Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Mary Ellen Mark passed away yesterday. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
The "where-to-shoot-in-X" thread got old and died, so I'm just gonna ask in here--I got notice that I'm going on a surprise trip to NYC in June (11th through 14th), and the person I'm going with will be in conferences/classes for a day and a half of that, leaving me on my own. Figured it'd be a good time to wander around with a camera until my feet bleed. The hotel we're staying in is in times square apparently, but aside from the super touristy/landmarky stuff, are there any goons with suggestions of places to check out/best places to wander around? My schedule is super open, the only thing I had in mind was maybe heading down to Coney Island one day and wandering around.

TL;DR: Clueless mid-westerner looking for the most photogenic borough.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Get on top of some rooftops in every borough and shoot some people. Create zine. Don't profit but grow as a photographer.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
West village

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Shellman posted:

The "where-to-shoot-in-X" thread got old and died, so I'm just gonna ask in here--I got notice that I'm going on a surprise trip to NYC in June (11th through 14th), and the person I'm going with will be in conferences/classes for a day and a half of that, leaving me on my own. Figured it'd be a good time to wander around with a camera until my feet bleed. The hotel we're staying in is in times square apparently, but aside from the super touristy/landmarky stuff, are there any goons with suggestions of places to check out/best places to wander around? My schedule is super open, the only thing I had in mind was maybe heading down to Coney Island one day and wandering around.

TL;DR: Clueless mid-westerner looking for the most photogenic borough.

We have a NYC thread in LAN and if you ask nice people probably won't bite your head off. Bunch of dorkroomers live here and post in the NYC thread also.

What are you looking for? Coney Island is a lot less weird than it used to be, but going down there isn't a terrible idea.

You could also go out to Flushing (biggest Chinatown in the 5 boroughs, out in queens).

The FDR memorial on Roosevelt island has a beautiful view of the east river and the city and is cool.

Prospect Park is like Central Park (same people) but in Brooklyn and more neighborhoody and friendly.

Governors Island just opened and it's beautiful.

I love the section of the river between battery park and the Williamsburg bridge on the water in Manhattan.

Obviously the Manhattan neighborhoods, west village, east village, LES, Chinatown, soho, Madison sq park (take the same photo of the flatiron that a billion people have taken), Central Park, Harlem, etc.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

interview with francis bacon posted:

DS: Have you ever got anything from what’s called destructive criticism made by critics?

FB: I think that destructive criticism, especially by other artists, is certainly the most helpful criticism. Even if, when you analyze it, you may feel that it’s wrong, at least you analyze it and think about it. When people praise you, well, it’s very pleasant to be praised, but it doesn’t actually help you.
http://www.americansuburbx.com/2015/05/francis-bacon-discussing-photographs-painting-destructive-criticism-and-more.html

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
how to protect your important gear when hiking in the backcountry

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wouldn't stop a bear. :colbert:

Maybe he'll split it with you.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Man, I don't shoot a lot of film, so whenever I actually get a roll back (and remember/isn't too lazy to scan it) every shot seems amazing and all of them are keepers. The temptation to flood flickr with a bunch of mediocre shots is huge.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Geektox posted:

Man, I don't shoot a lot of film, so whenever I actually get a roll back (and remember/isn't too lazy to scan it) every shot seems amazing and all of them are keepers. The temptation to flood flickr with a bunch of mediocre shots is huge.

I feel the complete opposite. When I'm looking at viewfinder I'm feeling like "gently caress, this is some sweet ART."

Then I get the film back and everything looks like poo poo.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I found shooting with a rangefinder lowers expectations greatly, then I'm pleasantly surprised when I scan as you haven't looked through the lens to take the shot.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

xzzy posted:

Wouldn't stop a bear. :colbert:

Maybe he'll split it with you.

