Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Moonbloodsflow posted:

From what I have read I believe the PRO version with the 970 has a better screen? Correct me if I'm wrong?

I'm not really sure what kind of screen the non-pro version comes with, but the screen on my pro looks really great. Documentation is kind of poor, so I'm honestly not sure exactly what kind of screen it is. They just call it a 15.6 FHD Anti-Glare Screen on the MSI website. It looks fantastic though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
The Microsoft website has the ASUS UX305 on sale. It is $599 down from $699 for the signature edition if anyone is interested. The code is listed on the page.

B-Mac fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 29, 2015

Chaplin
Sep 24, 2006
That's really tempting on the UX305. Do Microsoft stores typically have it in store to play with? Wife needs a new laptop as her new school doesn't provide one.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I wanted to play with one too. My local MS store only has the UX303 on display (and stock).

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

My Thinkpad T540p has four hotkeys above the numpad. One of them opens Explorer (defaults to This PC). Is there a way to change the directory it opens?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I'm in the market for a new laptop. I'm currently using a second-hand Asus N53SV, which overheats, is heavy, gets terrible battery life, and doesn't have a pro graphics card. It does have a 256GB SSD, so it's usable, but most of my work files have to live on the 750GB HDD.

My usage: AutoCAD and SolidWorks, OrCAD for business (along with Quickbooks, which is a RAM hog). 20+ tabs of Chrome, lots of video playback.
Budget: $1500 or so.
I'd like a High-res 14" Screen, but it looks like that's not really available with the Quadro graphics and i7 except in the X1 Carbon, and I don't need a machine that thin.

I'm leaning toward the new W550S, with the 3K screen. I'll invest in a couple of external monitors in a few months, but I've got 2x22" IPS 1080 displays right now. I'm hearing conflicting things about putting an SSD in the M2 slot, but that's the way I'd like to go. 1TB SSD, plus a 1TB HDD should suit my needs very well.

Anything that I'm missing? I know the ULV i7's aren't really i7's, but I'll have to deal with it. I'm not buying an MSI or HP. Is there supposed to be a regular W550 on the horizon?

daishan14
Mar 6, 2004
I am in the market for a new laptop to take with me to work for gaming purposes. I sold my 11" Macbook air that I was using for Diablo 3, and I am looking for something with a bit more screen space. I was looking at the new XPS 13" from dell, but for a similar price I saw the Sager NP7339 that was just released. It would let me play some beefier games than the Dell. I guess what I am looking for are opinions on Sager. Anyone owned one?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

sharkytm posted:

Anything that I'm missing? I know the ULV i7's aren't really i7's, but I'll have to deal with it. I'm not buying an MSI or HP. Is there supposed to be a regular W550 on the horizon?

You'd be better off either just saving some cash and getting a ULV i5, or going up to a system with a quad core i7.

Anyway the W541 appears to be basically what a W550 would be anyway - it has the new mouse buttons and not a lot else changed anyway

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Seamonster posted:

I wanted to play with one too. My local MS store only has the UX303 on display (and stock).

I'm super happy with mine, got it a week ago.

Only niggle is that the touchpad scrolling is either superfast or slow, it's not the easiest to control.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

B-Mac posted:

The Microsoft website has the ASUS UX305 on sale. It is $599 down from $699 for the signature edition if anyone is interested. The code is listed on the page.
Are there any non-Microsoft brick and mortar stores that have this? It does not have to be the exact model. I just want to see the body style, feel the keyboard, etc. Best Buy did not have one.

How would it handle Microsoft Office tasks? I mean like big rear end spreadsheets (thousands of rows and ~30 columns) and running 2 or 3 at a time? I would using an external monitor as well. I have a 2010 13.3" Macbook Pro which was awesome when I just used it for basic stuff, but Office is horrendous on it.

Can I buy this and return it to the Microsoft B&M store? There is one like an hour away.

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 13:34 on May 30, 2015

Chaplin
Sep 24, 2006
We lucked out and had both the UX303 and 305 in store. The wife liked it so we picked it up. She just does teacher stuff and Pintrest so I think it will be enough for that. Color is a bit... plumish? That was our only reservation. The screen is matte vs gloss if that matters. There was a stark contrast between the glossy 303 and the matte 305.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
My "media" laptop recently died (a 2008 Gateway FX series), so I replaced it with a circa-2011 Asus that was previously for mobile gaming. In its place, I shopped around and ended up picking up an MSI GE60 Apache Pro-867--sort of a "mid-level" gaming platform that can handle pretty much everything I want to throw at it, including GTA V. I've been really happy with it, but the only thing is, this thing seems to run hot, even when playing games like Sanctum 2 and Serious Sam TFE/TSE HD on "ultra".

I noticed that the GE60/62 platforms have been mentioned previously in this thread, but does anybody have any real experience with these laptops? I shopped around and ordered a relatively popular Thermaltake laptop cooling pad (which has a 160mm fan) to pair with it, but I was wondering if people have had legitimate heat/noise problems with these laptops, or if they just tend to run really warm when gaming.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

My "media" laptop recently died (a 2008 Gateway FX series), so I replaced it with a circa-2011 Asus that was previously for mobile gaming. In its place, I shopped around and ended up picking up an MSI GE60 Apache Pro-867--sort of a "mid-level" gaming platform that can handle pretty much everything I want to throw at it, including GTA V. I've been really happy with it, but the only thing is, this thing seems to run hot, even when playing games like Sanctum 2 and Serious Sam TFE/TSE HD on "ultra".

I noticed that the GE60/62 platforms have been mentioned previously in this thread, but does anybody have any real experience with these laptops? I shopped around and ordered a relatively popular Thermaltake laptop cooling pad (which has a 160mm fan) to pair with it, but I was wondering if people have had legitimate heat/noise problems with these laptops, or if they just tend to run really warm when gaming.

I've only had my GE62 for a couple of weeks, but it doesn't really get that hot. The power brick actually get's hotter than the laptop. My old HP G62 got REALLY hot though, so maybe that's skewing my opinion a bit. The fan can be pretty noisy when you're playing something graphically intensive. That can get a little annoying sometimes. When I'm using it on the couch, I use a "Logitech Speaker Lapdesk N700" with a little cooling fan, but that's more for comfort than cooling.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I'm thinking about getting a HP Spectre x360 8gb/256gb/i5 to replace my Pixel and desktop. Okay idea, or am I taking a risk getting a new-model laptop that costs that much?

edit: I'm interested as I can get it from Best Buy for ~$850 after coupons and rewards.

IuniusBrutus fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 31, 2015

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

IuniusBrutus posted:

I'm thinking about getting a HP Spectre x360 8gb/256gb/i5 to replace my Pixel and desktop. Okay idea, or am I taking a risk getting a new-model laptop that costs that much?

edit: I'm interested as I can get it from Best Buy for ~$850 after coupons and rewards.

My friend has a last-gen spectre (2013 Haswell model) and the thing is actually pretty great. Very solidly built, great keyboard and screen, no flex on etc.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

My friend has a last-gen spectre (2013 Haswell model) and the thing is actually pretty great. Very solidly built, great keyboard and screen, no flex on etc.

I was researching the hell out of these and this is basically what the research turned up. The new gen one apparently had a good amount of attention paid to the hinge too.

Go into a bestbuy, luniusbrutus, and dick with one. It feels great.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Psyker posted:

Go in...and dick with one. It feels great.

hehehehehehehehe

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

My brother is living out of the country for the foreseeable future and away from his gaming PC, so he's looking for a gaming laptop.

We found an ACER w/ an i7 4720HQ @ 2.6GHz, 16GB of RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB spinning disk, and a GTX 960M w/ 4GB RAM

vs.

A Dell/Alienware w/ slightly slower CPU (i7 4710HQ @ 2.5GHz), less RAM (8GB), no SSD, but a GTX 970M with 3GB RAM.

They cost the same.
He'll just be playing stuff at the native 1080p (no external display).
Is the 970M waaaaay better than the 960M? Does it justify giving up all of the other benefits of the Acer?
Are these both terrible choices for some reason that I'm not seeing?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Does the GE60 only have 1 fan? I know a lot of people on the Notebook Review forums were excited about the GE62 because :siren:2 FANS!:siren:

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Is there a good list of common bloatware on Lenovo laptops? Like, a list that says what is 100% safe to remove? I'm going through the programs on my new Thinkpad Yoga now and I've uninstalled the most obvious ones. Just wanna make sure I don't nuke anything important in the process.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

What I did was just google them and decide from there. I don't think there's one list since some of it is subjective depending on your needs.

Sir Pukesalot
Nov 3, 2012

Lawen posted:

Is the 970M waaaaay better than the 960M? Does it justify giving up all of the other benefits of the Acer?

Yes he can always buy more ram, and an SSD when he gets some more money.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Lawen posted:

My brother is living out of the country for the foreseeable future and away from his gaming PC, so he's looking for a gaming laptop.

We found an ACER w/ an i7 4720HQ @ 2.6GHz, 16GB of RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB spinning disk, and a GTX 960M w/ 4GB RAM

vs.

A Dell/Alienware w/ slightly slower CPU (i7 4710HQ @ 2.5GHz), less RAM (8GB), no SSD, but a GTX 970M with 3GB RAM.

They cost the same.
He'll just be playing stuff at the native 1080p (no external display).

Way way way WAAAAAY better.

Get the alienware and install a CPU aftermarket.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Isn't there a goon on here that was the Clevo/Sager P650se with the 970m?

Curious as to how that's working out for him...

It's got a gently caress of a cooling setup:

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 2, 2015

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
confirming that Clevo/Sager cooling solutions are baller as gently caress

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I'm in the market for a gaming laptop and I'm looking to spend $900-1100. It would be replacing my circa-2007 Acer gaming laptop that has served me well. I'm interested in moving up to a 17", but could be talked down from that for a superior-performing 15".

At the absolute top of my range, I found this Acer and it's one of the least expensive models I found with an IPS display, which seems to be preferable from what I've read.

At the bottom of my range, I found this Lenovo, which seems to be as low as I can go and still get 17" and a dedicated graphics card. I saw less expensive Z-Series Lenovos, but my reading seems to suggest that they aren't meant forgaming and have cooling issues.

The games that I will be playing are not particularly taxing. I currently play WoW and Civ 5 mostly, and I am looking to start Cities Skyline and Civilization Beyond Earth. I know that either laptop will play the games on my list at or near max settings, but I would like what I end up with to at least be able to play modern games for a few years.

What I am having a hard time determining is just how much better performing the Acer would be that the Lenovo.

I would be interested to hear opinions and also suggestions on other models that I should be looking at.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
The Acer is the better of the two, processor wise. It has a quad core processor compared to the low voltage (for longer battery life) dual core in the Lenovo. The 960m is okay but not too much faster than a maxwell 860m. If you could find or afford a laptop with the 970m that would be a sizable difference (50ish% or so faster than the 960m)

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Unfortunately, anything with a 970m is well outside my price range. The cheapest Newegg has is an Alienware for $1400.

Azathoth fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 2, 2015

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Azathoth posted:

Unfortunately, anything with a 970m is well outside my price range. The cheapest Newegg has is an Alienware for $1400.

How about the MSI GE62 that was mentioned earlier? The 965m is noticeably faster than the 960, and as far as I know it uses a Samsung PLS (IPS) display. 1150USD on Amazon.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

SouthLAnd posted:

How about the MSI GE62 that was mentioned earlier? The 965m is noticeably faster than the 960, and as far as I know it uses a Samsung PLS (IPS) display. 1150USD on Amazon.
Checked Amazon, Newegg, and the manufacturer's site, and none mention having an IPS display. Not going to discount it though, I'll consider it on account of the graphics card.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Sir Pukesalot posted:

Yes he can always buy more ram, and an SSD when he gets some more money.

The Iron Rose posted:

Way way way WAAAAAY better.

Get the alienware and install a CPU aftermarket.

Cool, thanks!

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Azathoth posted:

Checked Amazon, Newegg, and the manufacturer's site, and none mention having an IPS display. Not going to discount it though, I'll consider it on account of the graphics card.

From the videos I've seen, it's either the best TN panel ever, or an IPS display. The guys on the Notebook Review forums are saying it's an IPS display. Either way, no one has complained about the viewing angles or a noticeable color shift.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

SouthLAnd posted:

From the videos I've seen, it's either the best TN panel ever, or an IPS display. The guys on the Notebook Review forums are saying it's an IPS display. Either way, no one has complained about the viewing angles or a noticeable color shift.

MSI is a little vague about explaining stuff like that, so I'm not certain, but the screen is gorgeous. I'm betting IPS. It was immediately noticable as a big improvement over my old TN laptop.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My current laptop's power port is officially messed up--at this point, I can only charge it by holding the plug in at an increasingly specific angle--and I'm pretty sure it'll be expensive to fix. I was considering getting a new laptop anyway, so I guess now's as good a time as any.

At the moment, with a budget hovering around $1200, I'm between the ThinkPad t450s and the Dell XPS 13. I'd be lying if I denied that the sheer style of the XPS 13 isn't swaying me a bit, but in the end, what I want is a really good keyboard and pointing device, a good display, and something that's likely to last a while. So that points me to the ThinkPad, most likely. I'm more of a touchpad guy than a TrackPoint guy, though (I have a ThinkPad at work that I'm getting used to the TrackPoint on, but I mostly use a mouse there and I still prefer a really good touchpad), and reviews point out that the t450s's touchpad isn't particularly good, so that's giving me some pause. That said, a great keyboard is a huge plus for me, and it seems pretty unanimous that the t450s's keyboard just dances all over any competition's at the moment.

Can anyone who has either of those weigh in on how they like them?

EDIT: I suppose the MacBook Pro is in consideration, too, though I've been outside of the Apple ecosystem for a while and I'm perfectly happy with Windows these days.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 2, 2015

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The inability to unplug my laptop is driving me more and more insane, especially as summer arrives and I want to spend more time out on the deck. So I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the T550 as soon as the tax refund comes in.

These are the specs I was thinking of; could I have a sanity check?
  • i5-5300U processor (~5% slower than the i7 but much, much cheaper and more power-efficient)
  • 3K IPS screen
  • 4GB memory (both slots on the T550 are upgradeable; it's much cheaper to buy 2x8GB separately and install it myself)
  • HDD: 500GB spinning rust (similarly, if I want an SSD, I can get a good one for a lot less than Lenovo is asking)
  • MHD: Probably not. I could make it a 16GB swap partition and just stop caring about RAM entirely, or put tmpfs on it. On the other hand, if I decide I really want an M.2 disk, for twice the price I can get eight times the capacity and install the OS on it!
  • Battery: 3 cell internal + 3 cell back; for some reason the sidebar lists 6-cell but there's no option to select anything but 3-cell.
  • Keyboard: backlit english
  • Camera
  • No fingerprint reader, smartcard reader, GSM, or software

In particular, questions I have:
- Is manually upgrading from 1x4GB to 2x8GB going to be a gigantic pain in the rear end? It doesn't look too bad from the maintenance manual, but that only discusses one of the SODIMMS, and while it looks like the other one is right next to it doesn't actually say that.
- If I drop the M.2 drive, is the M.2 slot still available? I remember some talk earlier in the thread about laptops that just don't have the M.2 port if you don't get them with the drive to begin with.

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

"I took the most excellent hit of my life. Next thing I knew, I was on the beach taking in some cosmic rays gettin healed by mother nature. Takin in a little brewski, holdin on to a beautiful babe. And I'm fine today!"
So my wifes laptop died and we are looking for a replacement. Through work i get a discount on refurb lenovo laptops but i have no idea if these are decent deals or not. She would use the laptop for teacher type spread sheeting in excel (nothing major), internet, pintrest, Netflix streaming, and emails.

First is a Lenovo™ ThinkPad® W520 (CV4) with Intel® Core™ i7—2720QM 2.20 GHz, 16gigs RAM, 160gb SSD, 15.4 WXGA screen, windows 7 professional for $531.

Second is a Lenovo™ ThinkPad® T520 (B37) with Intel® Core™ i7—2620M 2.70 GHz, 8gigs RAM, 500gb hard drive, 15.4 TFT screen, windows 7 professional for $479.

Third would be the ASUS Zenbook with Intel Core M-5Y10 2.0ghz, 8gigs ram,13.3 in Full HD IPS LED, 256gb SSD, windows 8.1 for $599.

Im positive she would like the look of the Zenbook a lot more than the two work station laptops but if the Lenovos are a much better computer/deal then id pick up one of them.

Sir Pukesalot
Nov 3, 2012

Beach Party posted:

So my wifes laptop died and we are looking for a replacement. Through work i get a discount on refurb lenovo laptops but i have no idea if these are decent deals or not. She would use the laptop for teacher type spread sheeting in excel (nothing major), internet, pintrest, Netflix streaming, and emails.

First is a Lenovo™ ThinkPad® W520 (CV4) with Intel® Core™ i7—2720QM 2.20 GHz, 16gigs RAM, 160gb SSD, 15.4 WXGA screen, windows 7 professional for $531.

Second is a Lenovo™ ThinkPad® T520 (B37) with Intel® Core™ i7—2620M 2.70 GHz, 8gigs RAM, 500gb hard drive, 15.4 TFT screen, windows 7 professional for $479.

Third would be the ASUS Zenbook with Intel Core M-5Y10 2.0ghz, 8gigs ram,13.3 in Full HD IPS LED, 256gb SSD, windows 8.1 for $599.

Im positive she would like the look of the Zenbook a lot more than the two work station laptops but if the Lenovos are a much better computer/deal then id pick up one of them.

All of them would work for her needs, but the ASUS has a way better screen, so you probably want that.. Also: the ASUS has a lot of other benefits, like better battery life, a large SSD and it's probably a good bit more portable.

Other news: Yesterday i shipped my Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 12 for repair.. The motherfucking keyboard bezel "broke" in that sense that it is unable to lift in the bottom left corner and the foot on the top left corner is also unable to lift, this has happened without warning (not even a *snap*) after under 2 months of ownership. Already miss it. :(

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Harrow posted:

My current laptop's power port is officially messed up--at this point, I can only charge it by holding the plug in at an increasingly specific angle--and I'm pretty sure it'll be expensive to fix. I was considering getting a new laptop anyway, so I guess now's as good a time as any.

At the moment, with a budget hovering around $1200, I'm between the ThinkPad t450s and the Dell XPS 13. I'd be lying if I denied that the sheer style of the XPS 13 isn't swaying me a bit, but in the end, what I want is a really good keyboard and pointing device, a good display, and something that's likely to last a while. So that points me to the ThinkPad, most likely. I'm more of a touchpad guy than a TrackPoint guy, though (I have a ThinkPad at work that I'm getting used to the TrackPoint on, but I mostly use a mouse there and I still prefer a really good touchpad), and reviews point out that the t450s's touchpad isn't particularly good, so that's giving me some pause. That said, a great keyboard is a huge plus for me, and it seems pretty unanimous that the t450s's keyboard just dances all over any competition's at the moment.

Can anyone who has either of those weigh in on how they like them?

EDIT: I suppose the MacBook Pro is in consideration, too, though I've been outside of the Apple ecosystem for a while and I'm perfectly happy with Windows these days.

Really, you narrowed it down to their pros and cons. Thinkpad keyboard is great, trackpad not so much. Trackpoint is ok, scrolling on it is p awful for now, though. Thinkpad has a slightly larger screen but the XPS is sexier.. Overall I like my T450s but I wouldn't mind trying out the XPS 13. MBPs are always a good choice if you don't need Windows all the time.

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber
Someone in my family is looking for a Laptop for some very light usage, namely emails, browsing, using Office, and the likes. I highly doubt that she will be playing any video games. She wants to use it laptop at her apartment with possibility of bringing it elsewhere (it will mostly be at home) and she doesn't want a PC. While a definite price range hasn't been fixed, I expect that it will eventually cost somewhere along the lines of 300 to 500 CAD Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iamnotcreative
Jul 28, 2002
What, you expected something creative here?
Looking to get my girlfriend a laptop for general browsing, photo editing, light gaming (WOW) and saw this at Microcenter: http://www.microcenter.com/product/449136/x550jf-ms71_156_laptop_computer_-_dark_gray. Price is a factor; I'd like to get something under a grand.