Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
As long as y'all admit to being hypocrites it's ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

EvilJoven posted:

poo poo, even during childhood in the 80s I was hearing in the media about how we'd all be hosed if we didn't change course.
And oil companies deliberately suppressed the science, they funded anti-science propaganda, and they did all this knowing the science was true

But no, these guys deserve a seat at the table. We can't ignore them, they're important. We need to keep them happy. Because jobs.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

EvilJoven posted:

poo poo, even during childhood in the 80s I was hearing in the media about how we'd all be hosed if we didn't change course.

This is precisely why the urgency of the matter completely fails to register for most people. Telling someone "Your house is on fire, get the gently caress out." is an immediate hazard, easy to understand and act on. But no matter how much science, graphs and data you show them, people fail to grasp the abstract, indirect threat from constant consumption, carbon emissions, etc. that ultimately materializes as climate change. The fact that science has been warning everyone for 30 years doesn't make people more receptive, it just dulls the threat even more.

edit: It's not the article where I originally read about this, but this Time article does a good job of explaining some of the social research that's been done to understand why the scientific warnings about climate change are being ignored by the public.

Jan fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 12, 2016

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Helsing posted:

My concern is that the Manifesto is tone deaf and suffused with a kind of left-wing self righteousness that I personally don't mind but which I cannot imagine working well during a political campaign. I think it's overall a positive step that the party is debating something so far beyond the current mainstream debate but I would be extremely uncomfortable trying to fight an election with something modeled on this document.

Basing the party's environmental platform around the stern chiding of a bunch of downtowners who work in cultural industries doesn't seem to me like a path to greater influence inside or outside of Parliament.

I don't immediately have a better alternative to offer but my personal preference (presented here as a vague set of ideas rather than a finalized plan) would be for the party's to base its appeal around a more populist message, trying to drum up anti-media, anti-elite and anti-corporate sentiment. The message should be about getting some other bastard with a bigger pay check than yours bastards to sacrifice. Even if that message doesn't tell the whole story (realistically, middle class taxes and expenses might have to increase) but in terms of election sloganeering I'd prefer to focus on drumming up class resentment and telling people to feel angry rather than guilty.

There's the policy, and then there's the job of selling the policy and convincing people that we need to start moving things in that direction now. There have been so many documentaries about climate change and the tar sands and so much exposure to this idea in the public media, that I don't think awareness is really an issue any more. People are just in denial.

I don't know how you tie that into populist outrage, and get people motivated to even just start to make the changes that we need to make. Oil and mining companies have been running roughshod for decades, but it's only when their negligence reaches a crescendo (say during an oil or chemical spill) that anything happens, and even then the response is dragged out over so many years that people forget why they were angry in the first place when the punishment is reduced or overturned on appeal. It doesn't help that we're all complicit in climate change, and the cure - if there is one - seems harsher than the ailment.

But someone in power has to start explicitly stating the changes that need to be made. Will it result in all carbon emitting sources of power being replaced by renewable (or nuclear) sources in 2050 worldwide or even in Canada? I really doubt it, sadly. But for forces like the Alberta and BC NDP to array against their own federal party on this issue while left-leaning individuals hem and haw about the optics raises a lot of cause for doubt that anything will change.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
You know, one year probably in our lifetimes there will be such a crop disaster caused by climate change that 10s if not 100s of millions of people will starve.

If that still sounds alarmist, knowing everything we do in 2016, then you may also be in denial.

e: Not us though, we'll be fine here in North America.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

You know, one year probably in our lifetimes there will be such a crop disaster caused by climate change that 10s if not 100s of millions of people will starve.

If that still sounds alarmist, knowing everything we do in 2016, then you may also be in denial.

e: Not us though, we'll be fine here in North America.

Isn't this the basis of the food security argument and the underpinning of Canada's agriboard monopolies? It's a good thing we aren't trying to systemically dismantle such things for more profits

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 12, 2016

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Cultural Imperial posted:

As long as y'all admit to being hypocrites it's ok

I am a hippogriff.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
i'm sure we'll be fine because we'll all be saved by the hipster artisanal farms in pemberton growing single vine arugula and small batch blackberries

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
can you imagine weed mentat frank's happy place's alligator tears when growops start getting expropriated for emergency food production lol

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Does Vancouver even have any growops? It seems like it would synergize well in terms of profit margins in comparison to having actual people renting from your RE equity holdings.

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 12, 2016

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

jm20 posted:

Does Vancouver even have any growops?

what the

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
My dad says that in the 70s scientists were heralding a new ice age and now suddenly it's going to get hotter geez scientists make up you're mind and also this is why we can't trust you ever I bet you're pockets are being lined by rich people trying to stamp out our way of life you're just jealous

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

jm20 posted:

Does Vancouver even have any growops? It seems like it synergize well in terms of profit margins in comparison to having actual people renting from your RE equity holdings.