I like the disclaimer on Pelican cases - they'll replace your busted case *except* when the damage was caused by a bear, a shark, or a child under 5 years old.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

elgarbo posted:

I feel the complete opposite. When I'm looking at viewfinder I'm feeling like "gently caress, this is some sweet ART."

Yeah more like this for me too.

On average I probably share 2-3 shots from a roll (of 10 or 12 frames) and in hindsight probably only one of them is good.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Spedman posted:

I found shooting with a rangefinder lowers expectations greatly, then I'm pleasantly surprised when I scan as you haven't looked through the lens to take the shot.

This might be the case for me also. Leaving rolls lying around the house with no idea what's actually on them probably helps reduce expectations to zero.

deaders posted:

Yeah more like this for me too.

On average I probably share 2-3 shots from a roll (of 10 or 12 frames) and in hindsight probably only one of them is good.

That's a much better hit rate than my digital stuff, and I'd be stoked to get 2 shots out of a roll of 24 that looked like you guys' stuff on flickr.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Well with the Mamiya 7 I get 10 shots per roll and each shot costs roughly $2, so I tend to work fairly slowly when choosing scenes and composing. If it was digital it would be tempting to take 10 different shots of the same scene but I nearly always take just one, unless I think I messed up the first one for a technical reason or see something drastically better afterwards.

It varies, sometimes I just see a photo, stop, take one shot and it turns out perfectly. A lot of the time I will walk around looking at various compositions through the viewfinder, then pick one, compose it carefully, check the edges of the frame etc then take it.

Even with digital it is probably good practice to work more slowly and take 2 or 3 solid photos of the one scene instead of having to choose between 10 or 15 mediocre ones.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

a bear, a shark, or a child under 5 years old.
It's funny until you get a kid of your own.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

evil_bunnY posted:

It's funny until you get a kid of your own.

or a four year old bearshark

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

elgarbo posted:

I clearly have a better workflow than all of you: all my stuff looks like poo poo, all the time, at every stage.

I am much more consistent than you guys.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I'm so loving consistent I never have to even look at my photos to know they're poo poo. That click of the shutter release means "you suck" and the flap of the mirror is a sarcastic laugh.

It really saves on time and money - no need to develop film, no need to edit digital photos - and I strongly recommend "being totally incompetent" to the budget-conscious and time-pressed photographer.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I've put a modified A12 back on top of the current A12 back. As I take shots and wind the frame advance it feeds the shot frame into the second back that shreds it immediately.

e: Flickr's magic view needs some work. I'm almost 94% sure that my friend is not a bird

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 8, 2015

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

bobmarleysghost posted:

I've put a modified A12 back on top of the current A12 back. As I take shots and wind the frame advance it feeds the shot frame into the second back that shreds it immediately.

e: Flickr's magic view needs some work. I'm almost 94% sure that my friend is not a bird

You sure? Birds can be sneaky like that

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

I'd expect that sort of thing from a second rate search engine like Yahoo, but Google too? What's this lovely world coming to?

From the new Google Photos app's visual search for "Dog":

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

ExecuDork posted:

I'm so loving consistent I never have to even look at my photos to know they're poo poo. That click of the shutter release means "you suck" and the flap of the mirror is a sarcastic laugh.

It really saves on time and money - no need to develop film, no need to edit digital photos - and I strongly recommend "being totally incompetent" to the budget-conscious and time-pressed photographer.

Hey, it seemed to work for Vivian Maier

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Geektox posted:

I'd expect that sort of thing from a second rate search engine like Yahoo, but Google too? What's this lovely world coming to?

From the new Google Photos app's visual search for "Dog":

More bichon pics pls

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Awkward Davies posted:

More bichon pics pls

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

bobmarleysghost posted:

Depends, is your friend Kaitlin Olson?

I'll show myself out.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Here's Richard Prince talking about the process that led to the instagram portrait series, or something: http://www.pasunautre.com/prosemain...portrait-series

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Awkward Davies posted:

Here's Richard Prince talking about the process that led to the instagram portrait series, or something: http://www.pasunautre.com/prosemain...portrait-series

That's an awful lot of words that could be replaced with 'I steal photos'

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
That whole thing is bizarro world for someone with a background in music copyright, where if you sample even a fraction of an unrecognizable instant of a song and then warp it until it's unrecognizable you need to license it. It's amazing what a powerful industry light can do, especially when the primary group they're steamrolling is poor blacks.

EDIT: not to go on a rant but it's doubly frustrating to see this smug white rear end in a top hat steal work fit ~fine art~ when early hip hop artists were essentially robbed blind.

Chitin fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 12, 2015

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

A short video of Jody Rogac, in her studio, kinda talking about her photos and kinda showing her process (barely). I like the way it's shot, better than some other photographer shorts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5u4Md6KpCg

She has a nice studio.

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 13, 2015

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

bobmarleysghost posted:

A short video of Jody Rogac, in her studio, kinda talking about her photos and kinda showing her process (barely). I like the way it's shot, better than some other photographer shorts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5u4Md6KpCg

She has a nice studio.

Gowanus is a superfund site, so there's that.

It's got a whole foods now tho, so she'll probably be priced out soon.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I've got a 5D2 that I've been thinking about selling and replacing with [some other gear for gear thread], and have been looking on flickr camera explorer at what sort of quality photos people are making with the 5D compared to [other cameras], and I've discovered two things:

1.) The 5D2 still produces decent image quality relative to a lot of other high-end cameras.

2.) Scrolling through the 5D2 pool, practically every third image is the most nightmarishly overprocessed HDR monstrosity I've ever seen. And there's always something worse lurking just below the bottom edge of the screen. People really liked HDR in 2010.

1.) Makes me want to hold on to the camera I've got, 2.) makes me want to throw it in a fire, so as to prevent anyone else from using it to make more HDR nature sunsets.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 14, 2015

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Awkward Davies posted:

Gowanus is a superfund site, so there's that.

It's got a whole foods now tho, so she'll probably be priced out soon.

Interesting. That's a good point. I wonder if she'd be able to hold onto it.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I've got a 5D2 that I've been thinking about selling and replacing with [some other gear for gear thread], and have been looking on flickr camera explorer at what sort of quality photos people are making with the 5D compared to [other cameras], and I've discovered two things:

1.) The 5D2 still produces decent image quality relative to a lot of other high-end cameras.

2.) Scrolling through the 5D2 pool, practically every third image is the most nightmarishly overprocessed HDR monstrosity I've ever seen. And there's always something worse lurking just below the bottom edge of the screen. People really liked HDR in 2010.

1.) Makes me want to hold on to the camera I've got, 2.) makes me want to throw it in a fire, so as to prevent anyone else from using it to make more HDR nature sunsets.

Give it to me and I'll give you my 5d classic, it has those special tones you know. Fair trade :colbert:

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

bobmarleysghost posted:

Give it to me and I'll give you my 5d classic, it has those special tones you know. Fair trade :colbert:

My 5Dc also has the special tones. I can't really think of a reason to upgrade tbh.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Anyone watch Bending the Light? Cool looking doc getting distributed through Vimeo.

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/bendingthelight?utm_source=email&utm_medium=ondemand-bendingthelight-201505&utm_campaign=28931

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Bought a 6D so I can start roping my wife into shooting with me and so I have a backup. It begins.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
photography.png

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
I accidentally put two AA rechargeable batteries through the washer and dryer, and set them aside out of mild curiosity separate from my other batteries. And then I was packing up for a trip and I forgot I washed them, so I threw the washed batteries in with the rest of my batteries. I don't know which is which now. It's like Russian Roulette.

And that 6d I bought shipped from Kansas, scanned in in Iowa, then scanned in to Cincinnati, then scanned in... in Iowa again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
I have a 5D3 and miss my 5D1 sometimes.

But I could also be brain damaged I dunno.