Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
Managed to get my very first lv 60! I started like a week before Heavensward launched. Total playtime is 11 days 15 hours and 19 minutes. It took awhile but I got there! Now to finish the rest of the MSQ and maybe try some different classes too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Newbie trip report: joined Excalibur, started Pugilist, now a level 35 monk, pretty fun so far and I like the forced dungeon integration into the main quest. Just finished Haukke Manor and things are still smooth sailing, being a DPS is weird because nobody really expects much of me except hit things. I may branch out into tank because I need marauder skills anyway.

The main quest has been fun but there's a lot of bloat around the 25-35 levels after Ifrit. The Pugilist class quests were great because you just have to convince Hulk Hogan to return to wrestling but so far the monk quests are terrible because the main character is a guy so awful that the game writes babble instead of what he's actually saying.

I tried crafting early on but it seems like it really sucks unless I'm committed enough to bring literally every class to 60. I do like fishing, because I can pin Firefox on top and watch movies while I fish. It's very relaxing.

So yeah so far the game is fun and I can definitely see myself at least making it to the end of the basic story. I do wish there was more stuff I could do with non-randomly assigned players at my level. Maybe that's my fault for joining PBC instead of, like, a newbie guild.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Prop Wash posted:

the monk quests are terrible because the main character is a guy so awful that the game writes babble instead of what he's actually saying.

Erik's kind of awful and the writing doesn't encourage you to sympathize with him, but Widargelt isn't really right, either. Also if you willingly talk to Erik outside of missions he's got a LOAD of dialog explaining the historical battle sites he's sending you to, just some fun bonus lore.

Prop Wash posted:

I tried crafting early on but it seems like it really sucks unless I'm committed enough to bring literally every class to 60.

Well, to 15, anyway. The first-tier cross-class skills are very useful for the amount of time they take to get, after that you can just cruise along doing your daily GC turnins.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Prop Wash posted:

So yeah so far the game is fun and I can definitely see myself at least making it to the end of the basic story. I do wish there was more stuff I could do with non-randomly assigned players at my level. Maybe that's my fault for joining PBC instead of, like, a newbie guild.

Be sure to ask around when you're doing dungeons or whatever. There are still plenty of people leveling alt classes, and on-level dungeons are a great way to do that. When I see someone asking for a group for a story dungeon, I always try to jump in if I've got a class around that range.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Does anybody have any advice for making gil? I seem to perpetually hover just under two million, and drat it, there's all sorts of glamours and furniture to buy.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

So, you know how the super-rich crafters can get X gil per hour and it's all sorts of enviable? Some of that is because it would cost them less (in that X gil/hr value of time) to buy some intermediate materials than to gather or craft them themselves. Mister Super Rich Crafter has better things to do than ride off into the far corner of Southern Thanalan to gather up some mythril ore, especially when they only want a few.

Which is why stuff like that sells in the first place. Dig around, find out what those are, and make them. Check how often HQ sells compared to NQ, and what sort of price difference there is, before deciding whether or not to go HQ yourself - you can churn out a hell of a lot more quantity if NQ's nearly as good to sell (both for gathered and crafted poo poo).

Also be sure to sell things in quantities people actually want. For example, you can often sell logs and lumber in moderate to large numbers, but branches are rarely desired in quantities more than 1 (and also rarely desired period).

Other things you can do include gathering and running a treasure map every day, and selling things that you can't always drop what you're doing and gather (such as fish with weather dependencies, stuff from unspoiled/ephemeral nodes). Check what your retainers can gather via ventures and which of those have the best value (bearing in mind that things have to actually sell regularly) per venture. Send your retainers out on a cycle of the top few most profitable things (don't just gather a shitload of one thing, flooding the market won't help you - diversify).

Beyond that, you can get small but fairly easy/automatic incidental gil just by doing things you'll want to do anyway. When you do your daily hunts for exp, for example, you get a total of like 17,500 gil a day. Roulettes give gil too, and you're probably running those for esoterics or exp. Challenge log objectives all give gil (in addition to other stuff), for doing things you're usually doing anyway. None of those things will make you rich, but they'll easily keep you afloat.

Also, glamour prisms. If you've ever hemorrhaged gold on those, you can appreciate how much you can make by turning right around and fleecing other people.

Big ticket windfalls are uncommon by definition. By all means, you might luck into a Gestahl or something from ventures, or something nice from a treasure map, or a minion from a dungeon run. But they're rare enough and often sell slowly enough, that you shouldn't make your entire income dependent on getting and selling something like that. It's just a really nice bonus if it does happen.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Here is my secret Money Strategy:

1) Go to Mor Dhona and purchase two or more full sets of the white crafting gear from the vendor (with the exception of the hat, which should be the Felt Coif of Gathering; the items need to be ilvl45+). Equip two of the Meteor Survivor Rings and get a Spiritbonding Potion from your GC.

2) Go to Wineport and then head up to Castrum Whatever (the big Imperial base where you start Binding Coil) on a class that can deal good AoE damage, has a cheap ranged attack to pull with, and a bit of survivability (Scholar is great for this). Equip the rings, drink your potion, and put on your ugly-rear end crafting rags.

3) Gather the enemies there into a big clump by pulling them together around the Signifiers (which tend not to move). There's four big clumps you can make this way: outside the main gate, after the main goat in the approach, the side room with the BC entrance, and the "back" room with a bunch of spread-out dudes. Kill them with AoEs.

4) When one of the items is finished spiritbonding, strip it off, convert it, and then put on the second set that you brought along.

If you have no gathering classes leveled to 50+, this is by far the best way of making gil. Overmelding is a bunch of horseshit that will eat up materia like nothing else, so there's a constant demand for crafting materia. This will give you a steady supply of IIIs and the occasional IV (which usually sells for decent bank; most of the crafting IVs go for about 60-90k on Excalibur). It's pretty dull as far as money making goes, but you can spiritbond a full set with the +9 bonus you get in about half an hour or so.

Edit: As well, make sure to consider what sort of purchases you're making normally. Those Glamour Prisms might be only 6-7k, but that poo poo adds up fast if you end up buying a lot of them.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 31, 2015

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Spiritbonding is also a really good method, if you have the patience for it. (Then again, a lot of these are "if you have the patience for it".)

I will say, however, that the benefit from +spiritbond on gear is so very negligible that you're better off wearing two more rings to spiritbond each time, rather than Meteor Survivor Rings. The potion doesn't take up an equip slot so go ahead and keep using those if you like.

You can also speed up spiritbond rate (a lot more than +spiritbond will do) by shoving cheap materia into the items. So if your server has any materia for 100-200 gil or less (doesn't matter the tier), go ahead and grab them up and put them into the things you're spiritbonding. Especially if there's one particular equipment slot that always finishes later than the others, putting a materia in that item will do a lot to make it sync up better with timing.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Is there a heavensward equivalent to Urth's yet?

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

One way to tell what crafted items are in demand is to look at what levequest turn ins are. There's plenty of players who'll buy their way through leveling crafting instead of doing actual crafting that you can take advantage of. Look into them and see how much profit you can get and if they're moving. I made a fair bit in 2.x doing that for a while.

Another possibility is level 50 glamor markets. I'm not sure if they're good now though but that was another source of cash in the 2.x days. Since they're glamors there still might be a demand for them and you only need NQ materials. I made cash through the Light Steel markets since the Dark Steel Ingots would be ~15-18k NQ, light steel plate was pennies, and something else that was maybe a few k. Make a few (NQ crafts are also easy) and put them up for 70-100k. Mind they don't move very fast but it was a decent income stream for me in 2.x . Coke / Darksteel Ingots should be cheap now too but light steel plates have shot up in price instead though last I checked.

I haven't done either since HW so I'm not sure if they're good money making games now though.

If you have lv60 retainers send them out too. Check what they can get and what's selling for decent prices and send them on a stream of hunting ventures. If it's a lv51-60 venture you'll get a mix of 10 NQ and HQ items, repeat a few times and it should be enough to sell for a couple thousand.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Vil posted:

Spiritbonding is also a really good method, if you have the patience for it. (Then again, a lot of these are "if you have the patience for it".)

I will say, however, that the benefit from +spiritbond on gear is so very negligible that you're better off wearing two more rings to spiritbond each time, rather than Meteor Survivor Rings. The potion doesn't take up an equip slot so go ahead and keep using those if you like.

You can also speed up spiritbond rate (a lot more than +spiritbond will do) by shoving cheap materia into the items. So if your server has any materia for 100-200 gil or less (doesn't matter the tier), go ahead and grab them up and put them into the things you're spiritbonding. Especially if there's one particular equipment slot that always finishes later than the others, putting a materia in that item will do a lot to make it sync up better with timing.

