Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
all three prequels sucked unfathomable amounts of poo poo

my personal least favorite was attack of the clones, but really they all loving sucked

i also thought the force awakens was bad/lazy as hell

:legion:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

super sweet best pal posted:

I thought it was the most Star Wars of the three. Still bad though.

This is only because of the Tatooine desert scenes. Just because the sets look good doesn't excuse the dialogue and acting in those scenes, I mean this movie made Liam Neeson want to retire. This movie introduced midichlorians ffs.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Agreed, they are absolute garbage. I saw them in theatres in my early teens and maybe once or twice years after. I have no desire to see them again, there's no sense that if a few things were tweaked they might be ok. They are garbage children's movies with fantastically terrible characters, dialog, and plots. The CG has aged horribly and they look like poo poo. If you are an adult or a child with any taste you are not the target audience and should not be thinking about these movies any more so than the live action cat in the hat or some other awful forgotten children's movie.

Then again I could say the same for comic book movies but it's for some reason become acceptable for adults to admit to seeing them.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Dmitri-9 posted:

Intellectuals love the prequels. I actually agree with her that there are some elements that are good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaW72ZchK6M

Intellectuals care more about things matching their preconceived notions than quality news at eleven.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Baronjutter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIXVvkdwzUc
Zizek explaining the plot of Star Wars Revenge of the Sith. I can't get over this.

Every time I hear him talk my eyes glaze over, roll back into my skull, and blood starts spraying out of my ears like something out of Tokyo Gore Police.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

HoAssHo posted:

I don't think Phantom Menace feels like a Star Wars movie.

It broke new ground.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The Matrix movies are exponentially uglier than any of the prequels.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The sound design of the prequels was good. But then Ben Burtt is a god at making space noises. The Podrace, however you feel about it, is a mechanical ear orgasm.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

Baronjutter posted:

Agreed, they are absolute garbage. I saw them in theatres in my early teens and maybe once or twice years after. I have no desire to see them again, there's no sense that if a few things were tweaked they might be ok. They are garbage children's movies with fantastically terrible characters, dialog, and plots. The CG has aged horribly and they look like poo poo. If you are an adult or a child with any taste you are not the target audience and should not be thinking about these movies any more so than the live action cat in the hat or some other awful forgotten children's movie.

Then again I could say the same for comic book movies but it's for some reason become acceptable for adults to admit to seeing them.

I think it's okay to admit to seeing them and just enjoying them on a superficial level as light entertainment - but it's pathetic when people get into arguments about them and care about them way more than they warrant.

I watched part of X-Men First Class on cable recently (sober) and at one point I just started busting out laughing hysterically at how loving silly this stuff is - all these people with special powers flying around and fighting in goofy outfits - and the idea of adults having Very Serious Opinions about this stuff and devoting large portions of their lives into thinking about it and getting all emotional about it.

I'm not saying anything new here obviously but the ridiculousness of this whole thing just hit me really hard suddenly. I imagined aliens or people in the future looking at our lives and just being completely puzzled by the importance we put on these goofy entertainment properties.

(And I'm not talking about just casually discussing them like we do in this thread - I'm talking about the kind of people who write angry screeds at RLM for having the wrong Star Wars opinions).

HoAssHo fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 26, 2017

Khym
Jun 11, 2002
prequels bad

mike good

rich evans

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Khym posted:

prequels bad

mike good

rich evans

I think we found the next thread title everybody!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

RaySmuckles posted:

all three prequels sucked unfathomable amounts of poo poo

my personal least favorite was attack of the clones, but really they all loving sucked

i also thought the force awakens was bad/lazy as hell

:legion:

force awakens was good but i can see the lazy argument somewhat.

however rich said it best star wars is actually very small and it really only works with those specific characters and as a hero's journey. everything else sucks poo poo and is just for consumption by people that actually would use the term "fandom" unironically.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
It turns out Star Wars is just what you get when you put a marx brothers routine in space.

What's that? The marx brothers are dead?

Welp.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
According to the goonhirim I'm weird for never liking the prequels, the walking dead, gotham, or NOFX.

Whether it's because I'm a forums grandpa or a fake geek, I'm okay with this.

Khym
Jun 11, 2002

reignofevil posted:

I think we found the next thread title everybody!

:3

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

According to the goonhirim I'm weird for never liking the prequels, the walking dead, gotham, or NOFX.

same

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Groovelord Neato posted:

however rich said it best star wars is actually very small and it really only works with those specific characters and as a hero's journey. everything else sucks poo poo and is just for consumption by people that actually would use the term "fandom" unironically.

this is why knights of the old republic is the only good thing to come out of star wars EU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Never seen the last two. Don't even know what the last one is. And the Walking Dead is terrible, I saw one (or maybe it was two) episodes of that trash at a friend's recommendation and just hated it.

Also Terminator is better than Terminator 2.

a bone to pick posted:

this is why knights of the old republic is the only good thing to come out of star wars EU

It's just too bad the art direction in them is generally just terrible.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

a bone to pick posted:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I forget, which crappy half-remake review had the invention of "soft seaboot"?

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

HoAssHo posted:

I think it's okay to admit to seeing them and just enjoying them on a superficial level as light entertainment - but it's pathetic when people get into arguments about them and care about them way more than they warrant.

I watched part of X-Men First Class on cable recently (sober) and at one point I just started busting out laughing hysterically at how loving silly this stuff is - all these people with special powers flying around and fighting in goofy outfits - and the idea of adults having Very Serious Opinions about this stuff and devoting large portions of their lives into thinking about it and getting all emotional about it.

