Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

I kinda like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Inside job! An equipment fire can't melt steel beams!

Fake edit: We're all on the same page about fire just needing to weaken steel in order to cause a collapse right?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
All those leftover pvc conduits for fiber optic under the bridge must've been a real good accelerant once the fire got going.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Jusupov posted:

All those leftover pvc conduits for fiber optic under the bridge must've been a real good accelerant once the fire got going.

Clearly those are there to conceal evidence of a controlled demolition, in order to make it look like burning fuel could melt steel beams.
This is all related to the original cover-up, duh

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Ahhhhh so it was HDPE instead of PVC. That makes a lot more sense because huge stacks of pure long-chain hydrocarbons with big air voids formed into them by design would definitely burn like hell.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

beep-beep car is go posted:

Why is there a liquid nitrogen Dewar on the "porch"?

When that thing hits 88mph, you're going to see some serious poo poo.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
We got one here in DIY!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Wow. I think my favorite part is that he started with a perfectly lovely bathroom in a 10 year old house. Just tearing it up for fun.

Or maybe that he's actually removed a window, I've never heard of anyone going 'this room has way too much natural light, let's plaster over some windows' before.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Jusupov posted:

Those spools of cable are pretty much the platonic ideal of perfect combustible loading. They burn hot, long, and completely. People often seem to get a sudden rush of poo poo to the brain when they don't count cables as combustible loads in fire hazards analyses and it can be a huge deal for places like chemical plants where you want to prevent fire spread.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/tinselt0wn/status/847610299184168960

Looks really nice to drive past when it was really going.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.google.com/maps/place/A...3879824!5m1!1e1

Lots of red on that map.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Synthbuttrange posted:

That audio is stolen from an entirely different video of a guy driving by a fire on the highway...

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Alereon posted:

That audio is stolen from an entirely different video of a guy driving by a fire on the highway...

:thejoke:

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

lmao

Alereon posted:

double lmao

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Ashcans posted:

How bad is your commute that you figure driving blind through the smoke of a fire burning beneath it is your best option? :stare:

Depends, were they driving towards or away from Atlanta?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is there like a youtube link of that? I have no idea how to do twitter or link that to my friends I know will appreciate it.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Baronjutter posted:

Is there like a youtube link of that? I have no idea how to do twitter or link that to my friends I know will appreciate it.

The "time" in a tweet is a URL link to the tweet, grandpa.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I appreciate that his last post is trying to talk down to someone else after he's seriously damaged his own home

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Blindeye posted:

Those spools of cable are pretty much the platonic ideal of perfect combustible loading. They burn hot, long, and completely. People often seem to get a sudden rush of poo poo to the brain when they don't count cables as combustible loads in fire hazards analyses and it can be a huge deal for places like chemical plants where you want to prevent fire spread.

Electric fires inside walls are fun.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Blindeye posted:

Those spools of cable are pretty much the platonic ideal of perfect combustible loading. They burn hot, long, and completely.

And have a built-in chimney! One time we threw a wicker laundry basket on the backyard bonfire. Took a few seconds for the bottom to burn out, and then that fucker roared like a giant blowtorch. Fun times.

therobit posted:

I kinda like it.

The psychobilly band sticker explains everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTo9rYzSqXg

The owners of that bus have made some questionable decisions, but their taste in music is not one of them. :v:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Delivery McGee posted:

The psychobilly band sticker explains everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTo9rYzSqXg

The owners of that bus have made some questionable decisions, but their taste in music is not one of them. :v:

I will always be grateful to the game Redneck Rampage for introducing me to Rev. Horton Heat

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

god drat clipping errors

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

:wow:

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Possible dumb question, but is there any way this is actually sound?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Modus Pwnens posted:

Possible dumb question, but is there any way this is actually sound?

Cantilevered steel beams could probably do that. I don't know why you'd want to though.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
It appears to be supported at all 4 corners, no cantilevering. So unless it's just really fundamentally misbuilt, seems like it'd be fine.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Slugworth posted:

It appears to be supported at all 4 corners, no cantilevering. So unless it's just really fundamentally misbuilt, seems like it'd be fine.

Visually that one corner post seems small to me but I'm no engineer.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Modus Pwnens posted:

Maybe there's another support at the edge of that black cabinet mass where it seems to run up to the ceiling. Tiny post could just be holding up part of that overhang.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Modus Pwnens posted:

Also not an engineer, but assuming it's at least a 4x4 post, they can support a lot of compressive weight. Something like 6k lbs each. I've no idea how that plays out in real life, how evenly weight is distributed, concerns about racking, etc. But back of the napkin calculation, that structure could weigh 24,000 lbs and be ok. (Especially since it's well supported on at least two sides, maybe on that left side too)

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 2, 2017

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

there wolf posted:

Maybe there's another support at the edge of that black cabinet mass where it seems to run up to the ceiling. Tiny post could just be holding up part of that overhang.

This is my thought, also the photo is potato so who know what that support beam is... could just be a wood cladding over a metal beam.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

`Nemesis posted:

This is my thought, also the photo is potato so who know what that support beam is... could just be a wood cladding over a metal beam.

Oh sorry, I was phone posting and didn't realize I posted a spud. Here's a bigger one, even if it's not the most exciting topic.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
I'd bet on there being a beam where the stairs meet the second floor, so that column is probably only holding up the corner of that 3' overhang.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
From what I've seen in this thread I wouldn't bet on anything, but that makes sense. Thanks!

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Yeah, that'd be my guess too. Can we point out how dumb the whole setup looks, btw? Like, outside of an office overlooking a factory floor, who puts windows in a mezzanine type thing like that?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Slugworth posted:

Yeah, that'd be my guess too. Can we point out how dumb the whole setup looks, btw? Like, outside of an office overlooking a factory floor, who puts windows in a mezzanine type thing like that?

My sister's place is a bit like that. It has a balcony room (craft room, sometimes guest room) over the kitchen looking into the living room, with the stairs to one side. Except the stair landing is in the kitchen and it's a platform stair that doubles back on it's self to get up to the balcony room. It looks a fair bit less janky that way.

I'd put good money on this being a town home or apartment.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Suspect Bucket posted:

I'd put good money on this being a town home or apartment.

Single family home. The rest of the house seems alright to me but the living room and the front view are... not to my taste. But picking it apart isn't quite as fun when it's not a would-be mansion.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Slugworth posted:

Yeah, the indoor windows freak me out a little.

It would look so much better with a larger picture window on the ground level.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Modus Pwnens posted:

Single family home. The rest of the house seems alright to me but the living room and the front view are... not to my taste. But picking it apart isn't quite as fun when it's not a would-be mansion.

It needs something between the windows and garage door. A narrow roof section would make that look a lot better.