Do you ever get the ability to Convert green blue and pink items?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

nuru posted:

Not really worth it unless you're angling for Vs. Just powering through Wineport/Urth's on a 60 with ilvl45s is cheaper and faster.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Vermain posted:

Not really worth it unless you're angling for Vs. Just powering through Wineport/Urth's on a 60 with ilvl45s is cheaper and faster.

Sure, if you only want IIIs and a rare IV.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

SirPhoebos posted:

Do you ever get the ability to Convert green blue and pink items?

Green and blue no, pink usually you can because they're just crafted gear with bonus stats.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
the fastest gil is probably ninja betta desynths, imo

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

nuru posted:

IIIs still sell really well, especially with a IV to occasionally supplement them. The absolute cheapest crafting stuff you can get in Heavensward (storebought from Moghome, 10-15k per piece) requires an absurdly high rate of IV acquisition to justify purchasing it over the cheap-as-sin ilvl45/46 gear, not to mention that you need to somehow find a place where you can actually kill stuff effectively while in 2/3rds Spiritbonding stuff (and good loving luck doing that in HW with the HP inflation). There simply isn't a reason to do it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Grade 1 craftsmanship materia has unusually high demand. On Excalibur right now they're selling for 18k each.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Boten Anna posted:

Green and blue no, pink usually you can because they're just crafted gear with bonus stats.

To expand on this, craftable green gear like the level 50 gatherer and crafter class AF outfits can be converted. Unique greens found as dungeon drops or bought from your GC can't be converted.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

nuru posted:

you can't convert to crafting/gathering v yet anyways. it's not turned on.

the only way to get them right now is to get lucky mashing five ivs at mutamix's place

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

sword_man.gif posted:

you can't convert to crafting/gathering v yet anyways. it's not turned on.

the only way to get them right now is to get lucky mashing five ivs at mutamix's place

All these Quicktongue IV I have from incidental fishing desynths have to go somewhere, after all. :unsmigghh:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Has xp been added to the High-level dungeons, or is that not coming 'till 3.1?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

SirPhoebos posted:

Has xp been added to the High-level dungeons, or is that not coming 'till 3.1?

3.07 was the dark/monk/astro buff and a bunch of bug fixes mostly.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Started the free trial this weekend, absolutely loving this game. Is there any armour inspired by Amano's orig FF artwork? Like beads and sashes? Want to make a Firion-styled dude in aesthetics cos that poo poo's cool to me!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

RedHotKick posted:

Started the free trial this weekend, absolutely loving this game. Is there any armour inspired by Amano's orig FF artwork? Like beads and sashes? Want to make a Firion-styled dude in aesthetics cos that poo poo's cool to me!

Well if you play for 2 1/3 years they give you a copy of Firion's outfit, but I don't think that's what you're looking for.

I can't recommend anything in particular, but I have seen some sash-and-bead-tastic outfits in the game.

EDIT: What duties qualify for the Tankless Job achievement? (http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/playguide/db/achievement/b84f76c3fe3/) I feel like I've done more than enough high-level duties to get the first achievement.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 31, 2015

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

EDIT: What duties qualify for the Tankless Job achievement? (http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/playguide/db/achievement/b84f76c3fe3/) I feel like I've done more than enough high-level duties to get the first achievement.

Binding Coil (except turn 3) and extreme primals. I'm not sure if lv60 content like Alexander gives any but I'd guess so.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Alexander content does count for the Tankless Job stuff. Maybe not the 2nd one (since it's kinda turn 3 all over again) but all the rest go to that achievement.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

EponymousMrYar posted:

Alexander content does count for the Tankless Job stuff. Maybe not the 2nd one (since it's kinda turn 3 all over again) but all the rest go to that achievement.
You're confusing turn 3 with turn 4. Turn 3 was the weird maze thing, turn 4 was the waves of enemies that is similar to A2

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

No, Alex 2 is like Coil 4 which did give credit.

e;fb

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Credit for Coils/2.x Ex isn't given for unsynced runs, right?

Also, I wish you could buy stuff from the MB while talking to a retainer, because if something I'm trying to sell is being stupidly undercut, then I could just buy it and add it to my stack.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Alex 2 gives credit because I got the lion mount from a clear.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

nuru posted:

Gonna crosspost this cause im lazy:

quote:

Spiritbonding is in kind of a weird situation since made SE made level 50+ gear kind of roll over into dropping low level materia since they (understandably) didn't want to flood the market with tier IV stuff. Farming the HW vendor gear isn't really viable though, both from a cost standpoint and from the effort needed to actually SB the thing. It seems like the pre-HW areas are still the best way to spiritbind, you can power through level <50 mobs even with the holy nerf.

I actually found a spot recently that is much easier to farm as a 60 whm compared to urth's gift/fount. You're gonna want to go to Western La Noscea (15,14) and follow these steps:

http://i.imgur.com/QsZvdgi.jpg Find the group of Fresh Whelk Ballistas and jump on the green, glowing pillar in the center of them. The jump is kind of finicky but you can do it pretty easy with a mount.

http://i.imgur.com/DpaszyV.jpg From there you can cast holy and just barely hit all the stationary mobs (8) without having to move. Alternatively, you can cast assize first and pull even more mobs (10 or 11 total) from the surrounding area before holybombing. If you use assize during the pull you need to cast stone III on the one ballista that's out of holy range, but that's not that big a deal.

Then you just wait to do it again. It gives about 10% SB on l46 vendor gear with a couple of spiritbond things activated, for whatever that's worth. I'm pretty sure urth's gift is technically better on return, but what you're getting back is the ability to just hit a single button to clear the mobs. The respawn rate on the whelks is about 2:1 compared to the Saspa Shelf*s for some reason so you could maximize your spiritbonding by holybombing as soon as they come up, but honestly I just wait for assize to come up again (everything respawns shortly after) and do the full clear.

I think there's a sweetspot in terms of ilvl for converting rank IV materia but that probably requires SBing in a HW zone and that's :effort:

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

SirPhoebos posted:

Credit for Coils/2.x Ex isn't given for unsynced runs, right?

I've been pony farming from the 2.0 EX modes unsynced on my DRK a load recently and it definitely counts.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

ActionZero posted:

I've been pony farming from the 2.0 EX modes unsynced on my DRK a load recently and it definitely counts.

Oh, well that's nice.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I swear my static is cursed. Twice now in two weeks a new member has been pulled away by their old dead static that decided to stop being dead. :negative:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Thundarr posted:

I swear my static is cursed. Twice now in two weeks a new member has been pulled away by their old dead static that decided to stop being dead. :negative:

That's kind of dickish. Why do their dead statics take priority over your active one?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Prop Wash posted:

the monk quests are terrible because the main character is a guy so awful that the game writes babble instead of what he's actually saying.

LordSaturn posted:

Erik's kind of awful and the writing doesn't encourage you to sympathize with him, but Widargelt isn't really right, either. Also if you willingly talk to Erik outside of missions he's got a LOAD of dialog explaining the historical battle sites he's sending you to, just some fun bonus lore.

I like the writing style contrast between Erik and Widargelt.

Erik is a book-smart nerd, droning on and on, using :words: in grammatically complex sentences, to the point where the player character loses the ability to follow what he's saying. And yes, as LordSaturn noted, you can talk to Erik again optionally after the fact, to get the full version of the story.

Widargelt is a monk. He punches things. He uses simple words. His sentences are very short.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

^^^ All very true, but dealing with condescending book nerd and bug dumb punching machine in their quest to examine glowing spots around the world is still a real let down after completing the feel good comeback story of Master Hamon Holyfist.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

That's kind of dickish. Why do their dead statics take priority over your active one?

I can understand building relationships with people in previous statics and feeling like you might be screwing them over by moving on and then suddenly hearing they need you back. I agree that joining and then leaving a new static in such a short time is kind of dickish though. I'm trying to be cool about it but a few of the others are probably going to be pretty mad when they get the news.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 31, 2015

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Thundarr posted:

^^^ All very true, but dealing with condescending book nerd and bug dumb punching machine in their quest to examine glowing spots around the world is still a real let down after completing the feel good comeback story of Master Hamon Holyfist.

if theres anything truly annoying about class/job quests its that they never tie into each other or even acknowledge one another in the slightest outside of the class master telling you where to go to get your job crystal

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
The ninja quest involves Jacke from the rogues guild once or twice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Thundarr posted:

No dispute there. The pugilist storyline was great. So was rogue.

• Locked thread