I'm not saying anything new here obviously but the ridiculousness of this whole thing just hit me really hard suddenly. I imagined aliens or people in the future looking at our lives and just being completely puzzled by the importance we put on these goofy entertainment properties.

(And I'm not talking about just casually discussing them like we do in this thread - I'm talking about the kind of people who write angry screeds at RLM for having the wrong Star Wars opinions).

That scene where all the cool kids show off their powers in a lounge took me right out of the movie. If their dialog was just "exposition exposition exposition" it would have been more natural.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

super sweet best pal posted:

I forget, which crappy half-remake review had the invention of "soft seaboot"?

it's from the gently caress you its january 2017 video. they were talking about alien covenant.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

HoAssHo posted:

This is an incredibly weird time we're living in, i agree. I'm still wondering when the bubble will burst and superhero movies, comic book movies, etc stop being so popular. They will never disappear entirely (after all, there are still Westerns) but there's got to be a point where they arent the number 1 at the box office anymore and studios stop making so many of them. Same thing goes for "geek culture" in general. When will it recede? Its been going strong for like a decade already.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I like Force Awakens. Not because I think it's good, it's ok, but because after I saw it a fellow I know that's a middle aged man with serious opinions about The Star Wars was crying to me about how it ruined the jedi, and the force, and turned it all into a "clown show." In that moment I understood on a deep fundamental level that I no longer gave the slightest gently caress about anything Star Wars, and never wanted to see it or discuss it again.

So thanks J.J. Abrams for breaking that man and ensuring I'll never end up like him.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Blue Star posted:

This is an incredibly weird time we're living in, i agree. I'm still wondering when the bubble will burst and superhero movies, comic book movies, etc stop being so popular. They will never disappear entirely (after all, there are still Westerns) but there's got to be a point where they arent the number 1 at the box office anymore and studios stop making so many of them. Same thing goes for "geek culture" in general. When will it recede? Its been going strong for like a decade already.

Eight more years until it starts slowing down.

Fifteen until they are officially "dethroned" as it were by something.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

reignofevil posted:

Eight more years until it starts slowing down.

Fifteen until they are officially "dethroned" as it were by something.

Cant tell if youre serious but in case you are: why 8 years before "slowing down" and 15 until it is "dethroned"?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

girth brooks part 2 posted:

I like Force Awakens. Not because I think it's good, it's ok, but because after I saw it a fellow I know that's a middle aged man with serious opinions about The Star Wars was crying to me about how it ruined the jedi, and the force, and turned it all into a "clown show." In that moment I understood on a deep fundamental level that I no longer gave the slightest gently caress about anything Star Wars, and never wanted to see it or discuss it again.

So thanks J.J. Abrams for breaking that man and ensuring I'll never end up like him.

i'd love to understand this dude's logic after the prequels already took a nice steamy turd on everything that had to do with the force and the jedi in particular.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 26, 2017

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Blue Star posted:

Cant tell if youre serious but in case you are: why 8 years before "slowing down" and 15 until it is "dethroned"?

Obviously it's 8 years until Avatar 2 comes out and then 15 years until Avatar fever reaches an apex with Avatar 6.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
If you like the prequels you're either completely tuned out, experiencing unprecedented levels of cognitive dissonance, or outright hate Yoda's amazing dissertation on what the force is and how it works.

That 20 seconds is the emotional core of the whole drat thing.

HOW can anyone like the prequels????????

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

i'd love to understand this dude's logic after the prequel already took a nice steamy turd on everything that had to do with the force and the jedi in particular.

I don't get it either, that was my first thought was well, but dude loves the prequels.

Space Taxi
Oct 31, 2016

FrensaGeran posted:

Nah it's Pierce Brosnan

*gets immediately murdered in every possible way*

I don't hate Mr Brosnan as Bond.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

oh he's one of those dudes that goes oh mace windu is using the baki shii school of lightsaber combat which mixes some dark side elements! he's using stance IV in this scene! and completely missed the poo poo GLISTENING HODOR was talking about.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like all the Bonds. They're all good even if some of their movies suck.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Blue Star posted:

Idk I just thought "How long can dumb rear end rubes seriously keep going to see the same thing before they start getting bored" and my insides said "about a bit less than a decade" and then I asked how long it'd take before some dumb rear end movie executive would figure out the next recipe to make a billion dollars and thought "about a decade after that"

Space Taxi
Oct 31, 2016

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Maybe I just imagined this but is there a part in Skyfall where the gay villain tries to sexually intimidate Bond and then Bond forces himself a half chub to throw him off guard?

I always got the impression that Bond swung both ways. They just edited out those scenes for the movie. Bond would totally gently caress a dude to get the McGuffin.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

It'll stop once more movie theaters start closing.

Space Taxi
Oct 31, 2016

bloom posted:

Dark and violent revenge movies are way better than comic book movies so clearly Korea is way better than Hollywood.

I can't argue with this logic.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Space Taxi posted:

I always got the impression that Bond swung both ways. They just edited out those scenes for the movie. Bond would totally gently caress a dude to get the McGuffin.

"For queen and country".

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

If you like the prequels you're either completely tuned out, experiencing unprecedented levels of cognitive dissonance, or outright hate Yoda's amazing dissertation on what the force is and how it works.

There's also film studies students who may or may not be trolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I like all the Bonds. They're all good even if some of their movies suck.

George Lazenby Fan Club member #1 spotted

• Locked thread