Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

not great not terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

having a second before ditching work for a personal appointment

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

3rd cup extremely rear end, the purest brown eye.

will not keep it on the warmer for so long next time.

overall mr coffee experience: pretty okay, glad to have an entirely eaten rear end

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Nobody Interesting posted:

3rd cup extremely rear end, the purest brown eye.

will not keep it on the warmer for so long next time.

overall mr coffee experience: pretty okay, glad to have an entirely eaten rear end

lol

if you try letting it cool and then nuking it i’m curious to see if you prefer it

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

its so much better just reheated. coffee left on the counter all night and microwaved the enxt morning tastes better than a pot left on the burner for a bit

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

PokeJoe posted:

its so much better just reheated. coffee left on the counter all night and microwaved the enxt morning tastes better than a pot left on the burner for a bit

oh totally agree

i used to just bring cold coffee to work and keep in the fridge, then heat later rather than drink stuff from the break room lol

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i don't know how I never thought to do that with the work coffee 🤔

I once resorted to bringing a french press but it's too big a pain in the rear end to clean and deal with the grounds at work

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Remember that time in cjs some guy had a coworker sweeten the whole communal pot of coffee? i remember

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

my job had near 1k employees and like 4 coffee pots. people were good about brewing more coffee, but the instructions were 1 satchel thing per pot. That was like 4TB and not near enough!!! I ended up bringing my aeropress in and using the hot water dispenser when i wanted the good juice.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

PokeJoe posted:

i don't know how I never thought to do that with the work coffee 🤔

I once resorted to bringing a french press but it's too big a pain in the rear end to clean and deal with the grounds at work

if i’m at that point i just do pourovers since you just dump it in the trash and rinse

PokeJoe posted:

Remember that time in cjs some guy had a coworker sweeten the whole communal pot of coffee? i remember

cursed

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i hate the term “french press” for cafetière, it sounds like a euphemism for a low-key sexual assault on a crowded train

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

i hate the term “french press” for cafetière, it sounds like a euphemism for a low-key sexual assault on a crowded train

lmao i have never made that connotation once in my life

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
I just use a cell cracker for my coffee instead.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

jesus WEP posted:

lol

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

jesus WEP posted:

Cafetière just means coffeemaker, my Jesus. It's helpful to have a more specific term.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

velcom 2 coffee pres channl

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry

ThePopeOfFun posted:

I ended up bringing my aeropress in and using the hot water dispenser when i wanted the good juice.

yeah aeropress was the best thing I could come up with for the office. good quick coffee, the puck of grounds just ejected into the trash, and easy to clean up. beat the hell out of the various terrible coffee services they tried

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

PokeJoe posted:

lol

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

that’s just wrong

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

MononcQc posted:

that’s just wrong

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ThePopeOfFun posted:

my job had near 1k employees and like 4 coffee pots. people were good about brewing more coffee, but the instructions were 1 satchel thing per pot. That was like 4TB and not near enough!!! I ended up bringing my aeropress in and using the hot water dispenser when i wanted the good juice.

yeah I'm still rolling with the clever dripper. 100 days in and it's working well, plus the hot water thermos limits me to 3 cups so it puts a limit over my consumption. down from the 5-6 cups a day i'd have before lunch at oldjob. working more 12+ hour days here though, i might need to start refilling the thermos at midday if this keeps up.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Inspired by these reports to use my old steel French press to make cold brew. Should I leave it on the counter or the fridge

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

absolutely the fridge, poo poo will grow in it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

like you can brew it at room temp for a while if you want before fridging it but i don’t see the point really. i’m pro just grinding and steeping overnight in the fridge

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
idk how people do cold coffee steeps. I've tried it a few times and it is impossible to separate the brew from the grounds

it just sits in the filter if you try to filter it pourover style, and the resistance is too high to push a french press down onto. every time I've tried it I've wished for a kitchen centrifuge

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i pour mine through a wire mesh drink strainer

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Corla Plankun posted:

idk how people do cold coffee steeps. I've tried it a few times and it is impossible to separate the brew from the grounds

it just sits in the filter if you try to filter it pourover style, and the resistance is too high to push a french press down onto. every time I've tried it I've wished for a kitchen centrifuge

you just gotta change the filter. i'll use two plain old #2 filters for cold brewing 100g of beans.

and yeah it might take a few minutes to drip but it'll get there eventually.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

PokeJoe posted:

i pour mine through a wire mesh drink strainer

same. additionally you could buy some superbags / nut milk bags and just pour through that but i’m not sure about ease of rinsing.

fisting by many posted:

you just gotta change the filter. i'll use two plain old #2 filters for cold brewing 100g of beans.

and yeah it might take a few minutes to drip but it'll get there eventually.

i don’t use #2 because they’re too small for me for this but i will occasionally use a second filter as well if it is too slow

anyway yeah between the strainer and then coffee filter it’s not too slow most of the time

mr Scoop
Feb 13, 2006

Help! Someone! Cut my head off, it's trying to murder the rest of me!

Grimey Drawer
yeah a wire mesh strainer to filter out the bigger grounds and then paper filter for the fines has suited my needs
i’ve tried cheesecloth and it works pretty well but cleaning it is more of a hassle

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

mediaphage posted:

like you can brew it at room temp for a while if you want before fridging it but i don’t see the point really. i’m pro just grinding and steeping overnight in the fridge
Yeah sadly I was not custom grinding but I have prepared the vessel and it is now in the refrigerator awaiting the justice of the morning* (11:20 AM or so)

I figure I will pour it into my usual previous method which is a pour over with a #4 filter if the French Pressin' doesn't mostly handle the grounds

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Nessus posted:

Yeah sadly I was not custom grinding but I have prepared the vessel and it is now in the refrigerator awaiting the justice of the morning* (11:20 AM or so)

I figure I will pour it into my usual previous method which is a pour over with a #4 filter if the French Pressin' doesn't mostly handle the grounds

right on!

i really do recommend dumping through a classic metal screen strainer first if you have one lying around. just make sure you do it over a bowl and not the sink because you’re working on spaghetti memory

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

mediaphage posted:

right on!

i really do recommend dumping through a classic metal screen strainer first if you have one lying around. just make sure you do it over a bowl and not the sink because you’re working on spaghetti memory
I'm not sure I do, will the French press be an adequate substitute or will I risk missing precious coffee

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i think the issue is probably just that i make a lot more at a time lol

if everything will fit in your drench press it should work great. i would still run it through a paper filter after tho

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

:cheersdoge: but with coffee

yeah I just made like a test batch, if I do it For Real I will probably use larger containers

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

should've taken today off after skipping out early yesterday. oh well, at least i'm making coffee :coffeepal:

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry

Nessus posted:

:cheersdoge: but with coffee

yeah I just made like a test batch, if I do it For Real I will probably use larger containers

I make a bunch of concentrate at a time so it really doesn’t fit in the fridge. it’s fine to steep at room temp for 12-ish hours, which is as long as I’d want to go anyway because it extracts faster when it’s warmer.

as far as the filtering I’m also a fan of cheesecloth or dedicated thin kitchen towel to get the bulk of grounds out. for the silt, I’ve sometimes just let it sit in the fridge overnight to let it settle then decanted the coffee into another container.

i’ve posted about it before but at some point I got impatient with how long it took/got nostalgic about college chem lab and put together a vacuum filtration rig. total overkill and silly but it gets the silt out a lot faster

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
omg that rules. does that hose go off to a sink with running water to pull a vacuum?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

These congo beans are mild and savory

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry

Corla Plankun posted:

omg that rules. does that hose go off to a sink with running water to pull a vacuum?

I originally did it with a hand vacuum pump which was a terrible idea, but I got a small lab pump a few years ago that pulls something like a .2 bar vacuum.

mine is this because at the time it was the only small pump I could find that wasn’t $$$ but Amazon has a bunch of similar-looking ones for cheaper now.

edit: \/ \/ \/ yeah I was starting from scratch so all my parts were brand new anyway

lousy hat fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i considered doing the same, ive got a bunch of those filter flasks laying around but none i'd feel comfortable with putting food in