Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

LLSix posted:

SS 56 & 57, the RR comments are weirdly calm. Its like they don't think Alden is basically dead. Some of them are even talking about the cool powerup he's going to get from this. Which is generally not how dying works, not even in Discworld, unless your name is Mort.

It is a web serial, everyone knows he will be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Yeah, the question that you ask in web serials is "how is the MC going to get out of this bind", not "will the MC get out of this bind". No one actually thinks they might die or even suffer major lasting consequences.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

That's most books tbh. It's not if the protagonist will live, it's if they'll live without being all messed up inside.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Nettle Soup posted:

That's most books tbh. It's not if the protagonist will live, it's if they'll live without being all messed up inside.

Yep. Also the lives of their friends and enemies. How successful they are at accomplishing their goals. How they change or don't change under certain pressures.

As a writer, I find that killing a character is one of the least interesting thing I can do to them and so if I must then I will often intentionally charge their death with as much meaning as possible in order to make their death narratively satisfying. Except when I don't do that and just allow someone to die for no reason with no satisfaction at all. Minimal narrative, no moral and certainly little if any satisfaction for the reader.

It's one of the tricks that I learned to use. The highs seem higher if the lows seem lower and vice versa. You can have someone's death be full of meaning and they get to see all of their loved ones and you can learn about how they've touched the lives of everyone. And then I'm called back to one of my favorite scenes in one of my favorite shows, Legend of Galactic Heroes. Where one of the main characters, Yang Wenli, extraordinary general with extraordinary foes, some of which who deeply respect him and you're waiting for this confrontation or showdown between larger than life figures that's been building up for more than a hundred episodes and it turns out that he just gets shot by this faceless soldier during a battle because war be like that sometimes and we never figured out who killed him. And it's just so unsatisfying, but it also feels true. Sometimes motherfuckers just get got. No resolution. No moral.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I love Slumrat (Ch 111)

quote:

Even in Siphios, that couldn’t be a wise career move. Or life choice generally. Besides, “Do you think I should work for an old monster in his suicidal campaign against the most powerful people and corporation in the world, an act that, even if successful, will harm thousands and possibly millions?” is not a great question to ask anyone, let alone a stranger. He had the faint, absurd notion of going and chatting with Old Mek’elle, but, again, maybe not the most useful source. He sighed and patted the extra real wall.

“I don’t suppose I could talk to you, Nag-Hamadi?”

“Sure, why not?”

Truth jumped so hard he slammed into the ceiling.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I mean, LoGH's central premise is that war is senseless and indiscriminate, so it fits the theme

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Sax Battler posted:

I've been enjoying Dungeon Planet.
It's about an aspiring human dungeon diver in a very much non-human dominated sci-fi/magic universe.
Some system stuff, but not too much, and it's treated as something very alien, since it, well, is.
Still early days, but I've liked it so far.

quote:

“I can play human,” Trin said. “Eeeh I am human. I wash in acid. Give me the rent moneys. I am bald like a fruit. I hate naked and I hate sleeping near a face.”
as a sucker for the "aliens talking about being human" joke, I liked this

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

DungeonPlanet posted:

It’s probably best if Trin doesn’t come to Earth.

I laughed.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I should watch LoGH again. Or is there a book version?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I've started going mad. At books which are written like this. It's like the comma doesn't exist, except occasionally, as a treat. Then they forget about it again. And go back to writing like murderers.

Now I've noticed it, it sucks the enjoyment out of a lot of stuff.

This Dungeon Planet story looks good though, and doesn't have that issue.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Nettle Soup posted:

I've started going mad. At books which are written like this. It's like the comma doesn't exist, except occasionally, as a treat. Then they forget about it again. And go back to writing like murderers.

Now I've noticed it, it sucks the enjoyment out of a lot of stuff.

This Dungeon Planet story looks good though, and doesn't have that issue.

The comma is frequently over and under used, depending on the author. I tend towards comma over use when I write, so I make a conscious effort to remove unnecessary ones.
Many serial writers have an annoying cadence that can make reading a story painful when you notice it.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Personally as long as I understand what someone is trying to convey to me, I don't really care about punctuation or even capitalization.

I'm also remembering the transition from high school to college in how papers were graded. In high school, papers were graded for content, not punctuation because no one really gave a poo poo about punctuation so long as you were basically competent. When I got to my first English class in college, I got a D because my usage of commas and such weren't perfect. The content dragged my rear end across the finish line to get a D, but that was it and because my education system was poo poo, no one really trained me in the kind of writing that less than 1% of the population gives a poo poo about. In response, I started writing short, choppy sentences (like a murderer) with zero commas and started getting A's. I'd simplified my sentences to the point where the only punctuation marks were periods, question marks and exclamation points because I would've failed otherwise.

English is difficult enough with all of its stupid, nonsense rules for me to care. As long as meaning is conveyed, I'm good.

Weird cadence does bother me tho.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

The latest Practical Guide to Sorcery Patreon chapter (172) is, uh, loving nuts.

These lads are way too keen to kill their former coworkers, what the hell. And the government is going to go loving ape after this. Kicked hornets nest isn't in it.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

The latest Practical Guide to Sorcery Patreon chapter (172) is, uh, loving nuts.

These lads are way too keen to kill their former coworkers, what the hell. And the government is going to go loving ape after this. Kicked hornets nest isn't in it.

I hope Siobhan finally realizes that she’s not just normal/lucky after this. She did admit to herself that she can see/feel everything that happens in darkness, perhaps that will cause her to reevaluate why everyone who encounters her shadow breaks down in panic when she thinks it’s just a trick.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Peachfart posted:

I tend towards comma over use when I write, so I make a conscious effort to remove unnecessary ones.

I also have this issue, except it also extends to things like parentheses and semicolons. In the past year or so I've been trying to go back through stuff I write and break up sentences where possible.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I think it was Department of Dungeon Studies that broke me, although it was Singer Soldier Merchant Mage which made me first notice it. It sucks because I wanted to like Dungeon Studies, but my brain just can't deal with the cadence.

quote:

Nox had little trouble justifying his behavior with Edward and Louis. The first of the two had gone out of his way to make the relationship as sour as possible. Nox blamed Lord Gedge to some extent. Queen Mercer was more than happy to ignore Nox after she pushed him out of the main house. She wanted to desperately forget her first husband, his family, and the child she made with him. Meanwhile, Lord Gedge took it upon himself to tarnish the Ratra name, and his wife did little to stop him.

The Imperium lord clearly hated all who originated from beyond the Sapphire Straits. All people that looked like Nox and his paternal family started as prisoners of war in the Imperium and lived as lower-class citizens. Some, like Roque’s family, had broken through the class disparity using grit and entrepreneurial spirit. And people like Lord Gedge resented them for it. Nox suspected that the many wars and the resulting losses played a role in blind hatred.

I've never really worked out how to use semi-colons, and that's probably for the best.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Nettle Soup posted:

I think it was Department of Dungeon Studies that broke me, although it was Singer Soldier Merchant Mage which made me first notice it. It sucks because I wanted to like Dungeon Studies, but my brain just can't deal with the cadence.

I've never really worked out how to use semi-colons, and that's probably for the best.

That cadence makes everything written feel extremely... stale? Probably the wrong word for that, but that first paragraph fails the 'commas should be used to link connecting sentences together' rule as hard as I have seen it fail.

Edit: It is like writing 'I like food. Food is food. My favorite food is bread. The best bread is sourdough.' like you are in 2nd grade.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nettle Soup posted:

"She wanted to desperately forget" lol

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
An oversimplified but almost accurate rule is that you can always replace a semicolon with a period and get a grammatically correct result, and you can never replace a comma with a period.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

semicolons are for tying two sentences together if they are related enough that you want the reader to treat them as a single thought; for example, because you don't want them to take the mental break between sentences that they normally would.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

I loving love semicolons.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Plorkyeran posted:

An oversimplified but almost accurate rule is that you can always replace a semicolon with a period and get a grammatically correct result, and you can never replace a comma with a period.

Also, somewhat rarely, they can be used for lists where members of the list use commas already. Like:
"Jim, the artist; Tom, the guitarist; and Tim, the lawyer went out for some beers."

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Hungry posted:

For me, it's the em dash.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
TTOU 23 is a very good chapter. Its heavy.

Good story!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

There are certain grammar things that I think people just get stuck in their head and can't ignore. I remember one time in high school when I had "That said" in an essay corrected to "That being said," and now that always comes to mind when I see one or the other.

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

For me, it's the em dash.

My boss is always talking about this, though in the context of replacing the short dash with the em dash.

Hungry posted:

I also use them a lot. The best way I can explain them is that they're meant to be the text version of "immediately following up a sentence with another one." In my mind it corresponds to a tonal difference between that and starting a new sentence.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I always use the technique of checking grammar by saying the sentence 'out loud', whether mentally or actually out loud. That makes it simple to check proper grammar, but at the same time, would be impossible for your average web serial writer to use due to the sheer volume most put out.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Also the Arkendrithyst Patreon Book 8 end just came out and it rules.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

I also use them a lot. The best way I can explain them is that they're meant to be the text version of "immediately following up a sentence with another one." In my mind it corresponds to a tonal difference between that and starting a new sentence.

yeah, they're a way to make your writing less stilted. if two thoughts flow together they should be linked together, not broken apart by a period. overuse is also bad tho

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Peachfart posted:

I always use the technique of checking grammar by saying the sentence 'out loud', whether mentally or actually out loud. That makes it simple to check proper grammar, but at the same time, would be impossible for your average web serial writer to use due to the sheer volume most put out.

There are a few tools they could use like:
https://languagetool.org/
https://www.grammarly.com/grammar-check

Which can go a long way to cleaning up a first draft.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Grammarly is great, but it doesn’t catch everything. It also really hates made up words or non-standard names.

I used it a lot when I was writing regularly. Now it keeps auto-renewing even when I cancel. Whenever it does, my wife has been using it for work reports and emails.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

LLSix posted:

Grammarly is great, but it doesn’t catch everything. It also really hates made up words or non-standard names.

I used it a lot when I was writing regularly. Now it keeps auto-renewing even when I cancel. Whenever it does, my wife has been using it for work reports and emails.

I know both LanguageTool and Grammarly now have a "personal dictionary" which you can add words to, so it doesn't flag them as being misspelled.

LanguageTool also seems to have a better privacy policy, and it can be self-hosted for free too, though the self-hosted version won't get all the stuff a paid sub will.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The Gods are Bastards started updating again :)

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Fajita Queen posted:

The Gods are Bastards started updating again :)

Yeah, the writer had a mental health issue that triggered whenever they worked on Only Villains Do That, so they decided to go back to their older serial(TGAB).

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

drat I hadn't heard about that part :(

I haven't caught up with OVDT in like a year, maybe I should do that at some point.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Fajita Queen posted:

drat I hadn't heard about that part :(

I haven't caught up with OVDT in like a year, maybe I should do that at some point.

there's no rush, he stopped at a pretty hefty cliffhanger

basically he made his world too grimdark and it started affecting him

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

nah he's been pretty upfront about the fact that his mental health cracked real bad while writing TGAB, and taking up writing OVDT was the alternative he came up with. maybe one could assume that the tone of the latter was a way of handling those feelings but that's not really anyone's business.

Magical Girl Gunslinger went on hiatus for the same reason from what I saw... hope they all take care of themselves in any case

Ramie fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 30, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Something about TTO:U's protagonist's inner dialogue gives similar vibes to Alden's in Super Supportive. Not sure why, but something about it feeling down to earth and relatable.

I've been liking how Aspen is frequently wrong about things, but in ways that I'd also be wrong in the same situation. Like with all the weird physics stuff involved with the ship; the part where he turns off the rotation but doesn't consider the fact that the ship's deceleration would prevent it from actually being like zero-G was basically the exact same thing I'd probably do in that situation, along with realizing my mistake after going through with it. As the reader I'm going "oh yeah!" along with Aspen.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

Peachfart posted:

Also the Arkendrithyst Patreon Book 8 end just came out and it rules.
Yeah
It's absolutely amazing how the revelations in this book both perfectly slot into all the previous worldbuilding
and recontextualizes everything at the same time

Like seriously when did The Killing Sun first get namedropped? It was ages ago! He's been building to this for so long.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
SupSup71: "You never say anything that makes me hate you." Dear god these boys are too precious.

End of Book 8 Arkendrithyst: It is a lot of fun. I adore how dorky FENRIS is. That all being said, Erick keeps saying he isn't Xoat, and then he does poo poo like hurl himself into being an astronaut all alone in space. You're sending fate mixed signals, Erick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SupSup71:

Looks like Alden can actually use his skill as a pretty effective shield now that it's powered up. Probably wouldn't hold up against an Avowed with significant points in Strength, but it seems like the sort of thing that could (for example) deflect bullets at some point, if not already. Now I'm curious to see him try the new enchantment bearing thing.

It's also nice (for Alden's sake) that he can actually get a full night's sleep now, which implies that the insomnia-causing discomfort is only after an affixation.

edit: Also, Alden is absolutely screwing himself over by contracting Natalie to make all his meals. He's never going to be able to appreciate normal food again once it's over (since as Stuart says, having an S-Rank Ryeh'bt with Cook of the Moment cook all your meals is just comically extravagant).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 30, 2023