Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Well some serious poo poo just sprung up from that Flash Annual.

And now we wait 4 months to follow up on it!

I agreed with Wally's frustration with being told platitudes in this issue. His whole life including wife is gone and his mum figure doesn't even recognise him. Being told to get on with your life in that context isn't terribly helpful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

I missed some Flash stuff and Thawne is dead, again?

Yep, Iris West blew him up with a laser gun in the future. The fact that that sentence makes sense is a fine example of why comics are great.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Flash annual was pretty good and that last page got me hype.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TwoPair posted:

Yep, Iris West blew him up with a laser gun in the future. The fact that that sentence makes sense is a fine example of why comics are great.

Appearntly not, Thawne is apparently part of the Secret Society of Supervillains right now.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Appearntly not, Thawne is apparently part of the Secret Society of Supervillains right now.

Deathstroke is its own thing that will never make sense. Priest is doing whatever he wants on his way out. He was writing some ridiculous variation of Thawne who acted like some villainous pretentious college kid and amounted to nothing.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Bendis will be writing Action and Superman (which relaunches with a new #1) after a 6-issue Superman mini. Also moving his creator owned titles to DC.

"And he is stating they will promote the books in a way that Marvel’s Icon did not."

It's hard to promote comics that come out once a year (Powers) / never (Scarlet)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I forgot Scarlet was still technically ongoing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I’m a person that still likes Bendis. But this is lovely. Tomasi leaving Superman is terrible.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm not reading either so this is exciting for me and I fully intend to catch them both, but I can certainly understand being upset by the change.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Brocktoon posted:

Bendis will be writing Action and Superman (which relaunches with a new #1) after a 6-issue Superman mini. Also moving his creator owned titles to DC.

"And he is stating they will promote the books in a way that Marvel’s Icon did not."

It's hard to promote comics that come out once a year (Powers) / never (Scarlet)

Icon is a really bad imprint though. Never seemed like Marvel knew what they were doing with it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I didn't even know icon still existed

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Brocktoon posted:

Uhhhhh...why does it need a new #1? That's stupid.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

pubic works project posted:

Uhhhhh...why does it need a new #1? That's stupid.

So it will be a valuable collector's item in the future, duh!

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Brocktoon posted:

So it will be a valuable collector's item in the future, duh!

lol yeah.

I just find it really loving stupid when both of the big 2 roll out new #1s every 6 months or so for no good reason. Half the time they revert to the original numbering anyway.

And I am not excited at all for Bendis to be writing Superman, especially after this "UP-HEAVING THE STATUS QUO! NOTHING WILL EVER BE THE SAME!!" bullshit.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

And I am not excited at all for Bendis to be writing Superman, especially after this "UP-HEAVING THE STATUS QUO! NOTHING WILL EVER BE THE SAME!!" bullshit.

To be fair I think a lot of the big characters in DC could be really helped by an up-heaving of the status quo. Not like, Superman isn't married, Wonder Woman is pregnant, 'lets drive away our customers' thing, but there's some go-tos that these comics lean on WAY too much.

It's mostly about their bad guys but sometimes their personal lives. Even in Rebirth, supposedly a reboot for some people, they have the same trend in bad guys. GL fights an evil interstellar group but finds out, whoa, it turns out the Lanterns screwed them over years ago, and now one of the GLs is threatening to quit. Teen Titans lead up to a fight with Trigon, and at some point Deathstroke decides they shouldn't be heroes.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

I'm not excited because a) Superman is the most boring superhero to me and b) I don't think he's conducive to Bendis' writing style. Bendis is terrible at huge, worldwide level events, and is much better at street-level. I was hoping he'd get a Batman book, but I guess not. Still hoping maybe he'll get a small scale Gotham Central-esque side-book.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Guess we need to wait and hear what Tomasi has to say. I also hate new #1's but it's BENDIS. I also hope they just finish Powers and he moves to new creator owned stuff from there since it's been spinning it's wheels for years.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Guess we need to wait and hear what Tomasi has to say. I also hate new #1's but it's BENDIS. I also hope they just finish Powers and he moves to new creator owned stuff from there since it's been spinning it's wheels for years.

Speaking of multiple #1's.....

I seriously don't even remember what the gently caress is happening in Powers anymore...

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Brocktoon posted:

I'm not excited because a) Superman is the most boring superhero to me and b) I don't think he's conducive to Bendis' writing style. Bendis is terrible at huge, worldwide level events, and is much better at street-level. I was hoping he'd get a Batman book, but I guess not. Still hoping maybe he'll get a small scale Gotham Central-esque side-book.

You might get your wish.

https://twitter.com/BRIANMBENDIS/status/958512918512861184

Bendis posted:

What if I were to tell you that my Daredevil run was one half of the Batman crossover and now I’m going to do the other half and you guys will be able to put it together

http://brianmichaelbendis.tumblr.com/post/170281736642/now-that-youre-moving-to-dc-any-chance-you-can

Also the solicit for DC Nation is out

quote:

DC GIVES FANS A SNEAK PEEK AT SOME OF THE HOTTEST EVENTS OF 2018 IN DC NATION #0

Twenty-Five Cent Sampler Comic Book Features Stories from DC’s Hottest Writers Available May 2

Book Includes Preview of Free DC NATION Fan Magazine, Debuting June 6

(BURBANK, CA) – (February 1, 2018) – Boasting three of the most popular writers in comics, DC is getting a jump on Free Comic Book Day (May 5) to let fans in on all the excitement in store for the World’s Greatest Super Heroes. On Wednesday, May 2, DC NATION #0, a 32-page comic book, will be available at comic book retailers at a cover price of $0.25 and free via digital download. DC NATION #0 spotlights events from three of DC’s top storytellers – Scott Snyder, Tom King and Brian Michael Bendis, all best-selling, celebrated authors.

