Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Low Energy
Feb 19, 2016

by Shine
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=06iwaAxhPlo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Gary Johnson looks like a Simpsons character.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
With the jrodefeld thread (no, the other jrodefeld thread) coming to a close, let's spice things up by preparing ourselves for the upcoming Libertarian Presidential Debate broadcasting on Fox Business on the Stossel show by introducing the candidates in a more detailed fashion.

I will go through each candidate one by one (in the order of my previous post). I will try to answer the following five (simple) questions loosely following from the GOP:

1. Who are you and why are you running for president?
2. What is your position on illegal immigration?
3. What is your position on the Middle East/ISIS/terrorists?
4. What is your position on government spending?
5. What is your tax plan?
Bonus: Do you gently caress melons?

I will use the candidate's own website, and, if available, Wikipedia entry, Facebook page, and any recent Twitter twittings. I will only use first-hand sources (excepting Wikipedia).

So, I will start with Marc Allan Feldman first. I'll make a separate post, so, if there are any other questions you'd like me to add in my quest, feel free to let me know.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

The Larch posted:

Gary Johnson looks like a Simpsons character.

The whole post looks like someone hooked a markov chain generator up to reddit and filled in the gaps with pictures of stage hypnotists.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

God that was bad

Low Energy
Feb 19, 2016

by Shine
You could tell from the crowd's face they agreed.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Marc Allan Feldman

VotesNotForSale.com About page posted:

Big money has corrupted politics. Each major party will spend a billion dollars on the presidential campaign. Our two-party system is failing. Now is the time to take power back from the special interests.

My name is Marc Allan Feldman, and I am running for the Libertarian nomination for President of the United States.

It is time for each of us to step forward and say "My vote is not for sale!"

Dr. Marc Feldman is an anesthesiologist from Cleveland, Ohio, having received his MD (and MHS) from John Hopkins University. He previously ran for Attorney General of Ohio in 2010. According to his most recent blog post, he wants Kanye West as his running mate, and a quick scan of his Facebook/Twitter shows that he might actually be serious about the proposal. His most recent social networking status shows him lamenting that some "friends" added him to a group called "Ron Paul Supporters for Trump 2016." He is currently accepting donations, but limiting contributions to $5 to prove a point or something.

2. Illegal immigration.

Dr. Marc Feldman has not expressed an opinion on this topic.

3. Middle East.

Dr. Marc Feldman has not expressed an opinion on this topic. Except for the following Tweet:

quote:

Islamic Religious Imperialism is at war with Western Capitalist Imperialism over who gets to rule the world. Let's shut them both down.

4. Government Spending.

Dr. Marc Feldman has provided his plan for balancing the budget and reducing government spending called "BASE". It stands for his simple four-step plan:

quote:

1. Balance the budget.
2. Audit all Federal agencies and laws.
3. Show the effectiveness of charitable organizations
4. Exempt with a tax rebate for donations to certified effective charities

It starts with forcing every agency to cut their budget; then getting the GAO to review the "effectiveness" of every branch of government, and if they don't meet Dr. Feldman's standards then the agency gets cut completely; then using the GAO to grade charities based on their effectiveness and those which pass get a seal of approval and named a "Effective Social Organization"; and finally Dr. Feldman proposes not only a tax credit for donating to these ESOs, but a tax credit that matches dollar for dollar what you donate to charity. Dr. Feldman sees the obvious sabotaging of the Federal budget this would cause, and considers it a feature, not a bug. He also says nothing of the fact that this really will only benefit people who can afford to donate to charities in the first place.

Read: http://www.votesnotforsale.com/base_my_progressive_plan_to_shrink_the_federal_government

Dr. Marc Feldman has not expressed an opinion on this topic, save for his BASE plan.

Have you ever hosed a melon?

quote:

I understand the point of view that the ideas of a candidate are most important. However, I grew up in Washington DC and I have known politicians personally. I don't believe a word of what they say. If you cannot go by what they say, how can you determine what their ideas and principles really are? Look at what political party they are in, and where their money comes from.

Sorry to start with the softball first, but it is almost midnight where I'm at. But read that BASE plan, it's mostly empty platitudes and rambles on in a jrode-y sort of way.

e: Oh, and Dr. Feldman is also expressing his impotent rage on Twitter about not being invited onto Stossel's show. I guess @VotesNotForSale won't get to #FeelTheJohnson.

HP Artsandcrafts
Oct 3, 2012

Mmmhmmm, Yes! Lets cut an agency's funding then see how effective they are!

"What's that Food and Nutrition Service? You can't feed the nation's poor and starving with a million bucks? You say SNAP needs more funding? :commissar:"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

YF19pilot posted:

Marc Allan Feldman
4. Government Spending.

Dr. Marc Feldman has provided his plan for balancing the budget and reducing government spending called "BASE". It stands for his simple four-step plan:

It starts with forcing every agency to cut their budget; then getting the GAO to review the "effectiveness" of every branch of government, and if they don't meet Dr. Feldman's standards then the agency gets cut completely; then using the GAO to grade charities based on their effectiveness and those which pass get a seal of approval and named a "Effective Social Organization"; and finally Dr. Feldman proposes not only a tax credit for donating to these ESOs, but a tax credit that matches dollar for dollar what you donate to charity. Dr. Feldman sees the obvious sabotaging of the Federal budget this would cause, and considers it a feature, not a bug. He also says nothing of the fact that this really will only benefit people who can afford to donate to charities in the first place.

Read: http://www.votesnotforsale.com/base_my_progressive_plan_to_shrink_the_federal_government

lol using the GAO to rate the effectiveness of all of the charities is going to take loving forever, and he wants to do this after cutting their budget? He also seems to not understand that the GAO works for Congress, not the President. The president can appoint the Comptroller-General, who directs the GAO, but that's a 15-year appointment that was last filled in 2010, so a President elected in 2016 likely won't have that opportunity. Not a single aspect of this plan makes sense.

Ignoring for a moment that the President doesn't have the ability to reduce budgets and that Congress would never go along with this plan, What happens if the GAO gets cut completely in this plan, then do we just not recognize any charities? Presumably he asks private industry to take over and gives them twice the budget for half the work, but that's okay since it's no longer under direct government control

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have to say I find his slogan of "votes not for sale" to be intensely disagreeable.

Surely votes should be for sale at market value?

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
I have a friend who's super into Thomas Sowell who I'm assuming is a traditional free market proponent. What would be good topics to bring up in discussing him? I thought mentioning Greenspan and his failures causing the recession would be a nice topic since they both come from the same school of thought. But that didn't seem to work since he said Sowell was only interested in small government? I was very confused.

Basically what's really bad about Sowell and what's good.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
The great thing about Dr. Feldman is his complete lack of taking a position on anything, except for his BASE plan. And this is on purpose! He complains that too many people vote for politicians based on their thoughts and ideas and not what political party they belong to and this is bad. Does this guy understand why voting along party lines is in part what got us into this terrible two-party system where the country is divided against itself such as it is?

Anyways, I just got up. It's tempting to go straight into the crazy guy, but I think I will try to get through the others (at least Gary #FeelTheJohnson and McAfee) before I get to the honeypot goldmine.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Cecil Ince of Missouri
Slogan: Restore Liberty!
Second Website: www.CecilAnthonyInce.com

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5047671/

Restore Liberty.Weebly.com posted:

“It’s time that the American people have a real Libertarian option. It’s time to unify the Libertarian Party. It’s time for the American people to wake up and rise up and take back the federal government and restore individual liberty for all.,” said Ince. “I will restore individual freedom and I will fight to prevent federal interventions upon the states. I will work to unite this nation and to restore it under the Constitution.”

The themes of "a real Libertarian option" and "restore...the Constitution" are ones which get repeated by at least half, if not most of the Libertarian Candidates. It honestly sounds like a Conservative Republican's pitch, but with Conservative replaced by Libertarian. (Conservatives argue how we haven't had a true conservative candidate since Reagan.) Anyways, on to Cecil.

Possibly the only candidate with an IMDB page, Cecil Anthony Ince is an actor and owner of Ince Films in Irving, Texas. Near as I can tell, there is no relation to Thomas H. Ince, early film pioneer and "Father of the Western". The only films mentioned on his secondary website are two short films, one self produced called "Suicide" and another called "Continued As Planned" with the KD Studio Actors Conservatory in Dallas, Texas. I can find none of these films in Google search, and Cecil Ince's IMDB page is completely empty. Ince Films does not turn up in Google search, either.

