Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'm probably way late to the party on finding this, but apparently Horus Heresy has a super special Space Marine Katana in it that can cut tank barrels (Master-Crafted because of course it is, Rending) available to any HQ and one special dedicated katana-duellist unit for the Emperor's Children.

I think Forge World understands this hobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Okay, so would adding:
  • A Fireblade Cadre
  • A Broadside
  • A Hammerhead/Sky Ray
  • A Kroot Carnivore squad
  • A Crisis Suit Commander
sort things out, or should there be more than one Broadside there? Also, does the Sky Ray/Hammerhead kit have the parts to make it a Razorfish like the Razorback/Rhino kit, or is it missing some like with the Land Raider variants?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Personally I'd skip the kroot and get another piranha/broadside/fire warrior team. Single broadsides are ok for smaller games but they shine with a full squad of three.

I think you mean devilfish? Devilfish are just Hammerhead chassis without the gun turret so it's really easy to swap out, with the bonus that you have the SMS to make the superior devilfish loadout.

e: And I think it goes without saying, magnetise your suits!

ijyt fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 12, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
It blows my mind Glottkin sold out in like hours and Conquest is barely through half it's stock.

leongzanfa
Aug 20, 2012
Just curious but what storage/transport solutions do you guys use for plague drones?

They just look really difficult to transport without a ton of magnetizing

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

ijyt posted:

Personally I'd skip the kroot and get another piranha/broadside/fire warrior team. Single broadsides are ok for smaller games but they shine with a full squad of three.

I think you mean devilfish? Devilfish are just Hammerhead chassis without the gun turret so it's really easy to swap out, with the bonus that you have the SMS to make the superior devilfish loadout.

e: And I think it goes without saying, magnetise your suits!
Yeah, meant the Devilfish. So the Hammerhead kit has all the Devilfish parts in it? Glad to hear. And more Fire Warriors sounds good too. But three Broadsides at $50 each? That seems a bit much. Wouldn't that money be better spent on an increased variety of units, or are Broadsides really that useful?

Edit: Also I like Kroot. They look neat. :saddowns:

A Shitty Reporter fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 12, 2014

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

The Sex Cannon posted:

I got a Baneblade box, but I'm not sure which variant to make first (I will eventually have 2). I love the vanilla Baneblade, but what should the other one be? I'm leaning towards Doomhammer. Does anyone have any experience using these things?

Additionally, at NOVA they banned the use of the S10 ignores cover variants in the narrative campaign. That makes me want to stay away from those two variants (Hellhammer and Stormsword, I think). IS that sort of thing common in other clubs?

Banning the Ignore Cover variants is fairly common for tournaments that allow Lords of War, because that sort of thing can be pretty abusive. It's not as bad as the old Str D stuff like the Warhound, but it can still be not very much fun for players to just pick up models two dozen at a time and remove them with no recourse of any kind. That sort of thing can be fine in Apocalypse where people are expecting it, but in normal 40K it's rather discouraging.

As for the other variants, I don't recall offhand which ones you can build with that kit (because there's two different kits, as I recall?) but the Banehammer is an amusing hybrid vehicle with a decent gun as well as some transport capacity; the Banesword is essentially just a down-gunned Baneblade, so there's little appeal to taking it; the Doomhammer is another hybrid tank, but its comparatively-weak main gun makes it an unattractive prospect; the Shadowsword is much more reasonable now that Str D isn't crazypants-good and if you're looking for a way to clean out hard targets, it can be nice; finally, the Stormsword is absolutely hilarious if you can twin-link its main gun and throw down 30 AP3 shots, and the sheer number of Guardsmen you can cram inside one is equally amusing.

An Angry Bug posted:

Thinking of picking up some Kroot, or more Fire Warriors. Any glaring holes in the army so far?

It's generally pretty hard to go wrong with almost anything in the Tau codex, but as it stands I'd say your main problem is (unsurprisingly) that you don't have a lot of focus on the army- though that's really only natural given you're just starting. At this point I would be looking to figure out what kind of army you want to play- do you want an infantry firebase that makes use of Supporting Fire and Markerlights to throw out deadly volleys? Some Broadsides, Kroot, and a Commander or Ethereal would be perfect. Do you want a mechanized list that can scoot around the table deploying close-range firepower while hammering away with its tanks? Hammerheads, Devilfish, and Ethereals would definitely be the way to go. Would you be interested in running allies, perhaps of the Necron, Eldar, or other variety? That could push you in very different directions. The Tau codex has an amazing amount of flexibility, so you can go for almost any unit in it if you want, but not every unit will necessarily fit into every army, so it would be good to figure out what it is you like most about playing them.

(With that said, it's hard to go wrong with some Kroot or a Devilfish at where you are- many armies will be able to make use of either or both of them. You'll also want an HQ of some kind- the Ethereal and Commander are both pretty generally applicable to many situations and so could be just fine for you.)

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

An Angry Bug posted:

Yeah, meant the Devilfish. So the Hammerhead kit has all the Devilfish parts in it? Glad to hear. And more Fire Warriors sounds good too. But three Broadsides at $50 each? That seems a bit much. Wouldn't that money be better spent on an increased variety of units, or are Broadsides really that useful?

Edit: Also I like Kroot. They look neat. :saddowns:

Kroot are neat, unfortunately they're not too great on the table. I'd recommend getting the broadsides from a third party reseller for like 20% off, but yeah the price is ridiculous.

I have heard of people making kroot work, but I've only been able to use them as a meatshield.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Well that's a bummer. What with the whole "coalition of races" thing, you'd think the writers would try to make it viable to field the other species. On that note, why the hell are five Vespids $45? Are they the size of Terminators or something?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Vespid are that expensive because they're Finecast resin (formerly metal) and not plastic. Kits in those materials are always more.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

ijyt posted:

Kroot are neat, unfortunately they're not too great on the table. I'd recommend getting the broadsides from a third party reseller for like 20% off, but yeah the price is ridiculous.

Er.... Kroot are far and away the best Troop choice in the Tau codex (even counting Farsight's Crisis suits) and their flexibility via Outflanking, ability to take Sniper ammo, etc, is very strong.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

They're also worse than kroot. :v:

But don't get me wrong, kroot work fine, it's just that Tau have so many options that do it better. Consider making some Sniper drones out of spare gun drone parts - they're a really good unit.

e: ^ I'm just talking from person experience. Maybe there weren't enough trees, but even with outflank they just kind of shot, killed nothing, then died. I've had sniper be useful once in like 20 games. :shrug: My fire warriors on the other hand tend to be my MVPs.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I just realized that shadow in the warp makes neurothropes really good against grey knight and demon units. Spirit leech is essentially 3d6+3 vs leadership against units that are entirely psykers.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Master Twig posted:

I just realized that shadow in the warp makes neurothropes really good against grey knight and demon units. Spirit leech is essentially 3d6+3 vs leadership against units that are entirely psykers.

Which is cool, problem is half the time (at least that's how it is with the local daemon player) a dude in there who has greater ML than you and has the dice pool to deny your power, but boy will it be fun when you manage to shove enough dice to get past it.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Nov 12, 2014

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007
Are grenades ever worth throwing? If I have a unit of Grey Knights and I want to fire and then assault a squad, is it worth having one dude chuck a psychout grenade if there is a psyker in the unit? Can you throw grenades in over watch? Grenades?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
uh yeah it's basically always worth throwing a grenade

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Sir Teabag posted:

Are grenades ever worth throwing? If I have a unit of Grey Knights and I want to fire and then assault a squad, is it worth having one dude chuck a psychout grenade if there is a psyker in the unit? Can you throw grenades in over watch? Grenades?

Always throw grenades of all types all the time. Krak grenades are S6 AP4 - that's better than a bolt pistol, right?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Based on the FW website, it seems Solar Auxilia get Malcador variants in Heavy Support, confirming those rumors. You could probably get up to 5 or 6 super-heavies in an SA list if that's the case.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

uh yeah it's basically always worth throwing a grenade

raverrn posted:

Always throw grenades of all types all the time. Krak grenades are S6 AP4 - that's better than a bolt pistol, right?

Is it the same as sixth, where you are limited to throwing one grenade? Or could I get stupid close with a guard blob and chuck 50?
Because I want to do that.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Only one model per unit can throw a grenade, yes.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

BlackIronHeart posted:

Only one model per unit can throw a grenade, yes.

gently caress, you're breaking my heart!

Thanks though!

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

raverrn posted:

Only works against tanks and MCs, though. Frag grenades are "worth it" most of the time when you're in range, but the extra time to resolve the shot often is too much of a bother in any situation where time is a factor.

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Based on the FW website, it seems Solar Auxilia get Malcador variants in Heavy Support, confirming those rumors. You could probably get up to 5 or 6 super-heavies in an SA list if that's the case.

Yeah, but as a counterpoint the Malcadors are almost universally terrible.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i prefer the term aggressively mediocre

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Amazing models with poo poo rules. I wonder if they'll update them- something like what they did to predators, rapiers, etc.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
There's an important distinction there actually, unless I'm missing something that's been FAQ'ed. Krak grenades are only useful against vehicles, gun emplacements and MCs during Assault, but can be thrown at any unit during Shooting.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Sir Teabag posted:

gently caress, you're breaking my heart!

Thanks though!

If you want your conscript squad to throw 50 frag grenades and have each one deviate individually, you'd better get started now so you can finish by December. It's pretty understandable why it's one per unit most of the time. When you charge a building you can shove grenades in all the windows and blow whatever's inside to pieces though, which is neat.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

BULBASAUR posted:

Amazing models with poo poo rules. I wonder if they'll update them- something like what they did to predators, rapiers, etc.

I don't run them (Legion has way better options) but being a Fast superheavy is pretty nice, and putting them in Heavy Support (where they probably belonged anyway) could make them marginally more useful. Interestingly enough, one of the main problems they seem to have is actually caused by the model (bad sponsons, traverse turrets, etc).

I just pre-ordered my copy on Conquest so we'll see how it pans out, but I hope they end up marginally useful because as mentioned they're loving gorgeous looking.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I meant the Macharius. I always get it confused with the Malcador. It's so pretty, but for the points and performance you might as well take more Russes

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BlackIronHeart posted:

There's an important distinction there actually, unless I'm missing something that's been FAQ'ed. Krak grenades are only useful against vehicles, gun emplacements and MCs during Assault, but can be thrown at any unit during Shooting.

Huh, I guess that's true. I don't actually play a lot of MEQ armies, so I'm only ever on the receiving end of things.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

BULBASAUR posted:

I meant the Macharius. I always get it confused with the Malcador. It's so pretty, but for the points and performance you might as well take more Russes

Huh, I don't really like the Macharius'. Except the Omega, which doesn't really look like the others. I really do think the Malcadors are good looking though, the legion -blades don't really do it for me.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Bleh, stuck on a new Khorne list. Honestly if I just didn't have to take the Bloodletters I would have exactly the points for what I want to do with it, here's it as it stands:

code:
+++ New Roster (1847pts) +++
+++ 1850pt Chaos Space Marines: Codex (2012), Chaos Daemons: Codex (2013) Roster (Combined Arms Detachment, Allied Detachment)) +++

Chaos Space Marines: Codex (2012) (Combined Arms Detachment) Selections:

+ HQ + (130pts)

* Chaos Lord (130pts) 
        Axe of Blind Fury (35pts) (Blinded, Daemon Weapon), Bike (20pts), Bolt Pistol, Mark of Khorne (10pts) (*), Power Armour

+ Troops + (340pts)

* Chaos Space Marines (170pts) 
        Khorne (16pts) (Mark of Khorne)
        * Aspiring Champion (28pts) 
            Bolt Pistol, Boltgun, Close Combat Weapon, Melta Bombs (5pts)
        * Chaos Rhino (35pts) 
        * 7x Chaos Space Marine (91pts) 
            7x Bolt Pistol, 7x Replace Bolter with CCW

* Chaos Space Marines (170pts) 
        Khorne (16pts) (Mark of Khorne)
        * Aspiring Champion (28pts) 
            Bolt Pistol, Boltgun, Close Combat Weapon, Melta Bombs (5pts)
        * Chaos Rhino (35pts) 
        * 7x Chaos Space Marine (91pts) 
            7x Bolt Pistol, 7x Replace Bolter with CCW

+ Fast Attack + (487pts)

* Chaos Bikers (147pts) 
        5x Chaos Biker (100pts), Mark of Khorne (12pts) (*)
        * Chaos Biker Champion (35pts) 
            Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon, Melta Bombs (5pts)

* Heldrake (170pts) 
        Baleflamer
    * Heldrake (170pts) 
        Baleflamer

+ Heavy Support + (375pts)

* Maulerfiend (125pts) 
        Daemonic Possession, Magma cutters
    * Maulerfiend (125pts) 
    * Maulerfiend (125pts) 

Chaos Daemons: Codex (2013) (Allied Detachment) Selections:

+ HQ + (100pts)

* Daemonic Heralds (100pts) 
        * Herald of Khorne (100pts) 
            Juggernaut (45pts)

+ Elites + (315pts)

* Bloodcrushers of Khorne (315pts) 
        7x Bloodcrushers (315pts)

+ Troops + (100pts)

* Bloodletters of Khorne (100pts) 
        10x Bloodletters (100pts)

Created with BattleScribe

If I didn't have to take the Bloodletters, I could put some powerfists on champions and give the Herald some Gifts, or maybe put some charge banners in. The big obvious points sink is the Bloodcrushers, and they're not really...good...but at least they can do something, Bloodletters are just terrible.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Can you sub them out for Flesh Hounds? If not, I'd say drop the demons entirely.

Maybe go crazy and instead add in a Space Wolf Champions of Fenris detachment with a Wolf Lord/Battle Leader, 2 Iron Priests (all three on Thunderwolves), and a squad of Thunderwolves. Model them all as Khone Juggernaut Cavalry. You'll have to keep them separate from the rest of you army, but I'd say that's because they're really angry.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Are fully mechanized Speed Freek lists with an equal split of Trukks and Wagons just a bad idea with 7th Edition?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

BlackIronHeart posted:

Are fully mechanized Speed Freek lists with an equal split of Trukks and Wagons just a bad idea with 7th Edition?

Meh. Why not. But leave the trukks at home because wagons are pretty good.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
Every time I look at the Horus Heresy Character page on Forgeworld site I come very close to buying one of the primarchs even though I know I should probably just buy more stuff for my fledgling Tau force, but they look so cool and as a painter Id love to pour some time into those models.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Direwolf posted:

Bleh, stuck on a new Khorne list. Honestly if I just didn't have to take the Bloodletters I would have exactly the points for what I want to do with it, here's it as it stands:

[[KHORNE STUFF]]

If I didn't have to take the Bloodletters, I could put some powerfists on champions and give the Herald some Gifts, or maybe put some charge banners in. The big obvious points sink is the Bloodcrushers, and they're not really...good...but at least they can do something, Bloodletters are just terrible.
I'd second MasterSlowPoke and just say drop the Daemons entirely. They are not doing much besides running forward and dying - I've seen people work very hard to make Bloodcrushers playable, and it just isn't worth the effort. If you drop the Daemons fully, you could add Dirge Casters to your Rhinos, weapons to your Champions, and Banners to your squads - huge upgrades to the list, and something you sound like you want to do. Plus, it frees up a ton of points for other things. Hell, you could do those upgrades AND Terminators with a Land Raider, with the Land Raider packing the new Legacy of Ruin from IA 13 that gives units with the Icon of Wrath within 12" FNP. Not that it's terribly good, since are you are trading one points sink for another, but it represents how much you have sunk into parts of your army that you freely admit blow.

If you are dead set on Daemons, though, you have some options. You can drop the Bloodcrushers for Flesh Hounds, which are far cheaper and come with Scout. You can drop the Herald and a Bloodcrusher for Karanak, which lets you ensure the Bloodcrushers are at least in position for a turn 2 charge and benefit from Karanak's Locus. You can drop the Herald and the Bloodcrushers entirely, instead taking a Daemon Prince or Bloodthirster with full upgrades. That, perhaps, isn't the best use of the points, but it's going to give you better results than a Bloodcrusher, especially if you score FNP or rerolling Invulns on your dudes.

I run Khorne Chaos casually, and I feel your pain. Bloodletters are so cool, but just crumple under any fire. I find they only really work as a scare tactic - you have to shoot them, at least, or they chop you up.

Or charge into some leaves and get beat to death.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

BlackIronHeart posted:

I've run lists with 2 wagons full of boyz and 2 trukks with units of 3 meganobz ad just rush it all forward, flat out in the first turn... man people panic the gently caress out when a trukk is touching their deployment zone in turn 1.

I also deploy deffkoptas behind my vehicles and use their scout move to screen the vehicles in the event I don't get turn 1.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

It blows my mind Glottkin sold out in like hours and Conquest is barely through half it's stock.

I think Fantasy tends to get ignored a bit by GW for being the less popular system, it stands to reason that something really cool for that game would get snapped up. Conuest, as cool as it is, is just another HH book.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Thanks for the Chaos advice, guys, it's tough because I just love my Bloodcrushers - I did a really nice job painting them and converting a Skulltaker to ride with them - but I think you're right, I might have to go full CSM.

Crossposting:

Direwolf posted:

Got the base colors done on my new Heldrake conversion!

Started as:

Had no arms or legs and the wings were actually on upside down, with the folds hanging down, not really sure why.

Nowhere near done but currently:

Took the horns from WHFB Ghorgon kit, middle? legs from a Maulerfiend, and flipped the wings back to where they should be. It already had the head and wings of I believe a Terrorgheist, but I chopped off the bat ears because I wanted it to look more demonic than a big bat. I need to clean the paint and equalize the reds but I think it'll be a nice complement to my other Heldrake, seen here:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I think Fantasy tends to get ignored a bit by GW for being the less popular system, it stands to reason that something really cool for that game would get snapped up. Conuest, as cool as it is, is just another HH book.

They also made like 10 times as many Conquests because its the horus heresy.

• Locked thread