Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Shiba Inus live for about 12-15 years, and I'm guessing Koro was about 4-5 by the end of P3? He's getting up there, but he should still have plenty left in the engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Starting up SMTIV. Seems pretty self-explanatory thus far, but will it directly list my Law/Chaos score down the road? I'm assuming yes, because otherwise that will take maintaining a certain level (slightly chaos before the final decision) a little troublesome. I'm only 40 minutes in but I figured I'd ask anyway.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'd also like to know if that's the case, because I feel like I'm leaning towards Law but have no idea how far, and I'd really like to get Neutral. I was keeping track of it for a while but the values in the guide I was using were apparently inaccurate.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

No, you'll never see an actual value. Once you get to Shibuya (I think, or Ikebukuro) you can go into bars and talk to a patron who will give a statement indicating which path you are on currently (ex. "Hard to get a read on" is Neutral), but that's the best you'll get.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Alignments in SMTIV are a fickle thing in that sometimes it's tough to really tell what could end you up on what side and by the time you know, you're trying to actively to get what you want. If you're going for a specific alignment you're better off looking up what choices do what to alignments, even things you say in the middle of boss fights can have an effect on your alignment.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The only route on which you'd need to keep track is Neutral though, the choices for Law and Chaos are kind of obvious and is easy to leaning on one of those alignments.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Do note that due to the way the final alignment choices work, it is entirely possible to be "too neutral" to get the neutral ending. Yes, that makes no sense at all. Yes, it's kind of annoying.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The OP for the game mentions getting 5 Law points at the end (I'm assuming this is the red button decision in the FAQ), and then the one after that is +10/-10. So all told you will either be -5 or +15? Wouldn't slightly Law be the safest then? Rather than slightly Chaos which is what I heard a lot. Unless the +5 is from something else.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I don't know the exact values but is recommended to slightly lean to chaos since the last option it gives you laws points no matter what you do. I managed to get Neutral on my first playthrough bouncing between the two alignments, but maybe I just got lucky :v:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
To put it simply, is the automatic +5 before or after the +10/-10 decision? If it's after and just not listed in the Alignment FAQ, that would make it easy to do +5/-10/+5 and cancel out the last three decisions effectively.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Nate RFB posted:

To put it simply, is the automatic +5 before or after the +10/-10 decision? If it's after and just not listed in the Alignment FAQ, that would make it easy to do +5/-10/+5 and cancel out the last three decisions effectively.

Before.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I guess the math doesn't work out perfectly or something to get to that point in the first place, but why skew Chaos then? Seems like it'd be easier to be slightly Law and then do +5 and -10.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Because there are more law mandate 'choices' and you might be too law to achieve Neutral.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nate RFB posted:

I guess the math doesn't work out perfectly or something to get to that point in the first place, but why skew Chaos then? Seems like it'd be easier to be slightly Law and then do +5 and -10.

After a certain point, you get a bunch of mandatory choices that should all cancel out, including the +5 Law in the end. The optional choices are the ones that give more Law points than Chaos points, iirc. I was leaning Chaos going in, picked the Law leaning choices, and then went -10 in the end to get neutral. I also did the opposite in a second playthrough not really planning on getting neutral but was able to get it again anyway.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Merry Christmas, Famitsu posted some sample tracks for PQ:
Persona 3 Protagonist route battle music:
http://eb-dl.pod.tv/sound/131226_personaq01.wav

Dungeon music:
http://eb-dl.pod.tv/sound/131226_personaq02.wav

The battle music is more what you'd expect from a Persona game, while that dungeon track is more EO-ish.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

TurnipFritter posted:

Merry Christmas, Famitsu posted some sample tracks for PQ:
Persona 3 Protagonist route battle music:
http://eb-dl.pod.tv/sound/131226_personaq01.wav

Dungeon music:
http://eb-dl.pod.tv/sound/131226_personaq02.wav

The battle music is more what you'd expect from a Persona game, while that dungeon track is more EO-ish.