Born and raised in Texas, he's been heavily involved with both the Texas and Missouri Libertarian parties, acting as an "unofficial" lobbyist in Missouri. He has ran for political office three times, Missouri state house district 137 in 2002, Secretary of State of Missouri in 2004, and Texas House District 105 in 2010. It's interesting that Cecil Ince ran under the name "Christopher Davis" when running for positions in Missouri. Beyond this he has been involved on and off with both the Libertarian and Republican parties, mostly in Missouri.

His Facebook page is mostly regurgitating news stories, but there is one hilarious post where he's asking people to help him raise $75.

Unlike Dr. Feldman, Mr. Ince has a fully thought out "Issues" page:
http://restore-liberty.weebly.com/issues.html

2. Illegal immigration.

Immigration posted:

Ince supports a complete the dismantlement of the Immigration and Nationalization System. Ince Supports sole authority of immigration and nationalization invested in the U.S. District Courts. Ince favors the designation of Citizens and Non-Citizens, and supports that no non-citizen should be granted rights, liberties, privileges and’ or immunities reserved to citizens.

Ince believes that the U.S. District Courts should issue visas, which non-citizens seeking to stay in the US should petition the court for a visa to stay in the US for any period exceeding ninety days after entry.

Ince supports lifting Visa Requirement for non-citizen entry in to the US.

Ince favors US District Courts to commission local law enforcement to enforce court orders and immigration violations.

Ince opposes any and all welfare benefits being available to non-citizens.

Not born in the USA? No citizenship for you! Oh, we're lifting Visa Requirements, but you have to petition the courts to stay longer than 90-days, a process which I'm sure won't take longer than your window of opportunity.

Border Control posted:

Ince supports Open Borders to allow peaceful people to cross freely, Ince agrees that everyone entering the US needs to be screened and identified upon entering the US.

Ince supports Border States establishing their own border control policy.

Ince opposes building a fence of a wall; it’s a waste of money.

We really should regulate who comes into the country, but gently caress if we're actually going to do anything about it. Also, STATE'S RIGHTS!

3. Middle East.

To set this up properly I need to pull in his ideas about the military first. Otherwise the absolute level of stupidity is lost. Also, I'm a military brat so of course I'm going to pick apart his military policy.

Military posted:

Ince supports a full withdrawal of all US Troops currently deployed abroad. Ince supports closing all US Military Bases overseas. Ince, supports a Non-Military Intervention Foreign Policy. Ince Supports continued economic and diplomatic relations with other nations. Ince favors a defending the home front. Ince favors a reconstruction of the US Armed Service. Ince supports reinstituting the Citizen Militia in each county in the US, to be trained by the Reinstituted State Guards. Each of the States shall make up the Union Military Forces which shall be administrated by the Department of Defense and commissioned by Congress.

This is the typical short-sighted Libertarian screed of Abandon our allies! military isolationism. Defend the home front (but not against immigrants, we promise!) Also, each county will have a citizen militia trained by the State military, which must provide forces to the "Union" military. Someone I think in this thread said something about Libertarians being stuck in the 1850s, and this military policy pretty much is. It's like part pre-Civil War US Army meets a feudal-kingdom system. This is not someone who should be in charge of a modern military force. So, about 'dem terrists...

Terrorism posted:

nce believes that militant actions of aggression should not be tolerated, and that we should not leave ourselves open and defenseless to anyone. Ince deems all “GUN-FREE ZONES” as a constitutional violation of the second amendment of the United States which infringes upon the right of the people to own and possess firearms.

Ince supports that all citizens are volunteer members of the militia of the United States and to disarm the militia to leave this nation defenseless and vulnerable to attacks from militants.

GUN FREE ZONES SUPPORT TERRORISM! Private property rights, but if you want a gun free zone YOU'RE A TERRORIST! Also, since the military will be dismantled (and presumably all of the three-letter agencies) it'll be up to the local militia to protect our country from terrorists. This is a system that will work perfectly and no innocent person will be accidentally lynched arrested.

ISIS posted:

Ince understands the situations currently in the Middle East concerning ISIS. And Ince refuses to declare war and instigate a world war which would involve China and Russia. Ince supports a complete withdrawal of all U.S. troops currently deployed.

gently caress THE KURDS. They're not citizens anyways.

