Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Veotax posted:

I didn't touch my Touch controllers for a couple of months once and the Eneloops I had in them were completely dead when I picked them back up, they don't even charge anymore.

Now I take the batteries out after I'm done with them.

Enerloops can be "too dead" to charge. Doesn’t mean they’re actually dead. I have a Lacrosse charger that can charge "dead" Enerloops by plugging the battery in to charge, then shorting the ends of the charger bank where that battery is. The Lacrosse is a smart charger though, and this may not work on a regular dumb charger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Seems weird that the touch controllers would use up all the charge of an eneloop, It's not like it's a toy train, the controller should notice that the battery is below a certain voltage and not try to do anything. Though if you have a power supply that can do constant voltage and constant current, you can sometimes bring a battery back from the dead.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 6, 2017

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Sounding good.

‘So far ahead of the Vive and Oculus it’s ridiculous’... yeah baby, put that poo poo right in my veins..
Might even add the $100 for the Leap Motion module. Barely any use cases at the moment but there’s sure to be more as the tech becomes more common.

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 6, 2017

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Chadzok posted:

Sounding good.

‘So far ahead of the Vive and Oculus it’s ridiculous’... yeah baby, put that poo poo right in my veins..
Might even add the $100 for the Leap Motion module. Barely any use cases at the moment but there’s sure to be more as the tech becomes more common.

I'm fairly confident you can just buy a Leap Motion on eBay for $20 and stick it to the front with VHB to save some money there... that's what I did for my Rift before Touch was released.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Zero VGS posted:

I'm fairly confident you can just buy a Leap Motion on eBay for $20 and stick it to the front with VHB to save some money there... that's what I did for my Rift before Touch was released.

It’s a newer version, with apparently fairly impressive field of operation, and also uses the modular.. USB plug I think, built into the bottom of the PiMAX. Seems like that part of the demo has been consistently impressive to people who have used Leap before.

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 7, 2017

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Thanks for the suggestions on using command strips. I had used those on the 3d printed mounts for the cameras and they are solid, so I grabbed a dozen medium strips, used them to strap the 3rd camera cable across the ceiling. Not the prettiest with a strip every 2 foot, though I expect it to hold.

Strongly considering a 4th camera after setting up this new apartment. I have around 7' x 10' set now and that 10' could go to 13'+, though I'm not sure the use. This 10' is the limit I could get my controller to see and it could get occluded. Gonna put some hours in, maybe try some other positions for them.

If they do gen 2 with cameras, I hope they have more distance and fish eyed to make mounting painless.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I'm thinking gen 2 is all inside out tracking. Apparently Microsoft nailed it for the headset, so I imagine you just put more cameras in the controllers as well. No more external setup.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug

Veotax posted:

I didn't touch my Touch controllers for a couple of months once and the Eneloops I had in them were completely dead when I picked them back up, they don't even charge anymore.

Now I take the batteries out after I'm done with them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICne0ZyZ3IA

You, uh, don't need the tongs. Just something conductive. The tongs are just for style. I've had some clocks flatten my eneloops, and this has always saved them.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Enos Cabell posted:

I followed that guide back when I got my Rift and couldn't get it working at all.
If you're still interested, there seem to be lots of tips for various issues in the comments on that page. Certainly looks like a bunch of people have it working. Only issue for me is that a blu ray drive is like £50.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

FormatAmerica posted:

Are you having problems with battery drain? I just set my headset and controllers down, close Oculus home after my play sessions and haven't had to worry about it. I use AmazonBasics AAs.

Sorry i forgot i posted here cause i'm retarded. Yes, it's nothing major or anything, but it's obvious that the batteries are being drained while the headset/controllers aren't in use and the Oculus software isn't running.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Inside out tracking is all well and good but personally if it loses tracking on the controllers or even just precision unless its in your FOV its worthless to me. A very high portion of my favorite parts of VR require that.

I wonder when we are gonna get a white water rapids or other rowing style game...

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

Inside out tracking is all well and good but personally if it loses tracking on the controllers or even just precision unless its in your FOV its worthless to me. A very high portion of my favorite parts of VR require that.

I wonder when we are gonna get a white water rapids or other rowing style game...

It's the reason why Leap-Motion isn't that good either.

In real life, yes, most of your hand-movement is directly in your line of sight. In vr games, you're shooting from the hip, swinging swords above your head and otherwise doing things that require roomscale-ish tracking at a minimum.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Put cameras in the controllers

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
There is no reason for the inside out tracking solution to 1:1 your view in VR though? Just place the tracking wider or on the sides of the headset, or in the controllers or in a butt?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Yeah not saying its not a solveable problem. The Vive is already inside out on a techincal level so its obviously solveable. I am just saying any headset and controller combo that fails to solve it is, imo, pretty worthless

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I doubt we'll get really good integrated tracking with controllers any time soon. Unless they find a really good way to mount cameras on a headset that allows it to see a controller no matter where you hold it. Or if they can find a way to mount cameras on a controller, figure out where they are and not kill batteries.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I think even with the microsoft system of controller tracking you could get away with 99% of what you'd need if you paired it with a stationary camera on like a desk that did full body skeletal tracking combined with a good IK model. Even with microsofts the controllers still know their orientation without being visible, so you mix that with the system knowing exactly the position of your arm and I think you would bring its usability to a level where in almost all cases you couldn't tell the difference.

Regardless, anything that requires mounting stuff and running cables is dead by gen 2 for consumers. No one but the fringe wants to fiddle and mount a bunch of poo poo compared to just buying a headset and throwing it on without worrying about anything else. Microsofts headsets already work, its just the controllers that people are raising their eyebrows at, which is a problem I don't exactly consider insurmountable in the least. I could have seen a second generation still using mounted external tracking tools if not for microsoft jumping in already with a standard design and a plethora of headsets that all work so simply and cheaply. At this point it feels like suicide for a product to sit next to something with zero setup and no holes in your wall, on the shelf of a store if its still asking you for this involved setup when 90% of people will never notice the difference.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
re: stock chat: The Pavlov beta now has an option for a virtual stock. People seem to be pretty big fans of it for sniping.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

For anyone that played the From Other Suns beta last week, Gunfire confirmed they've listened to the feedback and already added 2 different types of non head directed movement as options (one onward style and one "thumbstick relative", though I'm not sure what that means exactly) for the final release, among other changes and additions. Really encouraging how open they have been during the beta and regarding suggestions, gotta say I'm looking forward to it now more than ever.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
Just gave the Half-Life VR mod a try and... oof. It's obviously made for the Vive, since I needed to click the thumbstick in order to get the movement controls to respond. That was cumbersome enough, but I was tooling around at a speed that got me temporarily stuck in level geometry constantly, and made me nauseous despite my solid VR legs. Then when I finally picked up the crowbar, it was completely misaligned. Don't even want to think about what some of those much-maligned jumping puzzles would be like with this setup.

Don't think I'll be playing it again unless it gets some significant updates.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
So is there anything out there yet for having a 2nd screen running while playing something like elite yet with a vive?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Scarecow posted:

So is there anything out there yet for having a 2nd screen running while playing something like elite yet with a vive?
OVRDrop or the older and less performant free version OpenVRDesktopDisplayPortal

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Pretty sure HelloV just got Vive support.

e: It was posted in this thread over a week ago, though I can't seem to find it or remember who has been in on the development. I tried it on Oculus and it worked fine, no real performance loss from what I saw, controls were a bit weird.

Phuzun fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 8, 2017

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Just gave the Half-Life VR mod a try and... oof. It's obviously made for the Vive, since I needed to click the thumbstick in order to get the movement controls to respond. That was cumbersome enough, but I was tooling around at a speed that got me temporarily stuck in level geometry constantly, and made me nauseous despite my solid VR legs. Then when I finally picked up the crowbar, it was completely misaligned. Don't even want to think about what some of those much-maligned jumping puzzles would be like with this setup.

Yeah, the collision detection is completely broken. Even with the Vive trackpad, the locomotion it horrible. It's digital, so it's full speed or nothing, and uses the head for movement direction unlike everything else available, and the players collision box is huge. I'm guessing it's because the source code isn't available, and they're just hacking it, plus mapping keyboard inputs to the controllers.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Phuzun posted:

e: It was posted in this thread over a week ago, though I can't seem to find it or remember who has been in on the development. I tried it on Oculus and it worked fine, no real performance loss from what I saw, controls were a bit weird.
If you're using a Vive specifically I'd still go with OVRDrop because using compositor overlays is a better and more compatible approach than what V does

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

I can't find it now but I saw a post somewhere with a fork of the mod that's tweaked for Oculus that fixes some of that stuff.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Phuzun posted:

EdEddnEddy posted:

Hello VR Goons, it's been a while.

Been super busy and still haven't caught up on all the threads I usually frequent.

Anyway, the HelloV team is getting really close to launching our latest update with Vive support. Finally Vive users can see what Oculus users have been able to do for a while in VR.

Currently, we mostly support Unity games and a handful of others with their own engines (Such as Elite Dangerous, Project Cars, etc). Unreal, DX9/DX12 and OpenGL games are still a work in progress but are next on the agenda. Getting SteamVR and Vive support was the target for this release as well as nail a few of the bugs from the previous one. (No longer do you spin with V up in Elite with a HOTAS, Yay!)

There are still a few bugs as well as a few last minute features coming that should make it into the official release. (Key Combo to Disable V input completely once Pinned so you don't accidentally grab a window in a 360 room scale game, and some keyboard pass-through TO V in Elite still happens that will be fixed).

We need some input and feedback on this build before we go ahead and release so if any of you can give it a go and get back to me either here or in our Discord Channel, that would be great.

Download the latest Test build HERE.

Come chat with us on Discord HERE.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
Got Sairento a few days ago and finally had a chance to play it last night - holy crap it makes you feel awesome when you get the hang of it!

I still haven't quite mastered movement though; I've found it works best switching which hand I use for leaping based on which weapon I want to use, so if I want to shoot with my gun in my left hand, I leap with my right. Keeping track of that in the heat of the moment gets tough, and even though I have the triple jump now I'll often find myself in mid air, wanting to shoot but having already started the leap with the shooting hand.

I'm curious as to how inside-out tracking on the next-gen headsets is going to deal with situations where I'm shooting and slicing behind me - I'm guessing probably 25% of the time I'm doing something with my hands outside of my field of view, and removing that ability (or requiring the game to "guess") seems like it's taking away a really neat feature of VR.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
The secret is that inside-out tracking isn't the next gen, it's a detour for undemanding applications.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Inside out is absolutely where things are moving, setting up external hardware and being limited to one area is bullshit and is a huge obstacle to adoption. They need to solve the controller issue (put cameras in them) but once that's done all the headsets will be inside out, I'd bet money on it.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

The Gasmask posted:

Got Sairento a few days ago and finally had a chance to play it last night - holy crap it makes you feel awesome when you get the hang of it!

I still haven't quite mastered movement though; I've found it works best switching which hand I use for leaping based on which weapon I want to use, so if I want to shoot with my gun in my left hand, I leap with my right. Keeping track of that in the heat of the moment gets tough, and even though I have the triple jump now I'll often find myself in mid air, wanting to shoot but having already started the leap with the shooting hand.

I'm curious as to how inside-out tracking on the next-gen headsets is going to deal with situations where I'm shooting and slicing behind me - I'm guessing probably 25% of the time I'm doing something with my hands outside of my field of view, and removing that ability (or requiring the game to "guess") seems like it's taking away a really neat feature of VR.

Haha you'll just start flinging your hand around to move soon enough. poo poo is so ridiculously fun. I use my non dominate hand "most" of the time unless I'm swapping weapons or something. But really once you get used to abusing the slo mo and all that you'll feel less panicky?

As far as shooting with the hand you started a leap with. Leap, then Hold the movement button. Enjoy the slow mo neo moment.

I need to try out the coop alpha stuff. Really curious how that's going to work out.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Rectus posted:

Yeah, the collision detection is completely broken. Even with the Vive trackpad, the locomotion it horrible. It's digital, so it's full speed or nothing, and uses the head for movement direction unlike everything else available, and the players collision box is huge. I'm guessing it's because the source code isn't available, and they're just hacking it, plus mapping keyboard inputs to the controllers.

It's pretty messed up, but getting high quality positionally tracked input (for the HMD and controllers) is a pretty big step. Provided it's cleaned up, it could end up working quite well.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Serious Sam Last Hope is so drat good especially now in full release. Such an epic game, wow. Unloading with the dual rocket launchers with the time slow power activated into the maw of a 25 story tall headcrab while you hang off the side of a cliff with 20 jets flying around you in fast loops, gets the old bloodlust going nicely.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I tried Project Cars 2 over the weekend and it does a really good job of avoiding most of the configuration annoyances I've run into in other non-VR exclusive games. The whole thing is just really immersive with the car cockpits, pit crews, changing weather, working mirrors, etc. I actually tried to flip people off a couple of times during an open-wheeler race because I kept forgetting it wasn't tracking my hands.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I'm getting a Vive, Rift, and HoloLens for a collaboration space between our Digital Media and Computer Science programs. Is there anything else I should consider getting or will those 3 cover my bases?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

To what end?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

GWBBQ posted:

I'm getting a Vive, Rift, and HoloLens for a collaboration space between our Digital Media and Computer Science programs. Is there anything else I should consider getting or will those 3 cover my bases?

It might be worth considering one of the better mobile VR devices like Gear VR or Daydream if you have suitable phones available. They're less sophisticated but they're cheap, untethered and not as poo poo as Hololens so they'll be more convenient for some projects, especially if people want to demo their projects outside the lab.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I was told they have VR and AR projects going (no idea what that means) and they asked if there's anything else out there they should consider. I have no idea, that's why I'm asking here. Phones are a no-go because of inventory control issues, but I'll mention Gear and Daydream headsets.. Why is the Holelens poo poo?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

GWBBQ posted:

I was told they have VR and AR projects going (no idea what that means) and they asked if there's anything else out there they should consider. I have no idea, that's why I'm asking here. Phones are a no-go because of inventory control issues, but I'll mention Gear and Daydream headsets.. Why is the Holelens poo poo?

GearVR and Daydream are both enclosures for phones, so if you're not providing phones yourselves they'd only be useful to students with compatible phones.

The biggest issue with the Hololens is the field of view; it can only display AR content in a small square in front of the user, compared to almost all other headsets which aim to fill as much as possible of the user's field of vision. It's the only thing on the market right now that does what it does, but there are good reasons Microsoft have not made it a consumer product and likely never will.

For VR there are a lot of devices out there now, and a lot of new ones are coming out this month under the Windows Holographic label, but for most purposes they're all pretty much the same. In some ways even having both Rift and Vive is overkill; neither of them does anything important that the other doesn't. The only genuinely new things that might be worth considering are the "merged reality" headsets included in the Windows Holographic line, which promise that they'll combine the FOV of full headsets with the AR support of Hololens; they're very much unproven, though, and until a decent number of people get their hands on them we won't know whether they can fulfil those goals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I knew those two were just phone holders, I'm not sure what most students have. Thanks for all the info, I'm going to see if they want to wait for Windows Holographic. I know Vive and Rift are pretty much overlapping, but there are people who demand one and won't use the other on both sides.