Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
I think the poem in Pale Fire is definitely meant to be mediocre at best, with a few nice bits. Several people criticize the narrator for publishing clearly unfinished work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
I wonder if it was meant to be published? It was so personal and candid

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

The Belgian posted:

I think the poem in Pale Fire is definitely meant to be mediocre at best, with a few nice bits.

This was my read, is it not everyone's read?

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
I didn't know what to think. It's the only poem I've read in my entire adult life, and I had nobody to talk about it with

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

But that nice Professor Kinbote just spent 300 pages telling you all about it

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
Whatever was thought, whatever was said, I had my full reward in John’s friendship. This friendship was the more precious for its tenderness being intentionally concealed, especially when we were not alone, by that gruffness which stems from what can be termed the dignity of the heart.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

hackbunny posted:

I didn't know what to think. It's the only poem I've read in my entire adult life, and I had nobody to talk about it with

Read poetry you loving idiot

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

The Remains of the Day has been good so far. The narrator is a shell of a man because he deludes himself into thinking his role as butler/servant is worthy of dignity because he is a "major wheel" to the functions in a household where the world's most influential people come in and make their decisions while getting hosed up on nice wine. But his self-important role keeps him from being with his dying father because the demands of the capitalist system requires him to be an emotionless voiceless ghost to a bunch of elites who think of him as a novel slave. But he's also pissed because the next generation of butlers are a bunch of lazy pussies that want education.

Should finish it tomorrow.
Watch the movie after. Or at least just watch the last scene between Mr Stevens and Miss Kenton.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

CestMoi posted:

Read poetry you loving idiot

Why?

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

1) it's good
2) it expands the ways that you see words, grammar, and structure put to use to convey meanings, frequently implied, multiple, contradictory, or ambiguous meanings. It is cool. It also enhances the way you approach reading prose.
3) it's a fundamental part of the literary body in pretty much every culture (there's gonna be like one out there with no poetry, I just know it)
4) corollary of the above: if you view literature as an interconnected group of works, instead of a bunch of completely separate works, which you should be, because it's the only way that make sense, you are lacking a big part of the "vocabulary." The writers you read read poetry. That, to varying degrees, affects/appears in their work. I don't think you need to get every tiny reference or backtrace possible connections to truly appreciate or understand a book, but there's really no reason to be willfully ignorant of an entire branch of literature.

Probably some other good, obvious reasons I'm forgetting. Makes you look smart????

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I would like poetry recommends for a noob. I got rupi Kaur milk and honey and idgi at all. So not whatever kind of poetry that is.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

derp posted:

I got rupi Kaur milk and honey

hahahah

why

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Be cause I know nothing of poetry and I kept hearing the name and it was cheap

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

derp posted:

I would like poetry recommends for a noob. I got rupi Kaur milk and honey and idgi at all. So not whatever kind of poetry that is.

Get any anthology like the Norton Anthology of Poetry or the Penguin Book of Irish Poetry (that's a real good anthology)

Or alternatively dip into the selected poems of Tennyson, I think the Penguin one has In Memoriam in full, which is an insanely good poem (avoid trawling through Idylls of the King first like I did)

Yeats is also good, and he has range, from romantic stuff in his early years to modernist weirdness later on.

Philip Larkin is popular as an intro to poetry but imho he's best avoided

There's not much to get with Rupi Kaur because there's nothing to really connect with beyond its basic sentiment. Good poems are for sticking in your head and mulling over, hers are stuff you scroll past on instagram and like because you relate with it

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
ahahahahahahahaha gently caress, rupi kaur

poetry is almost culturally omnipresent, every human society from prehistoric tuber-chewing cavemen to refined sprawling civilizations has always had some variant of poetry ingrained in their culture in some way.

I'm no professor on the subject, but I'd argue that poetry is the backbone of literature simply because it's the most direct and succinct form of expressing incredibly subjective thoughts and ideas through the ambiguity of language. that's the best way I can put it. you'd be missing out on a huge part of what makes literature so important if you don't read any poetry at all.

aside from high school stuff, I really first cut my teeth on The Children of the Night by Edwin Arlington Robinson. I enjoyed it immensely and recommend it for anyone wanting to get more into poetry. admittedly almost all of the poets and poems I know about are American or English

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Seamus Heaney, Edna St. Vincent Millay's translation of Fleurs du Mal, Black Marigolds and Colored Stars

quote:

Come to my arms, cruel and sullen thing;
Indolent beast, come to my arms again,
For I would plunge my fingers in your mane
And be a long time unremembering -
And bury myself in you, and breathe your wild
perfume remorselessly for one more hour ;
And breathe again, as of a ruined flower,
The fragrance of the love you have defiled.
I long to sleep; I think that from a stark
Slumber like death I would awake the same
As I once was, and lavish without shame
Caresses upon your body, glowing and dark.
To drown my sorrow there is no abyss,
However deep, that can compare with your bed.
Forgetfulness has made its country your red
Mouth, and the flowing of Lethe is in your kiss.
My doom, henceforward, is my sole desire :
As martyrs, being demented in their zeal,
Shake with delightful spasms upon the wheel,
Implore the whip, or puff upon the fire,
So I implore you, fervently resigned !
Come; I would drink nepenthe and long rest
At the sweet points of this entrancing breast
Wherein no heart has ever been confined.

or just find a copy of the Fitzgerald Rubaiyat somewhere

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Hell yeah, everyone should do this as a requirement of posting in this thread anyway.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

J_RBG posted:

Hell yeah, everyone should do this as a requirement of posting in this thread anyway.

I have a copy that has literal book worm holes through it

When I first picked it up the dessicated dead bookworm fell out

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Lmao derp I think I love you

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

J_RBG posted:

Being a sufi has always been a sine qua non of posting in this thread

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Seamus Heaney, Edna St. Vincent Millay's translation of Fleurs du Mal, Black Marigolds and Colored Stars

That's some good poo poo there. I can get into that

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Coleridge is a poet who is fun and good to read, imo

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

quote:

Late summer, and at midnight
I smelt the heat of the day:
At my window over the hotel car park
I breathed the muddied night airs off the lake
And watched a young crowd leave the discotheque.

Their voices rose up thick and comforting
As oily bubbles the feeding tench sent up
That evening at dusk – the slimy tench
Once called the ‘doctor fish’ because his slime
Was said to heal the wounds of fish that touched it.

A girl in a white dress
Was being courted out among the cars:
As her voice swarmed and puddled into laughs
I felt like some old pike all badged with sores
Wanting to swim in touch with soft-mouthed life.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

When I first picked it up the dessicated dead bookworm fell out

That was me

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
write "tamam shud" in all of your copies of the rubiyat, just in case

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Tree Goat posted:

write "tamam shud" in all of your copies of the rubiyat, just in case

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamam_Shud_case

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

The local second hand book shop has a giant hardcover set of the Zohar taking up a whole shelf and I really want to become wealthy and buy it so that I can become a master of the Kabbalah

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

How much is it

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CestMoi posted:

How much is it

To be honest I can't remember but probably several hundred dollars at least, and I don't really have anywhere to put it

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
I second getting an anthology. Personally I wouldn't get one of just Irish poetry if it's your first time, because I think broader is better.

Read a thing about how to read poetry, this is one I found with google that looks pretty good to me, and covers most of what I heard in the coursera modern poetry class i watched like 4 sessions of (thus making me an expert): https://www.poets.org/poetsorg/text/how-read-poem-0
It's kinda long, but even if you just take away a few things from it (or only read half of it now or whatever, b/c effort), I think it will increase your enjoyment of reading poetry a lot.

Here's a quote!

that article posted:

The goal of careful reading is often to take up a question of meaning, an interpretive question that has more than one answer. Since the form of a poem is part of its meaning (for example, features such as repetition and rhyme may amplify or extend the meaning of a word or idea, adding emphasis, texture, or dimension), questions about form and technique, about the observable features of a poem, provide an effective point of entry for interpretation. To ask some of these questions, you’ll need to develop a good ear for the musical qualities of language, particularly how sound and rhythm relate to meaning. This approach is one of many ways into a poem.

Another thing discussed in that article, and that I have found particularly helpful in making poetry more interesting and enjoyable, is different approaches to reading a poem out loud. Reading poems out loud is cool and good, and you should do it. It also feels weird as hell, which is another reason why you should do it, really. You can find recordings/youtubes of poets reading their own work, and that can be pretty fun.

So, after you've got your anthology and spent like half an hour about learning how to read poetry, read some poetry until you find something you like or at least think is okay. Then read that one again! Reading poems repeatedly is excellent! From there, go forth and explore further poems by that poet, or other poets associated with them (google it). If you find a poem that really strikes a chord with you, you might try memorizing it. Reading a poem that many times, and internalizing it enough to memorize it, will give you cool new insights into/thoughts about the poem, and is also a cool party trick.

Oh hey, that sure is a lot of advice on reading poetry for someone who doesn't read nearly enough poetry ;_____;

(argh i wanna buy that Penguin Book of Irish Poetry, but it's $21...but on the other hand the cover is extremely badass)

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Because then you won't say stupid things like maybe the poem in Pale Fire wasn't meant to be published because it's so personal

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Here's the one weird hack to reading poetry that will make your dick bigger and save you hours in your day: it's literally music

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

CestMoi posted:

Here's the one weird hack to reading poetry that will make your dick bigger and save you hours in your day: it's literally music

can't believe some rear end in a top hat already made the Bob Dylan joke >:-[

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

CestMoi posted:

Because then you won't say stupid things like maybe the poem in Pale Fire wasn't meant to be published because it's so personal

It's OK to say stupid things, though. And is poetry that makes you experience vicarious shame that common?

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jan 26, 2018

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

hackbunny posted:

It's OK to say stupid things, though. And is poetry that makes you experience vicarious shame that common?

That's like 99% of all poetry

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Forktoss posted:

That's like 99% of all poetry

We read Dante's Inferno in middle school but the moment closest to shameful I can think of is when Virgil shuts Dante up with "so God wills, stop asking", which is pretty funny the way it's worded but I'm not sure it's supposed to be

[Italian color corner: the wording is funny to modern ears because - especially if read in the wrong cadence, "vuolsi così colà/dove" instead of "vuolsi così/colà dove", which a modern reader is likely to do at first - it sounds like a typically Tuscan prank, the supercazzora, where in the middle of conversation you start slipping non-existent words, until you're speaking entire grammatically correct sentences without a single sensical verb or noun, to the confusion of whoever you're talking with - usually a figure of authority, in an inversion of the usual relationship where they lord their power over you with legalese or other technical language. Monicelli movie Amici miei both popularized the supercazzora and ruined it by memefying it; in the English translation, "supercazzora" - a nonsensical word itself - was rendered as "supersnotter", and the immortal "come se fosse antani" as "just like Antarctica"]

To go back to "personal works", from what I remember, Dante admits to great weaknesses (melancholy, lust, a vacillating faith) but no small ones. Not that a medieval man - a politician and military commander on top of that - would, I guess

Other poems I remember from school were Manzoni's ode to Napoleon Bonaparte and Carducci's Il Parlamento, which failed to stir me to say the least

This is the sum total of my knowledge of poetry. Great men writing great works about great men or their great works. An old English professor trapped by a misprint in an awkward conversation with a gushing elderly fan, let's say it was unexpected (not to mention something I would probably not admit under torture, much less put in writing)

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

derp posted:

just checking in on this

lol

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Rupi Kaur is fascinating to me because every part of me as an intersectionalist and feminist wants to go "maybe we are just not a part of the experience she is speaking to, and thus our criticism is unreasonable" and then I read a poem by her and its like "holy poo poo"

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

This seems to talk about the basic emptiness of Rupi Kaur well:

quote:

“YOU’RE NOT ALONE.” “DARE TO BEGIN.” “I love you./I know.” Poetry, or Anthropologie sales rack? Is there a difference? Instapoetry, the so-named slips of inspoverse that have propagated on Instagram like the common cold over the past few years, is a boutique of perfectly curated objets de commerce—“Raised lettering, pale nimbus. White,” American Psycho’s ideal business card gone digital—selling a sanitized unreality. It is not inquiry, it is not sedition, it is not richness, it is not even really beauty. It is status quo. It is confirmation that everything you are thinking, everything you are feeling, everything you are doing, is fine, perfect even. Instapoetry is an outcrop of a space that radiates niceness, that has in fact been pruned of that which is not nice. “A cynic may note here that [changes to make Instagram a more supportive environment] are as good for business as they are for the soul,” Nicholas Thompson recently wrote in Wired. “Advertisers like spending money in places where people say happy, positive things, and celebrities like places where they are less likely to get mocked.” This place has thus become a haven for the young, pummeled not only by the digital world but the world itself. And Instapoets have become their bards, reinforcing their narcissism, offering a filtered reflection of an anxious generation scrambling for distraction. “For me, poetry is like holding up a mirror and seeing myself,” Rupi Kaur, the best-selling Instapoet of all time, has said. In other words, this is the poetry of capitalism.

The reason is that she's deliberately not intersectional at all, she doesn't articulate any particular kind of pain whatsoever. Which is completely anti-literature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I cannot tell if this is a parody or real