Israel posted:

Ince supports the right of Israel to be a sovereign nation, and that the US should maintain economic and diplomatic relations with Israel. However, to participate in the conflicts of Israel, Ince strongly opposes and will continue to support a Non-Military Intervention Policy.

gently caress THE JEWS (and the Palestinians, too, for that matter). They're not citizens anyways.

Civil Liberties posted:

Ince supports a complete repeal of the USA PATRIOT Act.

Ince supports the abolishment of the TSA, and airports should be allowed to hire their own security just as it was pre-9/11.

I agree with repealing the Patriot Act, but while the TSA is pure security theater, private security will be worse. Though I'm sure private airport security won't cavity search every brown person that walks through the gate, oh no, sir.

4. Government Spending.

Budget, deficits posted:

Ince believes the only common sense course of action that would balance the budget and eliminate national debt and the deficit, is to dismantle the mercantile economic system of the United States. This will involve a major overhaul of the US Federal Code, Repealing the Federal Reserve Act, Abolishing the I.R.S. and Repealing the 16th Amendment of the US Constitution. Ince feels that the current direction of the US Economy is headed for certain disaster, and only a complete restoration of the economy is needed. Ince will work to implement a Free-Trade Free-Market Economy, with limited Federal restrictions and oversights. In a Free-Market economy where individuals are free to engage in business, labor, trade, and services, upon mutual agreement without government interferences. The Federal Government should be limited in only preventing theft, fraud, extortion, and protecting the liberties of individuals, consumers and businesses.

I had to do a quick bit of research to discover that "mercantile economic system" doesn't mean what I thought it meant (I'm an engineer/EFL teacher, not an economist) and apparently doesn't mean what Mr. Ince thinks it means, either (he's a Libertarian actor, not an economist). Apparently, it's use here is in the pejorative sense, much like calling everyone who disagrees with you "Statist". So, basically, what I gather is, he wants to eliminate all taxes and all but a few regulations, but maintain the Federal Government's power in enforcing these regulations (probably reactively rather than proactively. Except, of course, he later says that the Federal government should not be involved in law enforcement, so....

Budget, deficits posted:

Ince supports turning Social Security and Medicare over to the States, grandfathering current benefit recipients, which will dissolved when the last recipient has passed away. Acceptance of new recipients in to State Administered Social Security and Medicare shall be up to the States, and the Federal Government shall not fund this program.

Privatize Give Social Security and Medicare to the states to do what they will. Oh? You paid into Social Security all your life and you're going to retire next year? Talk to your state reps, sucker!

Budget, deficits posted:

Ince supports the reinstitution of the gold and silver standard; congress shall direct the Department of Treasurer to establish a depository for the precious metals of the United States. Ince supports recommendations to congress to ratify a State Banking Act, which will grand the respective states the right to establish a State Bank. In Addiction, to the recommendation Ince will advise congress to authorize the US Mint to issue US Gold and Silver Notes which the Department of Treasury may grant loans to the State Banks or any bank within the Union.

Yes, he did write "In Addiction..." Typical goldbug nonsense with added "State Banks" because the early 19th Century sure taught us a lot about letting states print their own money!

Budget, deficits posted:

Ince opposes the FairTax as federal tax policy and supports the drastic downsize of the Federal Government. Ince will work to abolish any and all Federal Agencies that are not authorized by the Constitution.

Ince opposes all taxes. How will he fund the Federal Agencies that remain? Mr. Ince has not expressed an opinion on this issue.

As per above, repeal the 16th Amendment, abolish the IRS, oppose any kind of taxation. No word on how to actually fund the government.

An actor and owner of a film studio with no films accredited to either? Magic Eight-ball says "Very likely".

I do also love that https://www.restore-liberty.com is this geo-cities/Myspace level "personal" page, that has https://www.cecilanthonyince.com emblazened on the top, while that address is actually available for purchase. Oh, and he apparently does his own html coding on the "personal" page. Which is obvious, because clicking on every sub-page link is just the same loving thing but with broken pictures. I guess this guy thinks that because Reagan was an actor he can achieve greatness, too.

