Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Our '90s selves would barely understand a lot of our lingo today - Twitter, tweets, etc. I envy them their comparatively more innocent 1990s internet.

Wrong quote, but whatever ygwim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Unperson_47 posted:

It was truly a more radical - and, perhaps, even tubular - time.

We were rizzed up and our drip was based, ngl, fr fr.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Animal-Mother posted:

We were rizzed up and our drip was based, ngl, fr fr.

This post is neither epic nor for the win

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

My friend said his 11 year old daughter was having a sleep over for her birthday and I thought how fun it was to go to a video store when I was that age. The thought of them scrolling through the same streaming service they do every night really seemed as though it would suck the joy out of things.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I'm glad Cool has stuck around. I feel like it really peaked in the 90s as a word, and it was just the right amount of expression in comparison to all the other 90s surfer-stoner lingo.

I know Cool is older than that. Just saying, things being cool was definitely how I remember the 90s.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I'd like to see "baby bear" gain some linguistic foothold.

Like when the weather is just right, when your soup is just right, when things are just right, man that poo poo is babybear as gently caress

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Glad shibby never took off.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Sometimes I say shibby in my head and then I spend the next moments wondering if anyone else knows about that or if I manufactured a memory of people saying that.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I think 90’s me would nerd out on current me and probably be a bit jealous.

I take it as a sign of pride that I feel like I’ve improved as a person.

Unfortunately I am posting on SA so I may have deluded myself.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Wayne Knight posted:

Sometimes I say shibby in my head and then I spend the next moments wondering if anyone else knows about that or if I manufactured a memory of people saying that.

I watched Dude Where's My Car? Recently and was surprised at how well it held up

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Beastie posted:

My friend said his 11 year old daughter was having a sleep over for her birthday and I thought how fun it was to go to a video store when I was that age. The thought of them scrolling through the same streaming service they do every night really seemed as though it would suck the joy out of things.

God the video store was a magical place.

Especially when you'd get deals like "one new release and five weeklies" and you'd go hunting for the most bizarre poo poo you could find to fill out the numbers.

We really lost something when they died.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Kosmo Gallion posted:

What are some big cultural events that signify the end of the 90s? Ya know like people use Altamont or the Manson murders to bookend the 60s.

I guess 9/11 is the obvious one.

A page or two back but I feel the 90s - and to be honest in many ways most cultural decades - ended at differing times. The 90s aesthetic sense ended in 1998 or November 2001 - certainly by the latter - when the loud excess gave way to the minimalism of the iMac and iPod, respectively. The iPod also notably dethroning the ubiquitous Walkman and heralding the slow death of CDs like tapes before them. In terms of film and action especially, 1999 with The Matrix. You can especially see this in the sort of action movie protags - prior to The Matrix most action movie heroes were ultimately just some guy, even when not an everyman. James Bond may be exceptionally skilled and lucky, but in theory there is nothing he does that another man, similarly trained and equipped, could not. He is an exceptional man, but not unique. Then in the aughts, after The Matrix, our heroes are almost universally Chosen Ones foretold by destiny or, at the very least, genetically/pharmaceutically enhanced. Jason Bourn is unique in a way James Bond is not.
Similarly if you're talking about Comic Books, that's a whole 'nother can of worms. The 90s in Comic Books begins in the late 80s and persists until the 2000s, possibly even the late 2000s depending.

Politically and in terms of overall cultural vibe the 90s obviously ended on September 11, 2001, but a lot of its identity had already died before that, and some persisted beyond. I think what makes it more unique is that in terms of The Big Shift of 9/11 it wasn't a gradual cultural shift like with other stuff as fads and sensibilities change, but obviously the result of a sudden, literally traumatic, cultural shock. You'd still have the cultural 90s giving way to the cultural aughts in some hypothetical world where 9/11 never happened and all the changes and traumas that brought about were missing, but it would obviously be wildly different in many ways - although in others, like aesthetics, I think quite similar. I can't help but think that as wildly different in most cultural ways as this hypothetical 2000s would be, that in terms of aesthetics, it would probably by and large look quite similar if not identical to IRL. Just with less American flags and ostentatious patriotism.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Is Shrek a 90s movie?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

ultrafilter posted:

Is Shrek a 90s movie?

Starring Mike Myers and Eddie Murphy? Definitely 90s.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
A solid argument could be made that the David O Russel movie Three Kings (1999) heralds the shift from “90s movies” to “2000s movies”.

Maybe it’s the first Tomb Raider movie starring Angelina Jolie (with theme song by U2 still riding the wave to the height of their global power and also the height of their cheesy terribleness, both of which would begin to be revealed in 04-05 with the release of How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb and, I think, two versions of U2 signature iPod).

Maybe it’s the Charlie’s Angels movie that had Bill Murray in it (replacing him with Bernie Mac is simultaneously awful, excellent, and peak 2000s. RIP to a king).

Or maybe it happened somewhere between Blade (1998) and Blade II (2002). Especially if I frame “2000s movie” through the lens of all the VFX and CGI-heavy pulp films that filled the decade, like the Resident Evil movies, the Underworld movies, Van Helsing, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, etc. There are high points in the genre for sure, like Del Toro’s Hellboy and even the now cult favorite Constantine, but also a lot of it devolves into gun-latex-sword-titty-vampire-only in brown and grey spaces.

The common thread of “this is the decade where computer graphics stopped being cool and started being cheap” and practical effects started getting further and further sidelined, etc. but also furthering the 90s monster movie/gothic horror revival into video gamey, comic booky fare that married the aesthetics and gloss and gunplay of The Matrix to poo poo like werewolves and vampires and demons.

You could also call the 2000s the decade of horrible Mike Myers movies, with Dana Carvey making his own uniquely horrible attempt at something similar to really kick the decade off. They made two Austin Powers sequels and also the Love Guru.

The 2000s is also the decade where:

1) Adam Sandler seemingly got too big to fail and switched from making the pretty-bad-in-hindsight “stunted manchild with a heart of gold and a somewhat unique circumstance” movies that made him famous and his friends rich, and which Freddy Got Fingered skewered so masterfully, to making awful “rich dad has a problem” movies with those aforementioned friends aimed more at families.

2) People really started to hate Adam Sandler and “hating Adam Sandler movies” became a normal and often encouraged viewpoint for the average filmgoer to have.

trilobite terror has a new favorite as of 17:29 on May 20, 2024

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I think of Phantom Menace more as a 2000s movie than a '90s one, personally.

Although I agree that the '90s "officially" died on 9/11, yeah....I think it was already pretty moribund by 1998 or so. By 1999 pop culture was already (imo) moving towards more of a 2000s "aesthetic" than a colorful end-of-history '90s one.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Beastie posted:

I think about this every so often with regard to video games; renting a game (or buying a used one) and finding someone else's save file was a weird little local connection that I do miss (not unlike finding someone's margin notes in a used/library book, and I do miss it, but I think the edges tend to get sanded off the memories of the bad poo poo about stuff like that.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

Neito posted:

finding someone's margin notes in a used/library

That was one of my favorite parts about buying used books for college. Sometimes you'd get lucky and there would be awesome notes/highlighting. There was the one time though that some rear end in a top hat highlighted like 75% of every chapter which was useless but the book was a lot cheaper than a new one.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

That was one of my favorite parts about buying used books for college. Sometimes you'd get lucky and there would be awesome notes/highlighting. There was the one time though that some rear end in a top hat highlighted like 75% of every chapter which was useless but the book was a lot cheaper than a new one.

This drives me insane. Highlighters should be used on single words or maybe small phrases. Sometimes you'll find books with more highlighted text than not. It's supposed to narrow down the information and make it easier to find but it just makes the pages harder to read because you used so much goddamn ink that the page is soaked through and wrinkly!! Argh!!!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Trabant posted:

Starring Mike Myers and Eddie Murphy? Definitely 90s.

It's a pretty solid choice for a transitional movie, seeing as it had a long development time, originally starred Chris Farley, and embodied so much of that 90s too-cool-for-school ironic detachment. But it also set the template for hundreds of imitators in the 2000s and beyond, which became less snarky and irreverent but kept the same general tone. (I would also argue that anything that parodies bullet time can't truly be a '90s movie.)

Of course, in hindsight it comes off as way more sincere than many of its sequels and imitators. But at the same time it's also a bit more biting when it wants to be.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I think of Phantom Menace more as a 2000s movie than a '90s one, personally.

TPM belongs to the 2000s in the same way that the '90s have that weird early period before Nevermind, when adult contemporary and a bunch of songs that sounded kind of like "Unbelievable" dominated the charts. It's like what the decade could have been before everything got shaken up. Clones feels way different. (In a bad way.) TPM is obviously shot on film by comparison.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Attack of the Clones is like the Van Helsing of Star Wars in more ways than one

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Sir Lemming posted:

It's a pretty solid choice for a transitional movie, seeing as it had a long development time, originally starred Chris Farley, and embodied so much of that 90s too-cool-for-school ironic detachment. But it also set the template for hundreds of imitators in the 2000s and beyond, which became less snarky and irreverent but kept the same general tone. (I would also argue that anything that parodies bullet time can't truly be a '90s movie.)