Those both sound great! I'm actually looking forward to this game, or at least the soundtrack.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
You know, is the fact that the P3 MC should be dead at that point in time going to be a plot device? They have to do something with it. It could even set up for Elizabeth(and Theo?) leaving the Velvet Room since by that point the MC is dead, yet here he is alive.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Persona Q isn't canon as far as I'm aware. Plus the P3 cast gets brought in from the middle of their game, so it probably isn't going to be a factor at all.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Butt Ghost posted:

Persona Q isn't canon as far as I'm aware. Plus the P3 cast gets brought in from the middle of their game, so it probably isn't going to be a factor at all.

The persona users are going to forget, but the velvet room attendants and Aigis won't. That's how it always works.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Perhaps, but how is that relevant to Minato and Shinjiro's fates?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Butt Ghost posted:

Perhaps, but how is that relevant to Minato and Shinjiro's fates?

It's time travel. If you kill Minato before he becomes the great seal, suddenly The Fall does happen. If a bad guy is trying to bring about the fall again, why not try killing him before he becomes too powerful to handle? You could probably spin it a couple other ways, but that would be a thing to try.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

OH okay. I wasn't sure what you were trying to get at. Yeah, that could happen.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Dehry posted:

The persona users are going to forget, but the velvet room attendants and Aigis won't. That's how it always works.

That would mean that Aigis was just being a dick when she didn't recognize Teddie and tried to terminate him for being a shadow in P4A. Actually, that sounds like an improvement to her character.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNDum2gjeH4

New Persona Q trailer

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Holy poo poo, I spotted a reference to Catherine in that trailer.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

E: It's a dummy, I kept stopping the video after his head gets blown off.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
How do you figure out alignments in Nocturne? I'm encountering more demons asking/begging to join me and one even forcefully joined my party. I'm mostly grinding right now, but I'm not sure if my party layout is neutral right now, since I'm always adding new ones and swapping constantly. I have one permanent law party member, but I'm still not sure where my alignment lies.

Also, in SMTIV, how did Steven get into the Amala Network, or is the white space not the Amala Network?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Dehry posted:

E: It's a dummy, I kept stopping the video after his head gets blown off.

Is just a cute nod and ATLUS loving with us, right? There's no way Catherine and the P3/P4 'verse are directly connected, yes?

Cute trailer and looks like the game is gonna be fun and kind of lightehearted.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Is just a cute nod and ATLUS loving with us, right? There's no way Catherine and the P3/P4 'verse are directly connected, yes?

Cute trailer and looks like the game is gonna be fun and kind of lightehearted.

Vincent showed up in P3P as well.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
I got P3 FES this week and have played ~8 hours so far. I gotta say, it's a fairly pretty game. I don't see how it would be better to play a really uggo version of it with no cut-sceens just to have fast travel, full party control, and be able to play as a girl. Sure fast travel is nice, sure full control is nice. I can see it being better for a second play through, but I don't see how you would recommend it for a first play. Unless you don't care as much about the story (which is Persona's main draw). I really wish I could be playing FES on my Vita, but I don't think its worth making it an point and click game with no animations. Am I nuts? I'm saying all this having only seen screenshots of P3P.

Also, does "The Answer" have much more story? Or is it really just a dungeon crawl with no purpose? I'll probably skip it if it's the latter.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

uncleKitchener posted:

How do you figure out alignments in Nocturne? I'm encountering more demons asking/begging to join me and one even forcefully joined my party. I'm mostly grinding right now, but I'm not sure if my party layout is neutral right now, since I'm always adding new ones and swapping constantly. I have one permanent law party member, but I'm still not sure where my alignment lies.

Also, in SMTIV, how did Steven get into the Amala Network, or is the white space not the Amala Network?

Nocturne doesn't do the law/chaos axis, it has its own deal. Pick whatever demons you like for your party.

