Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

perepelki posted:

yesterday, with some foreboding, i heard a hawk calling in the orchard

today...

friday is gone.
https://twitter.com/atomicthumbs/status/1402119122150838275
i combed the block looking for her just in case, then came back inside and that tweet was sitting on top of my twitter feed. in that moment, i knew.

perepelki fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jun 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

it's my birthday so i was half prepared to lose a quail today, but tbh i expected it to be scrubtit because he's a holy fool and friday was so sensible. i think the hawk passed him over because he's so small, and waited for somebody plumper. lord, she was plump. a plumper bird i've never seen. i will always love you, friday quailo

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Oh God damnit, not Friday. I'm not going to dress it up, that's awful.

But as I've said before and will surely say again, you're an amazing quail caretaker. Your borbs got to experience heaven on earth being in your flock.

Take care of yourself. You've got a forum full of folks to chat with if need be.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Captain Log posted:

Oh God damnit, not Friday. I'm not going to dress it up, that's awful.

But as I've said before and will surely say again, you're an amazing quail caretaker. Your borbs got to experience heaven on earth being in your flock.

Take care of yourself. You've got a forum full of folks to chat with if need be.
thank you :unsmith: friday was very special and my heart is broken, but oddly i'm not as upset as i thought i'd be when this inevitably happened. there's a polar vortex hitting australia right now, so that meal could be the difference between life and death for some precious baby hawk. i'm coming to terms with the fact that losing birds to predators is actually part of the reason i'm doing what i'm doing - not something to be avoided at all costs, but a way of giving back to the environment that i live in.

but i loved that little yellow bird. i hope she gets reincarnated into a dolphin.

perepelki fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jun 8, 2021

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

perepelki posted:

but i loved that little yellow bird. i hope she gets reincarnated into a dolphin.

God I'm so sorry.
You will always be loved, Friday.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I'm so sorry :sympathy:

She was such an amazing bird and her life was witnessed and celebrated around the world by goons. I'm glad we were able to share in her glorious little existence for awhile.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

:glomp: you are all darlings. friday is bibbiting and slow-blinking at you from borb heaven

losing quail to aerial predators is probably the least upsetting way to lose them, aside from old age. we don't have any non-native birds of prey, so at least they're not going into the belly of a cat or a rat, and it's a very sudden and quick death. i prefer it to having to euthanise a bird after illness or injury, and far more than losing them into the wilderness to an uncertain fate. knowing that she almost certainly went to a hawk gives her death (and life) meaning.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

perepelki posted:

:glomp: you are all darlings. friday is bibbiting and slow-blinking at you from borb heaven

losing quail to aerial predators is probably the least upsetting way to lose them, aside from old age. we don't have any non-native birds of prey, so at least they're not going into the belly of a cat or a rat, and it's a very sudden and quick death. i prefer it to having to euthanise a bird after illness or injury, and far more than losing them into the wilderness to an uncertain fate. knowing that she almost certainly went to a hawk gives her death (and life) meaning.

That’s a beautiful thought. I’m sorry that you lost Friday. :sympathy:

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

i love this thread. you have made this tragic occurrence so much easier to deal with.

the past 24 hours have been wracked with high winds and freezing rain, and it brought me real comfort to imagine that somewhere nearby are some fluffy baby hawks with full bellies who will survive the polar blast because friday died for our sins. i've come to the realisation that i am breeding meat birds after all; i'm just not the one who eats them. that won't stop me from giving them names and getting attached, though. the attachment and heartbreak are part of the process.

the torah reading for the shabbat of my birth is the passage where G-d sends a flock of quail to feed the starving israelites in the desert. i don't know what that means, but it means something.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

recently i read a lovely article about camel herders in somalia. a herdsman was asked how he can tell what his camels are thinking and feeling, and his response was, "when something is yours, it has people's eyes." that is exactly how i felt about my friday quail.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

:cry: that is beautiful :sympathy:

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

City of Glompton posted:

:cry: that is beautiful :sympathy:

Every time I see your screen name I think "we keep it rockin', we keep it rockin'".

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I have no good pictures, but there are a few groups of wild quail I encounter at work on a pretty regular basis that make me think of your birds. Because I am a weirdo, I sometimes tell them about things that birds half a globe away do as they leave or wait for me to leave some millet from a safe distance.

Rest in Peace, beautiful Friday.

Scrubtit, you beautiful little thing, please up your perception score.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

There was about a dozen crows harassing what I think is an osprey this morning when I was out taking care of my chickens, thanks crow friends.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Our ducklings arrived! We had a single duckling pass about an hour after arrival. It just cheep'd and rolled over. My wife is fairly well distraught over it.

We introduced our Lab after a few hours and he was terrified of the ducklings.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Shifty Nipples posted:

There was about a dozen crows harassing what I think is an osprey this morning when I was out taking care of my chickens, thanks crow friends.

Ospreys, fortunately, shouldn't typically be a problem for your chickens. They're dedicated fish eaters - the online bird guides I checked both agree that upwards of 99% of ospreys' diet is fish.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Yooper posted:

ducklings!
ducklings!!! :h:

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Ospreys, fortunately, shouldn't typically be a problem for your chickens. They're dedicated fish eaters - the online bird guides I checked both agree that upwards of 99% of ospreys' diet is fish.

I'm just glad they are around to maybe harass any other birds that could pose a threat to my chickens.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Chaosfeather posted:

Scrubtit, you beautiful little thing, please up your perception score.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I'm hypnotised

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Enfys posted:

I'm hypnotised
he follows me around the yard like that constantly, tiny little legs going a mile a minute, like a beetle. absolutely ridiculous

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
Hello backyard bird thread, I moved into a situation with chickens and ducks a couple years ago and learning to love these little featherballs has been very fulfilling. I don't have a huge amount to add to the conversation aside from commiseration at losing a special bird (it's real bad), and a very cute picture of our newest, a Serama rooster, being a tiny sweet baby:

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

bonus hole boy posted:

our newest, a Serama rooster, being a tiny sweet baby:

:kimchi: cosy darling

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

tigerlily, who was friday's constant companion (and son), has been very quiet and reclusive these two days since the tragedy. he spent all of today and yesterday sitting behind the coop by himself, doesn't show any curiosity about things happening in the yard, and when inside the coop just snuggles down into the grass in silence. just then i checked on him and he met my gaze with his people's eyes and a pang of sorrow passed between us

he's grieving

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

perepelki posted:

tigerlily, who was friday's constant companion (and son), has been very quiet and reclusive these two days since the tragedy. he spent all of today and yesterday sitting behind the coop by himself, doesn't show any curiosity about things happening in the yard, and when inside the coop just snuggles down into the grass in silence. just then i checked on him and he met my gaze with his people's eyes and a pang of sorrow passed between us

he's grieving

Can you cuddle Tigerlily? Or give him extra treats?

Good god, here I am getting choked up about a sad quail... :smith:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

perepelki posted:

he's grieving

They do grieve. We've seen it with our hens.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Captain Log posted:

Can you cuddle Tigerlily? Or give him extra treats?

Good god, here I am getting choked up about a sad quail... :smith:
he'll be ok, the others are supporting him in their own funny little way. luckily they had a bit of sunshine today after days of rain and cold. i think he may have witnessed the tragedy occurring, so he's traumatised on top of the sadness of losing his hen :( it just goes to show how close their bonds are.

spookygonk posted:

They do grieve. We've seen it with our hens.
they're such complex creatures and so few people even know :(

e: once i gave some of my (chicken) hens to a friend of mine. one of them we'd bought with her pullet years before, and they'd never been separated, but he wanted the mother and not the pullet. even though she had six other friends with her that she knew well, the old hen went to pieces. she hid in the corner of the chookhouse, in the dark, for a full week, refusing to come out except briefly to eat and drink. after a week, we realised she wasn't going to recover - so i delivered her daughter to live with her. the moment they saw each other, the old hen leapt up, they exchanged warm cluckings, and she immediately started bustling around the coop pecking and scratching and making herself at home. after that, there were no further problems.

perepelki fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jun 11, 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I had some friends over and they warned me about the dangers of catching salmonella from your chickens. I picked Venus up and walking around going "Waaah! I'm gonna get salmonella from a chicken and I'm gonna diiieee because I'm a weak little biiitch" and they stopped bringing it up after that.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I mean.... soap exists.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
This is the couple who had a seven-day quarantine system to decontaminate all their mail and wore gas masks and rubber gloves to go get their vaccine.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

my babies are getting big

i need to find homes for these two boys...

they are great and so pretty. when anything new enters their space, these two plus Izzie (not pictured) run to intercept it right away. they are good boys, except the other night Chickmunk (the dark brown one on the right) got out of their temporary pen in the garage and i found him in the mop bucket hiding under the mop :derp:

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

City of Glompton posted:

my babies are getting big

I love the coloration on the bottom two, and those fluffy pants! :kimchi:

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Ducklings!

They are happy outside and race about chasing after blades of grass. We're doing short stints outside then back in under the brooder. They are slowly getting less fearful but are still pretty skittish.

The amount of runny poop is staggering.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Yooper posted:

Ducklings!
The amount of runny poop is staggering.
Chicken < Duck < Goose [poop amounts]

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

perepelki posted:

e: once i gave some of my (chicken) hens to a friend of mine. one of them we'd bought with her pullet years before, and they'd never been separated, but he wanted the mother and not the pullet. even though she had six other friends with her that she knew well, the old hen went to pieces. she hid in the corner of the chookhouse, in the dark, for a full week, refusing to come out except briefly to eat and drink. after a week, we realised she wasn't going to recover - so i delivered her daughter to live with her. the moment they saw each other, the old hen leapt up, they exchanged warm cluckings, and she immediately started bustling around the coop pecking and scratching and making herself at home. after that, there were no further problems.

So sweet and sad. Glad they were reunited.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I knocked our egg holding bin out of the refrigerator and then had to clean like a dozen broken eggs off of the floor. I'm kind of angry.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

i would be angry too!

i had my own egg business when i was a kid, selling eggs to my neighbors. once i dropped a dozen on Mrs. Delp's kitchen floor and i was just devastated

today my parents brought me my 12+ year old chicken tractor, along with my 30 year old chicken sign :love:

Mom repainted the sign but admitted the rooster might need a touch up. that's ok by me, im just delighted it still exists after all this time
]

the chickens love being in the tractor and i love not having them in the house/garage. i put a tarp on it to give them some more shade. tomorrow it's going to be quite hot so I'll have to move it to a better location

https://i.imgur.com/KMISWUd.mp4

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

City of Glompton posted:

Mom repainted the sign but admitted the rooster might need a touch up. that's ok by me, im just delighted it still exists after all this time
]
this makes me so happy :kimchi:

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

me too :) i have my dad to thank for it tbh, he was the one who told me about the listing for the chicks, and once i told him i had brought them home, he went out and found the sign in their barn for me :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I love the sign and your cute floofy chicks!

The teenagers (young adults?) and the adults moved separately out to the field during the Great Chicken Shuffle. I really like this hen, she’s one of the Sapphire Olive Eggers.

Large Marge’s chicks moved to the Teenager Coop. Those meat chicks are absolutely gigantic.

And the big news is that one of the two last broody hens hatched an egg this afternoon! All the eggs are due to hatch tomorrow, so this one is precocious.