Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
This isn't mine, but it actually makes Sigmarines look kind of cool now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Fyrbrand posted:

I painted a big dumb thing. Also, gently caress barnacles.

:eyepop: I love the blue mix

berzerkmonkey posted:

This isn't mine, but it actually makes Sigmarines look kind of cool now?

Wow my friend was offering to give me some of his sigmarines angels and I do have Brets...

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Fyrbrand posted:

gently caress that thing's dope as hell.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Fyrbrand posted:

Seconded. This is amazing. I like the flamingo :3:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
The flamingo is ace and the paintjob is sweet as hell, but I've gotta tell ya the boat on his back is dumb as gently caress.

Gorgeously painted, for sure.

But still dumb. I mean, the thickness of the sail makes it look like it's made out of pizza dough, ffs.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Ilor posted:

The flamingo is ace and the paintjob is sweet as hell, but I've gotta tell ya the boat on his back is dumb as gently caress.

Gorgeously painted, for sure.

But still dumb. I mean, the thickness of the sail makes it look like it's made out of pizza dough, ffs.

This. So much of this. What the gently caress PP.

Great job on it though.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

That boat troll dude is jaw-dropping good

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Hey, so I'd like to transition a bunch of GW paints to dropper bottles, and they're a little thick to really get all of the paint out on each transfer. What should I be mixing in to make them more liquid without diluting them too much (so that I still get great coverage on base coats etc)? Lahmian medium? Boring old water?

Comedy option is Vallejo airbrush flow improver?

Sharkman
Dec 7, 2007

Arcturas posted:

Hey, so I'd like to transition a bunch of GW paints to dropper bottles, and they're a little thick to really get all of the paint out on each transfer. What should I be mixing in to make them more liquid without diluting them too much (so that I still get great coverage on base coats etc)? Lahmian medium? Boring old water?

I think a medium would be best. Water can work but a video on restoring old Citadel paints said they would dry up faster.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Arcturas posted:

When I was on a big jars-to-dropper-bottles kick (which I should really get back onto, jeez), I added a mix of matte medium and a very small amount of flow improver. This was mostly after transferring the bulk of the paint into the bottle; I'd add the medium mix into the jar and shake vigorously to loosen up the leftover paint.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Pendent posted:

I've been steadily churning through my Primaris marines over the past few weeks and am reasonably happy with how they're turning out. I'm obviously not up to what most of the people in this thread turn out but I think they're decent tabletop standard.

What do you guys think about the edge highlighting? It's thicker than I usually see but I sort of like it.

Honestly it looks way to thick and strong to me. Consider what GW edge paints actually are: light pigments, thinned down. Try with less paint on the brush, and just use the edge of the brush. Sometimes the best highlights feel like "why did I bother doing this?" but the overall model looks so much better. Oh, and the yellow is too far for the highlights, the colours don't look sufficiently related.

Otherwise, at your level recess shade might be more effective for getting the models to pop. Especially the metallics, god they look good with wash. Wash is skill in a bottle!

Check this video (I know you're not doing blood angels, but the principles for paint red space marines), especially how they do the red armour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9HzqHVg1uE

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jul 7, 2017

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Sharkman posted:

I think a medium would be best. Water can work but a video on restoring old Citadel paints said they would dry up faster.

I added water years ago to some of my paints that were thickening up (I always painted directly from the little lip on the cap) and have never had a problem with them drying. The caps on those bottles just seal too well, especially with the dry paint ring that forms at the seal. Obviously, a medium isn't going to cause you any problems, but don't go out of your way to pick some up.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Is there any specific matte medium in the Vallejo range that would work?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Arcturas posted:

Is there any specific matte medium in the Vallejo range that would work?

I would just use Vallejo Thinner Medium.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Wazzu posted:

Check this video (I know you're not doing blood angels, but the principles for paint red space marines), especially how they do the red armour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9HzqHVg1uE

I'm a dirty cheater

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

bonds0097 posted:

I would just use Vallejo Thinner Medium.

Thanks! It's frustrating how GW can't be bothered to use normal names for stuff and, as a result, I have no idea what to look for when I get other companies' products.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
We just got hit by a major rainstorm and I'm still waiting for the humidity to get low enough to prime my models and try out the new approach for yellow. In the interim I'm having a ton of fun scouring my bits box to hack apart some of these Primaris models and get rid of the stupid stuff like Marines not wearing helmets and characters not carrying power swords.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
What's the scale comparison for old style marine hands with Primaris? Can I chop a Primaris ancient's hand & bolt rifle off and put a normal marine sword hand in its place without it looking comically tiny?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ineptmule posted:

What's the scale comparison for old style marine hands with Primaris? Can I chop a Primaris ancient's hand & bolt rifle off and put a normal marine sword hand in its place without it looking comically tiny?

The hands look identical. I plan on doing the same thing as you.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

We just got hit by a major rainstorm and I'm still waiting for the humidity to get low enough to prime my models and try out the new approach for yellow. In the interim I'm having a ton of fun scouring my bits box to hack apart some of these Primaris models and get rid of the stupid stuff like Marines not wearing helmets and characters not carrying power swords.

Obligatory recommendation that you can use the normally airbrushable Vallejo Surface Primer with a regular brush. I've done this before (as the black base coat of zenithal priming), and as long as your brush is clean and you're working in a largely dust-free area, the primer shrinks nicely into all the details on the mini. Humidity defeated!

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Does anyone have a good recipe for Reasonable Marines in olive green armor? I have some spare Intercessors and I want to paint a few different chapters for display

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Obligatory recommendation that you can use the normally airbrushable Vallejo Surface Primer with a regular brush. I've done this before (as the black base coat of zenithal priming), and as long as your brush is clean and you're working in a largely dust-free area, the primer shrinks nicely into all the details on the mini. Humidity defeated!

It's a bit more complicated than that. Fortunately I have plenty of mold lines to scrape while I wait.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's a bit more complicated than that. Fortunately I have plenty of mold lines to scrape while I wait.

Not really, I've had great success with the black version. You just need to make sure it's not pooling too much in any one place.

The white and grey are pretty streaky with a brush, though it's not a huge issue once you base coat.

e: I just realized you're doing yellow, in which case you can do two thin coats of white or grey and it will be 95% even. I've done this under reds and oranges and it worked great.

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 7, 2017

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Right, I forgot, you're doing that multi-step priming method to maximize your yellow. Carry on (post pictures please when you're finished, I'm really curious to see how that turns out!)

Sharkman
Dec 7, 2007

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

I would suggest looking into Bluestuff molding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVZLXLaidjQ

I haven't used it myself, but it looks like an easy way to duplicate models, or at least make molds. I think the key is pressure and using the right material, and amount of material for the piece.

Quick question. One, Oyomaru's Blue Stuff appears to be very similar to InstaMorph and other thermoplastics. Can I use that instead, as it seems to be a cheaper alternative?

Two, if it's heat sensitive, it seems like resin would warp the mould while it's curing. I'm guessing I'd need Milliput or some other epoxy?

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Sharkman posted:

Quick question. One, Oyomaru's Blue Stuff appears to be very similar to InstaMorph and other thermoplastics. Can I use that instead, as it seems to be a cheaper alternative?

Two, if it's heat sensitive, it seems like resin would warp the mould while it's curing. I'm guessing I'd need Milliput or some other epoxy?

I'm sure any thermoplastic would work so long as it doesn't activate with super high temperature, so it doesn't obscure your models.

I've seen liquid resin that needs to mix like an epoxy rather than heat, but I can't make any claims as to how good it is. I'm sure anything that stays cooler than the mould would work.

poo poo, probably even greenstuff, or some other two-part epoxy putty, but be aware of materials you use, including their smell and toxicity. Use appropriate protection and ventilation! :science:

You could always try bondo. Bondo is just a polyester resin with a talc filler to thicken it. It has the benefit of being malleable and cheap, as well as not suffering from shrinking because of the talc stabilizing the resin. I've seen people mix in a bit of fiberglass resin too to make it harder, but that might make it impossible to work with.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

dr_ether posted:

Finished the Tzaangors

And so the entire warband is done for skirmish

Holy poo poo dude, please post your recipe for that skin! :eyepop:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Airbrushing yellow worked great. Sepia wash, not so much.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Airbrushing yellow worked great. Sepia wash, not so much.

drat what happened? I was just about to spray some wash on my death guard.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
At a guess, too much much pressure or too much shade in one area made it start running. Also, I can see neat sepia being too strong a colour for the yellow.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

At a guess, too much much pressure or too much shade in one area made it start running. Also, I can see neat sepia being too strong a colour for the yellow.

Yeah, that's what happened. I just sprayed it on to see what would happen, and it turned into a blotchy mess. So now I will try gloss coating and painting it on. I'm using GW gloss wash so I want the recesses to see most of the liquid.

I do like what the sepia does to the yellow though. Adds a really nice golden hue. Also I really like using white as a highlight between ink layers.

Currently trying this method:

Brown/Bone/White Zenithal Layers
Yellow Ink Spray
White Edge Highlight
Yellow Ink Spray
Gloss Coat
Brush Sepia
Matte Coat

The thing I love the most is that it's incredibly fast and lends itself to batch painting.

Also has anyone had success with using pencils for highlighting?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Only when it comes to showing exposed metal. And you need to seal it afterwards.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Well that didn't work. Brushing sepia over the yellow causes the same problems, even with a gloss coat. It just looks dirty, which is weird because if I do it the other way (sepia then ink) it actually looks pretty good. I wanted to see if I could get better contrast and yellows by going ink then sepia, but clearly that's not viable. Going to use the airbrush with the following method and see how it works out:

Brown/Bone/White Zenithal
Sepia
White Highlight
Yellow Ink
White Highlight
Yellow ink

I probably need to accept that whatever I do will likely take longer than I want. At least I am remembering how to use the airbrush.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 8, 2017

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Obviously it looks a lot flatter than your technique probably does, but I go with:
White undercoat, Averland, secondary colours then clean up with Averland), Flash gitz, Reikland in the recesses, then highlight Sunburst & White 1:1.

It comes out like this

That needs some tinkering with for the highlight, and I'd like to try out liquid masking the secondary colours and airbrushing the Flash Gitz on for speed. And I'm going to switch to using the gloss version of Reikland, maybe over a quick gloss coat.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Obviously it looks a lot flatter than your technique probably does, but I go with:
White undercoat, Averland, secondary colours then clean up with Averland), Flash gitz, Reikland in the recesses, then highlight Sunburst & White 1:1.

It comes out like this

That needs some tinkering with for the highlight, and I'd like to try out liquid masking the secondary colours and airbrushing the Flash Gitz on for speed. And I'm going to switch to using the gloss version of Reikland, maybe over a quick gloss coat.

Holy crap those are gorgeous, please post more of your stuff!

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Just to.make sure: Patriot 105 is the go to airbrush for priming and basecoats right? I already have a SOTAR for detail work.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

HardCoil posted:

Just to.make sure: Patriot 105 is the go to airbrush for priming and basecoats right? I already have a SOTAR for detail work.

I would certainly swear by it. Primes and basecoats like a champ, super easy to clean and you can get replacement parts (like if you're and idiot like me and bend the needle) really easily.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Hamshot posted:

Holy poo poo dude, please post your recipe for that skin! :eyepop:

Zenithal Prime first.
Using just Scale 75 paints from the Fantasy Games range.
Then airbrushing from beneath, Eldanil Violet, then highlight via airbrush with Lendanis Grey. Wash with Hastur Purple. With a brush now highlight with Harvester Flesh, and then Moonray Flesh. For tints to make them look more magical, go in with glazes of some dark red or dark green to patches of the skin.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

HardCoil posted:

I use it for everything. It's dope as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

bonds0097 posted:

I would certainly swear by it. Primes and basecoats like a champ, super easy to clean and you can get replacement parts (like if you're and idiot like me and bend the needle) really easily.

Patriot is indeed amazing for those things. Priming, basecoating, and varnishing.

And bending your needle is a rite of passage for an airbrush owner. You just don't understand how delicate the things are until you do it at least once. Luckily it's only like :10bux: