Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

'Self-care' is just so loving cute in the most sarcastic possible way. 'You don't have the time or money to get help for your problems because we're working you to the bone for minimum wage, indulge yourself desperately instead!'

https://twitter.com/tinycarebot/status/1063027608978370560

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

self care is merely another capitalist ersatz for the devastated organic community that would historically provide such services

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

'Self-care' is just so loving cute in the most sarcastic possible way. 'You don't have the time or money to get help for your problems because we're working you to the bone for minimum wage, indulge yourself desperately instead!'

Especially since it was yoinked from people who work with others' trauma and turned cynically that way. "Don't overwork yourself listening to people talk about how they were raped as children" turned into "your life is so grueling and terrible, have a treaty-treat for being a good boy!"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Ghost Leviathan posted:

during recessions we also see upticks in consumption of cheaper luxury goods like makeup and ice cream it's a p well-known phenomenon

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Uhm, actually, ice-cream is a Giffen good.

Dec 26, 2012

ajkalan posted:

Who the gently caress wants to be talked down to like this, who is the target market.

that chapo bit about everything slowly turning into baby ads and every food service ad telling you you’re a goody good boy who deserves a treat is still extremely accurate

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
its weird how extensively infantalized millennials are. millennial is basically a synonym for teenager now. people still say stuff like "when your generation joins the workforce..." even though the youngest millennials are at least 22.

i really wonder why this is. is it because were unable to attain any of the traditional signifiers of adulthood like homeownership? is it a result of marketing towards millennials not changing since we were teens?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

its weird how extensively infantalized millennials are. millennial is basically a synonym for teenager now. people still say stuff like "when your generation joins the workforce..." even though the youngest millennials are at least 22.

i really wonder why this is. is it because were unable to attain any of the traditional signifiers of adulthood like homeownership? is it a result of marketing towards millennials not changing since we were teens?

it's just a rhetorical illusion propped up by the sheer convenience of it all. I don't think it's really based on any observable characteristics like that because that would be tantamount to acknowledging millenials have been systematically prevented from reaching those milestones

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

systematically prevented from reaching those
milestones by the siren song of avacado toast

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

I'm 30, have been working since I was 19, and people as little as 10 years older than me still say poo poo like "when you have a real job...".

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

It's cause there hasn't been a catchy name for youth better than 'millennial.' I hear kids straight outta high school call themselves millennials.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
who gets to be the Willennials?

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

I cannot wait for Jonathan Sun to be felled by whatever horrific skeletons exist in his closet

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Bushiz posted:

I cannot wait for Jonathan Sun to be felled by whatever horrific skeletons exist in his closet

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Infantalization has always been an effective tactic for excusing systems of exploitation, and the "long millenial" allows it to be applied generically. It's a means of reversing cause and effect: the group is powerless because they don't want power and thus it's my burden to take all of it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the worst part is that by and large, we're buying into this idiotic narrative while simultaneously declaring ourselves to be the most progressive, most open-minded, least capitalist generation ever. every generation creates their own myths and we are no exception

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Microcline posted:

Infantalization has always been an effective tactic for excusing systems of exploitation, and the "long millenial" allows it to be applied generically. It's a means of reversing cause and effect: the group is powerless because they don't want power and thus it's my burden to take all of it.

If anything it turns out that boomers and gen xers are spoiled petulant manchildren with no thought of consequences who push all responsibility onto everyone else while hoarding more wealth and power than they'll ever know what to do with

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If anything it turns out that boomers and gen xers are spoiled petulant manchildren with no thought of consequences who push all responsibility onto everyone else while hoarding more wealth and power than they'll ever know what to do with
like loving clockwork

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

generational warfare is exactly what capitalists want. it's always extremely dumb.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
Gen Z are gonna be doing the floss dance while we reactionary olds are being guillotined

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
besides boomers are an easy target for hate because they're this sort of bloviating, paternalistic evil that's easy to understand while gen-xer and millenial evil is either an inexplicably rich deadbeat dad trying to reintroduce himself into his child's life or a chittering hive of insect-like creatures with human skin wrapped tightly around it that's trying to understand why we cry when it pushes knives through our bodies versus why we cry when it pushes knives through our loved ones' bodies

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

got any sevens posted:

who gets to be the Willennials?

People whose prom played Will 2k? :shrug:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Smith.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Johnson
Williams
Washington
Jefferson

Just come up with stereotypical White American last names and you're covered

General Dog has issued a correction as of 15:58 on Nov 16, 2018

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Bad news everyone

https://mobile.twitter.com/StateStreetGA/status/1067754946559438849

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

It's gonna own watching Clinton and Harrison's people fight each other over who gets to have the first campaign photoshoot there

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

:whitewater:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

god i hate this country

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

NUTSIDE

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Whatever happened to the dog statue pissing on "Fearless Girl?" I miss that one.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Bogus Adventure posted:

Whatever happened to the dog statue pissing on "Fearless Girl?" I miss that one.

It wasn't an authorized statue, so it was removed shortly after the picture was taken.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i don't care where that statue goes as long as it stays far, far away from where i live

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

get that OUT of my face posted:

i don't care where that statue goes as long as it stays far, far away from where i live

Hi, I am Fearless Girl. Once you read this you cannot get out. Finish reading this until it is done!

As I said, I am Fearless Girl. I am 1 years old. I am covered in bronze and am a #resistance icon. I am liberal feminism. If you don't send this to at least 12 people I will come to your house at midnight and I'll hide under your bed. When you're asleep, I'll kill you.

Don't believe me?

Case 1: Seth Rich Got this e-mail. He doesn't believe in chain letters. Well, Foolish Seth.
he was sleeping when his TV started flickering on and off. Now he's not with us anymore. Ha ha Seth, Ha ha! You don't want to be like Seth, do you?

Case 2: John Podesta Hates chain mail, but he didn't want to die that night. He sent it to 4 people. Not good enough John. Now, John is in a coma, we don't know if he'll ever wake up. Ha ha John, Ha ha! Now, do you want to be like John?

Case 3: Chelsea Clinton she got this letter. Another chain letter she thought. Only had 7 people to send to. Well, That night when she was having a shower she saw bloody Mary in the mirror. It was the BIGGEST fright of her life. Chelsea is scarred for life.

Case 4: Donald Trump This is the final case I'll tell you about. Well, Donald was a smart person. He sent it to 12 people. Later that day, he found a piss tape on the ground. He was elected POTUS and Stormy Daniels said yes to his purposal. Now, Ivanka and him are living happily ever after. They have 5 beautiful children.

Send this to at least 12 people or you'll face the consequences.

0 people- You will die tonight
1-6 people- you will be injured
7-11 people- you will get the biggest fright of your life
12 and over- you are safe and will have good fortune!

Do What Fearless Girl Says!!!! Hurry, you must send to 12 people before midnight

Manky Tungeon
Jun 11, 2018
Old but

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1070736590396370944

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

lol they arent even gonna hide how its a far cry 5 reskin

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Bro Dad posted:

lol they arent even gonna hide how its a far cry 5 reskin

I'm fine with that, 5 was decent

Edit apparently it's a direct sequel, since one of the endings to 5 is that a nuke goes off

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Watch it be there attempt to do Fallout 76

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

MizPiz posted:

Watch it be there attempt to do Fallout 76

I hope they succeed at doing a Fallout 76, i.e. fail at making a good game and at everything even remotely related to games.