Of course, in hindsight it comes off as way more sincere than many of its sequels and imitators. But at the same time it's also a bit more biting when it wants to be.

It'd kinda like how Joy Division was pre-Post-Punk. You can't really easily shove them in the category of "Punk", but they're too early to really fit in the Post Punk era.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Also because New Order is post punk, just like Foo Fighters is extremely post-grunge

arguably the clash is doing post-punk (or pre post punk) when you get to Sandinista and Combat Rock

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
New Order coming from Joy Division was a hell of a turn around and I can never get that out of my head whenever I hear either of them.

It truly spins me right round, baby, right round.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Beastie posted:

Do kids these days still watch the same film over and over again? I suspect they still might, especially the younger ones.

When I was really young (like, in the 90s) I had like five videogames and five VHSes and I have such a visceral connection to those. This is probably not an important thing to have but it might be different today.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

kiminewt posted:

Do kids these days still watch the same film over and over again? I suspect they still might, especially the younger ones.

When I was really young (like, in the 90s) I had like five videogames and five VHSes and I have such a visceral connection to those. This is probably not an important thing to have but it might be different today.

I never really thought about it until your post but I don't really remember owning any video games growing up that didn't come with the console. I had Super Mario/Duck Hunt for the NES, Super Mario World for the SNES, and Columns for the Genesis and that was it. I didn't really ask for them for Christmas or birthdays either. I just rented everything. The Game Boy/Game Boy Color was the only exception because you couldn't rent them.

Unperson_47 has a new favorite as of 08:32 on May 22, 2024

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Megillah Gorilla posted:

God the video store was a magical place.

Especially when you'd get deals like "one new release and five weeklies" and you'd go hunting for the most bizarre poo poo you could find to fill out the numbers.

We really lost something when they died.

What are the most iconic "VHS boxart you saw in the video store as a kid but never actually watched"

I'm going to say

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

The Moon Monster posted:

What are the most iconic "VHS boxart you saw in the video store as a kid but never actually watched"

I'm going to say

both 80s, i think, but seen many times in video stores in the 90s

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The Moon Monster posted:

The one with a puffy cover full of fake blood. Can't even remember the name, but I'd always give it a squish when I went through the horror section.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm going to say

The Hollywood Video near where my dad lived (probably accidentally) had some Hentai mixed in with the anime, and 14 year old Neito was appropriately fascinated by it and constantly trying to think up plans to trick my dad into renting, but not watching, it.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Mr. Fix It posted:

both 80s, i think, but seen many times in video stores in the 90s

We rented both of these one day when I was a kid, good times.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

deoju has a new favorite as of 17:41 on May 22, 2024

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

This is the one that always instantly comes to mind when this comes up:

Also this:

There was also one of a Gremlin-looking thing looking up a woman's skirt that would always stand out but I can't remember it off-hand.

Unperson_47 has a new favorite as of 19:59 on May 22, 2024

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Unperson_47 posted:

I never really thought about it until your post but I don't really remember owning any video games growing up that didn't come with the console. I had Super Mario/Duck Hunt for the NES, Super Mario World for the SNES, and Columns for the Genesis and that was it. I didn't really ask for them for Christmas or birthdays either. I just rented everything. The Game Boy/Game Boy Color was the only exception because you couldn't rent them.

I’d get a few games here and there for birthdays and holidays. On the occasion I got a game outside of those dates, it was often a bargain bin title so I ended up with weird/lovely games like Greendog The Beached Surfer Dude, Tinhead, Pac In Time, and Mic and Mac Global Gladiators.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
If we're talking "Iconic Movie Covers" seen in a 90s rental store...well, for some reason "Silence of the Hams" always stands out to me... Even more than "Silence of the Lambs":

Damned if I know WHY the parody version was more iconic to me than the real... But it was. Maybe because I was more likely to be browsing the comedy section?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

brunch with yr parents
Jan 6, 2013

SWEATBOX SYMPHONY
Looks like a nice one to watch with the kids.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Unperson_47 posted:

There was also one of a Gremlin-looking thing looking up a woman's skirt that would always stand out but I can't remember it off-hand.

You mean Munchies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Chip McFuck posted:

You mean Munchies?

That's the one. There was a bunch of movies chasing the success of Gremlins like this. One was lower budget and the Gremlin-like creatures would cause their victims to hallucinate being in dream-like fantasies before killing them. One made a guy think he had some hot babe in his car as she drove both of them off a cliff, for example.

edit: That one was Hobgoblins.

Unperson_47 has a new favorite as of 06:10 on May 23, 2024