There is no Amala Network in any game but Nocturne.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

This trailer is obviously telling us that you can use Vincent in battle.

It's also good to know the P4 cast will be JoJoing it up.

edit:

I really love this face Shinjiro's got going on.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 27, 2013

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.

ddogflex posted:

Also, does "The Answer" have much more story? Or is it really just a dungeon crawl with no purpose? I'll probably skip it if it's the latter.

There are brief cutscenes between loooooong stretches of dungeon.

Crab Destroyer
Sep 3, 2011

ddogflex posted:

I got P3 FES this week and have played ~8 hours so far. I gotta say, it's a fairly pretty game. I don't see how it would be better to play a really uggo version of it with no cut-sceens just to have fast travel, full party control, and be able to play as a girl. Sure fast travel is nice, sure full control is nice. I can see it being better for a second play through, but I don't see how you would recommend it for a first play. Unless you don't care as much about the story (which is Persona's main draw). I really wish I could be playing FES on my Vita, but I don't think its worth making it an point and click game with no animations. Am I nuts?

When I was playing through FES and it was still new and shiny I had similar thoughts and the short answer is you're probably too early on the game to make a good judgement.

Before the 3rd full moon Tartarus is a fun way to spend Evenings and the pacing with your party members tiring out feels appropriate. Later though it feels like a slog as you find yourself re-exploring 10 floors because your party almost wiped due to the AI deciding to heal when they have the only elemental advantage against the enemy. The change to the way downing works is a double edged sword but overall it's better to hold off on an all out attack to make your enemy dizzy then to get wiped because there is literally no Defend action.

There are also a lot of changes that in isolation are so minor nobody mentions them, like being able to check what a persona's skills do before you finish fusing it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Crab Destroyer posted:

When I was playing through FES and it was still new and shiny I had similar thoughts and the short answer is you're probably too early on the game to make a good judgement.

Before the 3rd full moon Tartarus is a fun way to spend Evenings and the pacing with your party members tiring out feels appropriate. Later though it feels like a slog as you find yourself re-exploring 10 floors because your party almost wiped due to the AI deciding to heal when they have the only elemental advantage against the enemy. The change to the way downing works is a double edged sword but overall it's better to hold off on an all out attack to make your enemy dizzy then to get wiped because there is literally no Defend action.

There are also a lot of changes that in isolation are so minor nobody mentions them, like being able to check what a persona's skills do before you finish fusing it.

I never had too many problems on FES with the tiring mechanic since I used to do all the floors on a segment at once. I was having too much fun with the SL to lost time on Tartarus.

I don't know if I was lucky as gently caress but also never had trouble with the AI healing the enemy or wasting turns, once that I unlocked all the commands the game was kind of easy.

And yes, P3P is really hurt by the lack of animations and I never felt too invested on the Girl route.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I stopped caring about the lack of animations really early into P3P, because the female route gets rid of so much of the stupid bullshit inherent to the male one I couldn't imagine going back,

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

For what it's worth I beat FES and The Answer on hard difficulty and had a really fun time, then when I tried to play P3P I was turned off for the exact reason you stated.

Like, I get that it's largely a cosmetic difference, but the jump from "moving my character around a 3D world" to "menu-based screen transitions" completely tanked the game for me.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Here's a subbed version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiuP_nOYviM

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

This is nearly a month late, but in the P4A2 tournament intro thing, you can see Sho pop up for a split second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

fount of knowledge posted:

For what it's worth I beat FES and The Answer on hard difficulty and had a really fun time, then when I tried to play P3P I was turned off for the exact reason you stated.

Like, I get that it's largely a cosmetic difference, but the jump from "moving my character around a 3D world" to "menu-based screen transitions" completely tanked the game for me.

I found it difficult to get into it as well and also prefer FES.
I've tried to start P3P multiple times now but give up near the beginning.