Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skylight
Nov 25, 2011

DIE TO THE DEATH!
SENTANCE TO DEATH!
GREAT EQUALIZER IS THE DEATH!

Y'all're making me want to do another LOTD attempt. ... Well, it's almost Halloween anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Skylight posted:

Y'all're making me want to do another LOTD attempt. ... Well, it's almost Halloween anyway.

Wait, we're about to hit the 11th anniversary of 11/11/11.

This feels significant somehow.

Skylight
Nov 25, 2011

DIE TO THE DEATH!
SENTANCE TO DEATH!

Vavrek posted:

Wait, we're about to hit the 11th anniversary of 11/11/11.

This feels significant somehow.

They're gonna do another pointless update, aren't they?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Skylight posted:

They're gonna do another pointless update, aren't they?

"gently caress your mods" says Todd Howard as he pulls the switch that adds a new update to fix some misplaced tree near Falkreath, which breaks every mod for some reason.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Wabbajack creator was hired by nexus. He'll be working on improving vortex. Hopefully wabbajack can stick around, it's open source so maybe it'll keep getting updates.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
That's like second high-profile mod tool creator that got hired to work on Vortex and I still don't feel Vortex is worth it? Does it do something better than MO2?

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 21, 2022

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Lt. Lizard posted:

That's like second high-profile mod tool creater that got hired to work on Vortex and I still don't feel Vortex is worth it? Does it do something better than MO2?

No. I use Vortex for modding FFXII and Vortex is clunkier in almost every which way compard to MO2.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Does Vortex have a MO2-like virtual filesystem? So files don't get dumped into your game install directory I mean.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Original MO guy is who made Vortex which is real sad at how much worse it is.

Nitis
Mar 22, 2003

Amused? I think not.

cheesetriangles posted:

Editing the ini files is enough and no need for flawless widescreen to get it to run in ultra unless you have another mod that overwrites that / are doing it wrong. The issue is the UI will be broken.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/1778

Will fix the ui.

Thanks for the reply.

I've edited the .ini files, and set them to read-only, but it defaults back to 800x600 when I launch through Mod Organizer. I've edited the .ini in Document/my games/Skyrim and steamapps/common/skyrim/Skyrim. Am I not editing the correct files?

SkyrimPrefs.ini

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

MO2 uses profiles and the ini files are stored within them, so editing the copies in My Documents has no effect. See this video for how to do it in MO2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ov9b1Gr6Ho

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
On the player housing topic I use Blackthorn as my base of operations and there are apparently patches to place it pre built if you don't want to deal with the bullshit of creating the whole town.

It's very cool but there are some bugs and glitches. I mentioned in a previous post that sometimes the weapons do not sit on the mounts correctly and will fall off when I leave and come back. I also see duplicated weapons sitting in the foyer when I come back sometimes. Also one of the dragon priest masks does not show visually when I place is on the bust, Vokun I think. I finally got a second mask and that one does work so no idea what the deal is there. There are also some weird lighting glitches but that's not much of a big deal to me.

One thing I recently noticed is that Blackthorn Manor does not appear in dialogue lists of player houses. Like when I've told an orphan or pet to go home, the vanilla and CC houses I own show up but not Blackthorn. It sounds like the Multiple Adoption Mod might be able to fix that? I am interested in installing that and "My Home is Your Home" so I can tell Lucien/Kaiden/Arissa to got to Blackthorn instead of their default places when I dismiss them. I just don't know if those are "safe" to install mid playthrough, or if MHiYH will actually do what I want it to, I'm never sure what plays right with custom framework followers.

Nitis
Mar 22, 2003

Amused? I think not.

v1ld posted:

MO2 uses profiles and the ini files are stored within them, so editing the copies in My Documents has no effect. See this video for how to do it in MO2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ov9b1Gr6Ho

That vid was super helpful, and I have it working in the correct size, now!

It didn't even occur to me there would be a vid on MO's usage.

Thanks a bunch!

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
Heyo everyone.
I bought Skyrim SE last week because I finally wanted to see what all the hubub was about.
Took around a day to familiarize myself with MO2, Nemesis and all those other funky mods that change the animation.

I wanted to have a playthrough where I go out of my way to not play those long range sniping stealth builds that always seem to dominate in Bethesda games.
I wanted to ask for some mod suggestions for the following:

*Anything that increases the smoothness of the combat beyond SCAR , MCO and Precision . Basically, anything that would make this game play more like Dark Souls / Elden Ring. Not because I have some bias to those games, but because they happen to be the last video games I played so I'm in the groove for that kind of combat.

*Anything magic related. I'm especially interested in Lightning , but projectile spells are of key interest .

*Armor mods. I don't want to have just grimy gritty realistic armor. Especially, I don't want boring mage robes for my character. Fanservice-y armor , I'm sorta tolerant of, but not to the degree of "here's an overhaul where we change this full platemail into a pair of pasties" .

*Extra combat dungeons, encounters etc. Any extra bit of content that has me fighting.

Otherwise I'm pretty much a complete noob at Skyrim. Even on launch I think I only played till I got to the mountain and got taught about the Dragon shouts.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

v1ld posted:

Which ones did you like? This is meant as the thread "you" - any house suggestions would be nice to have.

Here are the house mods that have made it into my mod list:

First is not a house but somewhere to stash the items you collect to keep them nice and safe and away from everyone, Dovahkiin's Vault SSE

Whiterun: Astronomer's Loft I use the optional file to buy the key from Arcadia after gaining her favour
Riften: Somnolent Nook sadly no option to buy the key but you can imagine that Bolli is that generous lol
Markarth: Markarth Scholars' Abode SE
Windhelm: Bal Ruhn SE
Solitude: Cityside - A Starter Home and also JK's The Winking Skeever comes with a small attic room you can buy

Out in the world I like:
Tel Jerdein - Telvanni Sorcerer Tower I play a lot of mages so use this house a lot
Cladach Cottage beautiful remote fishing themed cottage
Winter Cove this house is very out of the way but I really like it and it can be a useful sanctuary if you're in the area and need a warm bed for the night
Tumblestone Cottage handy place right in Riverwood
Yngol's Spear this is new for this playthrough and is probably the largest house I've liked so far. My only complaint is that there is too much free stuff in the containers inside
There is also a player home in The Midden Expanded which is pretty large and mage themed obviously and you have to work to get it

For the vanilla Skyrim houses I use Simple Player Homes Improvements which adds some basic stuff to them like ovens and extra beds etc and for the Hearthfire homes I use the old classic Hearthfire Extended

I've also downloaded this one that popped up last week but haven't checked it out in game yet Recluse's Shack

anyway, so my tastes run to small houses as I only use one follower at a time and as I use Dovahkiins Vault I don't really need loads of display space.

Skylight
Nov 25, 2011

DIE TO THE DEATH!
SENTANCE TO DEATH!

Sample_text posted:

*Armor mods. I don't want to have just grimy gritty realistic armor. Especially, I don't want boring mage robes for my character. Fanservice-y armor , I'm sorta tolerant of, but not to the degree of "here's an overhaul where we change this full platemail into a pair of pasties" .

You might want Immersive Armors and Xavbio's Immersive Armors retexture/mesh fixes for the armor. I'm not kidding about the retex; Xav basically does the opposite of 'full platemail -> pasties' with some pieces, which is great considering we're in the frozen goddamn north. There's also some pretty nifty robes in there, too.

Skylight fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 22, 2022

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I followed the water post on page 353 but now I am getting seams. :kstare:

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Thanks for all the house recos, both! That's a great list.

Sample_text posted:

*Anything that increases the smoothness of the combat beyond SCAR , MCO and Precision . Basically, anything that would make this game play more like Dark Souls / Elden Ring. Not because I have some bias to those games, but because they happen to be the last video games I played so I'm in the groove for that kind of combat.

I came straight off Elden Ring, loved it and I'm already a huge souls fan. Decided I want 3rd person and animation commitment but not the rest of the Souls design, so take some of what follows with that in mind.

For 3rd person combat and gameplay, you'll want to look at True Directional Movement, TrueHud, SmoothCam, Dynamic Collision Adjustment, One Click Power Attack and Better Third Person Selection (this last is key!) in addition to MCO|ADXP, SCAR, Precision, DAR, AMR. You'll want to run the speedandreachfixes Synthesis patcher if you're running Precision, just so the NPC AI has a better idea of what the true length of a weapon is.

The big Elden-Souls mod right now is Valhalla Combat and a bunch of others that implement poise and the like. Check DuffB's videos on YouTube and that person on the Skyrim Guild site who does their videos. There are ER movesets for MCO and SCAR if that's what you're looking for.

The downside to the stuff in the last para is that it doesn't integrate well with the rest of the game in terms of the perk trees, leveling, encounter design, just about everything. The melee combat by itself is good, but it feels like it was meant for a different game which it was.