Taking a break for now. Up next will be the Libertarian's pride and joy, Gary #FeelTheJohnson Johnson.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

YF19pilot posted:

I'm a military brat

The stupid very obviously stuck.

quote:

This is the typical short-sighted Libertarian screed of Abandon our allies! military isolationism. Defend the home front (but not against immigrants, we promise!) Also, each county will have a citizen militia trained by the State military, which must provide forces to the "Union" military.

Look I can see why this gets you. I mean, downsizing the military and drawing down deployments means you or people you know would very likely lose the free housing and paychecks and that's really too bahahaha get hosed.

quote:

gently caress THE JEWS (and the Palestinians, too, for that matter). They're not citizens anyways.

...you are aware of what our support of the Israeli government at least partially enables, right?

quote:

I agree with repealing the Patriot Act, but while the TSA is pure security theater, private security will be worse. Though I'm sure private airport security won't cavity search every brown person that walks through the gate, oh no, sir.

As far as racial discrimination, I'm not sure how that'd make it much different than the TSA, actually.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
cool you're here to do your usual idiocy i'm glad

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Giving billions to the IDF and being the world police is a good idea never mind guys.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
man its a good thing the only alternative is having citizen militias that then contribute soldiers to the national military, there is no middle ground there

you moron

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
A lot of Libertarian economic policies seem like case studies in having no idea what happened in the 1800s.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

DeusExMachinima posted:

Giving billions to the IDF and being the world police is a good idea never mind guys.

Both of those things are probably better ideas than the garbage you've been arguing, mate.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

A lot of Libertarian economic policies seem like case studies in having no idea what happened in the 1800s.

Less 1800s, more "all of history".

Like the old response to any libertarian idea goes "Yes, but on the other hand: recorded history",

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

DeusExMachinima posted:

At least jrod puts some effort into his bad posts.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

archangelwar posted:

At least jrod puts some effort into his bad posts.

this is the guy who made a thread "asking questions" about gun control and trying to "start a debate" that really was just him posting a polemic

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
There will always be a world police due to the spread of communication and speed of transport we have nowadays, and the only thing that can really change is which powerful country or group of countries will hold that role. For instance, during the cold war, the USA and USSR split the job pretty evenly. Before that, you could say that Britain arguably filled that role, largely due to trade and naval strength.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

YF19pilot posted:

An actor and owner of a film studio with no films accredited to either? Magic Eight-ball says "Very likely".

Please stop doxxing jrod.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

fishmech posted:

Both of those things are probably better ideas than the garbage you've been arguing, mate.

What'd you have in mind? Financially aiding an apartheid state and forever wars are pretty garbage IMHO.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

DeusExMachinima posted:

What'd you have in mind? Financially aiding an apartheid state and forever wars are pretty garbage IMHO.

Being global police actually mostly means enforcing protection of the world's sea based shipping, which is really important to commerce.

Sorry you're so uneducated that you just go "gurr forever war!!!!"? Also way more money has been given to other states that ain't Israel,

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

fishmech posted:

Less 1800s, more "all of history".

Like the old response to any libertarian idea goes "Yes, but on the other hand: recorded history",

Well, yeah, but just how much of the recorded history that debunks Libertarian history is concentrated in the 1800s? I guess it was sort of the wild west of government interaction with industrial global economies, and libertarians want to go back to that.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

DeusExMachinima posted:

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'm libertarian.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cnidaria posted:

Reminder that in a society that requires money to live, it's immoral to propose a system that requires inconsistent income systems like charity.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Why?

Now I'm in favor of Friedman's negative income tax but I can frame that in "law and order" and "more customers participating in capitalism". But those are mutual benefits and current welfare sucks at it long-term due to the trap.

VitalSigns posted:

Letting people die preventable deaths is wrong.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Forums poster VitalSigns, if you could successfully do so, would you ban alcohol, cigarettes, private transportation in urban areas, and fast food?

this is what you guys are arguing with, just stop

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Guys, guys, it's totally cool. I heard at last year's Red Flag there was a group of self funded Libertarian Volunteer Union Militia Air Force participating in training. Many of the world's Air Forces were quite impressed by their performance. Here's an image, I just hope I'm not violating clearances.

I'm convinced. Defund the military.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

fishmech posted:

Being global police actually mostly means enforcing protection of the world's sea based shipping, which is really important to commerce.

Sorry you're so uneducated that you just go "gurr forever war!!!!"?