Nope, they all relocated to Surrey for cheaper housing and to avoid paying tolls.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

You know, downtown with the 4million dollar teardowns making topshelf Canadian WEED, oils, and edibles.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

DariusLikewise posted:

Winnipeg Radio host who spent all of last year defending Winnipeg against the Maclean's "Most Racist City in Canada" article makes and posts 2 incredibly racist and sexist music videos(with a 3rd one that never will see the light of day)

Just burn Winnipeg to the ground and salt the earth

I have a ton of people on my Facebook feed just crying about "SJW BULLSHIT PC PARADE".

When the joke is simply, "Native people stab and steal bikes" "Wolsley is full of lesbians and they have hairy armpits" - it's weak as hell, there is no joke except racism and sexism.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
are people seriously defending the tpp in here because they think it is structured like trade deals were 100 years ago. lmao

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

In the video games I play trade treaties give bonus income to each country and improve relations, trade deals are good because they make economy strong.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Baronjutter posted:

In the video games I play trade treaties give bonus income to each country and improve relations, trade deals are good because they make economy strong.

Would you be interested in a trade agreement with England Trumpland?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

can you imagine weed mentat frank's happy place's alligator tears when growops start getting expropriated for emergency food production lol

there isn't going to be any good farmland left to expropriate at the rate canada is going

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Dreylad posted:

there isn't going to be any good farmland left to expropriate at the rate canada is going

Global warming is going to turn the canadian shield into the world's bread basket.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...eningitis-death

Guys GUYS, we need to respect everyone's personal view on healthcare and embrace alternative medicine so that we can

Note that they ignored the advice of a naturopath to get the child to a real doctor.

When we're hanging naturopaths with the guts of economists maybe we should spare that one.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Pinterest Mom posted:

NDP leaderchat:

Alexandre Boulerice is interested

Some Québec activists and former MPs are trying to draft Tom to lead a NPD-Québec.

If it finally kills the LPQ I'm all for it.

gently caress the LPQ forever and ever.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Hexigrammus posted:

Note that they ignored the advice of a naturopath to get the child to a real doctor.

When we're hanging naturopaths with the guts of economists maybe we should spare that one.

"It's all fun and games when I'm just taking your money and giving you nonsense in return, but this person seems seriously ill and needs to go to a real doctor and receive actual treatment."

Hmm, still seems slightly unethical.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Baronjutter posted:

Global warming is going to turn the canadian shield into the world's bread basket.
Agriculture requires more than just temperature. The glacial till over the shield can barely be considered soil.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Luckily we've been preparing the soil in Northern Alberta by removing all the nasty bitumen from it :v:

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

cowofwar posted:

Agriculture requires more than just temperature. The glacial till over the shield can barely be considered soil.
Pfft whatever we'll just truck in soil from the deserts of southern Alberta. That dirt came from the tundra originally, anyhow.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

cowofwar posted:

yeah lol. the russians? theyre gonna be laughin, siberia's gonna open right up. we can't do poo poo with slightly warmer exposed bedrock and muskeg that we aren't already doing there. the handful of good soil zones will benefit so uhhhh im eagerly awaiting the windfall from the glorious breadbasket that will be the sudbury basin

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Have some Good Ol' Boy, eastern Ontario comedy, CanPol thread:

Reevely: MPP Jack MacLaren touts praise from phantom constituents

David Reevely posted:

West-end MPP Jack MacLaren has decorated his website with testimonials from people he appears to have made up.

Every politician likes to be known for helping residents and voters one on one. It’s the unglamorous but sometimes most important part of the job. The Carleton-Mississippi Mills Progressive Conservative makes more of his record on that than most politicians, with a whole section of his website devoted to thank-yous.

Here’s an odd thing about Scott, though. He’s a dapper, middle-aged fellow. His photo was first posted to the Internet in 2007, by a photographer in The Hague, in the Netherlands, who liked his hat. Scott must have found the image on the Internet himself — there’s no name attached to it — and sent it to MacLaren years later to use next to his name. In fairness, it is a very nice photo.

Suren from Kanata thanks MacLaren for “the commitment and dedication on your part with the communities,” whatever that means. According to the person who photographed her, the picture was taken in 2013 in San Francisco. It’s been used elsewhere on web pages selling beauty products to women of colour.

We’re in danger of getting used to Jack MacLaren’s buffoonery, just as we are used to Cheryl Gallant’s and Donald Trump’s. He seems impervious to shame about advancing nonsensical ideas about how old British constitutional ideas protect land rights, or about being abusive to a female MP. On his own website, now, he presents himself like a set of revolutionary kitchen shears or a real-estate investment scheme that Lisa from Nebraska says is making her $5,400 a week for just eight hours of work.

If he doesn’t feel any shame about his shtick, the people who keep electing him should.

I'm clipping it for brevity's sake, but the pictures are pretty good.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 13, 2016

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Ambrose Burnside posted:

are people seriously defending the tpp in here because they think it is structured like trade deals were 100 years ago. lmao

I'm thinking it's more of a descendant of the palm oil based trade agreements between various nations in Europe and Africa 200 years ago. Africa is feeling the affects of the raping unfettered, untaxed, and unregulated markets of that period.

The more things change, the more the 1% stay the same.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

cowofwar posted:

:thejoke:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

If it finally kills the LPQ I'm all for it.

gently caress the LPQ forever and ever.

He might run into difficulties if he has body parts missing.
https://twitter.com/natnewswatch/status/720008246010978304

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Ambrose Burnside posted:

im eagerly awaiting the windfall from the glorious breadbasket that will be the sudbury basin

The actual Sudbury Basin is already crop land. The impact crater was the perfect place for a ton of soil to get deposited over the last few ice ages. :eng101:

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

BallsFalls posted:

My understanding was that the commercial division (CANDU) was sold but AECL still exists as a crown corporation that does nuclear R&D or am I wrong?

Correct, sort of.

Ikantski posted:

Nah, AECL is owned by SNC now. Probably a good move if you care about the planet, the NDP won't be able to use it to halt nuclear expansion if somehow they get into power.

Partially true. The CANDU division of AECL was sold off to SNC-Lavalin, which basically involved IP assets, office buildings in Mississauga and the employees that worked there. The research reactor (NRU) up at Chalk River still belongs to the government. If there is any commercial design for a typical-scale reactor to be developed, SNC would be the ones doing it in Canada from now on.

Now, if anyone has been paying attention to the latest hot-poo poo in nuclear, going the route of Small Modular Reactor (SMR) is what various countries are attempting to do. The UK is dumping millions at this prospect to fill the future energy demands of their country as their old reactor fleet comes to end-of-life. The idea being, instead of building units that produce 800MW to 1000MW or more that require a decade from shovel-in-ground to energy on the grid, you build a series of small units that produce ~100MW each and can be up and running somewhere around 3-5 years. You build a factory to pump them out regularly so you can maintain the brain trust to build it, maintain job demand and meet future energy growth by escalating or scaling back production. By standardizing the design and manufacture, savings would be possible that the typical-scale reactor would not be able to achieve. Nobody has been able to do it, but there is enough money and interesting in developing SMRs that they will happen.

So where does that put Canada? SNC are largely ignoring SMR potential because they need to turn a buck from the CANDU IP and R&D they paid (next to nothing) for. So maybe what is left of AECL could build the SMR then, right? Wrong. First, what was left of AECL up at Chalk River transitioned to a GoCo model of ownership and rebranded as Canadian Nulcear Laboratories (CNL). AECL still lives on as a shell company to act as a go-between for the Federal government and CNL. Why? Because a GoCo model of ownership means the government owns the physical assets, and a contractor controls and operates the soft assets (people). So the current contractor that won the bid for the next 4 years to operate CNL is CNEA, which is a conglomerate of corporations that primarily have expertise in waste management. Only one corporation in said conglomerate has expertise in R&D (give you one hint which corporation that is). So, really, there is going to be next to zero interest in R&D by the new operators of this R&D facility. Mostly focusing on burying all the legacy problems that come with a nuclear facility that has been around since the Manhattan Project and has not cleaned up once. Ever. But nobody cares because it is in the middle of bumfuck nowhere and the fact hardly anybody even realizes it exists is part of the problem.

And, when it comes down to it, CI is right about Canada so absolutely none of this should come as a surprise to anybody. We will probably wait for the UK to perfect their SMR tech before buying it from them than do it ourselves, and any typical-scale reactor built in the mean time will most likely be a decades-old previous-gen CANDU design because SNC bailouts.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Snc can suck my dick from the back, seriously. gently caress those idiots. Couldn't engineer their way out a money stuffed wet paper bag.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
What was that dumb rear end in a top hat from Calgary saying about great Canadian companies? We've got open text, the Westons, and uh

BallsFalls
Oct 18, 2013
I present to you, #RealChange

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

quote:

Canada’s export-control regime clearly stipulates that Ottawa must not issue export permits for weapons sales to countries with poor human-rights records “unless it can be demonstrated that there is no reasonable risk that the goods might be used against the civilian population.” Saudi Arabia regularly ranks among the “worst of the worst” on human rights by Freedom House.

In the memo to Mr. Dion, Global Affairs officials choose their words carefully. They say that of the many light armoured vehicles sold to Saudi Arabia by Canada in years past, there is no proof they have been deployed to abuse people.

“To the best of the department’s knowledge, there have been no incidents where they have been used in the perpetration of human-rights violations,” the memo says.

lmao

bunnyofdoom you loving sack of poo poo

explain yourself you motherfucker

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
by the way, everyone from London Ontario, get loving hosed you fucks

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

by the way, everyone from London Ontario, get loving hosed you fucks

But London is poised to become the next Kitchener!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Ha-ha isn't London 2 hours away when the traffic isn't complete poo poo?

Ontario vehicles are going to need sleeper cabs at this rate.