I chose to stay away from everything in the 3rd para while running everything in the 2nd para because I
Wanted:
- 3rd person combat
- animation commitment
- good weapon movesets
- accurate collision detection
- good 3rd person gameplay in general, not just combat

Didn't want - like explicitly don't want this in my game:
- unleveled world - want the freedom to tackle things out of order or in any order and still have a fun time/challenge
- vanilla skyrim scaling / perk trees / loot tables - played this when it came out and it wasn't great for my tastes
- unleveled gameplay - I wanted the game to feel different from the Souls games' static difficulty, specifically want rpg-like level- and perk-based progression to mix things up

I disabled hit reactions and collision reactions (off shields and walls) in Precision because NPCs can't cope with either and it just drops the combat difficulty severely. These Precision features also invalidate perks in most perk overhauls.

Other than that I stayed away from all the ER and Souls movesets, they're too elaborate for this game, especially if you hand them out with SCAR to the NPCs. My favorite SCAR-enabled moveset is ADXP l MCO Nordic Animation Complete Pack. Based off AC Valhalla and feels good in this game.

The Verolevi animation mods are great for non-combat stuff, I use most of them. But I prefer to use the above animation set for the combat movesets. So I use all of Leviathan/Vanargand/Goetia/Sneak movement, but eschew all the weapon animations from their animations.

quote:

*Anything magic related. I'm especially interested in Lightning , but projectile spells are of key interest .

For the actual gameplay overhaul I'm running the full SimonRim suite and it's both brilliant and works brilliantly with the 3rd person stuff above. For loot leveling I use OWL, check my back posts for more on that and a patch, but I override OWLs encounter zones with SimonRim's Arena since the latter doesn't put upper caps on scaling. OWL is great, really happy with how loot has scaled so far in my game, though I'm just level 10.

All of the SimonRim stuff seems overly simplistic on paper but plays very well. They have massive synergies when used together, so I suggest going all or nothing with them.

I'm play a SpellBlade kind of character, sword in right hand & spell in left with robes + armor spells instead of actual armor, and am having a blast with SimonRim + all the 3p/animation stuff.

For leveling and experience, can't say too many good things about the Experience mod and the Static Skill Leveling add-on for it. But this is very unlike vanilla TES games so you may want to stick with the vanilla system if this is your first time through Skyrim.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Tankbuster posted:

I followed the water post on page 353 but now I am getting seams. :kstare:

What do they look like? I've not seen any, but I've only gone to Falkreath and Riften so far, just hit Solitude to start the LotD questline before going back to the SE part of the map.

My mod order (not load order!) is
- Cathedral - Water Overhaul (for the esp basically)
- wSkeever's Water Mod (but I move it esp to Optional so it's hidden, Cathedral's esp takes over - but do want the water textures from here)
- Water Effects Brightness and Reflection Fix

So, Cathedral's esp and Water Effects Brightness esp should be in the load order, but Water Mod's should not be.

This will make your water pretty transparent because that's how Cathedral does it. But it looks good in Skyrim given that should all be snow melt for the most part.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
I'm using the Septimus 2 loadout and I've just learned my screenshots aren't saving.

When I hit the PrintScreen button I get a notice that the shot is saved to C:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition but when I go to the folder there are no screenshots to be seen.

What could be causing this? I have no idea if it's a mod issue, a Skyrim issue, a permissions issue. I'm lost.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Does Septimus 2 use stock folder? If so I would check there rather than steam. I've found that it usually doesn't save where it says it does for screenshots.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Wiltsghost posted:

Does Septimus 2 use stock folder? If so I would check there rather than steam. I've found that it usually doesn't save where it says it does for screenshots.

It does thank you! I couldn't find them because they're not even saving as the same filetype as the notification says.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

So, there's a new amazing mod framework arrived on the modding scene, this one injects sound records at game start removing the need for patching with weather mods!

Sound Record Distributor

and the first mod to utilise it Regional Sounds Expansion

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Helith posted:

So, there's a new amazing mod framework arrived on the modding scene, this one injects sound records at game start removing the need for patching with weather mods!

Sound Record Distributor

and the first mod to utilise it Regional Sounds Expansion

poo poo YEAH.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Neat! All the various dynamic distribution stuff is so cool.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah, there's been a kind of Renaissance in Skyrim modding over the past two years or so. SPID and stuff like it are crazy.

Now if only we could get past "Oh poo poo Bethesda updated the game version again to fix a typo, guess my mods are broken for 8 months" thing...

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I mainly played Fallout 4 for a few years before coming back to Skyrim with AE and it's crazy how Skyrim modding is basically in the space travel age compared to Fallout being dudes riding horses. All the tools for Skyrim are so much more advanced and all the mods able to do so much more while being a lot more polished. The games actually have pretty similar amounts of players on Steam with Skyrim being a bit higher.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

cheesetriangles posted:

I mainly played Fallout 4 for a few years before coming back to Skyrim with AE and it's crazy how Skyrim modding is basically in the space travel age compared to Fallout being dudes riding horses. All the tools for Skyrim are so much more advanced and all the mods able to do so much more while being a lot more polished. The games actually have pretty similar amounts of players on Steam with Skyrim being a bit higher.

There's one notable difference, which is that Fallout 4's UI mods (particularly around inventory management) are much better. I'm not sure if it's upgrades behind the scenes Bethesda did that modders picked up on or just not as much attention, but I'd kill for the Fallout 4 mods' inventory management for Skyrim ingredients.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Question for people who frequently start new characters: don't you hate going through the beginning of the main quest over and over? Do you do the same side quests/faction quests every time?

I just can't imagine starting over, even though I've discovered mods I'd like to try but would be safer to start a new save to do so.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Epi Lepi posted:

Question for people who frequently start new characters: don't you hate going through the beginning of the main quest over and over? Do you do the same side quests/faction quests every time?

I just can't imagine starting over, even though I've discovered mods I'd like to try but would be safer to start a new save to do so.

It's not like you need to start the MQ before you start playing for the any of the guilds. Usually not quests from mods either, although those may make assumptions.

If I'm doing something that actually requires shouts, I'll go as far as meeting the greybeards for the first time and then just never grab their horn out of the tomb.

Hobo on Fire fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 1, 2022

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Epi Lepi posted:

Yes I hate it, but the alternative start mods ease the pain a lot. I mostly avoid faction quests and just wander around doing mod quests and exploration.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
This is a good Alternate Start add-on if you want to skip repeating the early game.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/41735

Though be warned, if you are using the experience mod you'll be like level 7 from it auto-completing a bunch of quests and still have starting skill levels.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Skyrim Unbound, while a bit janky and hard to understand at first, lets you start anywhere with any gear however you want. There's options for not being dragonborn (no dragon souls absorbs), whether or not you can use shouts, how you unlock shouts, whether you need souls or not, when/if dragons start spawning, etc. You can start the game as a bandit with a bounty, or as a soldier. Option to have enemy soldiers attack on sight too. Tons of options.

Alternate start is way more straightforward and easier to use, but it has way less options (only a few handcrafted specific scenarios) and it's made by arthmoor.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Alternate perspective is another choice for a custom start. basically ASLAL+

40Inch
Aug 15, 2002

I dig Realm of Lorkhan: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/18223

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Between LE and SE I have over 1000 hours in Skyrim and don't really mind it. I have just shy of 2000 hours in Fallout 4 and still keep doing it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

cheesetriangles posted:

Between LE and SE I have over 1000 hours in Skyrim and don't really mind it. I have just shy of 2000 hours in Fallout 4 and still keep doing it.

You've spent more time playing Skyrim and Fallout 4 than Liz Truss spent time being Prime Minister of the UK. Not combined, individually.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Skwirl posted:

You've spent more time playing Skyrim and Fallout 4 than Liz Truss spent time being Prime Minister of the UK. Not combined, individually.

I like to think that my time was better for society.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

cheesetriangles posted:

Skyrim just generally seems to have a more enthusiastic audience, and thus has the bulk of the modding talent on its side. Fallout 4 has fallen behind because it's just not as popular, but even still it's had some big mods over the past year or so. (Point Lookout and Project Zeta both released, for example).

But yeah, Skyrim modding is in a technical Renaissance right now. SKSE is even apparently doing things to diminish/eliminate the need for constant updating on SKSE mods whenever Bethesda fixes a typo and thus recompiles the .exe. No idea how that works or if they've completed it, but there's a lot of stuff happening on the coding side of things that allows modders to go even further.

I guess the deciding factor is that Skyrim more easily allows for animu futa waifu mods, if Nexus mods are anything to go by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

cheesetriangles posted:

I like to think that my time was better for society.

You would be correct.