grid. As for the political votes, this is where I'm at my weakest in regards to Battletech lore. I'm pretty decently versed on mechs, weapons, and some Clan history, but IS history and politics I know little about. Still, my choices are as follows:

Political Vote 5 (Clovis Lestrade)
C1) Marry Jenna Clay on Summer. If I understand this situation correctly, any further delay of the wedding or changing the location to Tharkad so suddenly will draw the ire and suspicion of Aldo Lestrade, and due to the recent Heimdall operation Tharkad doesn't exactly have the right atmosphere currently for a wedding imo.

Political Vote 5 (Red Corsair)
Well, obviously the Helm raid didn't go according to plan. My choice is R3) Assist the Free Worlders in repelling the fake Red Corsair pirates. Otherwise, once the battle is over Melissa and company are probably looking at harsh interrogation followed by a swift execution. By helping, she could manuever her group into a better bargaining position. I'm also looking forward to Comstar's false flag op going south (even though the players were Comstar in the last scenario).

Political Vote 5 (Takashi Kurita)
Let's be smart about this. I want to say that, but since I've tried to do that with the other two I want to have a little fun. T1) Maintain a strong presence along the border with the Federated Suns. Let's have the DCMS keep conducting a staring contest with the Federated Suns while getting kicked in the rear end (both figuratively and literally probably) by the Clans.

Sorry about the wall of text everyone, but I wanted to explain my reasoning. Also,

PoptartsNinja posted:

He wore the last three fingernails of his right hand long, the current ‘in’ fashion for Capellan nobility: lacquered, adorned in gold leaf, and reinforced with carbon fibers that left them razor sharp.

:stare: This disturbs me greatly.

EDIT: I have changed my Kurita vote to T4!

landcollector fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 18, 2011

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

PoptartsNinja posted:

C2) Marry Jenna Clay on Tharkad.

R4) gently caress it, let’s find that Castle Brian already.

T4) Enter negotiations with Hanse Davion to free up troops to serve on the Clan front, and request mercenary support in exchange for border concessions.

Can I vote for two? These options are not mutually exclusive. If it's a "pick one only," then T4 is more important than T5. The Dragon will get better use out of The Fox's battle-hardened mercenaries than they will out of essentially untrained, if loyal, Yakuza, though both would of course be better than only one or the other.

[e] My reasoning.

C2: Nothing that Aldo Lestrade is excited about can be good... But not marrying her would be a worse idea. Besides, they seem to be the lovebirds that Candice and Justin should have been. Hopefully, they can deal with Lestrade.

R4: The Lyran Commonwealth is going to need a unit capable of fighting the Clans on near-equal terms as soon as humanly possible. If they pull a load of Tech 2 'mechs out of that Castle Brian, that might just be the punch they'll need - more or less literally, as I trust that by now, news of Steiner Rules Dueling has spread.

T4: The Dragon needs to be in The Fox's good graces. The invasion is too early, the technology base of the Inner Sphere is so bad that even if ComStar said "gently caress it" and transmitted full Star League technology to every world immediately, it wouldn't be enough. The Dragon will need The Fox's veteran mercenary warriors to help stave the tide. Eventually that won't be enough; the Draconis Combine is going to get hammered like a loving anvil, but if they're in the Fox's good graces, they might pull an alliance out of anyway.

T5: If not mutually exclusive with T4, more units on the front line can't hurt. But T4 is higher priority in my opinion.

ShadowDragon8685 fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 18, 2011

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

C2
R2
T4

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

The only one I'm pushing for that's out of sync with other folks is T5. Why not the more popular T4? Simple - it's Hanse Goddamn Davion. Start negotiations with border concessions, and he will go for the loving throat.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Chicken Slayer posted:

T5) Allow the Yakuza to serve as ‘Mechwarriors, create the Ghost Legions

Also, gently caress Yeah! Political votes are the best.

OK aweseome I'm going with these.

C1: I like weddings, people should get married and be happy! And "Summer" sounds like a nice place for a wedding. I got married on the first day of summer. :)

R3: Helping people with their problems is nice. We don't like liars.

T5: "Ghost Legions" sounds pretty cool to me!

I have a pretty tenuous grasp on what's going on or why, I can't keep any of the major characters straight, and I have no idea where or how this relates to the canon, with which I'm totally unfamiliar (beyond what I've somewhat absorbed from reading this thread). Consequently, I'm gonna be basing my votes on pretty facile reasoning, sorry.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Please correct me if I am wrong, people who know what I am doing, but is Jenna Clay's husband to be better defended on Tharkad or Summer? I'm assuming it's Tharkad, so I am voting for that, but I meant to vote the better defended option.

quote:

Potential allies, AND more time to find the Castle Brian? Yes Please.

quote:

T4) Enter negotiations with Hanse Davion to free up troops to serve on the Clan front, and request mercenary support in return for border concessions

Why cannot we vote for both? I'd want to do both. We want the support against the Clans, and the Yakuza could serve as Merc units for all I care. Also, despite the lack of bombings or whatever to build respect, I am 100% confident that units full of Yakuza will rapidly generate sufficent 'respect' from their logistics tree to ensure that they are well supplied. And by respect, I mean fear of being repeatedly stabbed in the face.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 18, 2011

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
C1, R3, T5. The only choice I don't really understand is the C one, but from what I understand C2 could cause problems and marrying is always better than not marrying so let's go with C1.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
C1 - get hitched, and then we'll see if exposing Jenna needs to happen... 'cause a yes/no vote on that one could be interesting...

R3 - Let's make friends! Besides, I like things that give House Marik something to do and possibly some nice screen time. I like House Marik and the fluff always seems to shaft them.

T5 - Maybe not the most tactically sound choice but almost certainly, to our point of view, the most fun.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
C2;
R3;
T4 AND T5;

Logically Takeshi will need all the help he can get. The Ghost regiments and the Kell Hounds AND the Wolf's Dragoons barely pulled his rear end out of the fire in the "real" timeline, so in this one it's going to take the Northwind Highlanders, Eridani Light Horse and probably Team Banzai and the Lexington Combat Group for good measure.

landcollector posted:

:stare: This disturbs me greatly.
It's also canon.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

I know nothing about the Battletech fiction but:

C1, R2, T5

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Why cannot we vote for both?

The people of the Draconis Combine might be willing to accept one or the other, but they are a very traditional and slow-changing society. Negotiating with a five-hundred year enemy is nearly unthinkable; but then again... so is letting the Yakuza pilot Battlemechs as if they were Samurai.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
C1: Maintain the cover story.
R3: Fighting against someone with the same name is a gesture of solidarity with the FWL.
T4: Giving Hanse a stake in the fight against the Clans is bad news for the clans.

If T5 is possible in addition, then T5 as well. This is not a time for half measures.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

C1

R4

T3

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

AJ_Impy posted:

C1: Maintain the cover story.
R3: Fighting against someone with the same name is a gesture of solidarity with the FWL.
T4: Giving Hanse a stake in the fight against the Clans is bad news for the clans.

If T5 is possible in addition, then T5 as well. This is not a time for half measures.

Let's just hope Hanse doesn't keel over from a heart attack in this timeline....

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

landcollector posted:

Let's just hope Hanse doesn't keel over from a heart attack in this timeline....

Thankfully, he is barely over 50 right now because the Clan Invasion is happening so much sooner.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The strength must be found from within the Dragon, not from without. And it is fitting for Criminals and Low-Lives to find honor in their deaths by serving the dragon, not harming it.

Edit: Vote change, C1 -> C2.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Aug 18, 2011

ThCawdor
Apr 23, 2010

(although if R4 is available in addition, I'd like to see that as well)

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

The only thing I care to vote for is that we create the :ghost: legions. Whatever it is, involves Japanese gangsters so it must be gloriously space 80's.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
C2) Marry Jenna Clay on Tharkad. I don't have a fancy argument here but both my and my Political Advisor's guts agree this option has the best chance of weakening Aldo Lestrade (and that anything that screws him is for the best)

R3) Assist the Free Worlders in repelling the fake Red Corsair pirates. Since I find it very likely the fake corsairs are a ROM false flag op aimed at the Castle and what is within they need to be defeated anyway and if anybody can let the FWL beat a ROM attack it is Morgan Kell.