Hmmm perhaps keeping some jets and ships but ditching the million+ man army and most of our overseas bases and nationbuilding failures aren't mutually exclusive. I guess it's just too bad it's all or nothing.

quote:

Also way more money has been given to other states that ain't Israel,

Yes, and?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

DeusExMachinima posted:

Hmmm perhaps keeping some jets and ships but ditching the million+ man army and most of our overseas bases and nationbuilding failures aren't mutually exclusive. I guess it's just too bad it's all or nothing.

Yes, and?

Glad we agree then since we were mocking an all or nothing plan to start you loving tool

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Gary Johnson of New Mexico
Slogan: Be Libertarian with me.
Twitter: @GovGaryJohnson #FeelTheJohnson

quote:

Gary doesn’t give up. Ever.
• He turned a one-man handyman operation into the state's largest
construction company.
• As Governor, he was elected against the odds, and then re-elected.
• He stopped overspending by vetoing more spending bills than any other
Governor.
• He is an accomplished triathlete who has climbed the highest peak on each
of the 7 continents.
• He placed third in the 2012 Presidential race with the highest number of
votes for a Libertarian candidate in history.

Former New Mexico Governor Gary Johnson is possibly the most well known and most popular of the Libertarian Party candidates. He was governor from 1995 to 2003, as a member of the Republican party, and forced out of office due to term limits. In 2008 he supported Ron Paul's bid for the Republican nomination. In 2012 he attempted to run for the Republican nomination, but felt snubbed after being denied invitations to the various Republican debates. He withdrew his bid for the Republican bid and ran on the Libertarian ticket instead, deciding that his goal wasn't to win the Presidential office, but rather win 5% of the vote, which would cement the Libertarian party as a serious party, and provide campaign funding to the party. Of course, he fell much short of that goal, securing only 1% of the overall vote. Still, in sheer numbers this is a record for the Libertarians, and only second behind Ed Clark's 1980 bid (1.1% of the vote).

Gary Johnson, born in Minot, NoDak, loves to tout his history. He worked as a door-to-door handyman to pay for his college, and after college turned it into a business. He has vetoed more bills than any other governor (over 750) and has given himself the nickname of "Governor Veto". He also cut taxes 14 times during his tenure.

Of the entire lot, Governor Johnson is surely the most experienced politician - which could be a bonus or could hamper him from winning Libertarian votes.

Personal anecdote - the few friends of my on Facebook that actually vote Libertarian rather than just talk about it are big Gary Johnson fans.

2. Illegal immigration.

Immigration posted:

Having served as Governor of a border state, Gary Johnson understands immigration. He understands that a robust flow of labor, regulated not by politics, but by the marketplace, is essential. He understands that a bigger fence will only produce taller ladders and deeper tunnels, and that the flow of illegal immigrants across the border is not a consequence of too little security, but rather a legal immigration system that simply doesn’t work. Militarizing the border, bigger fences, and other punitive measures espoused by too many politicians are all simplistic “solutions” to a problem caused by artificial quotas, bureaucratic incompetence and the shameful failure of Congress to actually put in place an immigration system that matches reality.
Governor Johnson has long advocated a simplified and secure system of work visas by which willing workers and willing employers can meet in a robust labor marketplace efficiently and economically. Aspiring immigrants would undergo a background check, pay taxes and provide proof of employment.
Making it simpler and efficient to enter the U.S. legally will provide the greatest security possible, allowing law enforcement to focus its time and resources on the criminals and bad actors who are, in reality, a relatively small portion of those who are today entering the country illegally.

Not going to win over Conservatives with that one, but it wouldn't be honest to say that I don't agree with him about overhauling the immigration system and demilitarizing the border. Unfortunately, the fear is "right conclusion, wrong reasons," but Mr. Johnson doesn't provide much background into his reasoning; nor does he say what to do about illegal immigrants already here.

3. Middle East.

Foreign Policy and National Defense posted:

The objective of both our foreign policy and our military should be straightforward: To protect us from harm and to allow the exercise of our freedoms.
Looking back over the past couple of decades, it is difficult to see how the wars we have waged, the interventions we have conducted, the lives sacrificed and the trillions spent on the other side of the globe have made us safer. The chaotic, reactive military and foreign policies of the past two Presidents have, if anything, created an environment that has allowed real threats to our safety to flourish.
Radical Islam and sharia ideology were not created by our actions, but they have prospered in the wake of the instability to which our actions contributed. And while our leaders have thrust our military and our resources into regime changes, failed nation-building and interventions that have strained valuable strategic relationships, the murderers of ISIS, Al Qaeda and other violent extremes have found new homes, established the caliphate of their warped dreams and secured the resources to become very real threats to our lives and our liberty.
As President, Gary Johnson will move quickly and decisively to refocus U.S. efforts and resources to attack the real threats we face in a strategic, thoughtful way. The U.S. must get serious about cutting off the millions of dollars that are flowing into the extremists’ coffers every day. Relationships with strategic allies must be repaired and reinforced. And the simplistic options of “more boots on the ground” and dropping more bombs must be replaced with strategies that will isolate and ultimately neuter those who would, if able, destroy the very liberties on which this nation is founded.

It's not the screeching isolationism of your typical Libertarian, but at the same time it's the wordy non-answer of "I'll do something but I won't say what" that most politicians offer on a complex subject that probably isn't their pet issue, but important nonetheless. Though, he did post this on his Facebook:

quote:

Violent jihadists, whether they be ISIS or otherwise, are a real threat. And the federal government's #1 responsibility is to defend against real threats. BUT, are we safer today because of an airstrike in Libya that killed 43 people?

It does read like a typical candidate's ranting of "If I were in charge, I would be bombing the right people!"

4. Government Spending.

Government Spending posted:

By the time Barack Obama leaves office, the national debt will be $20 TRILLION. That is not just obscene, it is unsustainable -- and arguably the single greatest threat to our national security.
Responsibility for the years of deficit spending that have created our debt crisis rests squarely with BOTH the Republicans and the Democrats. The debt doubled under President George W. Bush -- and doubled again under President Obama. During that time, both parties enjoyed control of Congress, and the deficit spending just kept piling up.
It doesn’t have to be that way, despite what the politicians say. But the idea that we can somehow balance the federal budget without cutting military spending and reforming entitlements is fantasy. What is required is leadership and political courage. As Governor of a state with an overwhelmingly Democrat legislature, Gary Johnson stood up to excess spending, vetoed 750 bills and literally thousands of budget line items...and balanced the state’s budget.
Governor Johnson has pledged that his first major act as President will be to submit to Congress a truly balanced budget. No gimmicks, no imaginary cuts in the distant future. Real reductions to bring spending into line with revenues, without tax increases. No line in the budget will be immune from scrutiny and reduction. And he pledges to veto any legislation that will result in deficit spending, forcing Congress to override his veto in order to spend money we don’t have.
No excuses. No games. A REAL balanced budget.

Basically the same tirade Conservative Republicans give, just with the serial numbers filed off, and "I vetoed 750 bills!" written with a sharpie. Seems Gov. Johnson hasn't forgotten his Republican roots quite yet. Typical debt hawk rantings and posting on his Twitter:

quote:

Reminder: The #nationaldebt increased by $1.5 billion today. Just as it did yesterday, & will again tomorrow. #GOPTownHall #libertarian

Taxes posted:

Today’s federal tax code does all the wrong things. It penalizes productivity, savings and investment, while rewarding inefficiency and designating winners and losers according to political whim. For far too long, tax laws have been used not just as a means to collect needed revenues, but as a weapon with which to manipulate our behavior, create and destroy industries and fulfill politicians’ dreams of social engineering. The result is a tax code that is more than 70,000 pages long enforced by a government agency with almost 100,000 employees.
It is a nothing less than a massive deployment of government force on our lives, our finances and our freedom.
Governor Johnson advocates the elimination of tax subsidies, the double taxation embodied in business income taxes, and ultimately, the replacement of all income and payroll taxes with a single consumption tax that will allow every American and every business to determine their tax burden by making their own spending decisions. Taxes on purchases for basic necessities would be “prebated”, with all other purchases taxed equally regardless of income, status or purpose.
Many leading economists have long advocated such a shift in the way we are taxed, and Gary Johnson believes the time has come to eliminate the punishing tax code we have today and replace it with a system that rewards productivity, investment and savings. The IRS as we know it today would no longer be necessary, and Americans would no longer need to live in fear of the force of government being wielded under the guise of tax collection.

Generic Conservative Republican Tax Argument #5. Seriously, he's pulling out all the Conservative playbook arguments that make all the big AM talkers happy.

quote:

Johnson was raised Lutheran.

Yup, total melon fucker. But only on Sunday morning.

Overall Gary Johnson seems pretty inoffensive, but that just might be me having come from a Conservative background, and recognizing a lot of the same rhetoric being used in his non-answer arguments. Most of his policies appear to be Conservative Republican, with his stances on immigration and drugs more what you'd find with moderate and liberal Republicans. He really is a Republican that's butthurt that the big boys in the RNC won't let him play ball and always pick him last. I'm guessing he got the backing of the Libertarian Party because having a former (Repbulican) governor running on your ticket gives your party an air of legitimacy, even when your hero (Ron Paul) wouldn't even run on the LP ticket.

Otherwise, smaller candidates, like Dr. Feldman, are a bit jealous and perturbed by Gov. Johnson's popularity, as the whole reason the LP Debate on Stossel got moved was because Johnson was busy with prior commitments. Basically, Johnson is the "establishment" Libertarian if such a thing could exist.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

To be fair to the "recorded history" argument against libertarians, they say the exact same thing of anything left of Thatcher. Soviety union, leftism debunked. Anyone who wants even an ounce of government intervention in the economy or society is pissing on the graves Mao's victims. Might as well throw hitler in there too, national SOCIALISM after all.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Baronjutter posted:

To be fair to the "recorded history" argument against libertarians, they say the exact same thing of anything left of Thatcher. Soviety union, leftism debunked. Anyone who wants even an ounce of government intervention in the economy or society is pissing on the graves Mao's victims. Might as well throw hitler in there too, national SOCIALISM after all.

The more extreme AnCaps also throw democracy under the bus. Hitler was democratically elected, can't have that. If we let the poor and blacks vote, we'll get President Gay Black Hitler.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

DeusExMachinima posted:

Yes, and?

It's pretty weird that you think 541,000 is a "million+ man" group. Have you tried engaging with reality recently? There's also only like 130,000 people stationed overseas in those bases, most of which have become bases of the home nation we're allied with.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

YF19pilot posted:

Guys, guys, it's totally cool. I heard at last year's Red Flag there was a group of self funded Libertarian Volunteer Union Militia Air Force participating in training. Many of the world's Air Forces were quite impressed by their performance. Here's an image, I just hope I'm not violating clearances.

I'm convinced. Defund the military.

Just because libertarianism is dumb doesn't mean the stain of America's military power shouldn't be wiped off of the earth

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Baronjutter posted:

This parallel would be more striking if they just wanted some budget cuts slightly to the right of FDR. You can ask actually straight-up Marxist-Leninist Communists to account for the USSR but "anyone left of Thatcher" isn't the mirror image of people who literally want to undo any of the economic policy gains of progressivism since 1890.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

SedanChair posted:

Just because libertarianism is dumb doesn't mean the stain of America's military power shouldn't be wiped off of the earth

Not immediately it shouldn't. Solutions that create more problems than they solve aren't solutions, and dismantling the American military overnight would do exactly that.

The exception being support it Israel. That can stop immediately no problems.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Who What Now posted:

Not immediately it shouldn't. Solutions that create more problems than they solve aren't solutions, and dismantling the American military overnight would do exactly that.

The exception being support it Israel. That can stop immediately no problems.

We're obviously in very hypothetical waters here anyway, since the military would take over the government long before its power and scope were meaningfully reduced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

fishmech posted:

It's pretty weird that you think 541,000 is a "million+ man" group. Have you tried engaging with reality recently? There's also only like 130,000 people stationed overseas in those bases, most of which have become bases of the home nation we're allied with.

I'd tell you not to be pedantic when I say "army" lower-case but I know who I'm talking to. Active duty military is approx 1 1/4 million and reserves are like another 3/4 million IIRC. I wonder what percentage of those guys are necessary to maintain a navy that doesn't "need" 10 supercarrier groups, for example. We don't need them all because it's time for Europe and others to get off the NATO (or their local equivalent) welfare train. And I'm aware most troops aren't based overseas, it doesn't matter though. Troops at home or abroad are mostly a barrel of pork and make-work either way.

Glad you stopped bringing up Israel though. :allears: