Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Never played Shovel Knight but I'm bored. Do I start with Treasure Trove or Spectre of Torment?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Is there a fix yet for the bug where if your Switch is docked but in sleep mode, it changes the HDMI input on your TV? I know it is a problem with newer Samsung TVs because I have had this issue since I got my switch.

This is related to piping audio from your TV to your receiver. Disable Anynet+/whatever it's called and you should be good. (note: this means that you'll have to re-enable it if you want your OTA TV audio to go through your fancy speakers vs the built-in ones)

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Treasure Trove is the full game iirc, which has campaigns for each knight so far released and the future ones whereas buying just the specter of torment is a single one.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Boosh! posted:

Never played Shovel Knight but I'm bored. Do I start with Treasure Trove or Spectre of Torment?

Start with the original campaign which I guess is Treasure Trove now. Do them in order of release.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Thanks fellas, i follow now.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Only get treasure trove, but also IMHO jump around the different knights, it's a good palate cleanser from time to time. Especially if you get stuck!

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Boosh! posted:

Treasure Trove contains all the Shovel Knight content including Spectre of Torment. Get it, you won't regret it.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Shovel of Hope is the title of Shovel Knight's campaign now. I think starting with that one is worthwhile because the two that follow mix up some things that would feel familiar if you've played the original campaign, and it's easier to appreciate what they're going for if you've done that.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Chronojam posted:

It's a Samsung TV issue with other devices and no option to disable it :( My sound bar sometimes makes the TV switch over to its channel which is just a static logo.

It happens with lg too. Switch is the only console that does it but ive seen lots of complaints about pcs doing it too.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Some official Nintendo media assets that were released during the Direct this week.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
So how does the e-shop work on this console? I remember reading a while back about it not being active or something, but cursory google search mentions that it exists now. I despise keeping my games on physical media; are the games for the switch available electronically?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The eShop has been active since launch, and every retail game also has a digital version available there.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Dirk the Average posted:

So how does the e-shop work on this console? I remember reading a while back about it not being active or something, but cursory google search mentions that it exists now. I despise keeping my games on physical media; are the games for the switch available electronically?

It's... just an online store and has been there since the system launched? And has all the games.

When they're talking about online coming later this year, they're talking about paid online.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
So is Rayman Legends the better of the two between that and Origins? Or are they both supposed to be good?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Rayman Legends contains most of the levels from Origins as unlocks and is also its own game with tons of content. It is a great game.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Supercar Gautier posted:

The eShop has been active since launch, and every retail game also has a digital version available there.

Phantasium posted:

It's... just an online store and has been there since the system launched? And has all the games.

When they're talking about online coming later this year, they're talking about paid online.

Glad to hear it! Definitely going to try to pick one up once I get a chance then. I guess I somehow conflated the paid online and the e-shop?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Real hurthling! posted:

It happens with lg too. Switch is the only console that does it but ive seen lots of complaints about pcs doing it too.

Weird - last I heard no PC graphics card actually supports HDMI CEC. My PS4 sometimes switches channel because it was set to wake from rest and change input when the TV turned on I think? I managed to disable that in settings. IIRC there's a CEC setting in the Switch too, does it do nothing?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Dirk the Average posted:

• E-shop works good
  • Different region games can be bought by making a new account and buying the game with a points card, it will show up on the homescreen no matter which account bought them
  • You'll want a big(ish) SD card if you're going all digital

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Somebody tell me how big the eshop version of Binding of Isaac is please. I asked a while ago but nobody ever answered me

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

monkeu posted:

Somebody tell me how big the eshop version of Binding of Isaac is please. I asked a while ago but nobody ever answered me

607Mb

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Thanks!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

If it particularly matters to anyone

Neo Turf Masters - 99.2Mb
Shovel Knight Treasure Trove - 147Mb
Blaster Master Zero - 183Mb
Splatoon 2 Global Testfire - 408Mb
The Binding of Isaac Afterbirth+ - 607Mb
Puyo Puyo Tetris Demo - 685Mb
Just Dance 2017 Demo - 901Mb
Snipperclips - 946Mb
Snake Pass - 4.1Gb

Save Data
1-2-Switch - 0Mb
Zelda BotW - 161Mb
Super Bomberman R - 239Mb

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Zelda save data should be 64mb. The number you have is the patch size I'm pretty sure.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is going to be 6.75GB
Wonderboy Dragon's Trap is probably going to be around 1Gb~

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_cfPNbwIUI

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
When's the phone app coming out? I thought it would be available in time for Mario Kart.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

WHY BONER NOW posted:

When's the phone app coming out? I thought it would be available in time for Mario Kart.

Fall

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It's out already

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/nintendo-switch-parental-controls/id1190074407?mt=8
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nintendo.znma&hl=en

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Oh you're talking to poo poo-talking voice app

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I still can't believe voice chat is restricted to a phone app.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Spacebump posted:

It's what a lot of people did for games that had voice chat like monhun already

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I just wish the Switch had an online service as good as 360 era XBL.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Dammit, when I first read about TumbleSeed I was told it was a Metroidvania pinball game, and while I had no idea what that would look like I was very hyped. I'm disappointed with what I see.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Spacebump posted:

It's kinda dumb, yeah, but at least I won't have to buy another headset.

I just hope the app is synced to what's happening in-game like the Splatoon devs indicated.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Yeah, i just watched the video and the person who said that 20fps was an exaggeration clearly never finished the video enough to get to the point where they said that the portable mode was clearly worse lol

i admit i just skipped to the point in the video where i saw the framerate graph. i went back and yeah portable mode looks unplayable so if that's how you primarily play switch then lego city undercover is a definite skip

SeANMcBAY posted:

It's kinda dumb, yeah, but at least I won't have to buy another headset.

I just hope the app is synced to what's happening in-game like the Splatoon devs indicated.

i'd honestly rather buy a lovely headset than have my phone sitting around on speaker, but also my friends and i usually use discord while playing games anyway

Spacebump posted:

I just wish the Switch had an online service as good as 360 era XBL.

it's honestly ridiculous when you consider that this is their third online console and they still don't have this poo poo figured out

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 16, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Cardboard Box posted:

i'd honestly rather buy a lovely headset than have my phone sitting around on speaker, but also my friends and i usually use discord while playing games anyway

You could use a headset on your phone though too.

My main gripe with it is not being able to hear game audio and voice through the same headset at the same time. I doubt the app will stream game audio from the Switch.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Dammit, when I first read about TumbleSeed I was told it was a Metroidvania pinball game, and while I had no idea what that would look like I was very hyped. I'm disappointed with what I see.

Understandable, although I'd be more irritated at whoever looked at "tilt control marble game" and described it as "pinball" :psyduck:

It'd be like someone looking an rpg with turn-based combat and describing it as "3rd person hack and slash" or something

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

You could use a headset on your phone though too.

My main gripe with it is not being able to hear game audio and voice through the same headset at the same time. I doubt the app will stream game audio from the Switch.

best case scenario the phone is just a social app for making parties and it blue tooth talks to the switch to handoff the chat audio and whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

yeah that's kind of the big thing. hearing game audio is important, especially in a shooter.

• Locked thread