T5) Allow the Yakuza to serve as ‘Mechwarriors, create the Ghost Legions. While T4 is extremely tempting my exceptional Political Advisor who is far more knowledgeable about battletech than I is quite convinced that the Fox would think nothing of taking the offer as weakness and orchestrating a backstab to conquer as much as possible while they are otherwise engaged.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

PoptartsNinja posted:

The people of the Draconis Combine might be willing to accept one or the other, but they are a very traditional and slow-changing society. Negotiating with a five-hundred year enemy is nearly unthinkable; but then again... so is letting the Yakuza pilot Battlemechs as if they were Samurai.

Yeah that's pretty reasonable. I'd still like the politicans to create the Yakuza units as 'mercenaries' or whatever if they can do so, but fair enough.

Chicken Slayer
Nov 7, 2009
Glorious Japanese Space Gangsters, GO!

On a tangent, I know there's a fair bit of threadhate for Hanse Davion (well, not really, but people seem to want to make sure that the Fox operates as far from canon as possible), but what exactly are we going to do with the Fox.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
PTN would it be possible to get the decided on reporting names catalogued somewhere in the OPs since we're starting to collect a fairly vast number of them?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

UberJew posted:

PTN would it be possible to get the decided on reporting names catalogued somewhere in the OPs since we're starting to collect a fairly vast number of them?

I'm not entirely certain what you mean by this. I mean, I've got an inkling, but I'd hate to assume I know what you're talking about and then be wrong.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm not entirely certain what you mean by this. I mean, I've got an inkling, but I'd hate to assume I know what you're talking about and then be wrong.

A list of all the reporting names that have been assigned via the thread as prizes or in battles like Mad Dog (Copperhead). Less important in that specific case since there's a TRO entry but we've named a lot more than have had entries.

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

The Sleeper must awaken...with a damn fine can of Georgia coffee.
C1
R3
T4

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

UberJew posted:

A list of all the reporting names that have been assigned via the thread as prizes or in battles like Mad Dog (Copperhead). Less important in that specific case since there's a TRO entry but we've named a lot more than have had entries.

*Looks at request*
:stare:

*Looks at Thread length*
:gonk:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I am kind of hoping that PTN has already been keeping a list!

Because otherwise. Yeah. :negative:

Eumenides
Sep 24, 2007

This is the face of Lawful Good!

Fun Shoe

Mukaikubo posted:

First choice: The first vote is truly the best one. Melissa Steiner must be protected- she is the hope of the Lyran Commonwealth. Jeana Clay will be marked for death as soon as the announcement hits, which means we must postpone it for as long as possible. Hence: A, Marry Jeana Clay on Summer. Besides, Clovis deserves a little happiness in this life.

Second choice: More interesting. Melissa must return to the Commonwealth, and must return with as much force as she can muster. She cannot afford the time a prolonged stint as fugitive would entail. She must escape. She *must* escape. Preferably without starting a war. R2) Attempt to escape without harming the Free Worlders.

These both sound good so I'll toss in my votes the same way, except T5 sounds too awesome to pass up.

Eumenides fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Aug 18, 2011

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Axe-man posted:

C2
R2
T4

Basically this.

Having the marriage on Summer would only delay the inevitable, and place the "royal couple" immediately in harm's way, in Aldo's back yard. On Tharkad, they might have a chance because of the Home Guard.

The Red Corsair, meanwhile, needs to get out of dodge ASAP. An escape is needed. At the same time, the less damage done on the way out the better, as the FWL isn't the enemy here.

Right now we're dealing with Hanse during his most opportunistic phase. Bolstering the Clan front without significant assurances and deals would be suicidal. Ceding a few worlds in exchange for military support might be a good deal, and should cause Hanse to turn his attention against the Capellans instead of the Combine.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

UberJew posted:

I thought that's what you were getting at. I went ahead and added them all to the TRO list, even though most of them are unchanged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
C2, R3, :ghost:

• Locked thread