Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

New strategy: hang out at Khaosan Road looking for dejected white people who don't have enough money, and make them a cash offer they can't refuse.. sexually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007

XyrlocShammypants posted:

New strategy: hang out at Khaosan Road looking for dejected white people who don't have enough money, and make them a cash offer they can't refuse.. sexually

Just buy them a schwarma. Then give them your schwarma.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Potential problem: they might smell

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

caberham posted:

:laffo: :laffo: :laffo: How loving broke do you have to be, settling for $5 USD an hour? We almost had a China goon settling for a 2000 RMB / month job. Which worked out to be 11 RMB / hour or $1.84/hr.

Man living and getting used to SEA makes traveling elsewhere hard. Everywhere else is too expensive :iamafag:

The metric I use when assessing any job is "how many beers can I buy locally with an hours wages". By that metric, $5 an hour in Cambodia is the equivalent of about $30 an hour in my European home country. Three pints for an hours work isn't great, but isn't terrible either.

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?

retpocileh posted:

This might be the wrong place to ask but figured I'd give it a shot. We're almost 2 months into our trip around SEA and my gf is running low on money. We're trying to make it one more month, and we're currently traveling through Vietnam and probably heading to Cambodia next. I have enough money to mostly support us but it's gonna be really tight. Do you guys have any ideas for how she can make a little money along the way without a huge commitment, either in person or online?

Joker Draw at The Walkabout.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Plan: Make a fake website showing that you're some awesome DJ from New York City or Los Angeles. Fill your macbook with a bunch of club songs. Dress really slutty and try to convince a club to let you DJ one night.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Sell Santa hats.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Tytan posted:

Joker Draw at The Walkabout.
That's an obvious choice regardless of monetary needs.

Math Debater
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
Welp, I'm in Bangkok now for the TESOL course + job placement thingy that I signed up for. Then I'll head to Hua Hin on Monday and spend a month there. I'm living with a roommate who's also in the same program with me and will also be living with this same roommate in Hua Hin. I'm currently feeling very anxious about this whole situation and really hope my roommate doesn't end up hating me. He seems like a pretty nice and easygoing and likeable guy, and I hope he'll be tolerant of my awkwardness and neuroticism! And I hope this TESOL stuff won't be too stressful! Yeah, uh, I'll just try to relax and not worry too much and try to enjoy myself and also try to take solace in the fact that I can go back to the U.S. any time I want to. I suppose I'm also hopeful that my experiences in Southeast Asia will expand my consciousness and help me grow as a person. I just wish I could be all relaxed and chilled out like so many of the posters in this thread seem to be!

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.
I just got to Bangkok after a week in Sweden and the temperature difference is pretty hilarious. Sweating my balls off here!!!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
If you are in Bangkok now and want beers tonight, let me know.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Math Debater posted:

Welp, I'm in Bangkok now for the TESOL course + job placement thingy that I signed up for. Then I'll head to Hua Hin on Monday and spend a month there. I'm living with a roommate who's also in the same program with me and will also be living with this same roommate in Hua Hin. I'm currently feeling very anxious about this whole situation and really hope my roommate doesn't end up hating me. He seems like a pretty nice and easygoing and likeable guy, and I hope he'll be tolerant of my awkwardness and neuroticism! And I hope this TESOL stuff won't be too stressful! Yeah, uh, I'll just try to relax and not worry too much and try to enjoy myself and also try to take solace in the fact that I can go back to the U.S. any time I want to. I suppose I'm also hopeful that my experiences in Southeast Asia will expand my consciousness and help me grow as a person. I just wish I could be all relaxed and chilled out like so many of the posters in this thread seem to be!
What part of town are you in now?

HelixFox posted:

I just got to Bangkok after a week in Sweden and the temperature difference is pretty hilarious. Sweating my balls off here!!!
Go recharge your Swedishness in air conditioning with lingonberry jam and meatballs and things. Let the sight of containerized living calm you:

http://www.ikea.com/th/en/store/bangna/indexPage

EDIT: May work for non-Swedes as well.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Aug 29, 2014

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

Hua Hin is lovely. Do yourself a favor and do not find a girlfriend here. Trust me.

Not sure when you'll be arriving here, but a big group of people are going to a food festival tomorrow night, so that would be a good place to make friends.

Soi 80 has one nice bar (Dragon Bar) where the girls are not super obvious prostitutes. Our usual teacher hangout is Monica Bar on soi 88 or Click if we want to dance. Relax man, you're in Thailand. It's easy to survive here.

Math Debater
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm staying on South Sathorn Road, near the Surasak BTS station.

And yeah, Hua Hin seems very lovely. And I probably won't be trying to find a girlfriend. But, uh, yeah, I'll just try to relax and be as easygoing as I can.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Instructions for chilling:

1) Leave abode.
2) Go to Saphan Thaksin BTS Station, one station West of you.
3) Exit toward river.
4) Take a left as you approach the river and follow the signs to the Chao Phraya Express Boat.
5) Stand in the queue on the right, have 15 Baht ready (or a 20 Baht note).
6) Take first boat with orange flag astern (not blue!).
7) Enter the boat (don't stand at the back like an rear end in a top hat tourist) and stand on the city side. Watch river life go by.
8) Alight at a pier with a relaxing looking restaurant.
9) Enter restaurant.
10) Order beer and food.
11) Order more beer.
12) Problem solved.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Heads up, Malaysia Airlines just launched a massive fare sale, Singapore-every single city in SEA via KL is selling for $50 roundtrip in October.

Who knows how long this will last so book now..

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Gail Wynand posted:

Heads up, Malaysia Airlines just launched a massive fare sale, Singapore-every single city in SEA via KL is selling for $50 roundtrip in October.

Who knows how long this will last so book now..

What's with all these airline specials lately... Cathay just did a 15 USD special to all sorts of places, 150,000 got sold out in no time

Math Debater posted:

Welp, I'm in Bangkok now for the TESOL course + job placement thingy that I signed up for. Then I'll head to Hua Hin on Monday and spend a month there. I'm living with a roommate who's also in the same program with me and will also be living with this same roommate in Hua Hin. I'm currently feeling very anxious about this whole situation and really hope my roommate doesn't end up hating me. He seems like a pretty nice and easygoing and likeable guy, and I hope he'll be tolerant of my awkwardness and neuroticism!

Good luck with your program!

Have you lived with a room mate before? Don't worry too much about being awkward. Focus on work, be friendly, smile often, and respect his personal space. As long as you are independent and not a drunken gently caress up then you are fine.

quote:

And I hope this TESOL stuff won't be too stressful! Yeah, uh, I'll just try to relax and not worry too much and try to enjoy myself and also try to take solace in the fact that I can go back to the U.S. any time I want to.
I suppose I'm also hopeful that my experiences in Southeast Asia will expand my consciousness and help me grow as a person. I just wish I could be all relaxed and chilled out like so many of the posters in this thread seem to be!

Being a working responsible adult will make you grow as a person. Having a "normal" lifestyle also helps. It's just that being put in a foreign land kind of forces you to be in that position because your home support networks are a bajillion miles away. So in a weird way you are force to figure out things on your own. Lots of people come to SEA, for all sorts of reasons, but in no way does that mean they will come out better at the end. Some people just blow their money on booze or constant partying.

Heck, that's why lots of places back home don't consider most English teaching as any professional experience and more of a vacation. Vacations are cool though. Worst comes worse, you can see if there are any mosquitoes in Bangkok :downsrim:

caberham fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Aug 29, 2014

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Math Debater posted:

I suppose I'm also hopeful that my experiences in Southeast Asia will expand my consciousness and help me grow as a person. I just wish I could be all relaxed and chilled out like so many of the posters in this thread seem to be!

Having a bit of anxiety moving to a new place for work is normal. Once you are more familiar with the environment, it's much harder to be intimidated by it.

Please never stop posting in this thread and keep us up to date.

Math Debater
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
I briefly stepped out of my hotel and had a lot of fun just walking around through the streets and looking at all of the cool little shops and eating establishments. I almost got hit by a motorbike, and it was pretty funny hearing the driver say "woah!" And I bought 8 bottles of water for 40 baht at a place called Fresh Mart. I think I'm going to go out and walk around some more after I finish making this post. And yeah, the roommate seems like a really nice guy and I'm feeling pretty confident at this point that it won't be difficult to get along with him.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
You're in my old neighborhood, MD. Read this thing for some stuff to see near your apartment: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3260679&pagenumber=62#post393768744

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Math Debater posted:

I briefly stepped out of my hotel and had a lot of fun just walking around through the streets and looking at all of the cool little shops and eating establishments. I almost got hit by a motorbike, and it was pretty funny hearing the driver say "woah!"

I basically did exactly this just now as well, including nearly getting run over, haha. I found MBK and had a pretty nice meal at the food court there while listening to some live music. Probably quite a bit more expensive than street food, but still less than half the price of getting a takeaway in the UK, so it's all good :)

I'm a bit disappointed that I haven't been attacked by swarms of malarial mosquitoes and Thai people offering me poisonous ice yet, though.

The Aguamoose
Jan 10, 2006
"Yes, I remember the Aguamoose..."
I spent 6 months in SEA this year and had a whale of a time. Now I'm back I'm having a bit of a party and want to give my friends the opportunity to 'enjoy' some of the music they played everywhere in Laos and Cambodia. Can anyone point me in the right direction of where to get some of it? I have no idea what any of it is called much less where to find it. The Cambodian song which suddenly cuts out and has a donkey braying is a particular favourite I would love to find.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

ReindeerF posted:

Instructions for chilling:

Yeah, I'm gonna do this.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Quick note on the Chao Phraya Express Boat. It's the only drat thing in town that runs on time and it's to the minute. The last boat from either end leaves at 19:00 on the nose and the orange flag takes almost exactly one hour (give or take five minutes) to make the trip. Discussions about other lines get complex, but you can visit their web site and figure it out.

The important point is, they stop at 19:00 and they run exactly on time, so if you're out later you'll need to catch a taxi or bus or something.

Math Debater
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
I had a lot more fun in Bangkok after my last post in this thread! I did more walking around and exploring, and I went and took the BTS from Surasak to Sala Daeng. I walked around outside and found a place to exchange my last remaining U.S. dollars for baht. Then I walked around in Silom Complex and loving gorged myself dining by myself at Tha Siam. Then I topped off my meal with one of the most decadent desserts I have ever had in my entire life at the Taruto Ginza Dessert Cafe: The Banana Choco Pancake! This epic dessert consisted of a chopped up banana, two pancakes with syrup, a scoop of vanilla ice cream, and a scoop of chocolate ice cream, and all of this was coated with some yummy chocolate powder. So, uh, yeah, I'm definitely on the road to obesity if I keep on eating like this in Thailand!

I think I'll probably do that river thingy ReindeerF suggested before I leave Bangkok. I've gotten a few hours of sleep, but now I'm going to go back out to see if there's anywhere I can buy toilet paper and any other cool stuff going on in Bangkok at 3:40 am!

Edit: Thanks to 7-11, my attempt to buy toilet paper was successful. But I had to make two trips because I accidentally bought paper towels the first time! But that's okay because I was able to get some sodas and it was really fun to walk through the city so early in the morning. It's still really early, but I took a caffeine pill and I'm really excited about spending another day wandering around and hanging out in this super groovy city! I just hope my roommate isn't too pissed that I've been scurrying about so early. Hopefully he'll appreciate the toilet paper and paper towels I bought.

Math Debater fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 29, 2014

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

This morning I farted.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Ssme

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

This morning I farted.

putting this on my SEA to-do list as well

Probably doing river boat sightseeing/lunch on... Tuesday, I guess, if anybody else in Bangkok wanted to hang out. Or I can do Sunday or Monday evening but I don't know where to go get a drink around here yet so someone would have to tell me where to get myself to.

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Sounds like there's a heavy goon presence in Bangkok at the moment. I don't have any concrete plans for the next few days so I'm down for hanging out or beers whenever. Might be around on Tuesday, Chantilly Say.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Math Debater posted:

Then I topped off my meal with one of the most decadent desserts I have ever had in my entire life at the Taruto Ginza Dessert Cafe: The Banana Choco Pancake! This epic dessert consisted of a chopped up banana, two pancakes with syrup, a scoop of vanilla ice cream, and a scoop of chocolate ice cream, and all of this was coated with some yummy chocolate powder. So, uh, yeah, I'm definitely on the road to obesity if I keep on eating like this in Thailand!

You are all set for the banana pancake trail then!

Math Debater
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
I took that orange express river boat today, got off at a spot near the end of the boat route (near a bridge, I think?), went into a physical therapy hospital to use their restroom, and have gotten myself lost in Bangkok wandering through the various streets! At one point, I got barked at and followed around by a scary and aggressive-seeming dog, which was a frightening experience, but I was fortunate enough to have not been touched by the dog. I'm currently posting at an Internet cafe called Triple D. I'm thinking about trying to walk back towards the river, but I might ask a meter taxi to take me to the Victory Monument, where I can use the BTS from there.

And yeah, I think I've probably farted multiple times today too!

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

I'm in loving China. Shanghai. Why am I in Shanghai?

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Math Debater posted:

I took that orange express river boat today, got off at a spot near the end of the boat route (near a bridge, I think?), went into a physical therapy hospital to use their restroom, and have gotten myself lost in Bangkok wandering through the various streets! At one point, I got barked at and followed around by a scary and aggressive-seeming dog, which was a frightening experience, but I was fortunate enough to have not been touched by the dog. I'm currently posting at an Internet cafe called Triple D. I'm thinking about trying to walk back towards the river, but I might ask a meter taxi to take me to the Victory Monument, where I can use the BTS from there.

And yeah, I think I've probably farted multiple times today too!
Great job. You're quickly becoming a Bangkok pro. Next up, this evening you'll want to savor some of the exotic nightlife options Bangkok has to offer. I recommend Nana Entertainment Plaza at BTS Nana.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Math Debater is too weird for Nana.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Remember to check if any girls you are talking to are in fact boys!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

I'm in loving China. Shanghai. Why am I in Shanghai?

For how long? There are a few Shanghai lurker goons, but cool dudes.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Remember to check if any girls you are talking to are in fact boys!
Like I always say, check under the hood before you drive the car off the lot.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

caberham posted:

For how long? There are a few Shanghai lurker goons, but cool dudes.

Unfortunately 2 days, and then I go to Hong Kong for a week and back to the US.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Dada is a really awesome club in Shanghai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Unfortunately 2 days, and then I go to Hong Kong for a week and back to the US.

:tviv:

You should come hang out with the HK goon crew. We will throw you a welcome party. Is Tuesday good? My line/wechat is caberham

Gail Wynand posted:

Dada is a really awesome club in Shanghai.

:henget: