Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

MF_James posted:

After playing this game for a while now, it seems to be really hard to give strategy, because a lot ends up coming down to that particular game, the situations you're put into such as, which nations are IN the game, which nations are your neighbors, and when vanheim is your neighbor, did he decide to roll over you with blessed vanheres, or did he be friendly.

I mean, there's stuff like x/y/z nations SHOULD take a bless, or they should prioritize skeletonpocalypse etc. But after the first few "power slots" of a nation, it becomes a game of pulling some poo poo out of your rear end that your opponent does not seem to expect.

my 2 cents, I'm bad.

Dominions is very much a game about using the poo poo you get to the best effect, and you can luck into the weirdest options that you would never have access to otherwise.

I think the game gives the impression of more variety than really exists. Doing the draft really made me realise how some guys were basically 'research monkeys', 'communion fodder', 'chaff' etc and the only difference was how well each one does it's job.

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

well i have some good news for you if we're the last two players in corn somehow

Case in point. Blood Agartha.

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jun 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

ChickenWing posted:

well yeah but for a brand newbie you don't really need to know much more than "skeleton good, ponyman good, roman bad" for your first couple games

I diagree Romans* are extremely good.

*not the dead ones

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Chomp8645 posted:

I diagree Romans* are extremely good.

*not the dead ones

your opinion is bad and furthermore you are bad

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

ChickenWing posted:

your opinion is bad and furthermore you are bad

:eyepop:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

#gotem

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Depends what color the Romans are really.

If you are talking about Romans in the era of Vanhere and Burning Ones just lol though. Your only hope for survival is that you aren't attacked in the first few turns by one of the many nations that can kill you effortlessly.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I like Skeleton Romans and Communion Romans, but not Roman Skeletons or Plain Boring Romans.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
EA Ermor is cool and fun but also pretty awful at actually accomplishing anything.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think abysia gets a bad rap, just imo

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Gabriel Pope posted:

EA Ermor is cool and fun but also pretty awful at actually accomplishing anything.

You say this like it isn't the best way to play Dominions.

Have cool fun, be spared the terrible end game phases. Good strategy imo.

Twyst
Mar 5, 2005
:O
Hey guys,

I'm starting a MP game as MA Bandar Log soon, I was looking for a bit of direction on pretender design/general strat.

I've been messing around with this one:

http://imgur.com/0zYtnuZ

The idea is use the tigers and little white monkeys to expand while spamming Yogis for research.

I remember a post here a while back where someone was casting loads of buffs on their Markatas, is that a viable strat? I'm having trouble getting my mages to buff them specifically with Luck and Cheat Fate.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

White Ones are only "good" with a major bless. If you don't have one focus on making elephants or a not bad pretender.

Twyst
Mar 5, 2005
:O

Decrepus posted:

White Ones are only "good" with a major bless. If you don't have one focus on making elephants or a not bad pretender.

I haven't been using the White ones yet. Is it worth designing a pretender with the aim of using it to do summoning?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Twyst posted:

I haven't been using the White ones yet. Is it worth designing a pretender with the aim of using it to do summoning?

The Bandar summons are amazing, but they can be pricey. Your Celestial summons (Apsaras, Ghandarvas, Yakshas etc) can be summoned by your national mages. B2A1 will give you enough to summon Dakinis at Blood 6 and bootstrap yourself into the rest of Bandar's summons.

I took a bog standard White Bull in Corn with a N9 bless which is pretty safe and generally useful. You can use B9 for Blood Vengeance which is supposed to be pretty boss on the White Ones and Asrapas.

The Markata buffing strat is not really something you can rely on to win you fights in the early game. The low level buffs (Luck, Body Ethereal) are good for making them a very durable tarpit, but you will need higher level ones like Strength of Giants, Marble/Fog Warriors and Growing Fury/Rage of the Cornered Rat to actually turn them into units capable of doing damage.

In corn I used a ton of Markata to soak Marignon's Flaming Arrows long enough for my mages to blast his army apart. At no point did I have enough direct combat capability to beat him in a man to man fight.

Good spells to use are Stellar Cascades/Paralyze/Mind Burn (Yogis) , Soul Slay (Gurus) , Maws of the Earth/Blade Wind (Yakshas). You are a swarm nation, I found my mages performing best when there was a ton of them on the battlefield. Banner of the Northern Star is surprisingly useful in big fights since it buffs all your astral mages.

Edit - I never used White Ones. I found that I kept losing them during testing, but I ran a T3/S3 build so if you want to use them make sure you have some scales.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Z the IVth posted:

The Markata buffing strat is not really something you can rely on to win you fights in the early game. The low level buffs (Luck, Body Ethereal) are good for making them a very durable tarpit, but you will need higher level ones like Strength of Giants, Marble/Fog Warriors and Growing Fury/Rage of the Cornered Rat to actually turn them into units capable of doing damage.

I have watched blessed black centaur succumb on the fields of glory to nothing more than a very large troop of lucky ethereal markata, shortbows, and swarm bugs much to the other guys chagrin. There are armor destroying spells as well at alt 4 and mighty monkey fists are more than capable of beating zero to single digit prot troops to death.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Twyst posted:

Hey guys,

I'm starting a MP game as MA Bandar Log soon, I was looking for a bit of direction on pretender design/general strat.

I've been messing around with this one:

http://imgur.com/0zYtnuZ

The idea is use the tigers and little white monkeys to expand while spamming Yogis for research.

I remember a post here a while back where someone was casting loads of buffs on their Markatas, is that a viable strat? I'm having trouble getting my mages to buff them specifically with Luck and Cheat Fate.

i see what you're going for with that pretender but i really don't like it. if you want to do blood bandar (it's fun) i'd go with an awake maneater. consider t3/l3 and some magic scales on bandar because they are really gem hungry with all of those really good summons. bandar also gets a lot of use out of n9 and f9 so those are options.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

i see what you're going for with that pretender but i really don't like it. if you want to do blood bandar (it's fun) i'd go with an awake maneater. consider t3/l3 on bandar because they are really gem hungry with all of those really good summons. bandar also gets a lot of use out of n9 and f9 so those are options.

Awake maneater owns and is also my Bandar god of choice.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

also you don't necessarily need an awake god with bandar, elephants expand really well. i just really like awake monster gods.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
EA Agartha and MA Ulm are great beginner nations and generally good overall.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
Given enough time 1 million lucky monkeys will eventually pummel the collected works of Shakespeare to dust.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I have watched blessed black centaur succumb on the fields of glory to nothing more than a very large troop of lucky ethereal markata, shortbows, and swarm bugs much to the other guys chagrin. There are armor destroying spells as well at alt 4 and mighty monkey fists are more than capable of beating zero to single digit prot troops to death.

I don't really like all my Yogis facetanking along with the markata though. But i suppose an exception could be made wrt killing black centaurs.

With the number of low astral mages Bandar has, Banner of the Northern Star is pretty amazing. I lucked into one early on in corn and it pretty much saved me from evil Mukips.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Z the IVth posted:

I don't really like all my Yogis facetanking along with the markata though. But i suppose an exception could be made wrt killing black centaurs.

With the number of low astral mages Bandar has, Banner of the Northern Star is pretty amazing. I lucked into one early on in corn and it pretty much saved me from evil Mukips.

The mages should only be pulled out when you really need them and then immediately returned to lab duty when possible.

You can just cast Light of the Northern Star... Banner is a giant fuckin waste as Bandar Log unless delivered via luck.

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

These are the games we play.

fool_of_sound posted:

I like Skeleton Romans and Communion Romans, but not Roman Skeletons or Plain Boring Romans.

I hope you aren't talking about my new favorite nation, LA Pythium, when you say Plain Boring Romans

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Diabl0658 posted:

I hope you aren't talking about my new favorite nation, LA Pythium, when you say Plain Boring Romans

No, those are Weird Crosspath Romans

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

la pythium is good as hell and anyone who disagrees is a charlatan

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

MF_James posted:

But after the first few "power slots" of a nation, it becomes a game of pulling some poo poo out of your rear end that your opponent does not seem to expect.

Ramc posted:

When this works it is my favorite part of the game.

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

well i have some good news for you if we're the last two players in corn somehow

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3734584&pagenumber=22#post461225664

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Did you just do the same thing to me in Moose, or was that someone else with black centaurs.

BoT severely hosed me and I didn't have dispel, or enough astral gems to cast it. If no more of my mages died I'd still be 3 turns from GoH too soooo I'm hosed.

If it wasn't you, it might as well have been, lost like 8 provinces, 1 of which was a fort I just flew 3 blood hunters in to and now they're stuck.

I'm just gonna be a dick, give someone my bank of gems that i haven't turned into money yet, and naked ladies I was saving for empower/summon spam.

Someone can bootstrap pretty hard into blood given the amount of young women I have banked.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

MF_James posted:

Did you just do the same thing to me in Moose, or was that someone else with black centaurs.

BoT severely hosed me and I didn't have dispel, or enough astral gems to cast it. If no more of my mages died I'd still be 3 turns from GoH too soooo I'm hosed.

If it wasn't you, it might as well have been, lost like 8 provinces, 1 of which was a fort I just flew 3 blood hunters in to and now they're stuck.

I'm just gonna be a dick, give someone my bank of gems that i haven't turned into money yet, and naked ladies I was saving for empower/summon spam.

Someone can bootstrap pretty hard into blood given the amount of young women I have banked.

Ramc is Eriu in moose and he's currently using a single tuatha to disassemble 400-strong stacks of skeletons.

You're looking for Etalommi/Tom_Clancy_Is_Dead, aka Asphodel, aka Double-Global-Holder.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

MF_James posted:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

ChickenWing posted:

Ramc is Eriu in moose and he's currently using a single tuatha to disassemble 400-strong stacks of skeletons.
It's Okay To Script Evocation.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lmao

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

jBrereton posted:

It's Okay To Script Evocation.

skeletons are currently AI and also the pre-scripted mages all appear to be pointed at me

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

abysia and BoT don't mix well.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

ChickenWing posted:

i would like to know more

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

MF_James posted:

abysia and BoT don't mix well.

I have made a simple Abysia Burden of Time guide for those who are interested.

Abysia BoT Action Guide
1) Do you have construction 6 and a blood economy? If so, pay the boot tax while wailing loudly via the in game messenger and IRC so people think you are crippled while you are in fact mildly inconvenienced. After making boots for everyone blood feast important guys who got hosed up before they received virgin skin boots.

2) Do you have a lot of pearls and enchantment 5 but no const6? Wow you are loving stupid. Cast dispel right now. If it fails, go AI.

3) Did a cool and popular person cast BoT before you have either of these things? Are you more than a turn or 2 out from const 6? If so, go AI.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Nuclearmonkee posted:

wail loudly via the in game messenger and IRC so people think you are crippled while you are in fact mildly inconvenienced.

As far as I can tell this is standard policy for every contingency other than "every single thing has gone perfectly from turn 1 forward".

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

i would like to know more

It's literally a tuatha with mistform/mirror image/I think a third buff and also a frost brand+vine shield+a bunch of probably misc event garbage that I think includes regen

32 defense+vine shield+mistform+regen = lol

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

MF_James
May 8, 2008

yeah, I wasn't very invested in this game and figured I'd be dead earlier so I kind of puttered out on my plan like 15-20 turns ago. I'll just give someone 300naked ladies and other gems so they can hopefully have fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

i volunteer for the donation

• Locked thread