With the unbelievable conclusion to Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo’s DARK NIGHTS: METAL paving the way for the JUSTICE LEAGUE: NO JUSTICE four-issue weekly series (with co-writers James Tynion IV, Joshua Williamson and artist Francis Manapul), fans will be clamoring for more information on what kind of wild, over the top roller-coaster ride Snyder and crew have planned next; artist Jorge Jiménez (SUPER SONS) joins him for a preview of just how big the Justice League’s next challenge will be when JUSTICE LEAGUE: NO JUSTICE begins May 9.

In a Batman story by Tom King and artist Clay Mann, The Joker gets word about the wedding between the Bat and the Cat, and he’s not happy. With the wedding story arc reaching its climax in BATMAN #50 on sale July 4, The Joker will be that one wedding guest most likely to speak now and not hold his peace at all.

From the return of the trademark red trunks to the debut of superstar writer Brian Michael Bendis in the ACTION COMICS #1000 comic book in April, the future for Superman couldn’t shine any brighter, but for fans, that’s just the tip of the super-iceberg. Bendis, along with legendary artist José Luis García-López, is also contributing an all-new story to DC NATION #0, a prelude to his highly anticipated MAN OF STEEL weekly miniseries debuting May 30.

Fans will also get a sneak preview of DC’s new promotional magazine DC NATION. The debut issue of this free, full-sized fan magazine will be the perfect place for fans to get the latest news on what’s happening at DC, arriving at comic book retailers on June 6 and available for digital download. For more news on DC, check out the website at https://www.dccomics.com or visit the DC YouTube channel.

https://t.co/A28ByqYq8M

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Oh goody I can't wait until Bendis writes half of the DC titles and fucks them all up like the Ultimate universe.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Give Bendis Red Hood.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Oh goody I can't wait until Bendis writes half of the DC titles and fucks them all up like the Ultimate universe.

What was wrong with Bendis Ultimate universe work?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I thought Ultimate fell apart because of Jeph Loeb.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Madkal posted:

What was wrong with Bendis Ultimate universe work?

I'm probably thinking of Loeb then with the Ultimate End bullshit and where they kill half of everyone.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Bendis writing a Superman book could be good but Bendis writing every Superman book in publication sounds like a miserable proposition.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JordanKai posted:

Bendis writing a Superman book could be good but Bendis writing every Superman book in publication sounds like a miserable proposition.

I do kind of wish they'd launched a new books for him (Adventures?) and left Tomasi to do his thing. But of course it's Bendis, he has to control every aspect of whatever he is doing.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Bendis will not do Superman. I forbid it. Imagine a Superman book where every panel is just words. There aren't even any drawings. Just dialog, baby. A whole conversation. The right conversation.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

Bendis will not do Superman. I forbid it. Imagine a Superman book where every panel is just words. There aren't even any drawings. Just dialog, baby. A whole conversation. The right conversation.

I mean yeah Superman won't even wear his costume for three issues but the dialogue will be great.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
That's true. The dialogue will be loving fantastic. What I'd really like to see is a story where Bendis gets Lois back to work at the Planet and we just get awesome newsroom style intrigue.

I'd probably buy the first five issues of that.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

JordanKai posted:

yeah this is how I feel. I really don't want a decade of Bendis being the only person writing Superman.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Clark and Lois is just white bread Luke and Jessica.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Let Bendis run his "giant teasers with no payoffs" circus on Superman/Action, but also give Tomasi/Gleason free reign over a series of wholesome Superdad & Family OGNs.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Space Fish posted:

Let Bendis run his "giant teasers with no payoffs" circus on Superman/Action, but also give Tomasi/Gleason free reign over a series of wholesome Superdad & Family OGNs.

Age of Ultron was teased for SO LONG. And the result...ugh...

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Holy. poo poo. I just finished the Flash Annual. That poo poo was so loving good! And the ending....!!!!!

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

To be fair, he IS Superman. Generally if you're fighting him with fists, you've already lost. Or he has, because you're using Kryptonite/magic.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tom King, at least, is excited for Bendis on Superman, as well as whatever Tomasi is up to next.

https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/959150387554025472

E: Can someone spoil the Flash annual for me?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I'm probably thinking of Loeb then with the Ultimate End bullshit and where they kill half of everyone.

He wrote Ultimate End because they were eliminating the Ultimate line already

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Flash Spoilers

Hunter Zolomon is back. ZOOM.

Also good money says Tomasi is writing Teen Titans next.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

nofather posted:

To be fair, he IS Superman. Generally if you're fighting him with fists, you've already lost. Or he has, because you're using Kryptonite/magic.

In the future all Superman comics will be a single image of Superman saying "The jokes on you. I've already won."

They will sell like gangbusters because Americans will finally have a hero they can root for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Skwirl posted:

He wrote Ultimate End because they were eliminating the Ultimate line already

Stop bringing logic into my angry arguments!